• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think Amazon UK is pretty quick with their deliveries into other European countries. You do need a credit card, if you want to order something, which might be an issue for many Europeans (including me).

Another solution is downloading the game from the US PSN store. Just make sure to get US PSN cards. Ebay is a reliable source for those.
I already have a US account (my primary account) but I don't want to buy digitally.

The game will end up costing me a fair bit more ordering from the UK or the US. Really angry about this, actually.

I'm still holding onto some hope based on Wolfenstein since I can return it to Amazon if it turns out to be limited.

The German youtuber Gronkh posted PC gameplay of an old build. From a visual standpoint, the game looks markedly better than the console version.
That doesn't even seem possible to discern from a Youtube video. It's not like the PC version has its own set of assets created for it. What could it possibly bring to the table that would be clearly visible in a Youtube video?

AsfaeksBR

The German youtuber Gronkh posted PC gameplay of an old build. From a visual standpoint, the game looks markedly better than the console version.

Aside from 1440p that someone said the game was running (or at least the game's icons), it looked exactly the same.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm still not 100% convinced that Gronkh video was from the PC version but the IQ was almost too good for consoles.

Grief.exe

Aside from 1440p that someone said the game was running (or at least the game's icons), it looked exactly the same.

I'd have to watch it again at This point, I just remember comparing it to current gen footage.

I'm still not 100% convinced that Gronkh video was from the PC version but the IQ was almost too good for consoles.

The rendering resolution of 1440p and the cleaner visuals should be enough.

Sanctuary

I must really like this genre or something, because I just ordered a PS4 and another copy of this game. Was going to get a PS4 in Feb anyway, but Jesus Christ. GTX 980 are all right at $700 now or will be in stock sometime after the 16th. Not waiting. So wost case scenario, I paid $63 for a blu-ray and an instruction manual.

Gotta take advantage of that Amazon Prime trial somehow right?

Verger

Banned
Seriously. I don't know why you guys want to torture yourselves with spoilers or possibly ruin the experience. I mean lets face it, something surprising and fresh is a much better experience than playing it knowing already what to expect.

I don't know, I'm not trolling or anything but the first two chapters (watched on youtube) are boring....very boring (imo of course). I think I'll skip this game or wait until it's cheaper. I still have to play Mordor and Alien.

the-evil-within-gif-1.gif

is this from a PC build? that mist is dirty-in a good way-

I don't know, I'm not trolling or anything but the first two chapters (watched on youtube) are boring....very boring (imo of course). I think I'll skip this game or wait until it's cheaper. I still have to play Mordor and Alien.

Simma down. The game is just getting into itself and teaching the player mechanics. ;) but again horror is very subjective, I haven't been bored in the slightest having actually played it and not watching via youtube. Maybe it's not for you though.

Sanctuary

Maybe some day the youngins will understand the difference.

Arklite

Alien is very slow to start as well, but I wouldn't quit either of these for that reason. A good set up is worth it.

Maybe some day the youngins will understand the difference.

Uhm I don't get this complaint. I also watched the first two chapters (or missions) of Alien and Mordor (and I liked both). Reviews are interesting but watching a Let's play just gives me a better first impression of the game.

Sanctuary

Uhm I don't get this complaint. I also watched the first two chapters (or missions) of Alien and Mordor (and I liked both). Reviews are interesting but watching a Let's play just gives me a better first impression of the game.

There's a significant difference between watching and playing when you're also factoring in the genres. Get Alien, get bored and then wonder why you bothered watching it on Youtube when it didn't turn out as expected.
I can't really argue that TEW isn't boring, because I haven't watched or played it myself yet, but I also never sit there and watch any kind of horror game and then go "meh, not scary, looks boring".

DVCY201

You're not wrong. But there certainly is credence to the idea that a game can be a better experience playing it, rather than just viewing it. I haven't watched Chapter 2, but Chapter 1 is boring. Outside of the story cutscenes, it's hide-and-seek and chases, that's all.

Keep in mind that you've only seen about 13%, Mikami knows how to pace his games and it'll continually increase from here.

I understand everyone has a different preference, but I do find that a bit shocking. Even for me playing Alien, the first hour or so was a bit slow, but I knew the build up was the whole point.

You're not wrong. But there certainly is credence to the idea that a game can be a better experience playing it, rather than just viewing it. I haven't watched Chapter 2, but Chapter 1 is boring. Outside of the story cutscenes, it's hide-and-seek and chases, that's all.

Yet it's one part of the game, not the entire game like say Outlast where it's the entire game (also Alien to an extent but def more options) So not really sure why someone would get bored playing something that last no more then 30 minutes and then things change up significantly. I just can't relate I suppose.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Outside of the story cutscenes, it's hide-and-seek and chases, that's all.

How is that worse than Alien? The first hour of the game you basically just walk around until you first meet the Xenomorph. (There is a stealth section, but its really easy to get by)

DVCY201

How is that worse than Alien? The first hour of the game you basically just walk around until you first meet the Xenomorph

I never said it was worse than Alien though. Where are you getting that from? As for your question, a lot actually. He/She could be more easily pulled into the world of Alien than The Evil Within. Some people prefer sci-fi over Lovecraftian horror, or futuristic environmental design over Gothic architecture. It's really not that hard to see guys.

Yet it's one part of the game, not the entire game like say Outlast where it's the entire game (also Alien to an extent but def more options) So not really sure why someone would get bored playing something that last no more then 30 minutes and then things change up significantly. I just can't relate I suppose.

I know. I'm not worried about it. But compare this "one part of the game" with the opening of RE4. Different, yet RE4 is right there from the get-go.

