• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

myco666

Should I get it the free "fighting chance pack" DLC? I don't want to have an unfair advantage while playing the game.

It's not really that unfair advantage. The amount of green gel you get is small and only gets you few upgrades. You can also opt to not use the shotgun you get with the code and the from the two bolts you get only the other one is good but it costs too much resources to be worth it.

Reedirect

Finished it for the second time on NG+ yesterday and now playing on Akumu and BOY is that much harder than I expected. I'm ok with one hit kill, but the enemies are nearly impossible to stealth kill in the opening village chapters.

Anyway, I'm slowly realizing that this is probably my GOTY for the year. It was definitely a contender after my first playthrough and the second time on NG+ sealed it. Every time I see someone else play it during a stream or an LP, I get the urge to dip back in. Even though the story is mostly non-sensical and not all chapters are winners, the gameplay and the art style just keep pulling me back in.

fcobento

Neo Member
Guys... i'm stuck!
How the hell do i kill
that monster in chapter 10??? I

I shoot him with 4 explosive arrows, 3 bombs, several shotgun shots and the thing turns purple and then eats me with what looks like a giant cunt.

Guys... i'm stuck!
How the hell do i kill
that monster in chapter 10??? I

I shoot him with 4 explosive arrows, 3 bombs, several shotgun shots and the thing turns purple and then eats me with what looks like a giant cunt.

He'll have a "shoot me here" glowy during his second phase, so shoot him there. Go into the rooms to get some free shots in, too.

stn

I'm on the last chapter, close to beating it. Planning to do a run under 5 hours and an akumu playthrough. Any tips on both? Upgrades to focus on? Is akumu really one hit and death?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm on the last chapter, close to beating it. Planning to do a run under 5 hours and an akumu playthrough. Any tips on both? Upgrades to focus on? Is akumu really one hit and death?

Akumu is really one hit and death, and not only that, but the game is harder than Survival difficulty because Akumu has the Nightmare difficulty enhancements, which makes it so enemies from near the end of the game appear towards the beginning of the game, there's more enemies, and they're all a LOT more aggressive (the best example I can give towards this is unlike on normal difficulty, on Nightmare and Akumu the enemies will SPRINT like hell after you, they are about as fast as you and will book it, and they also will spot you while sneaking a lot easier and seem to be able to spot you from much further away), as well as more traps and other changes.

For 5 hours, just get caught up with fighting enemies as little as possible, most areas you don't have to defeat the enemies to continue, and try to not take too long to collect things off the beaten path unless you really need it.

stn

Cool, thanks. Best weapons to upgrade for akumu? I'm guessing it will be pointless to upgrade health and syringe recovery, so I'll put everything in run speed. Is it worth upgrading melee? I only ask because it might be risky to actually attack enemies up close.

so1337

To the person who gave the boss from chapter 10 an instant kill in it's second phase: I don't like you.

I tried to beat that fucker for more than an hour. Fucking hell. I need to go to bed.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
To the person who gave the boss from chapter 10 an instant kill in it's second phase: I don't like you.

I tried to beat that fucker for more than an hour. Fucking hell. I need to go to bed.

I'm going to fight it tonight, as I just started ch 10.
Any tips?

stn

Well, I just beat it. I think its a solid 7.5/10 game. It just has tons of problems.

-The story...sucks.
-Its not scary, just very creepy.
-Combat is solid but not good when you're forced to move a lot
-Stealth needs work
-The camera for sneaking SUCKS
-The black borders SUCK
-Some parts do nothing but frustrate

I still enjoyed it though. But I'm dreading the akumu run. Think I'll shelf this game for a long time before I play it again

John Harker

I am loving this game but no kidding WOA Chapter 10 is insane. I mean, like two bosses?! A lot of variety in this chapter and the pace was intense it: took me two hours. I must have died ten times, if not a few more.

I'm 11 hours in and at the beginning of Ch 11... How much do I have left?

