• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

How in the hell did you guys play through this game, with its exceptional amount of jank? I am constantly in awe of how rough around the edges this game is. The framerate and controls are really making me want to stop. Having zero fun, so I guess I should shelve it. PS4 btw.

I played the PC version which ran pretty flawlessly for me. Controls on a dualshock 4 felt great from the jump so I stuck with that.

Finally cleared enough of my backlog to get to this game. So far, so good.

Any tips for beginners? I noticed I'm actually pretty bad at this so far.

Recommended upgrades:
- Get sprint level 3 as early as possible. Get level 4 somewhere down the line. 5 is overkill.

- Reticle sway and headshot critical upgrades for the revolver are really important.

- Upgrade ammo stock on occasion, this actually increases the amount dropped as well.

- Upgrading your health also serves to refill your health bar. So do the upgrades when you're low on health.

- Matches can kill multiple enemies at once. Use this to your advantage to save ammo.

- Harpoon level 5 practically brakes the game as it one shot kills all non boss enemies. It's pretty expensive, but you can get it sometime later in the game. You don't really need it, but it helps.

Recommended upgrades:
- Get sprint level 3 as early as possible. Get level 4 somewhere down the line. 5 is overkill.

- Reticle sway and headshot critical upgrades for the revolver are really important.

- Upgrade ammo stock on occasion, this actually increases the amount dropped as well.

- Upgrading your health also serves to refill your health bar. So do the upgrades when you're low on health.

- Matches can kill multiple enemies at once. Use this to your advantage to save ammo.

- Harpoon level 5 practically brakes the game as it one shot kills all non boss enemies. It's pretty expensive, but you can get it sometime later in the game. You don't really need it, but it helps.
Good stuff, thanks. I noticed that first point the hard way during the early chapters lol. Level 1 sprint is terrifying awful.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started this last week, I'm up to ch8 now. Some impressions from a pretty big RE4 fan.

- Generally, liking it more than I expected. This is like a scarier and more challenging spiritual successor to RE4. Even though it has a lot in common with RE4 and the homages are plentiful, it's not a rehash at all. The only complaints RE4 ever got was that the survival aspect and scare factor were gone... TEW sure adresses that.
- Playing on Survival and I'm pleasantly surprised by the difficulty. This game's no joke. There was one point (after you kill the second
chainsaw dude
) where I had literally 0 ammo for all weapons. Ammo feels scarce, but I like that. Only piece of advice a friend gave me, was to get the sprint upgrades asap, and it's the one tip I'd give as well. The starting amount is just cruel.
- I wish there was a 'restart last checkpoint' option. There are some encounters that I wanted to retry to conserve ammo, or try other approaches.
- Ch3 is the most memorable so far. A more twisted and dangerous version of the RE4 village that took me nearly 2 hours to beat. It's big, complex and creepy as fuck.
- Ch5 was the other side of the medal, an overly long chapter that should've ended sooner.
- Mikami sure likes re-using the Verdugo idea in this game. Even though The Keeper fight was scary as hell, I'm hoping that's the last boss that keeps following you around. But that was one hell of an encounter, damn.
- I got this on PS4, but wish I got the pc version. There's some slowdown and pop-in here and there. Nothing really annoying, but definitely noticeable.

I read there are 15 chapters, so I'm still only halfway. Turning out to be a pretty big game.

Nemmy

- I wish there was a 'restart last checkpoint' option. There are some encounters that I wanted to retry to conserve ammo, or try other approaches.

In the PC version you can just load the most recent save (which usually is the checkpoint one) to do that. Not sure about PS4, but I can't see why that wouldn't work in that version as well.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
In the PC version you can just load the most recent save (which usually is the checkpoint one) to do that. Not sure about PS4, but I can't see why that wouldn't work in that version as well.

Ugh, of course that works, didn't realize you could load the autosave, thanks.

Just finished Chapter 7.
-Oh boy, some of these boss fights are intense as all hell; probably the strongest part of the game for me.
-I'm still waiting for some of these plot threads to come together.
-This checkpoint system can be VERY frustrating.

Nemmy

There are lots of checkpoints, though. As well as save points you can use over and over in certain places.

I honestly don't get why people are having issues with the checkpoints. Aside from literally a couple ones in the second half of the game, I thought there were too many of them rather than too few.

-MD-

Can someone please share play with me this game. I am stuck on the final level and I wanna throw my PS4 out the window.

