• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Mupod

On another note, I am so bored right now. I've actually been bored since finishing SoM and I think my post count doubled over the last week. I have so many unfinished games, yet none seem appealing right now. It's like looking forward to TEW, DA:I, Lords of the Fallen, TW3 and Bloodborne is killing any enthusiasm towards everything else.

I get like this sometimes too. It's a big part of why my backlog never gets any smaller. I'm trying to keep it under control with TEW by avoiding ALL media pertaining to the game but now I'm sitting here reading impressions and fuuuuuck I can't wait.

I'm going to be far away from my PC all weekend since my family lives 4-5 hours away and it's thanksgiving. It's gonna be torture. My only hope is to buy smash 3DS and hope it keeps me busy.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
There is another problem I just read that the Austria version only has German voice acting..., the German version ofc as well. I do not want German voice acting in a Shinji Mikami game.
My small shop only gets the Austria (PEGI) version.
Wait, I've never encountered this issue before.

I'm buying the French version. If they don't include English I'm fucked and would have to import from the UK or something. Buying from Amazon at least so I could return it if that turns out to be the case.

Dem opening credits! Dat title appearing at the end of the credits! DSFIUGSIDUIFGESIUFPESIFBSEC! MY HYPE HAS REACHED CRITICAL LEVELS!

And the texture loading for the most part seems under control, except when Sebastian busted through the door and the camera showed some buildings.

Who the fuck said this is the intro?

well thanks guy.

What the fuck did you think "the first 30 minutes of the game" meant besides the first 30 minutes of the game? Did the fucking opening credits not give it away? Not sure where you're from, but here on planet Earth, that's kinda how it works.

Can't go into detail but compared to what that other person posted on the other forum about abundance of ammo early on.... well...on chapter 3 and at this point and time I have NEVER been comfortable with the ammount of ammo I've had and plenty of moments where I have none. Just a fyi.

Korigama

Honestly, the "biggest feature" of the game was a major annoyance more than a threat. It was like playing the previous (and later) games except with the obligatory "here comes the fight or flight segement...again, zzz". RE3 was the only RE game that I literally struggled to finish, and not because it was difficult. That's counting RE0.
Actually, I only considered Nemesis one factor in the equation. I didn't see him as an annoyance so much as a mark for valuable goods, but that was due to my own insistence on learning how to beat him every time he had something when I ran into him on hard mode. I found it quite satisfying when I finally did so, especially when taking him on with a mere handgun was the most practical way to do so the first two times.

Other than this, I also enjoyed the Live Selection feature, as well as the ammo mixing system (its absence from future RE games something that I still lament), the fun and varied arsenal, and emergency dodging. The knife being useful for the first time in the series at that point was also appreciated, as was being able to climb and descend stairs manually for the first time instead of pressing a button to do so automatically. Most of the key item placements and puzzles were also more practical, not all of course (looking at you, crystal orb puzzle). Wasn't a fan of randomizing positions of enemy types, though.

Either way, I enjoyed it a lot. Just wished that more people liked it a bit better.

dark10x

Textures don't look to great. Also, even during cinematics the textures seem to load in.
Look at 28:08 - 28:12, the textures on the driver still need to load.
Compared to what?

For an id Tech 5 game they look amazing. I don't think they're too shabby in general either.

Yeah, I'm not watching. I've seen more than enough from the trailers, I'll at least let the opening of the game be fresh, for me.

If you have watched most of the early footage, you have honestly seen 90% of whats in that video. Not much new. But yeah if you don't want to watch anymore def stay away.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What the fuck did you think "the first 30 minutes of the game" meant besides the first 30 minutes of the game? Did the fucking opening credits not give it away? Not sure where you're from, but here on planet Earth, that's kinda how it works.

I mean not the very beginning silly, that's why i said i skipped to the part that we've already seen in trailers.

A intro doesn't mean it's automatically 30 minutes long.