Please tell me the remaining chapters aren't like this one haha

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Turns out the chapter 10 boss does not know how to deal with circle strafing in the second phase. #exploits

its second phase
was reeeeeally easy: I killed it immediately not leaving him take a breath: shoot, shoot, shoot.

Finished Chapter 12: the final part was indeed horrible:
that machine gun part was LOL WTF? I dind't like it at all.
I confim that I vastly preferred Chapter 11 over this one. Chapter 10 was even better, but I loved also the very different atmosphere that Chpt 10 VS Chpt 11 one aside each other were able to provide.

Nemmy

Finished Chapter 12: the final part was indeed horrible:
that machine gun part was LOL WTF? I dind't like it at all.

Am I really the only one who found it kind of a dirty pleasure? The sense of empowerment after all that vulnerability and resource management was kinda awesome.

stn

I just want to talk about the story for a sec, because I haven't been able to make sense of it.
So, Sebastian was knocked out at the beginning and hooked up to that bathtub machine, right? And the whole game was basically a nightmare he was having? But, it was actually all real since we saw Leslie leave the hospital at the very end????

myco666

I just want to talk about the story for a sec, because I haven't been able to make sense of it.
So, Sebastian was knocked out at the beginning and hooked up to that bathtub machine, right? And the whole game was basically a nightmare he was having? But, it was actually all real since we saw Leslie leave the hospital at the very end????

Everything that happens in the game happens after Sebastian was kidnapped and linked to Ruviks brain this explains why he sees Ruvik even though Ruvik is reduced to being just brains at that moment. When Ruvik knocks Sebastian out I guess he hooked Sebastian to his brain again. At the end we see Leslie walking away more Ruvik like so Ruvik is most likely in Leslies head. Since Sebastian hears the high pitch noise again at the end and Leslie disappears I think that he is actually still linked to someones brain. Kidman saying "They are not going anywhere... No one can." sort of implies that they are still trapped but this is just my interpretation and the game doesn't answer to every mystery it gives.

Spoiler thread has some theories about the game so go check that out for more fleshed out thoughts.

Kuraudo

Banned
Finished it. 16 hours, 15 minutes with 78 deaths. Really good game, but the final third was a definite drop in quality. Only really enjoyed playing Chapter 14 out of the final five (although I loved the batshit crazy stuff in 15). Everything else just felt like it was plodding along to the conclusion.

I'm cautiously interested in the DLC, but I'll wait for some impressions first. If it manages to hit the heights of 3-10, then I'll be all over it.

Bebpo

Banned
I am loving this game but no kidding WOA Chapter 10 is insane. I mean, like two bosses?! A lot of variety in this chapter and the pace was intense it: took me two hours. I must have died ten times, if not a few more.

I'm 11 hours in and at the beginning of Ch 11... How much do I have left?

Please tell me the remaining chapters aren't like this one haha

Ch.10 is the peak of the difficulty. There's a couple of annoying spots in ch.11/13 and some people don't like ch.15 but nothing is as lengthy and death-filled as 10. You still probably have about 6 hours left.

John Harker

Ch.10 is the peak of the difficulty. There's a couple of annoying spots in ch.11/13 and some people don't like ch.15 but nothing is as lengthy and death-filled as 10. You still probably have about 6 hours left.

Okay, I suppose I can do that in 3-4 days. Sounds reasonable.
I'm enjoying it but my backlog is getting real so I was on the fence of starting something new and playing both games, or concentrating and finishing this. I'll stay in Hell then!

What do I do at Chapter 7 after I defeat lockerhead and gas fills the room? I assume I go turn the gas off but I can't. And there seems to be nothing in any of those rooms with smoke in them.

-MD-

What do I do at Chapter 7 after I defeat lockerhead and gas fills the room? I assume I go turn the gas off but I can't. And there seems to be nothing in any of those rooms with smoke in them.

After he
smashes the valve? There's another valve on a table somewhere around there, think it's got a purple aura around it so you can't miss it.

For some reason it wasn't highlighting purple or letting me pick it up. Though with my last play through it did. Talk about a weird glitch.