Please help

PSN is silentchiloner

How does that work? I have a PS4 but I never use the thing so I don't know anything about it.

I don't have PS+ either, will it still let me help?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
the entire sequence of
that giant spinning blade, flame & grinder traps, then Laura part 3
in chapter 10 was so tense. My one major complaint right now is that there are too many stalker/chaser bosses. Pretty much every boss in the last few chapters chased me around, and it's getting a bit tiresome. I don't know if this is mentioned often, but this mechanic feels overused.

Jonm1010

Banned
Not sure I have ever played a game with such an enjoyment spike.

I would of given up on this game by the second chapter if it weren't for people saying it gets better. Boy does it.

I am only on chapter 6 but this game has gone from a "this is kind of bad" game in chapter 1 to "meh" in chapter 2 to "holy shit I am going to stay up all night playing this" by chapter 6.

Not sure I have ever played a game with such an enjoyment spike.

I would of given up on this game by the second chapter if it weren't for people saying it gets better. Boy does it.

I am only on chapter 6 but this game has gone from a "this is kind of bad" game in chapter 1 to "meh" in chapter 2 to "holy shit I am going to stay up all night playing this" by chapter 6.

it comes down from that

because if I don't I will either throw my controller out the window (I got it digitally) or forever be doomed to know I got so far but never finished.

What part of the chapter are you stuck at? Wait. Nevermind. Just saw a coupe posts up.

Pick up all the ammo and disarm all the traps in the area before triggering the two Keepers. Get absolutely everything in the area. Set up explosive bolts in front of where they spawn, The pool fills with water too If I remember. Yeah make sure you're not in there when it happens

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That section in ch13 with the
fake ruviks, acid and bear traps
was so tense and cruel. Took me a bunch of tries. Played through ZombiU recently and that was pretty intense, but this takes the cake. Shaping up to be a really memorable game for me...

On Demand

Banned
How am I suppose to beat this chainsaw guy if I have no bullets left? I'm up to chapter 6. It's the part after you have to kill those zombies shooting metal stuff at you. Am I stuck here? I used all the ammo I have on him already. About 12 handgun bullets and a couple shock and harpoon bolts.

The game is really good by the way. I didn't think I would enjoy it so much. Love the classic game play vibes it gives me.

-MD-

How am I suppose to beat this chainsaw guy if I have no bullets left? I'm up to chapter 6. It's the part after you have to kill those zombies shooting metal stuff at you. Am I stuck here? I used all the ammo I have on him already. About 12 handgun bullets and a couple shock and harpoon bolts.

The game is really good by the way. I didn't think I would enjoy it so much. Love the classic game play vibes it gives me.

Did you scavenge the entire area for ammo? Any spare parts to craft more bolts?

On Demand

Banned
Did you scavenge the entire area for ammo? Any spare parts to craft more bolts?

I checked and only found enough parts for 1 bolt. Damn this is similar to what always happened to me in RE. I always ran out of ammo. If my friend were here he would laugh his ass off. He made fun of me about it in the RE days.

Should I start the chapter over then?

-MD-

I checked and only found enough parts for 1 bolt. Damn this is similar to what always happened to me in RE. I always ran out of ammo. If my friend were here he would laugh his ass off. He made fun of me about it in the RE days.

Should I start the chapter over then?

You don't have to restart the whole chapter, you could reload to a previous checkpoint.

Jonm1010

Banned
it comes down from that

Yeah you seem to be right.

I am on Chp 9 right now and the insta-death shit is beginning to make me not want to continue with this game. I mean you do about 20 minutes of searching, strategically killing enemies and then all of the sudden a cutscene kicks in and I slide into two grinders because I couldn't stop it in time.

No checkpoint so I go back to my save that was twenty minutes ago.

That sort of shit isn't fun, its cheap and completely unnecessary. If they are going to employ such tactics then put a checkpoint right before it occurs like almost every game in existence.

-MD-

If they are going to employ such tactics then put a checkpoint right before it occurs like almost every game in existence.

If it checkpointed right before that trap then there's be no consequence from dying, any tension would be gone.

Cheap though? It gives you at least 3 shots before you die. Anyways, if it's that much trouble for you then just run directly to the trap, shoot it then save.

Jonm1010

Banned
If it checkpointed right before that trap then there's be no consequence from dying, any tension would be gone.

