• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

licker_pumpkin_by_cosmicvirus-d5isc30.png

Hmm

I wonder if they just bought into their own hype and are prisoners of the moment because it's the new game. Those are some pretty bold statements considering the love and praise people hold for RE4. RE4 is a great game. It's easily a 9 in my book. I just don't think I'd put it in my top 5 or even my top 10. Hell, it probably wouldn't make my top 20 or 30.

Possibly, though after the mudslinging back and forth with Destiny on GAF I've come to really despise most approaches to that notion on why people either love or hate a game.

But then again RE4 is probably my personal No.1.

Edit: One of these days I really should play Chrono Trigger. Have a DS copy laying around at my old place somewhere...

The PS3 player beat the game last night, posting fully impressions a bit later today, he posted a lot of screens of the post-game content stuff I will not discuss here because spoilers. And two others.

Nothing in-depth, I wonder if the game has the effect where you want to beat it again once you've completed it.

Have you seen any talk about map fragments?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Have you seen any talk about map fragments?

I have not seen any talk about the map fragments, but I did collect two of them in the demo, and they were the collectible I was confused what it was for. I know it was forming a map of some sort but I didn't know why.

Though you saying that makes me suspect it's linked to some secret in the game or something.

Sanctuary

But then again RE4 is probably my personal No.1.

Is it strange that I consider RE2 my favorite, yet have purchased RE4 three times so far and have finished it twice as much?

Edit: One of these days I really should play Chrono Trigger. Have a DS copy laying around at my old place somewhere...

I could never replay that game. It was absolutely fantastic the first time through though. In 1995.

I have not seen any talk about the map fragments, but I did collect two of them in the demo, and they were the collectible I was confused what it was for. I know it was forming a map of some sort but I didn't know why.

Though you saying that makes me suspect it's linked to some secret in the game or something.

Well there is a ton... according to the area in the save room where they get collected, but what purpose they serve? No idea. I've only found two. LOL. Must be hidden well.

I assume the PS3 version of this is kind of shit?

I'm not planning to buy a PS4 until Bloodborne but not being able to play this game is tearing me apart.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I enjoyed playing through Chrono Trigger for the first time more than losing my virginity.

I remember going to the mall afterwards and playing Tekken Tag with a bunch of guys. One guy reached over and said something about a dog and a fish, but I can't exactly quote what he said.

Dusk Golem

Well there is a ton... according to the area in the save room where they get collected, but what purpose they serve? No idea. I've only found two. LOL. Must be hidden well.

I know, I got the collectible numbers from the demo and wrote them down.

Personal Documents: 16
Documents: 16
Map Fragments: 28
Newspapers: 21
Missing Person Photos: 15
Audio Tapes: 10

There's more map fragments than anything. And they were more well hidden than any of the other collectibles in the demo. I got one of them during my first run, but the other one was stored off in a corner of the mansion I had missed every time until one of my final runs of the demo.

Them being so well hidden and the fact they're the only collectible that doesn't seem to do anything when you pick them up but give you a piece of a map makes me suspicious what it's for.

I know, I got the collectible numbers from the demo and wrote them down.

Personal Documents: 16
Documents: 16
Map Fragments: 28
Newspapers: 21
Missing Person Photos: 15
Audio Tapes: 10

There's more map fragments than anything. And they were more well hidden than any of the other collectibles in the demo. I got one of them during my first run, but the other one was stored off in a corner of the mansion I had missed every time until one of my final runs of the demo.

Them being so well hidden and the fact they're the only collectible that doesn't seem to do anything when you pick them up but give you a piece of a map makes me suspicious what it's for.

All I'm saying is re-playability seems very high with the keys, the maps, the unlockables, and the new game +. Damn.

Dusk Golem

All I'm saying is re-playability seems very high with the keys, the maps, the unlockables, and the new game +. Damn.

Now I'm hoping the map fragments are linked to something, but not going to get ahead of myself, just a thought as I'm with you, I don't know why the map fragments are so well hidden or what they're actually for. You said they're forming a map in the hub area? I didn't notice that, wonder what it's for then.

100% the game will be tricky. If you're a platinum hunter this game will be tricky, requiring multiple playthroughs, including a playthrough of not upgrading anything and a playthrough of upgrading everything fully (New Game+ can help with that), and beating it on the hardest difficulty.

100% the game will be tricky. If you're a platinum hunter this game will be tricky, requiring multiple playthroughs, including a playthrough of not upgrading anything and a playthrough of upgrading everything fully (New Game+ can help with that), and beating it on the hardest difficulty.

Also the speedrun

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
If the ps4 version has even a few drops thats kind of inexcusable. It should be locked at 30 with no dips for being a linear game and the grpahics are great but nothing ground breaking honestly

Sanctuary

If the ps4 version has even a few drops thats kind of inexcusable. It should be locked at 30 with no dips for being a linear game and the grpahics are great but nothing ground breaking honestly

Shadows eat up a hell of a lot of resources.

I agree, but iDTech 5 :(

You mean Japanese developer + Western engine. Capcom almost always (always?) used their own internal engines didn't they?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
The engine is pretty flawed, the best example would be RAGE,
this game ate a huge ton of space, the textures looked still like garbage.
Lol that sucks i get developers get to choose what engines they want to use i assume etc pr provided by the publisher but if a designer knows an engine is hard to code for and is generally an annoyance why use it?

Still no fucking info about the pre-load time on Steam?
God damn it Bethesda.

@Monkey
Because Tango is a part of ZeniMax, so a part of Bethesda, and they are the only company who use the pile of crap engine.

antitrop

Shadows eat up a hell of a lot of resources.

You mean Japanese developer + Western engine. Capcom almost always (always?) used their own internal engines didn't they?
Yeah. I wonder if it will use dynamic resolution scaling to try to stay at steady 30fps?

I doubt it, they probably just disabled that completely. Wolfenstein dropped to as low as 1760x1080 on PS4 and 960x1080 on XB1 to maintain its framerate. Its a useful feature of the engine, I guess. I played Rage and Wolf on PC, so I've never experienced it before.

Lol that sucks i get developers get to choose what engines they want to use i assume etc pr provided by the publisher but if a designer knows an engine is hard to code for and is generally an annoyance why use it?

Doesn't ZeniMax/Bethesda use idtech for the majority of their games now? And tango is a subsidiary of ZeniMax, that could be why.

I'm sure someone here knows the specifics.

Sanctuary

Still no fucking info about the pre-load time on Steam?
God damn it Bethesda.

@Monkey
Because Tango is a part of ZeniMax, so a part of Bethesda, and they are the only company who use the pile of crap engine.

They said the 10th, so unless you're on a super slooooooooow connection, you should still have more than enough time to have it preloaded before it launches even if you can't start downloading for another twelve hours.

They said the 10th, so unless you're on a super slooooooooow connection, you should still have more than enough time to have it preloaded before it launches even if you can't start downloading for another twelve hours.

Well it is good to have a date, but they are fucking slow about the time, that is my problem.
Bethesda seems to be slow anyway regarding the PC version smh.

Kubiubo

I'm so excited that I got my shift covered at work so I could be at home all day to play. I have a problem.

and by problem I mean priorities. Four more days!

E the Shaggy

I'm so excited that I got my shift covered at work so I could be at home all day to play. I have a problem.

and by problem I mean priorities. Four more days!

I get a three day weekend myself. Anyone know when the PS3 digital drops?

I was thinking of just picking up the physical copy on Tuesday, but screw it.

Top Bottom