• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Wait, seriously? I just have to take them out? I was under the impression I had to kill everyone for the boss to trigger. Not sure how much ammo I spent, but most likely a lot. I'll give it a try with just shooting down the gunners, thanks :D.

yeup! give that a shot and that'll definitely save you ammo

Saphirax

Or just let Joseph do work when you first enter the area to save on ammo.

Also iirc there are 2 garage doors side by side with levers and the left one has a bunch of ammo inside, right one has enemies.

Did not know this, always cleared the area completely.

Yep, opened the left door. Gonna run through the area and see how it goes. Should save me a lot of ammo.

I want to get this game on the X1, but I heard there is some kind of stuttering issue unrelated to the frame rate? Couldn't tell from the videos I've seen, so I'd like to know if any of you guys have played the X1 version and how it performed.

Jingo

I am trying to kill the two locker heads at Chapter 15, but I run out of ammo. Is there something I am missing here?
Aim , eheh

Seriously, there is a pathway that conects the two room, you ll find ammo there, if not, just disable the mines they keep lefting and do some explosive arrows , it isnt easy, but its not impossible.

Aim , eheh

Seriously, there is a pathway that conects the two room, you ll find ammo there, if not, just disable the mines they keep lefting and do some explosive arrows , it isnt easy, but its not impossible.

How will disabling their wire bear traps help me kill them?

Just beat it at 14:48.

I don't understand the complaints against this game. It was awesome. Sure it could have used more polish, the premise could have been more obvious, and it could have been more survival horror than action based. That said, the game was very well made with excellent pacing and difficulty. And the graphics looked phenomenal on my GTX 970, pretty much ushered in the next (current?) generation for me.

I really enjoyed how the game took gameplay back to the old days where they'd throw you in with a limited number of items and health and have you figure out the best way to beat the enemies. This was particularly refreshing with the bosses

Though I have a few complaints. The game should have been a bit more survival horror (think more like Chapters 2,3, and 7, and less like Chapters 7 and 10.) The premise, while interesting, wasn't really as self-explanatory as it should have been. It took 2/3rds way through the game before I started connecting the dots.I felt a bit sad reading through the character profiles at model viewer seeing how much more interesting some of these enemies could have been presented. Finally the game could have used a bit more polished. It needed more time in the oven before I could list it as a GOTY.

Overall though the game was fantastic. Don't understand the complaints.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Just finished!

17:03 on the clock, 47 deaths. Not bad!

The game wins the award for most insanity lass boss encounter ever that's for sure.

Great game, loved it one of the best this year.
Needs a lot filled in tho...

Finally got and played it! Played for a little over an hour and just played a tiny bit of chapter 3.

Impressions:
-The game looks great overall. Yeah some textures are shitty, and the framerate has been unfortunate so far, but it is all worth it for the amazing atmosphere this game has. It's like REmake on a larger scale. I love the depth of field, film grain, and camera bob too. The black bars really don't bother me at all in terms of the amount of TV space they take up, but when combined with the FOV I agree it makes the game feel super claustrophobic which I think was the intent. Also the camera zoom for aiming freaked me out the first time because it makes enemies seem really close.

-The door kick animation is fucking awesome.

-First 2 chapters were mostly atmosphere though. They weren't awful, but they really weren't that engaging either. They also highlighted some jankiness that I'm pretty sure won't be too much of an issue when the game becomes more combat oriented. I chucked a bottle and instead of running towards it, the enemy charged me, which was pretty dumb. Atmosphere-wise though, the first two chapters were beautiful, so I'm okay with them for the most part.

-Story is shite so far, but unlike a lot of people I think it does seem to fall in the so bad it's funny category. The diary entry solely dedicated to Sebastian talking about
checking out his partner's ass
made me lol. But yeah, it's definitely not as engaging, goofy, charming, or spooky as RE4's story thus far.

-Even though I only played like 5 minutes of it so far, HOLY FUCK chapter 3 is good. The setting is one of the coolest I've ever seen, and I've already been mauled by traps and hoards of enemies. It's fucking intense and awesome, and if the rest of the game is similar to this I will be VERY happy.

-Also, either this game is really hard, or I just suck at it so far because I've already died like 5 times. Either way, I'm very pleased as I was worried the default difficulty would be too easy for me.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

-MD-

-Also, either this game is really hard, or I just suck at it so far because I've already died like 5 times. Either way, I'm very pleased as I was worried the default difficulty would be too easy for me.

Can't wait to play more tomorrow!

