• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
"Survival horror" is like a catch all term that also says jack shit. How bout this

"A horror-themed third person shooter with stealth and survival (resource conservation) elements".

Honestly, this is how I would describe The Evil Within to someone. Bit wordy but I feel it's pretty specific and accurate.

Sounds like some made up capcom genre.

Sanctuary

I took quick glances at one of the earlier trailers, but I've since then not looked at any extra footage. The only thing I remember about the game are from the demo videos (which aren't that revealing), the screenshots and the tentacle/stretchy/blobby thing chasing Sebatian down the hall.

If the trailers are that good, then they will entirely ruin experiencing those scenarios in game for the first time.

Fuck that.

JayEH

TLOU has some really good horror moments through out. The part where you need to explore the basement of the apartment complex was terrifying.

If you have even a passing interest in horror games, you really should play Alien.

After reading reviews I decided to watch the walkthroughs on youtube and while the beginning of the game had me hooked, the last half looked totally frustrating and kinda lame. The ending especially was awful. I love Alien but the characters and story in Isolation just weren't interesting in the least. The gameplay looks pretty route as well. I'll definitely give it a shot though when it drops in price.

There's only 2 kinds of horror, brehs.

1. "Badass Horror": You can shoot stuff in the face

2. "Ooh look at me I'm scared, I'm running, ooohh so scary Horror": You don't shoot stuff in the face

That's how I group em, then I throw the second group into the closet garbage truck.

2. "Ooh look at me I'm scared, I'm running, ooohh so scary Horror": You don't shoot stuff in the face

That's how I group em, then I throw the second group into the closet garbage truck.

what if it's not quite one

but it's not quite the other, either

Sanctuary

TLOU has some really good horror moments through out. The part where you need to explore the basement of the apartment complex was terrifying.

I didn't find it terrifying, but it was one of the best parts of the game for atmosphere. Way to front-load ND, way to front-load.

If the Mikami, who pretty much founded/perfected the genre says it is survival horror (even admitting RE4 may have gone a bit too far towards action), than that's what it is. Don't need fixed camera angles, tank controls, and secret bromances for a game to be survival horror.

He never actually called the genre "Survival Horror", that's what everyone else called it. When asked what he thought made a game truly SV he just started talking about "overcoming fear" and "gameplay". That's about the vaguest description you could possibly get, and would apply to literally every single game with a horror element.

The classic, user defined version of SV is: you're alone, or at least you don't have help from your AI "buddy", the ammo is scarce and it has a mostly fixed perspective. Not sure how much the tank controls really matter. Some seem to think it was an intentional design choice, but I've always felt it was just a limitation of the fixed camera angles, and since it seemed to add more "tension" (FUUUCK THESE CONTROLS, I'M GONNA DIE!) in the first and second game, they just kept it for the RE franchise until RE4.

It's Mikami. Odds point to high.

You'd think but I haven't enjoyed one of his games since Resi 4. Vanquish was alright but I didn't vibe on Shadow of the Damned even though I respected it and God Hand wasn't very good either imo. I'm cautiously optimistic but also wouldn't be surprised if it just turns out to be average. I'm just being honest.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Honestly i dont expect this to be scary at all really. I never do. This isnt trying to be Amneisa or Outlast or something. What i do expect is a lot of atmosphere with horror elements. You do that correctly and its all good. And it's like Shinji said, you have to find the right balance of scary and fun. Completely scary games arent addicting to play.

I think I'm with you after Aliens. Those kinds of pseudo-stealth, hide-in-a-closet-simulator games always end up being more frustrating than scary.

I honestly prefer a game that's just a good mix of jump scares, atmosphere, and action.

Sanctuary

You'd think but I haven't enjoyed one of his games since Resi 4. Vanquish was alright but I didn't vibe on Shadow of the Damned even though I respected it and God Hand wasn't very good either imo. I'm cautiously optimistic but also wouldn't be surprised if it just turns out to be average. I'm just being honest.

He didn't direct Shadows of the Damned. He helped with the project, but he didn't direct it.

