• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

DSmalls84

Can anyone comment on how how often you encountered Ruvik? Does it get stale fast or result in a lot of cheap deaths? From the previews that was really the only thing that worried me about this game.

Player on PS3 who has played past chapter 10 posting some impressions of the game so far, paraphrasing it here.

As been said, he has completed 10 chapters, his playtime so far is 10 44 47. Five more chapters to go in the game.

Says the game is surprising because it has no filler and it's been a long time since he's played a game like this. No exact repeat scenarios, constantly introducing new things and toying with old elements in new ways, and paced excellently. Says one of the game's strongest points is variety in the game and settings.

Conversely, he says one of the weaker points of the game is reoccurring mini-boss and boss monster characters, says outside of some technical things with the PS3 version of the game his only other complaint might be facing against the same sort of boss creature 2-3 different times, in different scenarios, but more variety would be nice.

Says the last two chapters have been the best chapters so far, and the game has been getting better and better. Says the last two chapters have felt more like a horror game than what has preceded it, and things in the game are getting very weird in a good way.

Minor spoilers of locations/similarities in the newest chapters.
Says there's things starting to pop-ip in the newest chapters, one location reminded heavily of Lovecraft's style, and another really reflective of the Otherworld in Silent Hill.

Paraphrasing done.

A lengthy campaign, no filler, amazing variety and great pacing?

MIKAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII! The master is back bitches!
1qEBJT0.gif

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Fuck man, i didn't want to know how many chapters are in the game.

FUCK, i'm out.

ArjanN

The developers commented the game doesn't have QTEs, and that seems to be true here.

If anything, as a Mikami game, the final boss is going to be blown up by a rocket launcher.

I've had a long time theory of what the final boss will be, but I guess I'll see. For better or worse I think at this point my theory may be on the money.

My theory, some over-observation possible spoilers included, warning may be a major spoiler as I think I'm right:
I believe the final boss is going to be an ancient Lovecraftian-styled monster god. The biggest support for this is that the Japanese novel brought up the five main villains of the game, The Sadist, Laura, The Keeper, Ruvik, and Shigyo, but Shigyo hasn't appeared in ANY media or mentioned anywhere to even be in The Evil Within outside of this one Japanese play novel, and in the play novel, it said Shigyo was, "Sebastian's true arch-nemesis." Its name literally is Japanese for Death Fish, and sounds very Lovecraftian. My long-running theory was that Ruvik is getting his power from something, and its probably this ancient elder god from another dimension. The demo I played at PAX mentioned people were studying where imagination and dreams come from, and something about a portal. I think it's a dimensional beast that has the ability to bring nightmares into reality, a monster of the subconscious and infects people with madness.

Not a bad theory.
Cthulhu-like boss fits the dream/madness thing.

The rocket launcher has always been a solution to the ammo management. So there's no way to completely dead-end yourself if you've used up to much ammo.

KooopaKid

Banned
Ok I've watched the first chapter and even tough I was scared it would be too creepy for me (Even if I still finished Silent Hill 2), it was ok (a bit like the Tomb Raider reboot) and more reminiscent of RE4 than SH. Now I wait for my trusted review sources, a few Gaffers impressions and how it runs on 360 compared to current gen. From what I saw, I sense a sleeper hit, it's very polished, the Arkham Asylum of 2014.

AsfaeksBR

Just woke up and read what Dusk wrote, including the spoiler.
Am I still dreaming? Because that looks too good to be true!

so i've mostly been on a media blackout about the game, i haven't seen anything besides a live action trailer (and some gifs that i didn't want to see D:)
but anyway, a couple of questions :
1) does the game have exploration ? i'm not necessarily talking about backtracking but mostly letting the player look around and deviate from the initial route
2) is there some replayability (costumes, new items, that sort of thing that you find in a lot of old and new japanese games)
3) any way to turn off achievement notifications on steam ? don't really want to see popups during game time.

This has probably been asked a mirrion times already, for which I apologise, but when does the review embargo for this game lift?

Oct 14, 12:01 am EST. :)

It's going to be a couple of late night recording sessions for me all weekend. I'll be sure to have a full blown walkthrough and review on launch with my channel.

Oct 14, 12:01 am EST. :)

It's going to be a couple of late night recording sessions for me all weekend. I'll be sure to have a full blown walkthrough and review on launch with my channel.

Midnight of the 14th. It is fairly consistent with past Bethesda games, but I do wish for a little heads up^^

Cheers me dears. Was hoping it'd be sooner than that; I'm anxious to read some reviews. Ah well.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A small shop here in Berlin has the game on Saturday for all available consoles.

The guy whose been nationally known for having over 1500 board games has his own gaming store as well here in town. I called it last night about early copies and nope. There isn't a mom and pop store here in town who does it. A cool fact I found out, he's also a professor at the Medical College up here.

Steam — Available for pre-load on October 10th. (We will update when it’s live)
PlayStation 3 & 4 — Currently slated for Pre-load on Sunday, October 12th. (We will update when it’s live)
Xbox One — Already available for preload with your purchase of the game.
Xbox 360 — Pre-loading is not available, however, you will be able to purchase digitally on day 1.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...-30fps-pre-load-date-revealed-and-other-info/

I have to wait till Sunday for the preload. That's okay. I'm trying to open up my week for a complete playthrough.

The guy whose been nationally known for having over 1500 board games has his own gaming store as well here in town. I called it last night about early copies and nope. There isn't a mom and pop store here in town who does it.

