• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't think you'd get enough ammo to make it worth it unless you really hoard it. That said I haven't tried it for myself.
I don't know how true it is, but somebody on here or in another TEW thread was talking about how the frequency of ammo drops is tied to your ammo upgrade bar.

-MD-

I don't know how true it is, but somebody on here or in another TEW thread was talking about how the frequency of ammo drops is tied to your ammo upgrade bar.

I don't know how true this is either, I wanna say stock does do something for ammo drops but I had a fully upgraded pistol on one playthrough and had 0 ammo for it for like 2-3 full chapters which made me start to question it.

Anyways, magnum ammo is just super rare no matter what. There are a few spots where it's always placed but most of the ammo is found from briefcases. It's worth dumping some points into damage to take down some later bosses with ease though.

gelf

Fantastic video from Super Bunnyhop. How Design Trends Ruin Great Games.

While I think its slightly unfair to use Evil Within as the example game for that vid I wholeheartedly agree with the general point. So much in the AAA space is playing the same and it does get tiring. Its nice to hear a reviewer talk like this really as too often its the opposite situation of criticism that a game doesn't control or play like every other one.

As an aside since they were compared in that vid, I vastly prefer Evil Within to The Last of Us in almost every way.

There are no random Magnum ammo drops as far as I remember. You get it from briefcases, 2 or 3 lockers, and a few secret locations (well I only know one, but I assume there are others).

Other ammo types are definitely affected by your stock capacity. I'm up to ch11 on my no upgrade run, and I never get more than 6 handgun bullets a drop. On a normal upgrade run I'd see like 15 bullets drop, even on Akumu.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Game was meant to be played on Nightmare. Holy shit chapter 2 was awesome, I didn't expect a shitload of zombies to come out of the cabin with the key. Scared me shitless.

Pilgrimzero

I'm on Ch. 3 trying to sneak through a village with no real idea where I'm going aside from "get through the gate". Just died for the 4th time after having collected tons of items that I have to re-do.

This game is like the opposite of fun.

I mean good lord, is this game really just straight stealth? f i wanted a stealth game I'd play Thief.

And how did the main PC ever become a cop? He cant run 5 feet without having to stop and take a deep breath.

Just got to chapter 9 on my nightmare mode playthrough. I really think from the start of chapter 6 to the end of chapter 8 is such a great and well paced section of this game. Everything just ramps up and then slows down while still keeping you tense, and it has some great boss and miniboss fights spread through it. It ends with an extremely intense boss fight that this time I tried to do without losing any ammo that I came into it with which was a lot of fun. You can really tell they spent effort perfectly timing the way the things work in that boss fight, from how long he takes when spawning in to how long it takes to turn the wheels or disarm his traps. Everything just works together to make you always feel like you just slipped away from danger. I also think that once the majority of the gas is gone he gains some new attacks or something, and seemed far more aggressive. Before he just walks at you but afterward he can charge at you from across the area.

I'm on Ch. 3 trying to sneak through a village with no real idea where I'm going aside from "get through the gate". Just died for the 4th time after having collected tons of items that I have to re-do.

I mean good lord, is this game really just straight stealth? f i wanted a stealth game I'd play Thief.

And how did the main PC ever become a cop? He cant run 5 feet without having to stop and take a deep breath.

It's definitely not straight stealth, but it is emphasized more in the first 3 chapters due to how few resources you have. The village sequence is great honestly, there is so much to find and learn about it before you start taking out dudes. The traps are very useful for this purpose.

Also, don't expend all your stamina when running and you will never have to stop to recharge, you are supposed to feather it but never fully deplete the gauge.

gdt

The stealth backs wayyyyy off not too far after that.

Pilgrimzero

So I got to the spider woman and blew all my ammo which was low from the fight in the blood pit earlier) only to find out I could have just run away. Now there is an invisible guy after me and I have no ammo at the start of this chapter.

The game is much better now though.

I finally beat the game last night. What a ride! I have to admit though, I felt like the last chapter dragged on a bit much. All the insta-fail running sequences really annoyed me, but everything else was great.

Aaand I'm totally confused on what the hell happened, so I'll be reading up on the spoilers thread.

Overall, I would have put this game in my GAF GOTY Top 10 list if I wasn't LTTP. A little rough around the edges (on PS4 anyway), but the core gameplay was a blast.

