• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

E the Shaggy

I was watching my brother in-law play and after He stealth killed an enemy and burned it, I informed him there was no need to if you get a stealth kill. The next enemy he stabbed in the head He also burned. Guess He didn't believe me.

When I started playing it, I thought enemies would all spring up again ala Crimson Heads from Resident Evil if you didn't.

Gbraga

I started playing this day one, and still didn't beat it. I was adoring the game at first, played 6 hours the moment it came out, but upon reaching chapter 8 or 9, I guess, it's honestly trash.

I'm still on chapter 10 now and I'm seriously considering dropping this. I was having a lot of fun during early chapters, but this is terrible.

I started playing this day one, and still didn't beat it. I was adoring the game at first, played 6 hours the moment it came out, but upon reaching chapter 8 or 9, I guess, it's honestly trash.

I'm still on chapter 10 now and I'm seriously considering dropping this. I was having a lot of fun during early chapters, but this is terrible.
What was it that made you stop enjoying it?

mhs004

Hmm I've enjoyed all of it myself, at the last chapter. I would say keep going some of the future bosses you go against are fun to me and the level designs change up a bit. You eventually go to
the city again
so that's a nice change of pace that may help.

Cerity

I'm somewhere through chapter 11, hopefully I'll be able to finish the game by the end of the day.

So far, I've found chapter 3 the most enjoyable, I guess the more open design of the level (well the more important chunk of it) to be great and I'm finding it a shame that the following chapters are fairly linear. Another thing is that each location so far has given me vibes from other games or media, not necessarily a bad thing but a little disappointing. Some of them are done pretty damn well though, Chapter 10 would be something I'd love to see in the next saw film if they ever got around to it.

Cerity

aaand just finished, survival difficulty, 11:30 or so with 29 deaths, the large majority coming from chapter 15. I think the biggest disappointment is the enemy design, Laura could have been such a memorable enemy but her/it's design is just so forgettable. It had everything there for it to be a mascot as such but nope :/ Aside from that I'm dissapointed that the game ended with so many questions left unanswered, I guess that's for the DLC though, whenever that comes out.

Great game otherwise IMO.

aaand just finished, survival difficulty, 11:30 or so with 29 deaths, the large majority coming from chapter 15. I think the biggest disappointment is the enemy design, Laura could have been such a memorable enemy but her/it's design is just so forgettable. It had everything there for it to be a mascot as such but nope :/ Aside from that I'm dissapointed that the game ended with so many questions left unanswered, I guess that's for the DLC though, whenever that comes out.

Great game otherwise IMO.

You're crazy! The enemy design is super memorable. If you take just the silhouette of her, or the keeper, they are instantly recognizable--which is typically a hallmark of good monster design.

Neiteio

You're crazy! The enemy design is super memorable. If you take just the silhouette of her, or the keeper, they are instantly recognizable--which is typically a hallmark of good monster design.
Agreed, I haven't started my copy yet (working my way through TLoUR first), but all of the monsters I've seen in pre-release footage have strong silhouettes, which is basically the most important factor for a memorable monster.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Chapter 15 RAGE/ SPOILERS:

WHAT THE ABSOLUTE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING WITH THIS MASS GAUNTLET BULLSHIT ENDING IN A FIGHT WITH THE SADIST?

This is the SHITTEST part of the game by FAR.

mhs004

Just finished the game.

So like there are a fuck ton of questions they haven't answered. As like A LOT of them. I don't think dlc can even explain all of them.

We better get a fucking sequel.

RGVNOE

just started the game, and wow that framerate, and is most of the game like the beginning, just trying to hide and sneak around the enemies, because it's boring already, and I dont want to sit through a whole game like this

just started the game, and wow that framerate, and is most of the game like the beginning, just trying to hide and sneak around the enemies, because it's boring already, and I dont want to sit through a whole game like this

No. It gets much better and more action packed. Chapter 3 is where it starts hitting its stride.

-MD-

Chapter 1 is the only chapter in the game, after you're done hiding and sneaking the game ends.

Guess you should quit.

RGVNOE

Chapter 1 is the only chapter in the game, after you're done hiding and sneaking the game ends.

Guess you should quit.

I'm just wondering if there's more to this game than just sneaking around enemies, maybe more character interactions, collecting and exploration, I really don't feel like sitting playing something where you can't do anything other than sneak around and run away

Nemmy

I'm just wondering if there's more to this game than just sneaking around enemies, maybe more character interactions, collecting and exploration, I really don't feel like sitting playing something where you can't do anything other than sneak around and run away

Where are you, chapter 1? Do you know there are fifteen chapters total?

