• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I just realized that if you keep holding the fire button, the crossbow's aiming line will extend and you'll actually be able to tell where your shot will end up at.

Would've been nice if the game told you that instead of finding out about it in a random YouTube video 3.8 playthroughs later v_v

-MD-

I just realized that if you keep holding the fire button, the crossbow's aiming line will extend and you'll actually be able to tell where your shot will end up at.

Would've been nice if the game told you that instead of finding out about it in a random YouTube video 3.8 playthroughs later v_v

Wait, you never charged your bolts by holding the button down? You can even upgrade charge time with gel for faster firing.

OHfLpug.png

(hold longer to adjust projectile distance)

-MD-

Well it has 2 phases, easiest way to do it is to deal enough damage to get it into phase 2 (boss will turn purple) and then use the 2 side rooms to finish it off.

When it's in phase 2 run into a side room, dump whatever ammo you have into the boss when it peaks through the door and then run out of the room before it grabs you. Should die after both rooms are used.

On Demand

Banned
Well it has 2 phases, easiest way to do it is to deal enough damage to get it into phase 2 (boss will turn purple) and then use the 2 side rooms to finish it off.

When it's in phase 2 run into a side room, dump whatever ammo you have into the boss when it peaks through the door and then run out of the room before it grabs you. Should die after both rooms are used.

Ah. I actually got it to phase 2. I hid under the cars and ran around. I'll try your way.

sphinx

the piano man
Wait, you never charged your bolts by holding the button down? You can even upgrade charge time with gel for faster firing.

(hold longer to adjust projectile distance)

mind blown. I am nearing the end of the game and I never knew this. Thanks for pointing it out

sphinx

the piano man
I always assumed that the crossbow's body covering the aiming sight was a fuck up on Tango's part, turns out they expect you to charge it first before actually firing it :lol

I thought it was part of the challenge, I mean Sebastian does not look like an experienced archer so I asumed it was just him being a bit off with the aiming. I rarely miss though, I am just glad it can be done easier

vg260

Welp, that's also something for me to post in the next "gameplay mechanic you totally missed" thread.

Other random stuff I saw on this YouTube playthrough:

- You can use freeze bolts on proximity bombs. When they're frozen you can pick up the trap parts without doing the mini game.

- You can also freeze those spinny metallic things that appear in the kitchen sequence among other times.

- In chapter 15, you can use flash bolts to temporarily blind the
Ruvik's eye searchlights
making it easier to pass.

I also found this one by myself:

- The two headed enemies in ch7 and 8 can be actually killed in one hit without ammo. If they're crawling on the ground, go up to their head and press the melee button, if Sebastian does the stomp attack then he'll bash their heads in and they'll immediately die. You might need to press the button a few times for him to do it. Works even on Nightmare (and probably Akumu).

- If they're standing, you can climb on something so there's an elevation difference between you two. If you press the melee button, Sebastian will kick them really far away and they'll be on the ground. Quickly run up to them and bash their head in.

Nemmy

- You can use freeze bolts on proximity bombs. When they're frozen you can pick up the trap parts without doing the mini game.

- You can also freeze those spinny metallic things that appear in the kitchen sequence among other times.

Ruvik's eye searchlights

- The two headed enemies in ch7 and 8 can be actually killed in one hit without ammo. If they're crawling on the ground, go up to their head and press the melee button, if Sebastian does the stomp attack then he'll bash their heads in and they'll immediately die. You might need to press the button a few times for him to do it. Works even on Nightmare (and probably Akumu).

- If they're standing, you can climb on something so there's an elevation difference between you two. If you press the melee button, Sebastian will kick them really far away and they'll be on the ground. Quickly run up to them and bash their head in.

Holy shit! These are some amazing tips.
There's more cool tricks to be pulled in this game than I thought.

The crossbow charge was a mindblown moment for me too, such a simple thing that I completely missed. Anyway the developer rep on the community hub on Steam says the DLC is coming soon!
gstaffBethesda [developer] Feb 8 @ 5:43pm
It's coming soon. We'll have more information in the near future!

Another poster speculates February 17th, from this thread.

Also, the Quell is a damn great boss.

kodecraft

Ruvik's eye searchlights

Wow, didn't know this!

I'm kind of regretting upgrading my pistol to max critical chance now that I'm facing more and more guys with protective masks. It was great for when swarmed with normal dudes but now I end up using a lot of ammo on masked guys that can withstand headshots. Anyone have any good strategies for them that doesn't use a lot of ammo? Even a harpoon right to the face bounces off.

I'm kind of regretting upgrading my pistol to max critical chance now that I'm facing more and more guys with protective masks. It was great for when swarmed with normal dudes but now I end up using a lot of ammo on masked guys that can withstand headshots. Anyone have any good strategies for them that doesn't use a lot of ammo? Even a harpoon right to the face bounces off.
shotgun than match when they're down. Headshot with sniper rifle, or flash bolt than sneak kill.

Flash bolt sneak kills have been great for groups, even though it does feel a bit clumsy having to crouch again after each kill for the next one. I guess I'm just bummed that my pistol is less useful because I really liked using it, maybe a good strategy would be using bottles simply as distractions to get them to turn around then being able to pop them in the head without hitting the mask.