Final embarrassing stats on Survival:
Clear Time: 18:10:40
Deaths: 76

namDa65

Just beat the game on casual in 12 hours. Got the game a week ago.

Fantastic game, although if I played on survival I might have thought differently. I'm not hardcore like you guys.

I don't think you'd get enough ammo to make it worth it unless you really hoard it. That said I haven't tried it for myself.

Definitely worth it. Since you already have maxed out harpoons the rest of the game should be a breeze if you also max magnum. Makes few bosses way easier.

I don't know how true this is either, I wanna say stock does do something for ammo drops but I had a fully upgraded pistol on one playthrough and had 0 ammo for it for like 2-3 full chapters which made me start to question it.

Anyways, magnum ammo is just super rare no matter what. There are a few spots where it's always placed but most of the ammo is found from briefcases. It's worth dumping some points into damage to take down some later bosses with ease though.

I'd put one or two levels into magnum firepower, but that's it.
By the way, I ended up maxing out the magnum damage because, why the hell not? My other weapons were sufficiently upgraded, so I went for it. I also upgraded stock a couple times just to make sure I could keep any ammo that I came by.

And holy shit! I think I took down the
dual keepers
in a combined 6 shots lol! I think the
Quell
took 5-6 shots as well. Sure, it probably took some of the fun and challenge out of those fights but I was already dominating most enemies with fully upgraded harpoon. Anyway, that weapon is a total BEAST for late game.

By the way, I ended up maxing out the magnum damage because, why the hell not? My other weapons were sufficiently upgraded, so I went for it. I also upgraded stock a couple times just to make sure I could keep any ammo that I came by.

And holy shit! I think I took down the
dual keepers
in a combined 6 shots lol! I think the
Quell
took 5-6 shots as well. Sure, it probably took some of the fun and challenge out of those fights but I was already dominating most enemies with fully upgraded harpoon. Anyway, that weapon is a total BEAST for late game.

Good to see it worked out for you :D Nice when the game gives you options to diversify how you play it. On my nightmare playthrough right now I am really understanding how good harpoons are.

sphinx

the piano man
I am in Chapter 10 on my first playthrough on survival difficulty.

I am considering
beating Laura with weapons to get the goodies and the money. I saw a video on youtube and seems doable with the bolts.

Anyone tried it?

I'm trying to get to the bottom of an TEW mystery, thought this would be a good place to ask. Previews of the game apparently included a special 'ultimate' type of ammo for the Agony Crossbow called the Nightmare Bolt. Gametrailers mentioned them in a preview of the game a month or two before release (in which Brandon Jones dubbed them 'Nightmarrows'). They apparently suck all enemies into a dark vortex like that Ratchet and Clank weapon.

AFAIK they're not in the game at all! Searches show up nothing. Am I being myopic and it's in the game, or are we dealing with cut content here? Any insight would be appreciated.

kodecraft

I'm trying to get to the bottom of an TEW mystery, thought this would be a good place to ask. Previews of the game apparently included a special 'ultimate' type of ammo for the Agony Crossbow called the Nightmare Bolt. Gametrailers mentioned them in a preview of the game a month or two before release (in which Brandon Jones dubbed them 'Nightmarrows'). They apparently suck all enemies into a dark vortex like that Ratchet and Clank weapon.

AFAIK they're not in the game at all! Searches show up nothing. Am I being myopic and it's in the game, or are we dealing with cut content here? Any insight would be appreciated.

Sounds like cut content, or DLC at least

Ame

I am in Chapter 10 on my first playthrough on survival difficulty.

I am considering
beating Laura with weapons to get the goodies and the money. I saw a video on youtube and seems doable with the bolts.

Anyone tried it?

I remember doing this on my first playthrough on survival. I had to use everything to take her down. I was only left with 2 bullets in my sniper rifle when it was all over. I was pretty much stacked before the fight. I found freeze bolts with well placed sniper shots to the head and the shotgun at close range were most effective.

I also forgot I had this saved on my PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg5cHod0mHE

Error

I'm having more fun in my second playthrough on nightmare than when I first played it. Mikami is god. Just hook the DLC straight into my veins bethesda.