I don't know, maybe actually play the game for more than half an hour before complaining about it on forums?

(and yes, chapter 1 is crappy)

Don't worry, the game goes so far in the opposite direction by the end that you'll be wishing for a bit more quiet sneaking time.

RGVNOE

Where are you, chapter 1? Do you know there are fifteen chapters total?

I don't know, maybe actually play the game for more than half an hour before complaining about it on forums?

(and yes, chapter 1 is crappy)

I know there's more than 1 chapter, and I ask for the people that have played it to see if it's worth continuing, and not more of the same. And that's what forums are for, to ask questions to others, to you know see if it's worth playing for more than a half hour like you said.

Don't worry, the game goes so far in the opposite direction by the end that you'll be wishing for a bit more quiet sneaking time.

thanks man good to know there's more to the game

-MD-

I know there's more than 1 chapter, and I ask for the people that have played it to see if it's worth continuing, and not more of the same. And that's what forums are for, to ask questions to others, to you know see if it's worth playing for more than a half hour like you said.

Chapter 1 is the only chapter where you're forced to sneak around, it's 10 minutes of setting up the story and introducing the stealth mechanic.

thanks man good to know there's more to the game

I mean, should be kinda obvious the whole game isn't just limping and hiding.

Gbraga

Tell me about it.

I think the most fun I had with this game was
the fucking turret section.

I wish I had a machine gun with a ton of ammo, it would make the game more enjoyable to me.

As shitty as it is to admit it, I think I finally found my problem with the game: I wish it was more of an action game. The first few chapters + chapter 10 were great, very tense and interesting, but then it's more action oriented, but not good enough as an action game, not polished enough, I guess, so it's just boring.

I'm on chapter 13 now, I set the diffiulty to casual because I just wanted to finish it, but I didn't notice much of a difference, honestly.

RGVNOE

Chapter 1 is the only chapter where you're forced to sneak around, it's 10 minutes of setting up the story and introducing the stealth mechanic.

I mean, should be kinda obvious the whole game isn't just limping and hiding.

Obviously there would be more than that I'm just asking because the first chapter makes it seem as if the main objective of this game is to try to get around without being spotted as much as possible.

Gbraga

Should've just played Resident Evil 6 instead or something if that's the kinda game you were looking for.

It wasn't, but I do think Resident Evil 6 is a much better game.

At least it's an action game all the way through instead of pretending to be a survival horror game and then throwing fucking waves of machine gun zombies at you and having you fight them with the clunky survival horror controls.

Anyway, just finished chapter 13, just a little longer.

I was expecting to replay it many times, now I just want it to be over.

Cerity

Sure if you showed me a sillhouette I'd be able to pick her out, only because my memory is being jogged by it. The design itself is just... generic, long, black haired girls that crawl towards you is something that's been done to death.

The keeper's design is more interesting but your encounters with him are fairly underwhelming, the first time you see him is interesting but after that, he's treated as just another enemy.

Ruvik's the only one who's proper memorable IMO but that's mainly because the only thing you can really do when you see him in game is get the hell away, you have no agency during his encounters. His design by itself isn't that great.

You know what I really love. I love sitting down to play a game to find that there's a goddamn 7.5gb patch that needs downloading.

Do you know what I love even more than that? When the console tells me the game is ready to start, but it won't let me get beyond the title screen as to needs to install the content.

Sigh, my morning of enjoying TEW has been completely ruined. I had to make do playing Valiant Hearts, which is fantastic, but I was really in the mood for some horror based action.

E the Shaggy

What is the reasoning behind Bethesda standing behind the black bars when they are universally disliked? Near as I can tell, pretty much everyone wants them gone and it seems as if it would be a relatively easy fix to put in a patch to have the option of getting rid of them.

What is the reasoning behind Bethesda standing behind the black bars when they are universally disliked? Near as I can tell, pretty much everyone wants them gone and it seems as if it would be a relatively easy fix to put in a patch to have the option of getting rid of them.

it wouldn't be an easy fix at all, all those extra pixels have to be rendered. the framerate is spotty at-best as it is with the blackbars, it would presumably be even worse without them

E the Shaggy

it wouldn't be an easy fix at all, all those extra pixels have to be rendered. the framerate is spotty at-best as it is with the blackbars, it would presumably be even worse without them

Oh, I thought all the graphics were already rendered and the black bars were just sort of slapped on there, hence the PC's ability to remove them.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I was expecting to replay it many times, now I just want it to be over.