Glad you're enjoying it so far, it might just take you awhile to really get the flow of things, The game has a nice default difficulty but I didn't experience my first death until chapter 5 on the first playthrough (nightmare is a lot of fun). There are a couple chapters that have elements of chapter 3 but that's one of if not the best chapters in the game.

My favorites were 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10.

I chucked a bottle and instead of running towards it, the enemy charged me, which was pretty dumb.

Not sure if I understand this part, mind explaining?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Just beat it with 60 deaths in 15hrs. (ps4)
I don't see how it's possible to beat the game in under 5 though.

This the Resident Evil 4 sequel that everyone wanted but it came out like 9 years later.
damn, I'm getting old.

While the visuals and some aspects gameplay needed more polish I can honestly say that after beating the game I got my moneys worth.

The game took awhile to click and had some pacing issues but was over all a fun little jaunt.

Story was weak and upon completion you can tell they set it up for a sequel.
I thought enemy design especially the bosses were uninspired as well.

Cant wait to try a few more play threws.

Complaints aside if RE4 is one of your favorite games and you can get it while it's on sale then the Playing TEW should be a no brainier (pun intended).
4/5

Glad you're enjoying it so far, it might just take you awhile to really get the flow of things, The game has a nice default difficulty but I didn't experience my first death until chapter 5 on the first playthrough (nightmare is a lot of fun). There are a couple chapters that have elements of chapter 3 but that's one of if not the best chapters in the game.

My favorites were 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10.

Not sure if I understand this part, mind explaining?

Yeah I remember you sayin you didn't die to regular enemies that much, but I think you're just better at it than me :p the enemies are fast too! Was not expecting them to be so spry haha.

With the bottle, early in chapter two and an enemies back was to me and I wa hidden behind a hay barrel and chucked a bottle to get the enemy to get out of the way of where I needed to go, but instead of heading towards where my bottle landed it turned around and charged me.

Just beat it with 60 deaths in 15hrs. (ps4)
I don't see how it's possible to beat the game in under 5 though.

This the Resident Evil 4 sequel that everyone wanted but it came out like 9 years later.
damn, I'm getting old.

While the visuals and some aspects gameplay needed more polish I can honestly say that after beating the game I got my moneys worth.

The game took awhile to click and had some pacing issues but was over all a fun little jaunt.

Story was weak and upon completion you can tell they set it up for a sequel.
I thought enemy design especially the bosses were uninspired as well.

Cant wait to try a few more play threws.

Complaints aside if RE4 is one of your favorite games and you can get it while it's on sale then the Playing TEW should be a no brainier (pun intended).
4/5
It's easily doable in under five hours, especially on NG+. Remember that you can avoid many encounters and don't have to kill all the enemies the game keeps throwing at you.
Oh and manually reloading the previous checkpoint after dying also helps.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
So just beat this game...and while it has some problems, it's pretty solid. The story is just like what the fuck is going on? The melee is absolutely terrible even at full strength, this is especially bad considering the low ammo amount. The game is annoyingly frustrating even on casual. I give it a 3/5.

+Great Atmosphere/Creepiness
+Music/Sound is Decent
+Gameplay is fun

-Story is confusing, even at the end it's not clear what happened
-Is Frustrating/Low Ammo

Time: 16:17:24
158 deaths

anyone else playing on anything similar to a GTX 670 2GB (evga FTW edition) and a i7 2700k?

Will it be better than the PS4 version is all I care about.

Up to chapter 6 now. Holy fuck this game is intense. The end of chapter 3 and 5 in particular were very nerve wracking.
Shinji finally made chainsaw's scary again with this game. The sadist is fast as fuck and the fact he can follow you anywhere in the map was really cool. I'm surprised I killed him on my first try considering there were multiple points I ran out of sprint and couldn't move, hearing the chainsaw get closer and closer (I actually love the sprint mechanic).
. This game is definitely at its best in the intense combat encounters. I love all the weapons and animations, they're so satisfying.

I also really dig the mirror/hospital haven, too. So many things to unlock!

While the game definitely has flaws (some janky animation transitions, the controls could be smoother, some graphical stuff and framerate, and the story is just....yeah), it's a fucking blast so far. I don't know if it will best Wolfenstein for me at the end of the game, but if it keeps up it will certainly give it a run for its money.

Here are my chapter preferences thus far:
3>5>4>2>1.

3 and 5 in particular were top notch stuff. I have to say though, I greatly prefer the outdoor environments to the claustrophobic and super dark hospital hallways. Chapter 6 seems like its gonna be great so far as I only played a little and its already really intense, and the location is simply stunning.