I'm hoping for TEW2, I want more of this world.

sphinx

the piano man
I remember doing this on my first playthrough on survival. I had to use everything to take her down. I was only left with 2 bullets in my sniper rifle when it was all over. I was pretty much stacked before the fight. I found freeze bolts with well placed sniper shots to the head and the shotgun at close range were most effective.

I also forgot I had this saved on my PS4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg5cHod0mHE

I did it and it went actually pretty well. I gotta admit I had to look on a video to find the handles above but the fight itself wasn't that terrible

I relied for the most part on my crossbow, using mostly the regular bolts (forgot the name, those that get fire with the last upgrade, I had it at level 4). I had 60 traps parts and ended up with 30 :( by the end I was getting a bit upset that she won't go down but it worked.

I did use the shotgun and gun a couple of times but I didn't depleted my bullets at all, when I went to collect the goodies I was back fully loaded.

The beast after that, I'd hit the eye and then the head at the beginning or reload. what a Salazar rip off, lol

I'm having more fun in my second playthrough on nightmare than when I first played it. Mikami is god. Just hook the DLC straight into my veins bethesda.

I'm hoping for TEW2, I want more of this world.

if I do a +NG, will my upgrades carry over??? I really want a YES for an answer here... >_< I want to do a 2nd playthrough ridiculously overpowered. I want to destroy everything and everyone lol

Nemmy

if I do a +NG, will my upgrades carry over??? I really want a YES for an answer here... >_< I want to do a 2nd playthrough ridiculously overpowered. I want to destroy everything and everyone lol

Yes, you get to keep everything. Plus you get a couple of uninteresting bonus weapons.

kodecraft

Nah, you're in for a surprise. This game doesn't allow you to be Rambo at all. You'll have weapons sure but what good are they with STILL limited ammo.

You still will need to think and use your stealth kills etc.

You won't go through the game really destroying much.

-MD-

You won't go through the game really destroying much.

Well dunno bout you but I absolutely wreck everything in ng+ with all the upgrades. You do still need to be mindful of ammo and stuff though of course, can't just start wasting shots left n right.

kodecraft

Well dunno bout you but I absolutely wreck everything in ng+ with all the upgrades. You do still need to be mindful of ammo and stuff though of course, can't just start wasting shots left n right.

Don't get me wrong you're powerful, because of the upgrades. So you will die less. You just won't go through the game wrecking shop on every enemy you see because of the ammo STILL being a limited resource.

RE4's Chicago typewriter is the absolute definition of wrecking shop.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
hey, i just wanted to share that, after 3 days, i was able to get past the burning house in chapter 6 akumu.

i almost gave up, but i discovered that after killing the first 2 enemies in the first phase, other 3 would spawn and you could just run in circles tossing flash bolts until joseph opened the door.

In the second phase placed explosive bolts where the enemies spawn(initially 3), positioned me close to joseph and shot a shock bolt in front of me. 3 would be killed in explosions and 3 with shock+matches. After this i crafted flash bolts and ran in circles until the door was opened. Walked out with 8 shotgun shells, 13 revolver bullets, 5 granades and 9 partes remaining, which i hope is enough for the next part.

Never Again

sphinx

the piano man
Don't get me wrong you're powerful, because of the upgrades. So you will die less. You just won't go through the game wrecking shop on every enemy you see because of the ammo STILL being a limited resource.

RE4's Chicago typewriter is the absolute definition of wrecking shop.

I am ok with being mindful of my ammo, I just don't want every random enemy to take 5 handgun shots to kill, that's very annoying

hey, i just wanted to share that, after 3 days, i was able to get past the burning house in chapter 6 akumu.

i almost gave up, but i discovered that after killing the first 2 enemies in the first phase, other 3 would spawn and you could just run in circles tossing flash bolts until joseph opened the door.

In the second phase placed explosive bolts where the enemies spawn(initially 3), positioned me close to joseph and shot a shock bolt in front of me. 3 would be killed in explosions and 3 with shock+matches. After this i crafted flash bolts and ran in circles until the door was opened. Walked out with 8 shotgun shells, 13 revolver bullets, 5 granades and 9 partes remaining, which i hope is enough for the next part.