You obviously never played the first Dead Space. I mean, you could shoot stuff in the face, but it was mostly pointless. Running was pretty pointless too. Totally agree with you though about throwing your second description into the garbage. I find those games more unbelievably annoying than anything. Outlast was cool for the first hour, but after that the only reason to play was for the atmosphere.

Never been scared of any RE game, and the only game to have that accomplishment thus far has been P.T. As you said, it's the balance of the horror elements, atmosphere, and gameplay that sells it.

I haven't been scared by any game, but I've had plenty moments of dread, or those "oh shit!" joy buzzer moments (which I love). I just don't get the P.T. hype in regards to it being "scary", but I've been watching horror movies since age 10, so YMMV.

I didn't find it terrifying, but it was one of the best parts of the game for atmosphere. Way to front-load ND, way to front-load.

He never actually called the genre "Survival Horror", that's what everyone else called it. When asked what he thought made a game truly SV he just started talking about "overcoming fear" and "gameplay". That's about the vaguest description you could possibly get, and would apply to literally every single game with a horror element.

The classic, user defined version of SV is: you're alone, or at least you don't have help from your AI "buddy", the ammo is scarce and it has a mostly fixed perspective. Not sure how much the tank controls really matter. Some seem to think it was an intentional design choice, but I've always felt it was just a limitation of the fixed camera angles, and since it seemed to add more "fear" in the first and second game, they just kept it for the RE franchise until RE5.

I know he didn't name it, but the genre is synonymous with his name and everything about this game has been Mikami bringing back what he believes is Survival Horror.

And you'd be surprised at how many people seem to have some little checklist where a game in a genre has to strictly adhere to it. If something is altered or missing, the game is utter shit and can't be a part of that genre. I never had a problem and, with fixed camera, have even preferred them. But if they happen to be absent I'm not going to altogether dismiss it and try to 'declassify' it.

Honestly i dont expect this to be scary at all really. I never do. This isnt trying to be Amneisa or Outlast or something. What i do expect is a lot of atmosphere with horror elements. You do that correctly and its all good. And it's like Shinji said, you have to find the right balance of scary and fun. Completely scary games arent addicting to play.

Never been scared of any RE game, and the only game to have that accomplishment thus far has been P.T. As you said, it's the balance of the horror elements, atmosphere, and gameplay that sells it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So what are the guesses so far as to what the critical reception is going to be for this? After passing on Alien Isolation I could really use a good survival Horror game but I'm still not sure if this one's gonna cut the mustard. I'm crossing my fingers and toes.

Years ago the only survival horror games were from Mikami's team and Konami's. It's branched out quite a bit and you're guessing at a way to understand it better. Without looking for multiple facets of survival horror, this is a complete package by a person who knows how to do the genre right.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You obviously never played the first Dead Space. I mean, you could shoot stuff in the face, but it was mostly pointless.

I really like the first Dead Space, but I'm fairly sure it literally had rooms that didn't open unless you killed all the enemies. And it made you do this fairly often, right? It was a shooter, albeit one with a fantastical, creepy vibe.

Only a handful of games have ever truly scared me and they are as follows in descending order from most scariest to least :

1) Dead Space- Scariest game ever, never felt anything quite like it besides the Silent Hills
2) Silent Hill 2
3) Silent Hill
4) Amnesia
5) Condemned

Only a handful of games have ever truly scared me and they are as follows in descending order from most scariest to least :

1) Dead Space- Scariest game ever, never felt anything quite like it besides the Silent Hills
2) Silent Hill 2
3) Silent Hill
4) Amnesia
5) Condemned

I'm the total opposite lol. I'm jumpy as fuck when it comes to horror and Dead Space only got to me in the first two hours or so. After that, everything was so predicable that I was pretty cool with it.. Fantastic game, though.

what if it's not quite one

but it's not quite the other, either

Sounds confusing. That would be, dare I say, an experience we'd just have to try for ourselves.

You obviously never played the first Dead Space. I mean, you could shoot stuff in the face, but it was mostly pointless.

Dead Space was more Amputation Fetish Action-Stomp Horror. It's such a rare sub-sub-sub genre that I didn't bother listing it.

It's cool, but it's not shooting monsters in the face, you know?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I really like the first Dead Space, but I'm fairly sure it literally had rooms that didn't open unless you killed all the enemies. And it made you do this fairly often, right? It was a shooter, albeit one with a fantastical, creepy vibe.