That's funny, the shop here is also not that huge, they seem to sell game always on Saturday early, he said game will be the PEGI version and will cost between €60 and €63.
Weird thing was he asked if I've pre-ordered the game, something tells me if I had say yes, he could have said, you can get the game today.

The "American prevailing" is a cliché that only happens in your Hollywood movies. Oh, Mr. Kennedy, you entertain me! To show you my appreciation, I will help you awaken from your world of clichés.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's funny, the shop here is also not that huge, they seem to sell game always on Saturday early, he said game will be the PEGI version and will cost between €60 and €63.
Weird thing was he asked if I've pre-ordered the game, something tells me if I had say yes, he could have said, you can get the game today.

Ask if you can preorder today then. Once you're done, bend your knees to the floor, and then rise up and wink at him.

1337Sauce

You will be banned pretty fast, because this game is under DCMA, the guy from Russia has met the same fate.

Thank you for the quick response, that's what I had assumed.

and no, I have not had a chance to play yet since I just picked my copy up this morning and have an exam this afternoon that I need to get through first. But after that, Canadian Thanksgiving (so long weekend) and the couple days off school next week that I have been given are going to completely dedicated to this game.

Ask if you can preorder today then. Once you're done, bend your knees to the floor, and then rise up and wink at him.

There is another problem I just read that the Austria version only has German voice acting..., the German version ofc as well. I do not want German voice acting in a Shinji Mikami game.
My small shop only gets the Austria (PEGI) version.

Steez

There is another problem I just read that the Austria version only has German voice acting..., the German version ofc as well. I do not want German voice acting in a Shinji Mikami game.

Where did you read that? I usually buy my games here in Germany and I never had any issues playing games in English.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I would agree. If I spoke German it would be different. I remember getting the Japanese import of Demon's Souls and finding out it was the Korean+Chinese version that was in English. I spent another $90 getting that imported as well. You might as well stick with the version you wish to have.

Facism

Compared to RE, RE2, RE4 and REmake? Definitely.

And I wish to god people would stop saying reocurring (not just this thread, I hear it ALL THE TIME).

Recur
Reoccur
Recurring

No lie capcom would be redeemed in my eyes if they did a REmake 2 that incorporated re3 as part of it.

AsfaeksBR

so i've mostly been on a media blackout about the game, i haven't seen anything besides a live action trailer (and some gifs that i didn't want to see D:)
but anyway, a couple of questions :
1) does the game have exploration ? i'm not necessarily talking about backtracking but mostly letting the player look around and deviate from the initial route
2) is there some replayability (costumes, new items, that sort of thing that you find in a lot of old and new japanese games)
3) any way to turn off achievement notifications on steam ? don't really want to see popups during game time.

1) Yes, a lot. You need to explore if you want to have enough resources at higher difficulty.

2) I haven't played it yet, so I can't say. But I know there's an achievement to speedrun the game in less than 5 hours, so that can be something.

3) You could either disable the Steam overlay completely (Settings -> In-Game -> Untick the box where it says 'Enable Steam Community In-Game') or disable it on a per-game basis (Right click the respective game in your library -> Properties and untick the 'Enable Steam Community In-Game' box in the 'General' tab).

I did some googling. Looks like that's really the case.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1507399-languages-included-in-the-console-version-sold-in-europe/

I've never bought a Bethesda published console game, so I wasn't aware of this issue, but it looks like releasing games without English voice acting is their usual M.O.

Ugh...

Yes, it seems to be the case in France too. No english.
Too bad, my store called me cause they had the game but I'll skip and order it from the UK.

Sanctuary

Not even remotely. If anything, it's still one of the best ones.

Honestly, the "biggest feature" of the game was a major annoyance more than a threat. It was like playing the previous (and later) games except with the obligatory "here comes the fight or flight segement...again, zzz". RE3 was the only RE game that I literally struggled to finish, and not because it was difficult. That's counting RE0.

On another note, I am so bored right now. I've actually been bored since finishing SoM and I think my post count doubled over the last week. I have so many unfinished games, yet none seem appealing right now. It's like looking forward to TEW, DA:I, Lords of the Fallen, TW3 and Bloodborne is killing any enthusiasm towards everything else.

200.gif

AsfaeksBR

On another note, I am so bored right now. I've actually been bored since finishing SoM and I think my post count doubled over the last week. I have so many unfinished games, yet none seem appealing right now. It's like looking forward to TEW, DA:I, Lords of the Fallen, TW3 and Bloodborne is killing any enthusiasm towards everything else.

Join me in his battle until Oct 14th (Oct 17th in my case) - Best stealth game of the year

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Snake-senpai we need you here tho

And those impressions sound great to me.

Haha, i'm still here man.

but yeah i really didn't want to hear how many chapters are in the game :/

Ah well, whatever. 5 days HYPE!

1) Yes, a lot. You need to explore if you want to have enough resources at higher difficulty.

2) I haven't played it yet, so I can't say. But I know there's an achievement to speedrun the game in less than 5 hours, so that can be something.

3) You could either disable the Steam overlay completely (Settings -> In-Game -> Untick the box where it says 'Enable Steam Community In-Game') or disable it on a per-game basis (Right click the respective game in your library -> Properties and untick the 'Enable Steam Community In-Game' box in the 'General' tab).

thanks for the answer

Top Bottom