Never Again
At one point I didn't even bother killing any more enemies , I just kept them stunned with flash bolts until Joseph opened the door.

kodecraft

Thinking about it more and more you guys can't tell me the idea of a Tomb Raider 2013 x The Evil Within game wouldnt be kick ass awesome.

The aiming field of view, the gun feed back, hospital hub world, and enemies from TEW.

The set pieces, the scale of adventure, climbing, sense of discovery, and the way Laura Croft controls from Tomb Raider 2013.

Tomb Raider: The Evil Within.

Tell me that's not a game you guys would play the hell out of.

Never Again

today is day 4 for me. But i also dont have any upgrades. why i picked akumu to do a no upgrade run... i dont know. i can pass the first part 50% of the time. The second part i can kill the first 6 with just barrells then i think ill try your explosive arrows and lighting.

I FUCKING HATE with a passion that it doesnt equip bolts you last shot when you make them. I have died twice thinking i had flash bolts. instead i had a basic bolt.

Thinking about it more and more you guys can't tell me the idea of a Tomb Raider 2013 x The Evil Within game wouldnt be kick ass awesome.

The aiming field of view, the gun feed back, hospital hub world, and enemies from TEW.

The set pieces, the scale of adventure, climbing, sense of discovery, and the way Laura Croft controls from Tomb Raider 2013.

That sounds dumb as shit.

Unrelated, but where's mah DLC at Bethesda? I don't want them to rush it, but even a rough date would be great at this point ;_;

-MD-

I pretty much hated everything about Tomb Raider 2013. Do not want.

Error

Didn't realize how useful flash bolts are. cheap to upgrade and giving you 10+ seconds for stealth kills is great.

Error

Fantastic video from Super Bunnyhop. How Design Trends Ruin Great Games.

I agree with some of it, but most of the conventions TEW borrows from works extremely well for me for some reason. The upgrade system gives you freedom on how to build your character and the stealth is another combat option at your disposal.

I find the combat in TEW incredibly satisfying even though it's much more limited than in RE6, Sebastian is more limited than any of the RE6 characters but these limitations makes the game more tense, TEW also has better enemies and more interesting scenarios and better boss fights. The level design in RE6 refuses to let you have fun, whereas TEW is expertly paced and knows when to go all out with noise and when to have more 'quiet' moments where you can explore and stuff, RE6 is like it's always pushing you forward and it doesn't let you take a breather it feels exhausting. Guns in TEW just feel right, the feedback is great.

About the only thing that holds the title back is id Tech 5, Tango should just build their own engine for their games.

edit: sorry for the double post!

Pilgrimzero

a couple of funny things I just ran into.

Joseph threatens to kill himself with my gun. My empty ammo-less gun.

A bit further down the path he finds a sniper rifle and tells me "he will cover me". A baddie near by has a sniper rifle and pings me. Joseph ignores him as he keeps shooting at me (and ignores the more obvious target of Joseph, who is not in any cover at all.)

kodecraft

Thank you for making such a great OT.

I kind of get Luis (RE4) vibes from the main character for some reason. Maybe its the outfit.

That sounds dumb as shit.

Unrelated, but where's mah DLC at Bethesda? I don't want them to rush it, but even a rough date would be great at this point ;_;

Doesn't sound "dumb as shit". Guaranteed you've played or even bought games worse then what you feel my idea is.

Don't know what you want until it's in your face confirmed.

I pretty much hated everything about Tomb Raider 2013. Do not want.

Damn.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Any word on a new patch ? On my first playthrough and the framerate is terrible.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I thinks its going to be about as good as its going to get. PC? if so drop the shadows down the and add an image cache.

Forgot to say I'm on PS4.
Open areas get crazy dips on framerate.

Forgot to say I'm on PS4.
Open areas get crazy dips on framerate.

Unless they update around the time of the DLC. We already got one performance boost across all platforms. Tango really screwed the pooch with ID Tech 5. The megatextures are nice but not nice enough to make up for the difference in performance in other engines.

nortonff

Unless they update around the time of the DLC. We already got one performance boost across all platforms. Tango really screwed the pooch with ID Tech 5. The megatextures are nice but not nice enough to make up for the difference in performance in other engines.

They really did. Was such a smooth engine on RAGE. Guess the lightning really screwed the performence.
This engine is not worth the trouble.

Top Bottom