• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

The new gameplay video from today got me even more excited.

I will likely pick it up if we don't get a review copy. We're on the wait list.

antitrop

The new gameplay video from today got me even more excited.

I will likely pick it up if we don't get a review copy. We're on the wait list.

The narration trailers that detail out how to play the game almost make it seem like Bethesda is afraid people won't know how to play a survival horror game.

One of them straight up gives you a boss strategy. :p

-MD-

I'm ready, GAF. Preloading now.

I'll have to grab the Season Pass later at a sales discount.

Get a russian copy while you can, it's like 12 bucks.

The narration trailers that detail out how to play the game almost make it seem like Bethesda is afraid people won't know how to play a survival horror game.

That's exactly what it sounds like and I don't blame them for doing it. I expect to see LOTS of people trying to play this game like it's the Tomb Raider reboot or some shit and running to the forums to complain about it.

I didn't know what to think about it at E3, because it was so tough to properly demo. It was in a black room with monitors, and I played for a bit, but we just jumped into a part of the game.

It's not a game you can pick up quickly, because it's a bit different. I look forward to playing it properly, from the start.

hold on to your hats folks, the scariest impressions of this game via someone from the official forums.

Boxman_red:
saw a game-play in youtube where you are in some strange place and
there a wall that scream and blood comes out and it make a door that was scary

if this doesn't shiver your timbers, nothing will. probably the most adorable impressions i've ever heard next to " doesn't afraid of anything"

antitrop

That's exactly what it sounds like and I don't blame them for doing it. I expect to see LOTS of people trying to play this game like it's the Tomb Raider reboot or some shit and running to the forums to complain about it.

I'm no expert at survival horror games, but if I can get through The Last of Us on Hard w/ Listen Mode off, then I think I can get through The Evil Within just fine.

Hell, when I finished RE4, I had enough of an arsenal in that little attache case to carry on a small war after I took Ashley back to the President. Took Saddler out with a rocket launcher, easy game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Post headphones.

IMG_0510.jpg

I use the G35s (on the right) on my PS4. They sound terrific
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O5CCQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The Audiophiles (on the left) are mainly for the PC. - I don't always get too loud of a sound, but they were a $200 set at one time. Right now they're pretty loud. I might not know much about messing with audio options.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMS0XU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Audiophiles don't give off great bass. I used the G35s with Destiny and they were pretty good. I don't think that's much of a comparison to a survival horror game, but my guess is that the G35s will sound great with TEW. The G35s also sounded great with Tomb Raider, highlighting explosions and certain background noises.

Lerozz

I don't know how they manage to 1UP themselves with every new trailer released (and there are plenty). Just watched the "World Within" one ... superb.

This game.

-MD-

I'm no expert at survival horror games, but if I can get through The Last of Us on Hard w/ Listen Mode off, then I think I can get through The Evil Within just fine.

Hell, when I finished RE4, I had enough of an arsenal in that little attache case to carry on a small war after I took Ashley back to the President. Took Saddler out with a rocket launcher, easy game.

The amount of ammo that RE4 throws at you is insane, that's why I think people wanting TEW to be RE4-2 are going to be disappointed. You're gonna be picking up a bullet or two of pistol ammo rather than 50 TMP rounds.

And TLOU on hard w/listen mode off was an incredible experience, that's how I went into that game and I'm glad I did. I'm not saying it was a particularly hard game but if you managed that then yeah you'll probably be fine here. I'm hoping TEW on hard is more challenging/resource restricted than TLOU on hard though.

Would be nice to hear some impressions of hard/akumu mode from someone that finished the game already.

Grief.exe

IMG_0510.jpg

I use the G35s (on the right) on my PS4. They sound terrific
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O5CCQK/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The Audiophiles (on the left) are mainly for the PC. - I don't always get too loud of a sound, but they were a $200 set at one time. Right now they're pretty loud. I might not know much about messing with audio options.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMS0XU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Audiophiles don't give off great bass. I used the G35s with Destiny and they were pretty good. I don't think that's much of a comparison to a survival horror game, but my guess is that the G35s will sound great with TEW. The G35s also sounded great with Tomb Raider, highlighting explosions and certain background noises.

I've since upgraded, but I have AD700s too! They used to be the best headphone you could buy for the price, they sat around the $75-$100 range and blew everything else away.
Now Audio Technica recognizes them as a cult hit and released a more expensive version.

The amount of ammo that RE4 throws at you is insane, that's why I think people wanting TEW to be RE4-2 are going to be disappointed. You're gonna be picking up a bullet or two of pistol ammo rather than 50 TMP rounds.

And TLOU on hard w/listen mode off was an incredible experience, that's how I went into that game and I'm glad I did. I'm not saying it was a particularly hard game but if you managed that then yeah you'll probably be fine here. I'm hoping TEW on hard is more challenging/resource restricted than TLOU on hard though.