You got to shoot their limbs off and cripple them to the point of death. It made sense because you could kill them faster. You could completely tear a leg off, have barely any ammo left, and still make it out alive. He wasn't a soldier. He was a maintenance man. Isaac Clarke's weapons were defined by his own role. He was a janitor sent out on a distress call and he so happens to run across a plasma cutter. It made less sense when he was in DS3 because you had grown with him as this man with little knowledge except a couple few handy weapons he found.

The best parts in dead space were getting head shots with a plasma cutter or the line cutter. You could saw heads or legs off with that thing with one blast. I think the main thing was if it was a critical hit. You aren't going to cut an enemies head off unless it's a critical shot or the weapon is powerful. That's some basic knowledge in survival horror games right there.

Steel

Banned
You obviously never played the first Dead Space. I mean, you could shoot stuff in the face, but it was mostly pointless. Running was pretty pointless too.

That's not quite right. You can take out the enemies in the room Dead Space 1, and often times had to, however the rarity of ammo and how many hits the enemies took made it so you never felt like you had the upper hand.

Sanctuary

The first Resident Evil was also a "shooter", unless you tried to kill everything with the knife. You just had less ammo.

That's not quite right. You can take out the enemies in the room Dead Space 1, and often times had to, however the rarity of ammo and how many hits the enemies took made it so you never felt like you had the upper hand.

You guys aren't reading what I said. I never said it didn't revolve around having to kill enemies. I'm also not really sure what you're talking about in regards to ever feeling safe or not. I never discussed that. I was just replying to what I quoted, taking his meaning to be literal, not as "shoot in the face" to mean "have to kill" in any way possible.

And for the record, I never felt like ammo was a problem in the first Dead Space. I already knew how to make each shot count from previous games, and it can be finished with just the Plasma Cutter. Hell, most of the weapons were a waste anyway aside from the PC and the occasional Line Gun. In the second game it was Ripper all day, every day.

2) Silent Hill 2
3) Silent Hill
4) Amnesia
5) Condemned

Wow. Goes to show you how varied the perception of horror is. I personally never considered Dead Space as remotely scary. Thrilling is the extent. SH1 & 2 on the other hand made me stop at times.

I'm the total opposite lol. I'm jumpy as fuck when it comes to horror and Dead Space only got to me in the first two hours or so. After that, everything was so predicable that I was pretty cool with it.. Fantastic game, though.

Yea, I'm the complete opposite from you in what I look for in horror games. I don't ever really jump and even if I do I don't get scared, just startled. What scares me is before the jump, the atmosphere and feeling of isolation. What gets to me is that skin-crawly/goose-bumpy feeling you get right before something crazy happens. It's the silence that gets to me. Same with horror movies, which is why I'm more freaked out by The Shining, Session 9, The Mothman Prophecies, Emily Rose and the first Halloween rather than Scream, Freddy, Jason, Chucky and the Halloween sequels.

A good example of what I'm talking about can be found in the the first Paranormal Activity movie. It's not the crazy jump scares that get me but the build-up to them when the camera is just panning back-and-forth and I'm just sitting their shitting myself, wondering what kind of fucked up thing MIGHT happen. It's because what's in your mind is always going to be scarier than what actually ends up happening on screen. That's just me though, I'm just more of a psychological horror guy. In general I think most people are like you.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wow. Goes to show you how varied the perception of horror is. I personally never considered Dead Space as remotely scary. Thrilling is the extent. SH1 & 2 on the other hand made me stop at times.

It was 2008 and I was working at a restaurant. Some nights were brutal. Dead Space released at such a perfect time for me at least. It had some pretty good lasting appeal, plus the art was done by the same team behind the Matrix, right? Was that correct? I can't recall any information, but I thought it was.

16.jpg

The opening was original at the time. You could of expected this romantic emergency, but you never realized how well it could of been presented to you.

-MD-

2) Silent Hill 2
3) Silent Hill
4) Amnesia
5) Condemned

Have you played REmake?