Also, while this game isn't really 'scary' it is really, really intense. My palms get so fucking sweaty, because each encounter I feel like I'm gonna get wrecked (and, while I've gotten a lot better, I still die a fair amount--although not to excess). And as a huge horror film aficionado I love the atmosphere and grisly,macabre vibe; not every horror need needs to be restrained and psychological. Over the top can be good, as this game shows.

KingV

I picked this back up again, and am kind of surprised how you can skip sections of the game. I was exploring in chapter 4, and ended up beating the level without ever actually going inside of the big house.

Also, how do you disarm the chests with bombs. I've tried to lift it up a bit and drop it, but I never get a prompt to disarm them. Its pretty frustrating.

Holy fuck chapter 6 was the best thing ever. Absolutely relentless and varied. More of this please!

I picked this back up again, and am kind of surprised how you can skip sections of the game. I was exploring in chapter 4, and ended up beating the level without ever actually going inside of the big house.

Also, how do you disarm the chests with bombs. I've tried to lift it up a bit and drop it, but I never get a prompt to disarm them. Its pretty frustrating.

Just keep lifting it up a bit and setting it down, you have to lift it like halfway up. I think it beeps but I'm not positive.

Played for about four hours last night on X1 and while I'm thoroughly enjoying it, the bars are really annoying.

I thought I'd get used to them, but with how close the camera is at times, they just feel like they are making it harder to fully see the environment without having to fiddle with the RS.

Still, gameplay is fantastic and pretty much what I'd expect from Mikami. Love the gunplay and how you truly feel like every bullet is a rare resource that should only be used as an absolute last resort.

Up to chapter 10 now. I like the game more and more as I play it! I'm also not sure where the hate for chapter 8 comes from. Yeah, it's too short but I really liked the environment, it had a cool puzzle, and is a nice breather after the brutally intense finale of chapter 7. Those
little leaping enemies you can squish
were gross and creepy as fuck, too.

Aaaaand I don't get the hate for 9 either.
Ruvik is really easy to run away from since he's super slow, and he doesn't chase you very long.
I didn't get hit by him once. I did die a couple times in the awesome
burning barn fight
, though.

Current chapter rankings:

6>7>9>3>5>4>8>2>1

Chapter 8 is just hilariously short. Chapter 9...is one of the best chapters in the game. Surprised to see that there is hate towards it.

Yeah it should have been part of chapter 7. I think people were having a hard time with
Ruvik spawns
in chapter 9. But like I said, I thought it was really easy to get away from him.

Chapter 10 is intense and hard as balls. Currently stuck on the
giant monster in the parking garage.
I know how to beat him, but fuck he's hard. The part right before with
Laura
was a real doozy as well. This chapter is probably the hardest, and most intense in the game so far. I love it.

Really unsure what people have found to be 'trial and error' or unfair in the game so far. Most things are pretty intuitively shown throughout the environment.

Yeah it should have been part of chapter 7. I think people were having a hard time with
Ruvik spawns
in chapter 9. But like I said, I thought it was really easy to get away from him.

Chapter 10 is intense and hard as balls. Currently stuck on the
giant monster in the parking garage.
I know how to beat him, but fuck he's hard. The part right before with
Laura
was a real doozy as well. This chapter is probably the hardest, and most intense in the game so far. I love it..

Chapter 10 is by far the hardest chapter in the game.

Really unsure what people have found to be 'trial and error' or unfair in the game so far. Most things are pretty intuitively shown throughout the environment.

People like games that play themselves now a days.

SRTtoZ

So this game is 30 bucks and the trade in value at Gamestop is 30 bucks, so I can play it, beat it, and get my money back. Worth it?

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
People like games that play themselves now a days.

So not going to lie, didn't like this game starting out, it was frustrating with the difficulty and lack of ammo.

However, I decided to play again and beat again and it was a much better experince.

Second time playing:

8:46:29
27 deaths

mhs004

Bought this game on BF and just finished chapter 4.

My first survival horror game and I'm loving it! I suck though but I guess I'll get better as I get used to the game. I'm very tempted to look up what
Ruvik
is but I'll resist the temptation to the best of my ability.

cj_iwakura

Honestly not that impressed so far. Too much AAA influence. The regen health, checkpoints, etc. Not bad for what it is, but I expected far better.

Honestly not that impressed so far. Too much AAA influence. The regen health, checkpoints, etc. Not bad for what it is, but I expected far better.

I think this game would be insanely frustrating without the checkpoint system. I found the checkpoints to be fairly sparse compared to similar games, too, like The Last of Us (it's more akin to the checkpoints on grounded mode).

