• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

SkylineRKR

Resident evil 1.5 would have been better than resident evil 2.

Pure speculation that a scrapped project, seen by most people involved as inferior, would best a game thats widely regarded as one of the best games ever made.

It wouldn't be. Mikami, Kamiya etc aren't stupid.

Man, everybody streaming gets stuck at the same part - and it's one of the most boring action sequences i have ever seen in a video game. I am just hoping that these streams aren't indicative of the game as whole.

Also, why does this game look so bad visually? Isn't it running on the RAGE engine?
What part?

PIRL0

Neo Member
Updated impressions after 4 hours and 4 chapters..

for me.. the game really starts in chapter 3... the first 2 chapters are very slow paced i had some doubts about the combat and overall feel of the game... but in chapter 3 you start facing enemies in large numbers that's when you feel the game is challenging and fun it really absorbs you... the game is not easy even on medium.. resources are limited and you have to be extremely patient with how you deal with large numbers of enemies or you will not live for long and will not have any ammo and health left.. plus the game encourages exploration and has multiple paths so you can replay levels different ways...my only main complain is the AI needs some tweaking specially when facing a single enemy... luring them is extremely easy and needs some tweaking to match how the overall combat feels in the game which is tense and absorbing...

ill change my meta prediction to something between 85 and 90......

for me its a must have game for horror fans.. and it offers something new compared to silent hill or resident evil... IMO.. Mikami delivered

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Resident evil 1.5 would have been better than resident evil 2.

You do realize it was canceled for a reason and a new 'better' version was created to replace it right ?

Apparently I heard some impressions over the local PS4 group that the game isn't so scary.

Are people really expecting this to be like PT ? It's a shooter, you're doing head shots ..

Is this right? Hope not for x1 players. I wonder if it's the same on PC/PS4.

Yup. I still didn't play the game lol. I don't have a great connection so, I'll just have to wait. Once it reached 12% it told me "ready to play" but I ain't falling for that. I'll just wait for everything to finish 100%.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Updated impressions after 4 hours and 4 chapters..

for me.. the game really starts in chapter 3... the first 2 chapters are very slow paced i had some doubts about the combat and overall feel of the game... but in chapter 3 you start facing enemies in large numbers that's when you feel the game is challenging and fun it really absorbs you... the game is not easy even on medium.. resources are limited and you have to be extremely patient with how you deal with large numbers of enemies or you will not live for long and will not have any ammo and health left.. plus the game encourages exploration and has multiple paths so you can replay levels different ways...my only main complain is the AI needs some tweaking specially when facing a single enemy... luring them is extremely easy and needs some tweaking to match how the overall combat feels in the game which is tense and absorbing...

ill change my meta prediction to something between 85 and 90......

for me its a must have game for horror fans.. and it offers something new compared to silent hill or resident evil... IMO.. Mikami delivered

hsj3b1xi7fb2.gif

Everybody is playing already
LLShC.gif

GAAAAAAAAAAAABE

vctdl7lcdovv.gif

Gbraga

There's no way I'm finishing Shadow of Mordor in time for this >_<

I'm afraid I will never want to go back if I put it away to play Evil Within, but I also don't wanna miss day one.

Drewfonse

I'm afraid I will never want to go back if I put it away to play Evil Within, but I also don't wanna miss day one.

Same here. SoM hasn't really grabbed me anyway, but with both Alien and TEW on their way, I have a feeling that I will struggle to finish It.

Drewfonse

I woke up this morning to see 3-4 new pages here, and I was hoping for a lot more impressions, but it's mainly been a very scholarly discussion of what makes a game scary.

MORE IMPRESSIONS. NOW.

F311

I woke up this morning to see 3-4 new pages here, and I was hoping for a lot more impressions, but it's mainly been a very scholarly discussion of what makes a game scary.

MORE IMPRESSIONS. NOW.

Not played much only the first chapter, quite tense so far from what i've seen, dark and danky, can definitely tell the creator of resident evil is somewhat connected, stealth sections seem fine and draw inspiration from other games like amnesia with hiding.

Creeping around where i was for sure filled me with dread of what was around the corner.

