• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Started this up after the Black Friday discount sale and have only finished the first two chapters, but I really like what I have played so far. If these are considered the worst two chapters in the game, then I am in for a great ride.

Hate to keep asking the same question, but it's been a few weeks so I figured I'd check in.

Is there currently a way to adjust the FOV on PC? That first patch they put out to officially support 60fps and removal of the letterboxes broke flawless widescreen and all of the other methods that allowed for adjusting the FOV.

Check out this post:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139808341&postcount=1926

But yes, I think there is a way now.

KingV

the game can barely maintain 30fps as it is, dropping the black bars would require a lot more optimization

Agreed. With what's going on graphically, however, It doesn't seem like it should be impossible.

Hopefully they work with a different engine for the a sequel, that can give them the ability to at least go full screen :)

I'd even take some struggle 900P, horizontally stretched, or even 720P resolution to play without the black bars.

That said, the game is one of my favorite looking games so far this gen. The atmosphere is great.

They fixed hair foil guy.

w6IqQu.jpg

I was wondering what the hell was up with him

JoeFenix

The game definitely runs a bit better on PS4 after the latest update. I'd say around a 20% improvement in framerate across the board and texture streaming is a bit faster too.

Not sure about any other fixes but it's good to see paper hair man got a new haircut!

I actually did watch the other ones lol, It's weird watching you play cause you seem like you enjoy the game but then if you read your posts on here you're sayin it's worse than cancer.

Edit: lol wtf that intro?

Most of the footage has been from the opening chapters which were OK, but then the game just grinds me down the further through I played it. I'm sure that'll come over in the videos if I get around to editing them together.

Yeah, I've taken liberties of splicing things together..! In my mind there's a story that makes far greater sense than the one told.

Agreed. With what's going on graphically, however, It doesn't seem like it should be impossible.

Hopefully they work with a different engine for the a sequel, that can give them the ability to at least go full screen :)

I'd even take some struggle 900P, horizontally stretched, or even 720P resolution to play without the black bars.

That said, the game is one of my favorite looking games so far this gen. The atmosphere is great.

yeah, i don't mind the black bars i guess, but it should look wayyyyy better to warrant the change (like i expect with the order). it's a great looking game, but not so much so that you'd say "yeah, i can see where they needed to cut the screen to maintain this

KyleCross

So I finally got around to beating the game. Cleared out chapters 6 through 15 in two sittings (my second sitting was quite long, doing chapters 9+). Sucks that I decided to start playing and beating right before a patch came out, I wonder if it fixed the terrible texture loading? That was the only thing I noticed. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that the farmer still had screwed up hair after all this time when I got to him, but seems this brand new patch finally fixed that too?

As for the story
this game made no sense. It's like they left details out purposely so they could shoe-horn in DLC. Literally, every plot point lacks a conclusion. It's insane.

Just started this after getting it in the PS store sale. Up to chapter 3 now.

Definitely wasn't a good start. Don't know how many times I had to reload the section with the chainsaw dude after hiding in the locker.

It's already been said by many but the camera/fov is so bad. It's even worse when crouching. Crouch walking is so slow too.

Some of the gameplay mechanics seem really archaic. Ok you light enemies on fire to permakill them but why is this limited to matches/ enemies' fire torches. Surely I could just pick up a plank of wood and light it in the numerous bonfires.

So far I keep being taken out of the experience by thngs like that. At the end of the current chapter I had to sprint across a bridge with enemies chasing me. I just made it as the main character can't sprint for 5 seconds without getting winded. In the cutscene that played at the end if the bridge the main dude then is sprinting and jumping and shooting his revolver (despite me having no ammo). It just hurts any immersion you have.

Graphical glitches too so far unfortunately.

btw where did the bespectacled guy go in the prologue? He accompanies you into the hospital and helps you find the doc but then disappears. Not sure if I skipped a cutscene somewhere.

Definitely wasn't a good start. Don't know how many times I had to reload the section with the chainsaw dude after hiding in the locker.

It's already been said by many but the camera/fov is so bad. It's even worse when crouching. Crouch walking is so slow too.

Some of the gameplay mechanics seem really archaic. Ok you light enemies on fire to permakill them but why is this limited to matches/ enemies' fire torches. Surely I could just pick up a plank of wood and light it in the numerous bonfires.