Compared to what?

For an id Tech 5 game they look amazing. I don't think they're too shabby in general either.

Agreed. I'm not sure if I just had really low expectations because of the engine, but the overall performance of the game has really surprised me.

Judging from the intro, I'm actually quite shocked at how smooth things look - especially with so much happening in such an open space no less.

Steez

Wait, I've never encountered this issue before.

I'm buying the French version. If they don't include English I'm fucked and would have to import from the UK or something. Buying from Amazon at least so I could return it if that turns out to be the case.

I mentioned it earlier, but that's apparently how Bethesda handles their console games in Europe. Do not buy the French version, if you want to play in English. You most likely won't be able to.

Nibel

Skipped through it, and it looked better than I expected. Also, the lack of HUD adds a lot. (At least when there is no action I guess)

AsfaeksBR

I really dislike watching the beginning of a game.
The beginning and the end are sacred. So I won't be watching the video!

DVCY201

The opening credits were awesome. Interesting to see that Mikami is not credited as a writer, so we very well may be in for a quite a different story.

dark10x

I mentioned it earlier, but that's apparently how Bethesda handles their console games in Europe. Do not buy the French version, if you want to play in English. You most likely won't be able to.
Hmm, I bought the French version of Wolfenstein The New Order on PS4 which included English support. It seems odd that it would be different for this game.

Which other games did BethSoft publish with this issue?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel the same way. It's too close to release to still be looking at gameplay spoilers. I've seen enough for both purchases. That PS4 footage is a tad tempting.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
gstaff talking about the game now on twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch

Edit: Warning they are showing trailers for those who are on media blackout.

Edit2: Done, they will return later for some live gameplay.

2014-10-0918_09_43-twosqza.png

Birbo

Are any of you buying it digitally to get the 10% discount? I was going to wait to buy this on BF, but now I don't think I can wait.

Getting it on disc from Best Buy. I get 20% of with the Gamers Club plus they're give away a $10 gift card with purchase. Hard to pass up for $38 plus tax on release day.

Steez

Hmm, I bought the French version of Wolfenstein The New Order on PS4 which included English support. It seems odd that it would be different for this game.

Which other games did BethSoft publish with this issue?

Apparently Fallout, Skyrim and Dishonored. At least that's what I've read. Can't confirm it first hand since I never actually bought a Bethesda console release.

And well, the global community lead on the Bethesda forums basically confirmed that only the UK version is going to come with English VA.

Sanctuary

Still can't decide if I should get it on PC or X1/PS4.

Don't know how way off base this shit is, but apparently you need a 4gb card to even run it at 1080p. If you don't have a 4gb card you can still play the game, but not at 1080p. That's the new news. Just keeps getting better.

Shadow of Mordor needed 6gb of VRAM and my GTX770 2gb is running it at 70+ FPS on Ultra.

You aren't running ultra textures at 70fps. Doesn't even sound like you have them installed. That's what the 6gb was required for and even then it wasn't using more than 4.x.

dark10x

Apparently Fallout, Skyrim and Dishonored. At least that's what I've read. Can't confirm it first hand since I never actually bought a Bethesda console release.

And well, the global community lead on the Bethesda forums basically confirmed that only the UK version is going to come with English VA.
Shit. My enthusiasm for the game is shot now. Not sure what to do.

Steez

Shit. My enthusiasm for the game is shot now. Not sure what to do.

I think Amazon UK is pretty quick with their deliveries into other European countries. You do need a credit card, if you want to order something, which might be an issue for many Europeans (including me).

Another solution is downloading the game from the US PSN store. Just make sure to get US PSN cards. Ebay is a reliable source for those.

Grief.exe

I am so not looking at anything linked here. Sounds great though. Too bad no one can see how the PC port is running.

The German youtuber Gronkh posted PC gameplay of an old build. From a visual standpoint, the game looks markedly better than the console version.

Top Bottom