Not tried the combat so far so will update with that later.

Graphically it seems nice in game, had a few texture pop ins during cutscenes but nothing major.

I know im gonna love this game i can just tell from the art style and architecture, i'd go as far as saying any res 4 fan will love this game.

ArchAngel

I'm in Ch4 now. Not scary, and you have to think about every step at larger groups of enemies. And well, if you hate being hunted in games, this is not for you ^^

The things that I don't like is that you need a couple of seconds to move at all if your stamina is 0, not helpful with a boss behind you.

And the big black bars on screen. The game is packed with vegetation, blur and fire. Somewhere in between are enemies und you always have the feeling that you can't see anything important. It's confusing to me, but I keep going, maybe it will get better soon :)

-MD-

I'm in Ch4 now. Not scary, and you have to think about every step at larger groups of enemies. And well, if you hate being hunted in games, this is not for you ^^

The things that I don't like is that you need a couple of seconds to move at all if your stamina is 0, not helpful with a boss behind you.

And the big black bars on screen. The game is packed with vegetation, blur and fire. Somewhere in between are enemies und you always have the feeling that you can't see anything important. It's confusing to me, but I keep going, maybe it will get better soon :)

You using a headset?

takoyaki

Ok, so I've now finished the 3rd chapter and the game is getting really good.

The game starts of a bit janky; Your walking animation is strange, there's a lot of texture pop-in (especially in the cutscenes) and the graphics have a "last-gen in high-res" feel to them, loading takes a while, you got to get used to the weird aspect ratio and you sometimes feel like you're fighting the controls. I didn't like the game after chapter 1 and I thought this would turn out to be a 5/6 out of 10.

Things start to get going after that: The setting gets a lot more interesting, there are some nice call-backs to old Mikami games (RE1, RE4, SotD, Remake) and you start to get more freedom in how you approach combat. In chapter 2, stealth is a viable option, but it's not always clear when the enemies see you and the aspect ratio of the game doesn't help.

You get used to it, start collecting points that go toward HP (I love the way they justify leveling-up in the game) and try different ways of dealing with enemies. This will help you a lot in chapter 3: This is when the game really kicks off and you are constantly outnumbered while running low on ammo/resources. This is when you find new weapons, start to use the traps against the enemies, hide from them under beds/in closets and start to think very tactically. Chapter 3 ends with a nice RE4-moment.

So far, the game is a great survival-horror/terror experience. I can see this game getting reviews anywhere from 6s to 9s, depending on the reviewer. If you focus on the problems of the game, or if you don't like replaying 15min of a level because you died shortly before a checkpoint, than it's more towards the lower end. If you play through the first hour, make an effort to learn the game's systems in chapter 2/3 and get hooked by the terrific atmosphere, than this could very well be a 9.

NerdBird

Banned
Nothing arrived today ;_______;

Hopefully (definitely) Monday

I'm a little bit depressed that it didn't arrive. I need to get over this game

The game starts of a bit janky; Your walking animation is strange, there's a lot of texture pop-in (especially in the cutscenes) and the graphics have a "last-gen in high-res" feel to them, loading takes a while, you got to get used to the weird aspect ratio and you sometimes feel like you're fighting the controls. I didn't like the game after chapter 1 and I thought this would turn out to be a 5/6 out of 10.

Things start to get going after that: The setting gets a lot more interesting, there are some nice call-backs to old Mikami games (RE1, RE4, SotD, Remake) and you start to get more freedom in how you approach combat. In chapter 2, stealth is a viable option, but it's not always clear when the enemies see you and the aspect ratio of the game doesn't help.

You get used to it, start collecting points that go toward HP (I love the way they justify leveling-up in the game) and try different ways of dealing with enemies. This will help you a lot in chapter 3: This is when the game really kicks off and you are constantly outnumbered while running low on ammo/resources. This is when you find new weapons, start to use the traps against the enemies, hide from them under beds/in closets and start to think very tactically. Chapter 3 ends with a nice RE4-moment.