Would be nice to hear some impressions of hard/akumu mode from someone that finished the game already.

Especially when I just shoot the guy in the leg with one bullet, kick, then knife to death. I amassed so much ammo at the end I was starting to throw away full stacks.

Ateron

I hope this game has something like the Handcannon for repeat playthroughs.

That gun is so fun.

From the videos I've seen the revolver is pretty much a handcannon. Blowing off a portion of an enemy's head is a lot more satisfying than just send the enemy flying backwards..This game has amazing visual feedback for the guns, something thay very rarely I see done right. Last of Us, Kz2, Max Payne 3 and RE4 were also amazing in that regard. Just hope the controls are tight and responsive, especially if ammo is scarce.

From the videos I've seen the revolver is pretty much a handcannon. Blowing off a portion of an enemy's head is a lot more satisfying than just send the enemy flying backwards..This game has amazing visual feedback for the guns, something thay very rarely I see done right. Last of Us, Kz2, Max Payne 3 and RE4 were also amazing in that regard. Just hope the controls are tight and responsive, especially if ammo is scarce.

I look forward to infinite ammo console commands after beating this game through for when I just feel like blowing people apart.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

After seeing how a lot of youtube personalities and streamers handled Alien Isolation, I do not even blame them. LOL.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just finished Alien and, yeah, I can't recommend it highly enough to everyone in this thread.

I can't wait to jump into The Evil Within this week. Such a fantastic time to be a fan of horror games. I can't believe millions are being spent on this sort of game again.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This game has its work cut out for it if wants to feel half as tense as Alien: Isolation.

The goddamn atmosphere is dripping with tension and dread.

Hmmm... I think it will do just fine. The guy running at you with half his face blown off literally takes you to a whole other level, but that might just be me. I'll bring this up again. Dead Space has monsters trying to tear you limb from limb with a single limb intact. We shall see if that is your claim. I'm saving all my atmosphere for TEW. Aliens might be put on hold at the moment, but we shall see.

DukeBobby

So, I just finished Alien and, yeah, I can't recommend it highly enough to everyone in this thread.

I can't wait to jump into The Evil Within this week. Such a fantastic time to be a fan of horror games. I can't believe millions are being spent on this sort of game again.

Yeah, Alien has really surprised me. It was kind of a blind purchase, and I went in with fairly low expectations, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Definitely not the Amnesia/Outlast clone that people said it was going to be.

I expect this game to outdo it, though. I'm going in with incredibly high expectations. Hopefully, it doesn't disappoint.

Sanctuary

So, yeah when are the rev...

*mauled by a pack of angry dingos*

soon7.jpg

Pre-load complete. Now just another four days of anxiety.

Post headphones.

Sadly, I do not have a functioning camera on my phone, so...

(pads replaced with lambskin. Better isolation, even more comfortable and slightly improved bass) Can be run with ease on a Xonar Essence STX even at 600 ohms.

Just recently purchased a few months ago...

Probably the best headphones I have ever heard. Not quite as comfortable as the Beyers due to the heavy cabling, but not uncomfortable. Pads are just as good as the replacement pads I have on the other set. Does NOT run very well at all with just the Xonar. They actually make most things sound much worse than a pair of headphones at less than half the cost. I was never one to put much stock into the *expensive* headphone amp craze that a lot of people try to sell you on, but I have used cheaper amps for a slight improvement. Well, I didn't spend $500 on a headphone amp, but the one I purchased turned these headphones into something extraordinary. They are entirely neutral sounding. They don't color anything with a funky sound signature; they are totally clinical/studio, but they have more than enough bass when it's required. For a closed pair of headphones they also have pretty stellar seperation. These are my "go to" headphones for blu-rays or any other video with DTS. They obviously are not a $2000+ home theater setup, but for the cost and space, it's pretty damn close.

For console use, I quickly moved away from the all in one cans like what is found from Tritton (yuck) and Turtle Beach (yuck). Even the Sennheiser headset is only slightly better.

Not as good as using either of the headphones above paired with the STX, but it's still way better than most other solutions. It's basically a much improved version of the Astro and it also decodes more audio formats. The headphones that come with it are surprisingly good sounding (for the cost) and have a pretty flat balance. Not too much treble, but not head exploding, sub-in-your-head bass either. These also have a headphone out jack so that you can plug in whatever external pair you want, and you can have both headphones running simultaneously. Whenever I am forced to play on a console, I just use the (not spectacular) headphone jack connected to my headphone amp. Haven't tried any of the more modern updates on this yet, like Sony's HDMI 7.1 setup so no idea if it's any better. That picture is strange too. It makes the decoder look much smaller than it actually is.

Gonna pay mine off tomorrow! Kind of funny, was watching one of the trailers for it with my brother, he usually doesn't like horror games, but said he wanted to play this.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Pre-load complete. Now just another four days of anxiety.