I've been going back and forth on this. I rarely replay games nowadays, but there are times in The Evil Within when I think "would be awesome to play through this again". Then I reach one of those instant death situations/locked in a small room/being chased by one hit kill monsters and I feel the complete opposite.
I wish most of the game was open areas with regular enemies, those are by far the most entertaining parts IMO.

Anyone else actually enjoy playing on akumu? When a strategy proved effective, man was it satisfying.

I quite enjoyed it as well. Every encounter felt like a puzzle. You had to find the most efficient routes, methods, and loadouts to get through each chapter. Was definitely frustrating at times, but also extremely satisfying when you get it right. Fun stuff.

myco666

Just finished.

Can someone explain what just happened to me?

Well remember the opening scene where they first go to the hospital? Well everyone was already plugged into STEM before that scene occurs. So the whole game is basically a dream.
That is the short version. The spoiler thread has better breakdown of the story and theories about why stuff happened.

SRTtoZ

I'm trying really hard to like this game, I really am but man are they making it hard for me. First off lets talk about the technical issues. On PS4 the game runs really bad, I'm talking about sub 20 at times, which is so fucking odd considering the game looks last gen. The atmospheric lighting is really cool but seriously, theres NO reason for this game to run this bad after 2 patches, especially considering the missing real estate with the black bars. Yep, the black bars suck! I'm constantly fighting to even see whats going on, whether its finding enemies or looking for items, I feel like I'm crippled before I even play the game. As for the gameplay, its pretty rough. A lot of the animations and just general polish is very last gen...no stealth animation for things like opening doors? Let me stand up quick open the door and have to press R1 again to go stealthy. The camera is horrible while trying to stealth and look around corners, its just not NEARLY as good as say TLOU, again I feel crippled playing the game. As far as combat goes, if an enemy is 5 feet away, I pull out my pistol and all of a sudden IM ZOOMED in within an inch of a zombies face and trying to aim, its so stupid! Fucking invisible enemies? Who thought this was fun? I shot one with 3 harpoon bolts to finally get it down before using a match. Oh and there are certain scenarios where you have no fucking clue what to do. Do I fight it? Do I run? Do I keep running? do I burn corpses to defeat it? Who knows, let me die 10 times and figure it out using trial and error, it takes me out of the game completely.

Ok so the game has positives too. The atmosphere it out of this world! I love it, its really the only thing that keeps me coming back. The combat, when it works, its pretty satisfying, like getting a badass headshot and then burning an enemy that ends up killing another one right next to him, thats cool.

All in all I gave up earlier because I got pissed that I wasted so much ammo killing invisible enemies that you cant fucking see, even if you stop and try to see footsteps or puddles, sometimes you just cant, but I will give it a go later to try and maybe force my way through it. I'm glad I only paid 30 bucks since thats about the trade in value I'll get after I finish and trade it, but seriously, this game just seems so unpolished, and the combat a poor mans TLOU. Maybe it gets way better after chapter 5? I'll rate later, still too early IMO.

DirtyLarry

Just read the latest comment before I posted, and what is funny is I specifically came to the thread to say how much better improved the performance of the game is on the PS4 thanks to all of the patches.
I owned it since Day 1 and played it for a good 2 weeks but then took some time off to play other releases.
I played it again tonight and instantly noticed how much better the performance is overall. Also while it is obviously not breaking any ground from a technical perspective, I fucking LOVE the art direction and atmosphere. And the lighting. Just so damn good from a style perspective.

Really is a great damn game. Even with it not being the best game technically, it is in my Top 5 for 2014.

Seanspeed

Banned
These chapters feel really long. Took me 2 hours to beat Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 *each*. Granted, I die a few times and I move painfully slowly at times out of fear, but still, I'm really surprised by how lengthy things seem to be.

And its not tiresome or repetitive or anything yet. Really liking it still.

-MD-

These chapters feel really long. Took me 2 hours to beat Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 *each*. Granted, I die a few times and I move painfully slowly at times out of fear, but still, I'm really surprised by how lengthy things seem to be.

And its not tiresome or repetitive or anything yet. Really liking it still.

Typical playthrough will clock in around 15 hours, it's a lengthy game for a fairly small studio.

mhs004

i just got to chapter 9 fuck this chapter ruvik pls the game was enjoyable for me all the way up to this chapter :(

Is this when
you're in the mansion and the room turns blue then he chases you? If so just run away and he will eventually stop chasing.

Top Bottom