And the regen health is countered by not allowing you to sprint until it gets to a certain point (and you cant regen while moving, and doesnt regen to a whole lot of health).

benzy

I had a hard ass time trying to get passed the beginning limping everywhere with that chainsaw guy looking for me. I'd be annoyed and incredibly frustrated if there wasn't a checkpoint and they made me do all of those mundane grabbing the keys/slowly creeping to the door thing over and over again.

I had a hard ass time trying to get passed the beginning limping everywhere with that chainsaw guy looking for me. I'd be annoyed and incredibly frustrated if there wasn't a checkpoint and they made me do all of those mundane grabbing the keys/slowly creeping to the door thing over and over again.

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

I was almost tempted to drop the difficulty down to casual because of this section. Spent close 20 mins on that last section before the elevator until I realised the game wanted me to go in the other direction where there bottles were.

myco666

Only thing that I found to be kind of trial and error was the part in chapter 7 where
you had to run towards camera and if you stepped on a trap you died.
Granted that was more of my own fault than the games fault but the camera angle certainly didn't help.

Chapter 8 is just hilariously short. Chapter 9...is one of the best chapters in the game. Surprised to see that there is hate towards it.

Well it is easy to see why since
Ruvik kills in one hit. I got kinda frustrated when I ran away from him and he teleported right in front of me couple of times and killed me the instant I saw him.
Now though I think the chapter is fantastic since I know how to deal with the encounter easily.

Nemmy

Only thing that I found to be kind of trial and error was the part in chapter 7 where
you had to run towards camera and if you stepped on a trap you died.
Granted that was more of my own fault than the games fault but the camera angle certainly didn't help.

I found this part madly frustrating on a M+KB setup. There's something about the WASD controls that feels really off in there, I died several times before I got a hang of it.
It wasn't really trial and error, but it felt clunky for sure.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, definitely agree with this.

I was almost tempted to drop the difficulty down to casual because of this section. Spent close 20 mins on that last section before the elevator until I realised the game wanted me to go in the other direction where there bottles were.

That part was a pain, but I mean more in general. I like having checkpoints, but part of me knows the game'd be way more tense if there weren't.

Astral

I'm only past chapter 3, but I'm trying to figure out why this game isn't scary. I played at midnight last night, all the lights off, the volume up, trying to immerse myself. The art direction and the setting is amazing. You would think it'd be scary but for some reason it's not, and I can't pinpoint why.

Thrakier

I love that game (in chapter 9 now). It's the perfect mix of RE4, Silent Hill and TLOU. Graphics are amazing.

BUT OH GOD WHY TANGO DID YOU HAVE TO FUCK THAT FRAMERATE THAT MUCH? It makes the gameplay so less enjoyable. I love the moments when it's 60FPS, but when it drops into the 50s and everything starts to stutter, it's not nice at all.

Anyway, any chance that Tango fixes the framerate and gives us DLC?

Late Flag

I love that game (in chapter 9 now).

I'm in the same spot and I'm extremely confident that this is my GOTY unless it just completely falls apart. In terms of design and gameplay, it's almost Resident Evil 4.5, which is awesome. Some of the areas really do feel like they could have appeared in RE4 seamlessly, which gives this game a great throwback vibe. The "burning bodies" mechanic is clever even if it could have used a little refinement. I also like the addition of hunting for keys to get supplies.

I also agree that it's kind of a shame this game didn't release a little later to give it more polish. The black bars are okay, but the framerate is atrocious and there are way too many small imperfections, like the wonkiness of shooting and how burning bodies sometimes sets other enemies on fire and sometimes doesn't.

Still a fantastic game that remind me a lot of Dead Space and Batman, two other pleasant surprises.

I'm only past chapter 3, but I'm trying to figure out why this game isn't scary. I played at midnight last night, all the lights off, the volume up, trying to immerse myself. The art direction and the setting is amazing. You would think it'd be scary but for some reason it's not, and I can't pinpoint why.

It's atmospheric, not "scary." RE4 was the exact same way. I do find that TEW does a great job of maintaining a sense of tension, which is a little unexpected given the generous checkpointing and easy access to the save room in many areas.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm at chapter 6, the game feels like a Resident Evil 4 with stealth added and some mediocre attempts at being Silent Hill. The open, bright spaces are the most fun parts of the game so far. The story is kind of messy up to this point, but still interesting enough to make me want to know more, and better than most RE games at least.

The game seems to have a good amount of one hit kills too, some more unexpected than others (basically coming down to trial and error in some cases). Another annoyance is the
invisible enemies
that appear around chapter 4 or so.
Really hope there's a way to make them more visible later on, other than desperately searching for puddles and/or movable objects.

