• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

E the Shaggy

Ugggg Chapter 11.

That Clone Ruvik fight where he's spawning the zombies and Laura is popping out of the ground is insane. It would have been a little cool if they had said you had to kill clone Ruvik as I thought you just had to avoid him and take out the zombies, which led to me dying A LOT.

Also, what the HELL was under the water?

There's certainly a lot of bullshit in Nightmare.

This is true to a point.

The above comment is about 悪夢 Akumu, but I kind of felt the same way after beating Nightmare, at least with some specific sections. On Survival, everything is relevant, every weapon, skill and ability has a place and works, the balance is tight and efficient, no matter how you play, and your rewards feel earned. On Nightmare, you have to play very specifically, and pay particular attention to how you develop your skills. It descends into an ordeal of memorisation and exploitation, and simply makes a lot of the game's design redundant. Some sections actually benefit from the challenge boost, but some simply test your willingness to die as quickly as possible and watch loading screens to progress. For this reason I'll always be playing Survival on repeat plays.

悪夢 Akumu is just straight up nonsense.

TEW is still easily my 2014 GOTY though and an undeniable classic.

There's a surprise one late in Nightmare

Couldn't agree more. Coincidentally, I was about to type up my thoughts on the higher difficulties, so here they are:

I think the Survival difficulty is one of the most fine-tuned difficulties I've played since Bayonetta 1 Normal mode. My main issues with this game lie in the Nightmare and Akumu difficulty modes. Unlike other survival action games, (e.g., RE4, TLoU, Dead Space), this game offers few reliable strategies for enemy encounters.

Resident Evil 4 had the "guntaka" combat of setting up melee prompts, knocking enemies down, and knifing then as they get back up. In The Last of Us, you could reliably set up stealth kills by throwing bottles to distract enemies. Dead Space had a clear emphasis on removing the enemies' limbs while offering the player the tools to do so (e.g., Stasis).

Those games and their respective highest difficulty settings were brutal, but mostly fair. So, although you take more damage, the core gameplay stays the same.

The one reliable method of shooting enemies in the legs, knocking them down, and burning them gets severely neutered in both Nightmare and Akumu mode. I like being able to rely on the weapon that uses the ammo with the highest drop rate (pistol and TMP in RE4, plasma cutter in Dead Space). Unfortunately for me, I find myself relying mostly in the shotgun for the knockdown/burn method. I welcome the enemies' faster movement speed and more aggressive AI, but I dislike the fact that normal enemies have super armor and, thus it takes two to three pistol shots to interrupt an enemy's current animation.

Side note: The "Quick Shot" aiming (tapping the shoot button once to aim, tapping again to shoot) is underrated and is more accurate than you'd think. This aiming option addresses my problem with enemies ALWAYS dashing toward the lower left corner of my screen. >;[ I find myself popping heads more often with the pistol now.

Fry

jesus fucking christ this game

is so difficult. I can't get past the chainsaw dude on chapter 3.

I think I spent 2 hours and nothing.

O.DOGG

Just shoot him two or three times with explosive bolts and finish him with the shotgun/revolver. Alternatively, you can just use a flash bolt when he's weakened and stab him to get the achievement for killing him with a knife. He's not that difficult, just don't panic when facing him. Keep in mind that he is fast when chasing after you but he turns rather slowly. Good luck!

myco666

Just shoot him two or three times with explosive bolts and finish him with the shotgun/revolver. Alternatively, you can just use a flash bolt when he's weakened and stab him to get the achievement for killing him with a knife. He's not that difficult, just don't panic when facing him. Keep in mind that he is fast when chasing after you but he turns rather slowly. Good luck!

Also you could use those harpoon traps to save resources. Timing on those can be little tricky but they deal tons of damage.

E the Shaggy

You can also light up the hay bails and kick them at him to set him on fire on the upper level of the barn. There's a lot of ways to off this guy, even if you're low on ammo.