Sadly, I do not have a functioning camera on my phone, so...

(pads replaced with lambskin. Better isolation, even more comfortable and slightly improved bass) Can be run with ease on a Xonar Essence STX even at 600 ohms.

Just recently purchased a few months ago...

Probably the best headphones I have ever heard. Not quite as comfortable as the Beyers due to the heavy cabling, but not uncomfortable. Pads are just as good as the replacement pads I have on the other set. Does NOT run very well at all with just the Xonar. They actually make most things sound much worse than a pair of headphones at less than half the cost. I was never one to put much stock into the headphone *expensive* amp craze that a lot of people try to sell you on, but I have used cheaper amps for a slight improvement. Well, I didn't spend $500 on a headphone amp, but the one I purchased turned these headphones into something extraordinary.

For console use, I quickly moved away from the all in one cans like what is found from Tritton (yuck) and Turtle Beach (yuck). Even the Sennheiser headset is only slightly better.

Not as good as using either of the headphones above paired with the STX, but it's still way better than most other solutions. It's basically a much improved version of the Astro and it also decodes more audio formats. The headphones that come with it are surprisingly good sounding (for the cost) and have a pretty flat balance. Not too much treble, but not head exploding, sub-in-your-head bass either. These also have a headphone out jack so that you can plug in whatever external pair you want, and you can have both headphones running simultaneously. Whenever I am forced to play on a console, I just use the (not spectacular) headphone jack connected to my headphone amp. Haven't tried any of the more modern updates on this yet, like Sony's HDMI 7.1 setup so no idea if it's any better.

Actual lambskin?
flat550x550075f.jpg

Nice sets by the way.

I'm disappointed to hear its similar to RE 4. I was under the impression this would be a traditional survival horror game.

Lucky for you, no one actually knows what a "traditional survival horror game" actually means besides "uh low ammo and monsters right?", so it may just be one!

also see: "What is a RPG"

I'm disappointed to hear its similar to RE 4. I was under the impression this would be a traditional survival horror game.

Gameplay basically looks like RE4 with the addition of stealth, melee weapons, and frequent trap opportunities. The amount of supplies on normal sounds similar to The Last of Us on normal/hard.

I mean, it's hard enough to describe that we'll probably just have to experience it for ourselves. But yeah.

Hey, you know what it means!

You'd think that, but you also have some purists swear up and down The Last of Us isn't survival horror, despite its low ammo and monsters because "reasons". Or basically anything that isn't RE1-3/Silent Hill because "reasons".

-MD-

You'd think that, but you also have some purists swear up and down The Last of Us isn't survival horror, despite its low ammo and monsters because "reasons". Or basically anything that isn't RE1-3/Silent Hill because "reasons".

I never once felt like TLOU was a horror game when I played through it. It was about as much of a horror game as Alan Wake.

But the way TLOU was designed it was the closest thing we've gotten in years to a real one.

So what are the guesses so far as to what the critical reception is going to be for this? After passing on Alien Isolation I could really use a good survival Horror game but I'm still not sure if this one's gonna cut the mustard. I'm crossing my fingers and toes.

Lucky for you, no one actually knows what a "traditional survival horror game" actually means besides "uh low ammo and monsters right?", so it may just be one!

also see: "What is a RPG"

If the Mikami, who pretty much founded/perfected the genre says it is survival horror (even admitting RE4 may have gone a bit too far towards action), than that's what it is. Don't need fixed camera angles, tank controls, and secret bromances for a game to be survival horror.

^I think outlets like Giant Bomb and The Escapist will be pretty favorable of it, and fairly certain even Game Informer will throw it a bone. Only outlet I'm really concerned about due to how big it is is of course IGN. Can also see Gamespot taking a huge dump on it, maybe even getting the same guy who did ZombiU...

Edit: Don't pass on Alien, though forewarning the PS4 cutscene framerate issue is headache inducing.

So what are the guesses so far as to what the critical reception is going to be for this? After passing on Alien Isolation I could really use a good survival Horror game but I'm still not sure if this one's gonna cut the mustard. I'm crossing my fingers and toes.

It's Mikami. Odds point to high.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

If you have even a passing interest in horror games, you really should play Alien.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I never once felt like TLOU was a horror game when I played through it. It was about as much of a horror game as Alan Wake.

But the way TLOU was designed it was the closest thing we've gotten in years to a real one.

the most horrifying thing in alan wake was that live action "prequel" short they produced for it. that thing was awesome. too bad the actual game didn't give that same vibe.

"Survival horror" is like a catch all term that also says jack shit. How bout this

"A horror-themed third-person shooter with elements of stealth and survival (resource conservation)"

Honestly, this is how I would describe The Evil Within to someone. Bit wordy but I feel it's pretty specific and accurate.

Top Bottom