So far I keep being taken out of the experience by thngs like that. At the end of the current chapter I had to sprint across a bridge with enemies chasing me. I just made it as the main character can't sprint for 5 seconds without getting winded. In the cutscene that played at the end if the bridge the main dude then is sprinting and jumping and shooting his revolver (despite me having no ammo). It just hurts any immersion you have.

btw where did the bespectacled guy go in the prologue? He accompanies you into the hospital and helps you find the doc but then disappears. Not sure if I skipped a cutscene somewhere.

keep playing, everything gets better (story, gameplay, etc)

Seanspeed

Banned

I'm not sure why these are bothering you so much when these types of survival horror games have been littered with 'unrealistic' mechanics since the beginning.

Not saying your complaints are invalid, as you obviously feel the way you feel, but there's obviously something that's making you more bothered by them here. Perhaps you're just going in with too high expectations of immersion and realism or something? Don't know.

Hope you continue on and find some good enjoyment out of it somehow, though! I'm quite liking it. I just finished Chapter 3, which took me about 2 hours cuz of how slowly and cautiously I play(along with some deaths, constant saving and a couple manual reloads cuz I was unhappy with how I handled something!). So far so good. I think the game is suitably tense, which is all that I ask for in a horror game. I feel the enemies pack enough punch that I treat them with respect. I feel the level of ammunition lying around is just right to where I'm never swimming in it but I also don't feel like I'm left too desperately short on it. And I like the atmosphere of the tone and setting and art style and whatnot. Its not the most graphically impressive game out there by any means, but its serviceable and has a decent DoF effect which is a saving grace.

Gotta say - playing at a fairly regular 50-60fps helps a lot, though. The FoV is quite zoomed in and the framerate benefits helps a lot here since the camera movement becomes more sensitive. Also have the black bars minimized, which makes it massively better to look at, too.

-MD-

So you're letting basic balance and cutscenes ruin your immersion?

Wonder how you'll like the crossbow.

KingKong

Ok ch11 and 12 sucked big time. I get what people were saying about how it feels like a different game (a shitty mid 2000s tps)

I played this up until about chapter 9 or 10 I think and then had to go out of town for a month or so between personal/work trips. I tried playing once and while they updated the game it broke the POV for me, as before I was using Flawless Widescreen to really back it up.

Was FS patched yet to address this or did they add a POV change to the game?

Late Flag

Finished the game today. The last couple chapters weren't as good as the rest of the game (much like RE4), but this is still my GOTY by a pretty wide margin Cant't wait to start NG+ tomorrow.

Shady859

LTTP
I am on chapter 3, just realized I forgot to redeem my fighting chance DLC pack.
Will I have to start the game over to get these items or will they magically pop into my current game?
Assuming restart... :/

Edit: decided to read the last couple pages and figured was worth starting over to get these items. Looks like as long as you are at the beginning of chapter 3 like I was you will received all the DLC. Glad I didn't sell the code, I usually just toss bonus items for real $. ;)

deeptech

Finally finished this , it was my most anticipated release of 2014.
What the hell was that hype all about? Worst story ever , retarded VA ,characters and AI.It's swarming with just terrible design choices.Puzzles that are insulting to even a 12yr old with a common sense.That scripted last boss was just ridiculous as well, every other boss fight i must say was fine although two of them repeated twice. I mean , the first 10 minutes i already knew it's gonna be terrible , and it didn't matter how hard i tried to connect with it and get on its good side , i couldn't do it. For every 'UP' moment , there are five 'DOWN' moments.
And of course the trend of sequel bait packed with plot holes continues, whether it's left for a real sequel or it forces you to buy a DLC season pass , it's disgusting without a doubt.It's like they intentionally left room for sequel so if game sells well , they go and make another one.
I don't remember when i was this much disappointed in a game. Waiting all this time just to be let down so hard , damn it , don't know what else to say. Shinji Mikami? Old school horror is back? LOL
/rant

Chapter 3 was great. Atmosphere was thick. The perfornance is very bad. It's such a shame. Thankfully I play quite slow and stealthy so it's not such a big deal. Feel the camera wasnt as much of a problem this time as before.

Headshots are so satisfying.

Anyone gimme some tips on what enemies to use matches on? Headshots and stealth kills are permadeath right?

also what does lighting hay on fire do? Create distractions or do some of them hold items?

myco666

Chapter 3 was great. Atmosphere was thick. The perfornance is very bad. It's such a shame. Thankfully I play quite slow and stealthy so it's not such a big deal. Feel the camera wasnt as much of a problem this time as before.