Astral

I just now realized that those little idol statues hold keys in them. Fucking hell that means I've missed at least two of them.

-MD-

That's disappointing to hear :( I was really looking forward to remixed enemy encounters and some added challenge for a replay.

That being said, survival difficulty is already plenty challenging for me. It's certainly substantially harder than RE4.

The only bullshit in nightmare is the final boss cause you get no time to react, I had to reload my autosave 10 times to let the credits roll, luckily the autosave only set you back like 10 seconds. The rest of Nightmare was glorious though, I loved the changes they did to areas to switch it up.

Doin a 5 hour run right now, think I'm around 2 hours in on chapter 11 so should clear it pretty easily. I've finished the game like 4 times by now.

Elzmbp9.png

Need dat dlc.

For whatever reason here's another video of my time with The Evil Within: http://youtu.be/MyBFm2aXSt4 I know MD watches these.

I actually did watch the other ones lol, It's weird watching you play cause you seem like you enjoy the game but then if you read your posts on here you're sayin it's worse than cancer.

Edit: lol wtf that intro?

I know there's a certain someone from a certain somewhere that really enjoys these videos, so much so they rate them.

I don't get it.

The only bullshit in nightmare is the final boss cause you get no time to react, I had to reload my autosave 10 times to let the credits roll, luckily the autosave only set you back like 10 seconds. The rest of Nightmare was glorious though, I loved the changes they did to areas to switch it up.

Well it will be a while before I can find out for myself unfortunately..a little over two weeks until I can resume my struggle against the chapter 10 boss.

I'm really curious to see the last third of the game as that seems to be the most polarizing part of the game. But I loved a lot of the other chapters people seem to hate like 6,9, and 10 so we'll see.

KingKong

The chapter 10
Laura fight
was the worst, thank God that's over. I think that's one of the most unintuitive and frustrating boss fights I've ever played

The chapter 10
Laura fight
was the worst, thank God that's over. I think that's one of the most unintuitive and frustrating boss fights I've ever played

I thought it was one of the most fun and intense parts of the game :/

It was pretty intuitive too, the game teaches you how to use both the
fire gates, and the fire drops you have to shoot
before the sequence where no enemies are around. Then in each room you progress through the placements of them get progressively more complex/hazardous.

The only potentially frustrating bit is that
you can't see both Laura and the fire drops valves at the same time due to the letter boxing and FOV
, but I thought it wasnt too hard to time it and it made it more tense.

I died a bunch during the sequence but I was never frustrated.

O.DOGG

Phew, finally beat it! This game is certainly something else. I can't honestly say that I truly enjoyed it. It was painfully frustrating at times and I just can't see the point of some of the design decisions but I'm glad I got to experience it. Also, it's one of the best-looking games I've ever seen.

Now I need to make up my mind whether to play it again in NG+... I certainly wish there was more ammo available for the second run at least.

Phew, finally beat it! This game is certainly something else. I can't honestly say that I truly enjoyed it. It was painfully frustrating at times and I just can't see the point of some of the design decisions but I'm glad I got to experience it. Also, it's one of the best-looking games I've ever seen.

Now I need to make up my mind whether to play it again in NG+... I certainly wish there was more ammo available for the second run at least.

The game is super fun in New Game+, IMO. You'll be wrecking the regular haunted and you'll have the option of using the
rocket launcher on Laura
. :)

-MD-

You carry over all your upgrades which makes enemies go down easier so ammo management is less important.

Noticed a pretty big (1GB) patch for this game on PS4. What does it fix? Since it's Bethesda, I'm afraid that this just adds a language or something.

-MD-

Noticed a pretty big (1GB) patch for this game on PS4. What does it fix? Since it's Bethesda, I'm afraid that this just adds a language or something.

If you boot up The Evil Within tonight on your PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, you’ll notice that a new title update for the game has been released. The 1 GB update covers minor bug fixes and optimizations.

A new PC update is also in the works and is expected to release soon.