I've had to start using matches a lot more in these later chapters on nightmares because of all the
fake ruviks
but prior to this I really didn't use them much because I find the detection on dropping the match really wonky. Sometimes I'll be super close in and the prompt won't show and I put myself in a lot of danger. Gotta get more experienced with it I guess.

-MD-

Damn, look at how fast you can line up headshots on a mouse.

So ez.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Looks amazing on 60fps.

can anyone share play the evil within on ps4 with me so they can complete the final chapter (chapter 15) because this game has broken my resolve lol

Share play now

PSN= Silentchiloner

Finished my nightmare run and I am appreciating the mechanics of the game more now. Between playing it on Nightmare as well as watching this dude's Akumu run with no upgrades or keys I now see just how finely tuned the game is to let you avoid almost all damage. The way the sprint works and the attacks of the enemies totally lets you bait them and sprint away, even if you have never upgraded your sprint at all. This is a difference from RE4 where you just had the one fixed running speed, so everything had to be tuned around that, TEW adds another layer to the 'kiting enemies' part of these games where you can't deplete your sprint but have to carefully manage it while also watching enemies.

There are definitely some bad parts of the campaign. To me they are Chapter 1, some of 2, and the Gondola part of 12. 11 is kind of eh but I still am ok with it, but the meat of the game which is 3-10 I think is completely stellar and expertly paced. Particularly 6-8. 13-15 are a good end cap as well, a summary of the different gameplay experiences they've put you through as a test by giving you extremely tough versions of them.

Originally I thought this game was just unintentionally clumsy, but still enjoyed it. After playing it more now I am starting to come around to the thinking that this was a direct response to how consistent RE4 ended up being. By consistent I mean that once you master that game, everything feels like a tight system. You know exactly how everything will react and how enemies and yourself will move, you get to a point where the action kind of disappears and you play it like a machine, which is a good and bad thing. It's good in the sense that the mechanics are great and fun to play in that way, but bad in the sense that you end up losing a lot of the tension and fear that comes from being overwhelmed and not confident in your or your character's abilities.

TEW still has those systems but put through the grinder of making them obfuscated to not let you master them as easily, and not make it as obvious when things are happening. You might hit an enemy in the leg and knock them down, but you have no idea if they'll instantly get up or you'll have enough time to get in for a quick match kill. You might be able to use the shotgun for knockdowns or they might just shrug it off. You might pop a dude right in the head and take his head off or you might just blow off a chunk and have them continue running right at you. There are other examples but all these add up to make the experience much less predictable than I was used to, which leads to a lot of 'oh shit' moments and makes improvising crucial.

I stand by my view that TEW is ultimately a sort of halfway point between the old survival horror and what RE4 turned into. You are never comfortable with ammo and supplies, and are always on the backfoot, but you still have the opportunity to turn around and ultimately take down the threats which is a really great feeling. The little touches that you learn as you play such as enemies that give you an Axe or a Torch giving you a 'free kill' (not having to expend ammo), and using the traps against enemies all work together to make you feel like you have an edge based on what you've learned, but still vulnerable to large groups. I also think the bomb disarming minigame is the best hacking/disarming minigame I've ever seen in a game, it's so simple and fast yet you never feel 100% on it, even after 12 hours of playing the game you could still mess one up.

Anyway here are some 60fps webms I've made of my latest playthrough (with sound) if anyone's interested:
Chapter 10
Chapter 10 Traumas
Chapter 14
Quell boss fight

Chapter 15
Twin Keepers fight

muahahah. i finished the harpoon guy part with only firing 2 bullets 2 harpoons 1 lighting and one sniper. Triggered the chainsaw guy and the reset the checkpoint . No more badguys and time to defuse all the bombs and parts. oooh yeah. current total time is 1 hour 36 minutes.

Nemmy

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Apparently the first Evil Within DLC, The Assignment, has a high chance of releasing on Tuesday. 10 Achievements were just added to the game, update on Steam seems like it'll be 8 GB big, looks like its going live at least currently scheduled for Tuesday. However, Tuesday is not official, just a small drop and a scheduling thing, they could very well push it back, but it does look like the first DLC is nearly done.

-MD-

Apparently the first Evil Within DLC, The Assignment, is releasing on Tuesday. 10 Achievements were just added to the game, update on Steam seems like it'll be 8 GB big, looks like its going live at least currently scheduled for Tuesday.

The new achievements were added 3-4 weeks ago. A few people on the steamhub mentioned some Russian website claiming Feb 17th so we'll see. Also this

sphinx

the piano man
so I just finished my first playthrough and I am bit confused...

I want to replay the game with all the stuff I unlocked by beating the game in survival difficulty....

where is that?

New game seems like a new game from scratch so that's not it.

New Game + sends me to the first chapter but retaining my old save files, looks odd, I was expecting just a new playthrough, like in RE4....

I played a bit of the first chapter but have no weapons, when will they appear??

Thanks.

so I just finished my first playthrough and I am bit confused...

I want to replay the game with all the stuff I unlocked by beating the game in survival difficulty....

where is that?

New game seems like a new game from scratch so that's not it.

New Game + sends me to the first chapter but retaining my old save files, looks odd, I was expecting just a new playthrough, like in RE4....

I played a bit of the first chapter but have no weapons, when will they appear??

You get your inventory back in chapter 2. You can also just jump around between chapters and retain all your stuff, kinda like RE5.

Top Bottom