I'm up to chapter 9 right now.
I think the game is pretty damn tense and creepy. They really nailed it on the head in terms of atmosphere and intensity. I just have a one major issue with the game. I still have no idea what the hell is going on. I've been playing the game for 7-8 hours now and don't under what's going on. I feel like I haven't made any progress whatsoever, because I'm being tossed around. There is no context for anything. I'm sure without a doubt this will all be explained in the story at some point, but right now I feel fatigued. I'd much prefer a quicker plot so I feel invested in whatever is happening.

-MD-

I'm up to chapter 9 right now.
I think the game is pretty damn tense and creepy. They really nailed it on the head in terms of atmosphere and intensity. I just have a one major issue with the game. I still have no idea what the hell is going on. I've been playing the game for 7-8 hours now and don't under what's going on. I feel like I haven't made any progress whatsoever, because I'm being tossed around. There is no context for anything. I'm sure without a doubt this will all be explained in the story at some point, but right now I feel fatigued. I'd much prefer a quicker plot so I feel invested in whatever is happening.

Chapter 9 is when you start getting some story details.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
on ch.3 struggling with the camera and controls. The pacing of the game feels weird as well. To top it off I'm completely lost story wise too.
Hopefully it'll click soon.

stn

So, I need to beat the game three more times to get all the achievements. Once under 5 hours, once on a no-upgrade survival run since I played casual the first time, and once on akumu.

Think I'm going to shelf it for a longgggggg time, I'm burnt out from the game.

Lrrr

Greetings all, what's the verdict on this game? Is it fun? How's the story (no spoilers please), mechanics, framerate, etc.?

Finally ordered this sucker! I'll have it in my hands at long last on tuesday night. Can't wait!

Edit: So sad that when I'll finally be able to join in on the discourse of the game it's already in the community section :(

I just gave up on my nightmare run in chapter 4. Just too annoying. No idea how anyone has the patience for akumu. I loved the game but could feel myself slowly starting to get completely fucked off with it so thought I better leave it before I end up hating it. Played through survival, and survival NG+ tho and overall I think its my GOTY.

-MD-

I just gave up on my nightmare run in chapter 4. Just too annoying. No idea how anyone has the patience for akumu. I loved the game but could feel myself slowly starting to get completely fucked off with it so thought I better leave it before I end up hating it. Played through survival, and survival NG+ tho and overall I think its my GOTY.

What in chapter 4 made you give up on Nightmare? I didn't even notice the bump in difficulty until chapter 6 (
save for the clone in chapter 3
).

I've played through chapter 4 like 5 times and don't recall anything even particularly challenging there.

Greetings all, what's the verdict on this game? Is it fun? How's the story (no spoilers please), mechanics, framerate, etc.?

It's a love or hate it game, my personal GOTY.

Story isn't amazing or anything but it's not awful, frame rate depends on platform, I'd recommend PC if you have a nice computer and want the best experience.

Late Flag

Finally ordered this sucker! I'll have it in my hands at long last on tuesday night. Can't wait!

Edit: So sad that when I'll finally be able to join in on the discourse of the game it's already in the community section :(

Same here. I was running another errand at Wal-Mart and just happened to notice that this was on sale for $30, so I went ahead and picked it up rather than worry about whether I could somehow shave another $5 off on BF.

Two chapters in, and I'm happy so far.

Lrrr

Story isn't amazing or anything but it's not awful, frame rate depends on platform, I'd recommend PC if you have a nice computer and want the best experience.

Can you provide details as to why this is? Also, I'm on PS4.

-MD-

Can you provide details as to why this is? Also, I'm on PS4.

The PC version offers the most options, lets you disable the letterboxing and is capable of running at 30fps without dropping frames. PS4 version looked fine when I watched streams of it, runs about as well as most console games. If the game looks interesting to you I say go for it regardless of platform.