I don't know, maybe on a replay it wouldn't be as scary but the first time I played that game with headphones and the lights off I was absolutely terrified. It definitely isn't as creepy as the Silent Hills but it was the best sci-fi/action/horror experience(which is my favorite movie genre) since Alien and The Thing. And I was PLAYING it. It just has a special place in my heart because I love that genre and as Alien Isolation proves, its a genre that's very hard to get right.

I thought dead space 1 & 2 were scary as hell. I'm a total jump scare pussy, though heh. The absolute worst game ever to me was condemned. Just hearing things rustle around then someone attacking out of the blue was enough to fry my nerves

Jump scares should be disqualified. You can run up on someone in the street and get them with a jump scare. Doesn't make it good horror.

Yes I'm mad because jump scares work on me. They're cheap.

Have you played REmake?

No I haven't and it's been so long since I played Resi 1, 2,and 3 I honestly can't remember what my true feelings on them would be today. I was really young at the time though and didn't appreciate them like I should've. I just remember them being too hard for me. I would just watch my friend play and it was always during the day so I never felt scared. I played 30 minutes of CV on dreamcast and then forgot all about it. I'll go back and replay them all the day Capcom releases the TRUE remastered collection of all the Resi games. Hopefully that day comes sooner rather then later.

Sanctuary

I don't know, maybe on a replay it wouldn't be as scary but the first time I played that game with headphones and the lights off I was absolutely terrified.

To me, aside from the obvious lighting and shadows, sound is probably the most important aspect in these types of games. Not just for a window crashing, or some random wailing or moaning off to the side, but for the protagonist as well. Silent Hill gets so much praise for the atmosphere, but I've always just found it to be more of a "how trippy and fucked up can we get here?" vibe than truly horrifying. The Resident Evil games always had some of the best audio cues in not just sound effects but "creepy music" as well.

That is, until the first Dead Space; which I wish I could experience again for the first time with my vastly improved audio setup.

It definitely isn't as creepy as the Silent Hills but it was the best sci-fi/action/horror experience(which is my favorite movie genre) since Alien and The Thing. And I was PLAYING it. It just has a special place in my heart because I love that genre and as Alien Isolation proves, its a genre that's very hard to get right.

Dead Space always seemed like Alien: Event Horizon to me.

It was 2008 and I was working at a restaurant. Some nights were brutal. Dead Space released at such a perfect time for me at least. It had some pretty good lasting appeal, plus the art was done by the same team behind the Matrix, right? Was that correct? I can't recall any information, but I thought it was.

16.jpg

The opening was original at the time. You could of expected this romantic emergency, but you never realized how well it could of been presented to you.

I have no idea what the hell you just said man, but you reached out, and you touched a brother's heart.

Yeah I'm putting you on mental ignore, your opinions are too terrible to ever exist in my version of neogaf. Play it again you're categorically wrong.

Riposte

"Survival horror" is like a catch all term that also says jack shit. How bout this

"A horror-themed third-person shooter with elements of stealth and survival (resource conservation)"

Honestly, this is how I would describe The Evil Within to someone. Bit wordy but I feel it's pretty specific and accurate.

This is correct.

It's only wordy if you want to include all the details. It's first and foremost a third person shooter. Then it's either horror-themed (or psychological horror-themed) or contains elements of stealth and survival depending on whether you want to talk about aesthetic themes or mechanic themes, then both if you want to talk about both.

This is correct.

It's only wordy if you want to include all the details. It's first and foremost a third person shooter. Then it's either horror-themed (or psychological horror-themed) or contains elements of stealth and survival depending on whether you want to talk about aesthetic themes or mechanic themes, then both if you want to talk about both.
It's survival horror, and you are whatever your parents named you unless you get it legally changed.

To me, aside from the obvious lighting and shadows, sound is probably the most important aspect in these types of games. Not just for a window crashing, or some random wailing or moaning off to the side, but for the protagonist as well. Silent Hill gets so much praise for the atmosphere, but I've always just found it to be more of a "how trippy and fucked up can we get here?" vibe than truly horrifying. The Resident Evil games always had some of the best audio cues in not just sound effects but "creepy music" as well.

That is, until the first Dead Space; which I wish I could experience again for the first time with my vastly improved audio setup.