I'm at chapter 6, the game feels like a Resident Evil 4 with stealth added and some mediocre attempts at being Silent Hill. The open, bright spaces are the most fun parts of the game so far. The story is kind of messy up to this point, but still interesting enough to make me want to know more, and better than most RE games at least.

The game seems to have a good amount of one hit kills too, some more unexpected than others (basically coming down to trial and error in some cases). Another annoyance is the
invisible enemies
that appear around chapter 4 or so.
Really hope there's a way to make them more visible later on, other than desperately searching for puddles and/or movable objects.

Flash bolts will reveal them. Also, although I'm only at chapter 10, they haven't been in the game besides one other chapter.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Flash bolts will reveal them. Also, although I'm only at chapter 10, they haven't been in the game besides one other chapter.

Thanks, makes me feel more inclined to continue.

And forgot to mention in my last post that I do enjoy the game quite a lot, really starting to grow on me.

And forgot to mention in my last post that I do enjoy the game quite a lot, really starting to grow on me.

Yeah it really started hitting me in chapter 5 and 6 just how good the game is. It might end up being my GOTY if I enjoy the last third of the game. There are lots of little things that lack polish, but the sheer scope and design of the game is pure Mikami goodness. I love how challenging it is, too.

Neff

I just gave up on my nightmare run in chapter 4. Just too annoying. No idea how anyone has the patience for akumu. I loved the game but could feel myself slowly starting to get completely fucked off with it so thought I better leave it before I end up hating it. Played through survival, and survival NG+ tho and overall I think its my GOTY.

There's certainly a lot of bullshit in Nightmare.

The wild imbalance and overall haphazardness isn't gone on lower difficulties, it's just hidden.

This is true to a point.

You have no idea. Hell the so called bragging rights this mode is supposed to give don't even feel earned. There was no skill attached to it. Just patience and a test for how much bullshit you can take.

The above comment is about 悪夢 Akumu, but I kind of felt the same way after beating Nightmare, at least with some specific sections. On Survival, everything is relevant, every weapon, skill and ability has a place and works, the balance is tight and efficient, no matter how you play, and your rewards feel earned. On Nightmare, you have to play very specifically, and pay particular attention to how you develop your skills. It descends into an ordeal of memorisation and exploitation, and simply makes a lot of the game's design redundant. Some sections actually benefit from the challenge boost, but some simply test your willingness to die as quickly as possible and watch loading screens to progress. For this reason I'll always be playing Survival on repeat plays.

悪夢 Akumu is just straight up nonsense.

TEW is still easily my 2014 GOTY though and an undeniable classic.

as far as those enemies go for the remainder of the game:

they don't appear at all again

There's a surprise one late in Nightmare

There's certainly a lot of bullshit in Nightmare.

That's disappointing to hear :( I was really looking forward to remixed enemy encounters and some added challenge for a replay.

That being said, survival difficulty is already plenty challenging for me. It's certainly substantially harder than RE4.

Neff

That's disappointing to hear :( I was really looking forward to remixed enemy encounters and some added challenge for a replay.

Well, you'll definitely get that and then some. But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself. You may prefer it as others do. It was just disappointing for me to see Mikami create an impeccable experience and then watch it come apart at the seams upon playing the rather slapdash hard modes.

Akumu was a fucking nightmare. No idea how I did it. The mechanics just aren't precise enough for such punishing encounters.

Loved the game on Survival, though. It's sitting pretty at number four on my list for the year.

Montresor

This game is friggin amazing.

I also find it strange how enjoyable this game is even in very small, bite-sized sessions.

I last played Ch.6 a couple of weeks ago. I was at the part where
there are four balconies, each with retractable metal covers, each with an enemy occasionally showering harpoons down at you
. I stopped playing only because I became distracted with a bunch of other games (Wolf Among Us, Never Alone, Limbo, Advanced Warfare). I came back to it today and played two 15-minute sessions and really enjoyed myself.

My favourite part of this game is I like how wildly the setting changes from chapter to chapter. Mikami is masterfully leveraging the
fantastical nature of the story (i.e. the way Sebastien seems to weave in and out of different memories)
and letting his imagination run wild with each scenario.

I'll have to finish this game (I'm still early), but so far, if I were to make a top 3 list of gamers for this year, I'd have:

1. Sunset Overdrive
2. D4
3. The Evil Within (used to be Titanfall, but every play session of Evil Within has me liking it more and more)

mattp

finally got back to playing evil within for the first time since october
holy FUCK chapter 9 was so so so good. and so god damn stressful
i need a beer after that

edit: and how could i forget
that mansion hall with the stairs and then a dining room to the left! god damn did that get a huge fucking grin out of me

Top Bottom