Beth Blog

-MD-

Really interested to see if the patch fixes any of gameplay inconsistencies. Stuff like matches sometimes not working, prompts not appearing, etc

The matches thing seems to only occur if the match doesn't physically hit the enemy, like if you're facing away from the enemy as you toss it or if there's an enemy hanging above you and you toss a match but Seb throws it on the ground and completely misses.

It'd be interesting if it had better hit detection in that case, it's really tough to light a hanging enemy on fire without alerting it.

A new PC patch is also in the works according to that blog, can't wait.

Yeah I quoted the blog a couple posts up, any fixes before the DLC drops is good news.

The matches thing seems to only occur if the match doesn't physically hit the enemy, like if you're facing away from the enemy as you toss it or if there's an enemy hanging above you and you toss a match but Seb throws it on the ground and completely misses.

It'd be interesting if it had better hit detection in that case, it's really tough to light a hanging enemy on fire without alerting it.

I'd say they put too much thought into it. If I receive the prompt and initiate it successfully, the match should hit the enemy regardless of positioning or anything else.

-MD-

I'd say they put too much thought into it. If I receive the prompt and initiate it successfully, the match should hit the enemy regardless of positioning or anything else.

I agree, it seems something like that wouldn't be too tough to implement, the game understands that there is an enemy nearby and it's allowing you to toss a match so it should just light it on fire automatically.

I'm sure it'd make Akumu a bit more tolerable.

should be notes on the ps4 when looking at updates. I lent my copy to my brother otherwise I'd check

Well if that's the case then hopefully someone here with a console copy will post what it says.

The PS4 patch notes are what the Bethesda guy said. Game optimizations/bug fixes. Nothing specific.

Bummer.

-MD-

I still need to go back and knock out the speedrun, no upgrade run, and chapter specific stuff. Though brass knuckles should make it easier ;)

I unlocked the knuckles the other day but it never actually gave me them, unless they're specifically tied to my Nightmare playthrough but I figured they'd carry over into my older NG+ as well.

Gonna finish up my speed run tonight, I'm at 3:03 on chap 14, I was bookin it through most of the game lol.

I unlocked the knuckles the other day but it never actually gave me them, unless they're specifically tied to my Nightmare playthrough but I figured they'd carry over into my older NG+ as well.

Gonna finish up my speed run tonight, I'm at 3:03 on chap 14, I was bookin it through most of the game lol.

I think you just need to start NG+ from your completed Nightmare save file.

The best way to test the patch would be to load up chapter 7 and see if you can light the hanging AlterEgo on fire lol. First attempt always misses for me.

Neiteio

Just got this game yesterday alongside my PS4. :-D

Might start it tonight. Or I might continue playing TLoUR. Or I might start GTAV.

Or I might go back to SSB WiiU.

Too many games. :-D

Just got this game yesterday alongside my PS4. :-D

Might start it tonight. Or I might continue playing TLoUR. Or I might start GTAV.

Or I might go back to SSB WiiU.

Too many games. :-D

Black Friday fucked me over too. I'm sitting on Metro Redux, Mordor, much more Smash to play, Captain Toad this Friday (which is unfortunate since the Game Awards are that night, and I'm going to PSX Sat/Sun), not to mention I only played GTAV on PS4 for about four hours.

I'd suggest finishing TLOU, then moving onto TEW. GTAV is too much of a time sink, so save it for last.

Neff

They fixed hair foil guy.

w6IqQu.jpg

Didn't notice any other improvements, although I always thought the game ran fine with the original patch. Although I did notice the signs above the doors glitching at the beginning of chapter 15 now, which I don't remember happening before.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hate to keep asking the same question, but it's been a few weeks so I figured I'd check in.

Is there currently a way to adjust the FOV on PC? That first patch they put out to officially support 60fps and removal of the letterboxes broke flawless widescreen and all of the other methods that allowed for adjusting the FOV.

Top Bottom