Dead Space always seemed like Alien: Event Horizon to me.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Event Horizon is definitely an influence as well as Alien and The Thing. The problem is Event Horizon is pretty bad if you watch it now. As a kid it scared the piss out of me though. The idea of something going so deep into space that it goes to hell and brings something back with it is still super-creepy though. I just wish the movie wasn't so corny. That's a movie that could use a remake. Though I guess you could say Sunshine is very similar.

Sanctuary

It's survival horror, and you are whatever your parents named you unless you get it legally changed.

Mikami can't even decide on what makes a game "Survival Horror". Oh, Mikami called a duck a rabbit, therefore you cannot argue that it's not a rabbit!
Is everything just black or white in your world of opinions?

TBH, I don't even care what a game is called as long as I'm enjoying it.

Yea, Event Horizon is definitely an influence as well as Alien and The Thing. The problem is Event Horizon is pretty bad if you watch it now. As a kid it scared the piss out of me though. The idea of something going so deep into space that it goes to hell and brings something back with it is still super-creepy though. I just wish the movie wasn't so corny. That's a movie that could use a remake. Though I guess you could say Sunshine is very similar.

I saw it in the theater, watched it a few years later, then just recently watched it again in 2012. Depsite its glaring flaws, it's still the only Paul W.S. Anderson movie I enjoy. Mortal Kombat was "cool" when I was a kid and playing it at the arcade, but it's a truly terrible movie. I also happen to still enjoy Pandorum, which he produced and had a lot of elements that were similar to Event Horizon. Biggest draw of that movie for me though was Ben Foster.

Yeah I'm putting you on mental ignore, your opinions are too terrible to ever exist in my version of neogaf. Play it again you're categorically wrong.

By replying you're not exactly mentally ignoring me bud. And your opinion is definitely in the minority when it comes to that game, which is generally considered to be his weakest game. You can't be categorically wrong about a fact.

Riposte

Mikami did not make the first horror game. He did not even make the first horror game with prerendered backgrounds and a locked camera angle of a 3D environment.

By replying you're not exactly mentally ignoring me bud. And your opinion is definitely in the minority when it comes to that game, which is generally considered to be his weakest game. You can't be categorically wrong about a fact.

P.N.03 is considered his weakest game. By far. God Hand's a cult classic.

Sanctuary

Mikami did not make the first horror game. He did not even make the first horror game with prerendered backgrounds and a locked camera angle of a 3D environment.

Not even sure what the first game like that was, but the first that had a following (that I know of) was the Alone in the Dark series. A series that greatly influenced the design of Resident Evil, despite Capcom having already made Sweet Home. I actually had the first two Alone in the Dark games, and I had a friend that was thoroughly enamored with them. When RE hit, we felt like we were coming home again, except to one that had a whole lot of improvements and additions.

So if someone wants to argue that Mikami created this genre, he didn't. He simply made it a whole lot better.

Jump scares should be disqualified. You can run up on someone in the street and get them with a jump scare. Doesn't make it good horror.

Yes I'm mad because jump scares work on me. They're cheap.

When they're done well they can be anything but cheap. Part of the reason why Dead Space is so effective is because it built tension around the player expecting something to jump out of the shadows at all time. When a jump scare finally happens, it's a cathartic release of all the dread the player experienced and a great segue to action.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The original Alone in the Dark is probably a head of its time, followed by a new nightmare, but the 360 version was disappointing. I don't know what happened. The original reveal was promising, but it was mostly CGI. I bought a copy the day of and looking back it was awful.
From the building escapes to the combat. They failed with that game IMO.

God Hand takes some practice. You have to like inputs and dodging a lot. I'd say it lacks some polish, but it's a fairly amusing game. I've put it down a couple of times because it doesn't go past itself to be any better. You can't justify a certain amount of depth when a game has to deliver constantly and consistency. Meaning the break away from gameplay like the casino and what you had to do next was completely broken.

If we are talking Mikami. We should realize that his form of survival horror wasn't just going to show up one day. RE4 proves that too. There aren't too many developers who knew that method of developing a game to the point where it captivated an entire generation of gamers and a general acceptance over time.

Top Bottom