Headshots are so satisfying.

Anyone gimme some tips on what enemies to use matches on? Headshots and stealth kills are permadeath right?

also what does lighting hay on fire do? Create distractions or do some of them hold items?

You should only use matches on enemies you know aren't dead. Most of the bodies laying around are not gonna get up. You can use the bodies to burn alive enemies by dropping a match when enemies are near the bodies.

Headshots and stealthkills are permadeaths so don't burn those corpses. Also good indication you killed the enemy is that it drops ammo or green goo or they do not react to melee.

You can use haystacks to burn enemies that are close to them and when the haystacks are on fire you can kick them against enemies to burn them. I recall that there was two haystacks that had items in them.

myco666

Finally finished this , it was my most anticipated release of 2014.
What the hell was that hype all about? Worst story ever , retarded VA ,characters and AI.It's swarming with just terrible design choices.Puzzles that are insulting to even a 12yr old with a common sense.That scripted last boss was just ridiculous as well, every other boss fight i must say was fine although two of them repeated twice. I mean , the first 10 minutes i already knew it's gonna be terrible , and it didn't matter how hard i tried to connect with it and get on its good side , i couldn't do it. For every 'UP' moment , there are five 'DOWN' moments.
And of course the trend of sequel bait packed with plot holes continues, whether it's left for a real sequel or it forces you to buy a DLC season pass , it's disgusting without a doubt.It's like they intentionally left room for sequel so if game sells well , they go and make another one.
I don't remember when i was this much disappointed in a game. Waiting all this time just to be let down so hard , damn it , don't know what else to say. Shinji Mikami? Old school horror is back? LOL
/rant

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the game. IMO it is really great game and only thing that I find bad in it is the that Akumu mode is really unfair. I agree though that saying "old school horror is back" is not really true since this game is more RE4 than RE1-3 and SH style game.

Lucent

I resumed my Akumu run recently. Stopped at the first save point in chapter 10 before you see
Laura crawling around in that cage area
. I feel like if I can get through chapter 11 and 12 that the rest should be in the bag. Hopefully.

I've currently got enough green gel to max out the damage on the
magnum
when I pick it up, so I'll have my boss killer right there. It makes a huge difference not having to waste green gel on any of the health-related abilities. And melee was always useless. Maxed out my stock pretty early on and that helped a lot. I was going to max out the harpoon, but I don't think it'd be worth it seeing as how it's so much harder to get parts in Akumu. I can't always disable the bombs.

Would be nice to finish before the end of the year. lol

Just finished chapter 10.
That boss fight was pretty intense, he killed me with his 1 hit KO like 4 times.

I definitely have a feel for the game. It's...alright. The gunplay I feel is fantastic, I like sneaking around and killing things, I just don't know why I am. I just don't like that the story is so god damn confusing and nothing really makes sense. From reading some impressions I don't think I'm going to really know why by the end either.

It's funny. A lot of people say the story is nonsensical, but I feel like if you read all the documents. Newspapers etc, a lot of things come together nicely.

It's funny. A lot of people say the story is nonsensical, but I feel like if you read all the documents. Newspapers etc, a lot of things come together nicely.

yeah. it's not nonsensical, it actually just feels like they left out a few key pieces that could pull it all together. i wish there was a little more of what we saw in chapter 9 in terms of storytelling

E the Shaggy

Finally beat the game with 15 hours and change, and 60 deaths (though I thought I had died WAY more)

While I really dug the game, the monsters, the settings, I was not a fan of the story:

The story itself was pretty paper thin. The idea was sound but it seemed like they really should have delved into Sebastian more, as they kept saying all these things about him that didn't reflect the guy we were actually seeing on the screen. It was odd.

Ruvik in general bothered me, in so much as he could control everything that was happening. He was constantly teleporting characters all over the place, able to kill you with a touch, and could create anything he wanted...but Leslie kept escaping from him? Why would he need Leslie to turn into a giant monster? Why even do it at all when he was basically immortal as himself?

The Kidman twist was also odd. It just seemed like all the characters were so two dimensional that when this twist dropped, it was just worthy of a shrug.

Hopefully the DLC will delve way more into the story.