It's cheap, lazy and poor game design. You can put scenarios into games like this without giving away its occurrence and without forcing the player back 20-30 minutes of their progress for not surviving a glorified QTE.

On Demand

Banned
Ah, yeah maybe you still have the manual save as you enter that area where you pick the sniper up.

Nevermind. I just realized I have 3 grenades! Used them and then it took about 8 handgun bullets to kill him. Finally! The grenades still took me awhile because I had to coordinate my throw because he runs around.

That was close. Need to learn to save my ammo.

myco666

It's cheap, lazy and poor game design. You can put scenarios into games like this without giving away its occurrence and without forcing the player back 20-30 minutes of their progress for not surviving a glorified QTE.

You can always backtrack to save in that chapter so having checkpoints is more or less unnecessary. Also now that you know the area better it should only take few minutes to get back to that point.

I just upgraded my agony harpoon bolts to level 5 at the start of Chapter 10. Will this thing beast bosses from here on out?

It should make chapter 10 alot easier. Not really sure if the added fire does more damage to all bosses but atleast one of them is weak to fire.

You can run back to the save room anytime. And you'll realize you can get back to the trap pretty quickly.

just finished my second run through on survival speed run at 3:58. Super fun stuff.

Onto my no upgrade akumu run to get the rest of the achievements. fuck me.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

That mode seems insane. Any one hit, even when you hit a bear trap or get sneezed on, kills you right? Thanks, no platinum for me.

I just finished the game. 18,5 hours, 96 deaths. Some parts dragged on too long and the chaser bosses started to annoy me after a while, but other than that this was a fantastic game. Came in expecting more RE4-like gameplay, but it delivered way more than that. Exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

Started NG+ to get some more trophies and mess around with the unlocked guns. Backlog will probably keep me from beating the game again though.

-MD-

I really want the DLC now plz & thx.

Came in expecting more RE4-like gameplay, but it delivered way more than that. Exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

Glad to hear that.

Fuck lol, I'm decent at this game but a no upgrade akumu run is a scary thought. The stamina situation might be annoying during a couple sections.

That mode seems insane. Any one hit, even when you hit a bear trap or get sneezed on, kills you right? Thanks, no platinum for me.

I just finished the game. 18,5 hours, 96 deaths. Some parts dragged on too long and the chaser bosses started to annoy me after a while, but other than that this was a fantastic game. Came in expecting more RE4-like gameplay, but it delivered way more than that. Exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

Started NG+ to get some more trophies and mess around with the unlocked guns. Backlog will probably keep me from beating the game again though.

all i need is the no upgrade run, akumu and nightmare and that run nets me all of them. im at the chainsaw guy and its been okay so far. Going from survival to akumu was a little crazy. More bad guys and they all run so fast.

just finished chapter 3 (no upgrade akumu) chain saw guy was crazy easy. he didnt even make it out of his stall. i had three axes and 1 torch and only killed one infected in the entire chapter to get the third axe. once chainsaw dies everyone else does then i went around and picked up my parts and gear.

Good lord was chapter 10 exhausting! I was determined to kill Laura on my first play-through, but it took near perfection to do so. I pretty much had to burn her at every corpse and at every pipe, blow up bombs next to her, and unleash my entire arsenal to kill her (Including my fully upgraded harpoon bolts). But it was SO SATISFYING. I'm just glad that they replenished a lot of my ammo after that fight, because I was nearly bone dry. The second boss was pretty muh a pushover in comparison. This was probably the hardest chapter for me thus far. I need a break.

Fantastic video from Super Bunnyhop. How Design Trends Ruin Great Games.

Good video. I really like most of his content but he doesn't give TEW enough credit. Yes you get a Last of us vibe but the game does third person combat and level design so well.

I'm actually really surprised he didn't talk at all about the difficulty of the game. He mentions some older games and how he liked that the gameplay and controls were intentionally difficult, yet doesn't talk about what the evil within does in this area. There were a lot of people talking about how the game was janky, which I think is intentional. The zoomed in aiming ads another challenge. You can move and shoot but you are punished more for doing so than other games. You have limited stamina and bad accuracy that need to be upgraded. These things are all designed to handicap the player.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Like many others I'd imagine, Debussy's Clair de Lune will now be forever linked to this game. I can't imagine hearing it again and not see breaking mirrors, light and the save hub. A beautiful composition that always soothed me, suddenly feels very different.

Top Bottom