As far as the love/hate it thing goes there's just too much to explain there, mostly boils down to if you're capable of using common sense, taking your time and learning from your mistakes. I appreciated that the game didn't hold my hand and let me work through things on my own, others didn't.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
OOOOOOK, I'm at chapter 15, almost done here
I didn't like
the "bllod pool" part at all,
and it's not yet finished...on the other side I liked the
initial exploration part, even if it was completely empty.

What in chapter 4 made you give up on Nightmare? I didn't even notice the bump in difficulty until chapter 6 (
save for the clone in chapter 3
).

I've played through chapter 4 like 5 times and don't recall anything even particularly challenging there.

The first large fight in Ch4. After the initial village area. I was doing well in it but the final straw was after a few attempts i died unavoidably, as i left the face stabbing animation for knifing a blinded enemy, the fake ruvik sent his claw arm things for me so it was literally unavoidable. I just found it too annoying constantly dying>restarting>dying>restarting.
Still a fantastic game, but i just dont fancy having to suffer through some of the later chapters if its this hard on Ch4

As a fan of Resident Evil 4, I have two questions. First, should I get this game? I've heard it can be a polarizing experience but I just wanted some opinions from here.
Second, should I get it on the PS4 for $25, or wait for a sale on the PC version? Here are my specs:
Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz
Nvidia GTX 760 with 2GB VRAM (pretty sure it's 2GB, might be 3GB)
8GB RAM
I know this doesn't meet the requirements on the Steam page, but I think I heard that the minimum/required specs are a bit overblown. Is this true?

Saphirax

Kinda stuck in chapter 6(I believe). I don't have enough ammo to kill
The Sadist.

Getting up to that part was a pain as well, so am debating just turning the difficulty down. Already
opened the treasure room,
and disabled all traps.

I only have 7-8 handgun bullets, 2 harpoons, 2 shotgun shells and 1 barrel. Think I've also looted everything. Can stagger him 2 or 3 times, but what I have isn't enough to kill him.

Kinda stuck in chapter 6(I believe). I don't have enough ammo to kill
The Sadist.

Getting up to that part was a pain as well, so am debating just turning the difficulty down. Already
opened the treasure room,
and disabled all traps.

I only have 7-8 handgun bullets, 2 harpoons, 2 shotgun shells and 1 barrel. Think I've also looted everything. Can stagger him 2 or 3 times, but what I have isn't enough to kill him.

you don't have any leftover parts either? disable any leftover bombs? no offense, but you've been pretty wasteful with the ammo if that's all you have and you have no parts

Saphirax

you don't have any leftover parts either? disable any leftover bombs? no offense, but you've been pretty wasteful with the ammo if that's all you have and you have no parts

Unfortunately I have a very dreadful aim and a controller with a borked analog stick that keeps moving. I've two bombs left, which I disable and turn into harpoon bolts - but as I said, not nearly enough to kill the boss.

Unfortunately I have a very dreadful aim and a controller with a borked analog stick that keeps moving. I've two bombs left, which I disable and turn into harpoon bolts - but as I said, not nearly enough to kill the boss.

how much ammo did you waste on the previous sequence? you can run through that area and just take out the harpoon gunners without even bothering with the other guys

Saphirax

how much ammo did you waste on the previous sequence? you can run through that area and just take out the harpoon gunners without even bothering with the other guys

Wait, seriously? I just have to take them out? I was under the impression I had to kill everyone for the boss to trigger. Not sure how much ammo I spent, but most likely a lot. I'll give it a try with just shooting down the gunners, thanks :D.

-MD-

Wait, seriously? I just have to take them out? I was under the impression I had to kill everyone for the boss to trigger. Not sure how much ammo I spent, but most likely a lot. I'll give it a try with just shooting down the gunners, thanks :D.

Or just let Joseph do work when you first enter the area to save on ammo.

Also iirc there are 2 garage doors side by side with levers and the left one has a bunch of ammo inside, right one has enemies.

you can run through that area and just take out the harpoon gunners without even bothering with the other guys

Did not know this, always cleared the area completely.

Top Bottom