Shady859

This is one of those rare games that make me physically ill. Anyone else have this and found a way to fix the FOV On console or am I literally gonna have to stomach this one a lil at a time. I've tried the slider on both ends (starts in middle). Googled and got mad results for motion sickness with this game. No real fix I've found though. :(

Only games ever done this are DayZ and Wolfenstein PS4. I just gave up and sold the 2nd, DayZ became better with headbob and FOV adjustments.

-MD-

This is one of those rare games that make me physically ill. Anyone else have this and found a way to fix the FOV On console or am I literally gonna have to stomach this one a lil at a time. I've tried the slider on both ends (starts in middle). Googled and got mad results for motion sickness with this game. No real fix I've found though. :(

Only games ever done this are DayZ and Wolfenstein PS4. I just gave up and sold the 2nd, DayZ became better with headbob and FOV adjustments.

Could change it on PC but on console you're stuck with whatever ya got.

Cerity

Do any of the chapters match up to chapter 3? or how radically do the settings change? I'm up to chapter 6 and I'm already fairly tired of the whole mental hospital/basement setting.

-MD-

Do any of the chapters match up to chapter 3? or how radically do the settings change? I'm up to chapter 6 and I'm already fairly tired of the whole mental hospital/basement setting.

There are lots of different locations in the game, the chapter you're on is outside, 7-10 are dark, 11-12 are outside etc.

You'll see the hospital a few more times though.

Seanspeed

Banned
I played this up until about chapter 9 or 10 I think and then had to go out of town for a month or so between personal/work trips. I tried playing once and while they updated the game it broke the POV for me, as before I was using Flawless Widescreen to really back it up.

Was FS patched yet to address this or did they add a POV change to the game?
Yes, I think FWS was updated to address this(could be wrong?) from what I heard. Could be wrong, though. Haven't used it myself. Scared to after I had a massive headache with the game crashing after messing with the console settings. Now I'm just gonna leave things be! lol

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Some noob questions:
Am I suposed to mainly avoid enemies and pass by them or mainly kill all of 'em ?
What happens if I kill em but don't burn em ?

xezuru

Some noob questions:
Am I suposed to mainly avoid enemies and pass by them or mainly kill all of 'em ?
What happens if I kill em but don't burn em ?

In the earlier chapters, stealthing as avoidance is pretty valid. Though, I would suggest that this game is more towards stealth to kill everyone.

Without burning there's a chance you haven't truely killed an enemy. Stealth kill, fully exploded head, and burning guarantees death.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
In the earlier chapters, stealthing as avoidance is pretty valid. Though, I would suggest that this game is more towards stealth to kill everyone.

Without burning there's a chance you haven't truely killed an enemy. Stealth kill, fully exploded head, and burning guarantees death.

Thanks....I killed a couple of enemies using stealth and burned them. That's useless ?

E the Shaggy

yeah, don't burn already dead bodies. matches are only useful for killing enemies that you have knocked down, but haven't killed yet

To be fair, if you stumble across bodies on the floor that you yourself didn't kill, there's a good chance they'll pop up sometimes if you don't fire them up.

myco666

To be fair, if you stumble across bodies on the floor that you yourself didn't kill, there's a good chance they'll pop up sometimes if you don't fire them up.

If they get up just hit them before they get fully up and they should go down again so that you can burn them.

I was watching my brother in-law play and after He stealth killed an enemy and burned it, I informed him there was no need to if you get a stealth kill. The next enemy he stabbed in the head He also burned. Guess He didn't believe me.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was watching my brother in-law play and after He stealth killed an enemy and burned it, I informed him there was no need to if you get a stealth kill. The next enemy he stabbed in the head He also burned. Guess He didn't believe me.
The game does make it sound like you're supposed to do it, I guess. I can see why he'd be hesitant to believe you.

Anyways, what's the best way to deal with the [chapter 4+5 enemy spoilers]
invisible enemy guys
? I'm wasting way too much ammo on them.

-MD-

The game does make it sound like you're supposed to do it, I guess. I can see why he'd be hesitant to believe you.

invisible enemy guys

It's more fun before you learn how to cheese them but
flash bolts + crouch kill is how you take them out.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's more fun before you learn how to cheese them but
flash bolts + crouch kill is how you take them out.
Cheers. And nah, its not that much fun when you waste several clips on a single guy
cuz you cant freakin see em! You're supposed to be able to tell where they are from their footprints, but I've found its really hard to do

invisible enemy guys

I would concur if it wasn't his second time playing through the game. I should have mentioned that in my post.

Top Bottom