Sanctuary

Thanks, and good point about GMG.

I'm thinking about just letting this thing run at 1080p 30fps and playing with an xbox controller. I just want to play at this point, and not concern myself with performance.

Have a 4gb card?

I never said it was worse than Alien though. Where are you getting that from? As for your question, a lot actually. He/She could be more easily pulled into the world of Alien than The Evil Within. Some people prefer sci-fi over Lovecraftian horror, or futuristic environmental design over Gothic architecture. It's really not that hard to see guys.

Alien and Aliens are two of my all time favorite movies. And I was really looking forward to the game. Many of the impressions of those who have actually spent time with it are quite negative.

I never said it was worse than Alien though. Where are you getting that from? As for your question, a lot actually. He could be more easily pulled into the world of Alien than The Evil Within. Some people prefer sci-fi over Lovecraftian horror, or futuristic environmental design over Gothic architecture. It's really not that hard to see guys.

Makes complete sense in that regard. That's why when someone says something is boring, it's hard to grasp exactly how it relates to their likings unless we know other things that bore them and does little to let folks know why they are even saying that to begin with.

I know. I'm not worried about it. But compare this "one part of the game" with the opening of RE4. Different, yet RE4 is right there from the get-go.

I can get that for sure. I was engrossed for different reason in the opening moments of TEW then RE4. So I suppose mileage will vary. I know if I hadn't see the majorty of footage having come out, I would have been even more into it. People going in blind... have a huge treat I think.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Things like vampires and werewolves existed long before some sci-fi did. There was always a Jack the Ripper or Dracula story, plus antiques are around to show the popularity of such designs.

I think one of the greatest things Aliens did was put you alone in space. You have multiple facets of horror in space because you can't go anywhere. They need to just let the player jump in a suit and make it more like dead space where you're fighting an element in between rooms. I think there's some tunnel vision when it comes to making a good Aliens game.

Seriously. I don't know why you guys want to torture yourselves with spoilers or possibly ruin the experience. I mean lets face it, something surprising and fresh is a much better experience than playing it knowing already what to expect.

Agreed. ESPECIALLY when it comes to horror games. But to each their own...

I understand everyone has a different preference, but I do find that a bit shocking. Even for me playing Alien, the first hour or so was a bit slow, but I knew the build up was the whole point.

I loved the first hour of Alien. Yeah it's slow but it's also thrilling.
The first two chapters of TEW are just
full of gore and blood. It's like a parody of a real horror game/movie. Less tension, more brutality
Sry, It's difficult to describe what I mean :p

Ok Mr. I make a new thread/video every time new info comes out on the game :p.

I know, I know :d BUT I'm talking stuff unreleased footage.

full of gore and blood. It's like a parody of a real horror game/movie. Less tension, more brutality

No I do get that, but remember what Game Informer said. They game has moments of SAW, The Shining, Ju-on, etc. It seems to tap into many themes, so while the opening might be pretty brutal, and such.... and to your disliking, you might not find the rest of the game that way. I can't speak on what Game Informer said, since I'm early on, but I hear variety is the spice of life. :D

DukeBobby

Put time in as in more than a few hours. Most of the people couldn't stop gushing over Shadow of Mordor either...until they neared the end.

I personally think that the game gets better after the first few hours.

The issues regarding the alien AI are completely overblown, in my opinion. However, this is just my experience with the game. Others may differ.

DVCY201

Alien and Aliens are two of my all time favorite movies. And I was really looking forward to the game. Many of the impressions of those who have actually spent time with it are quite negative.

Then I'm sorry to hear that the game hasn't lived up to most people's expectations, but it's not unbelievable that someone may prefer Alien over The Evil Within. I haven't played Alien, I usually try to stay away from that license because it's been filled with mediocrity for a while.

Makes complete sense in that regard. That's why when someone says something is boring, it's hard to grasp exactly how it relates to their likings unless we know other things that bore them and does little to let folks know why they are even saying that to begin with.

Horror has so many different ideas that go into it! I love Fatal Frame. But, a lot of people don't like Japanese style environments evocative of Japanese Mythology with girls running around taking photos, and that's okay! There are people out there who don't like RE, but like SH, or Outlast, Amnesia, etc. Heck, I dislike Outlast (boring gameplay) yet so many people enjoyed it.

What I can appreciate, is how much thought and design goes into horror. It's a hard genre, and I don't envy the people who have to come up with this stuff.

Things like vampires and werewolves existed long before some sci-fi did. There was always a Jack the Ripper or Dracula story, plus antiques are around to show the popularity of such designs.

And? Does this mean we're all obligated to like this kind of horror? Because there are horror concepts that have existed before vampires and werewolves as well.

Guys, I haven't even played Alien jeez. I'm just trying to say, as much as we all love TEW, not everyone is going to be taken with it completely.

Gold_Loot

I know how you feel. I was once looking forward to this game, but the more I see, the less interested I get. I'll be more than happy to eat some crow if I'm wrong , but this just looks like cheese taken to the next level.

I know, I know :d BUT I'm talking stuff unreleased footage.

No I do get that, but remember what Game Informer said. They game has moments of SAW, The Shining, Ju-on, etc. It seems to tap into many themes, so while the opening might be pretty brutal, and such.... and to your disliking, you might not find the rest of the game that way. I can't speak on what Game Informer said, since I'm early on, but I hear variety is the spice of life. :D

hmm...I have to admit that this sounds a bit better. I'm not going to watch any more videos so I'll probably wait for other (user) impressions.

Top Bottom