So far, the game is a great survival-horror/terror experience. I can see this game getting reviews anywhere from 6s to 9s, depending on the reviewer. If you focus on the problems of the game, or if you don't like replaying 15min of a level because you died shortly before a checkpoint, than it's more towards the lower end. If you play through the first hour, make an effort to learn the game's systems in chapter 2/3 and get hooked by the terrific atmosphere, than this could very well be a 9.

Just wait... you haven't seen nothing yet ;)

Yoday

That early?

*checks on my GameFly*

gameflyshipped.png

well shit, I might be playing this release date then. I was thinking it would be closer to Friday
GameFly shipped mine out today as well, I was shocked to get the email. I haven't even started Alien yet. Oh well, TEW, Alien, and the rest of Shadow of Mordor are what will be keeping me busy until AC:U.

-MD-

Good read, thanks for the impressions. I appreciate that you compared it to something other than RE4.

Sanctuary

PirateBay, if we're being honest.

Wouldn't recommend it though

LMAO

Good man. Headsets are a premium price for low sound quality.

Headsets yes, headphones...just like video cards, the value drops as you go up, but you get what you pay for. Even if I could blast the super expensive home theater setup (it was in '99 at least!) that I can no longer use--so I sold it to a friend--I wouldn't want to really use it for anything much other than movies anyway. For music, nothing really beats headphones or a car with great acoustics. Stereo speakers in your average home environement not so much.

There's only like 20 story missions in the entire game. Just finish them, nobody says you have to do all the filler collectathons.

At least two-thirds of the weapon missions were above average, with a few standouts.

well shit, I might be playing this release date then. I was thinking it would be closer to Friday

I'm sure it varies by state, but whenever I would use Gamefly, I would always get a new game on release day.

antitrop

There's only like 20 story missions in the entire game. Just finish them, nobody says you have to do all the filler collectathons.

Found a playthrough on youtube that hasn't been taken down, ps3 version too.

I'm going in. I always spoil games for myself, but it doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment/experience. Ha. Mostly just want to see how the ps3 version looks.

GameFly shipped mine out today as well, I was shocked to get the email. I haven't even started Alien yet. Oh well, TEW, Alien, and the rest of Shadow of Mordor are what will be keeping me busy until AC:U.

Yep. Woke up to find out they also shipped my copy during the night. Can't wait.

That early?

*checks on my GameFly*

gameflyshipped.png

Looks like all of us will be playing by tuesday, get ready fellas. Cranking up my 7.1 surround headphones and playing that shit in the pitch black darkness. Gonna be soo good.

-MD-

Found a playthrough on youtube that hasn't been taken down, ps3 version too.

I'm going in. I always spoil games for myself, but it doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment/experience. Ha. Mostly just want to see how the ps3 version looks.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo......................

I'm in the same place with you (kinda). Yesterday i got my copy and today i'm in the second map (the open fields with grass). I hope that i'll finish it tomorrow (or Monday evening), so i can start playing The Evil Within at late afternoon of Monday.

Majora

I'm up to chapter 5 so far. Nearly 4 hours on the clock. So far so good. I don't know if I'd say it's any better than 'good' yet though. I know a statement like that in a hyped up thread will demand details of my gaming history, education, crime record and political allegiances so I'll just say that I think Resident Evil 4 and REMake are masterpieces, Resident Evil 6 was a bloated turd, and elsewhere in the horror genre I enjoyed Condemned, the PT Demo and Dead Space. I would have played Alien Isolation by now but my copy got lost in the post. I also like stealth games so I feel like I'm pretty much the ideal audience for this game.

I guess I'll preface my initial gameplay impressions by saying that it isn't really scary as such but it has a lot of atmosphere, reminiscent of the village in RE4 before the game turned up the crazy meter to 11 and had you riding mine carts in castles and talking to midgets on the radio. In fact, the whole game is very reminiscent of RE4 in many respects. Like RE5 before it, the sense of déjà vu can occasionally take you back a little.

Chapter 3 has been the highlight so far, with a big multi-layered open area that you could approach from numerous different angles. The game starts off fairly slow but it seems to now be at a point where the action is going to ramp up, or at least become more frequent. I think that is probably necessary because the stealth is fine but perfunctory and the first two chapters are nearly exclusively stealth.

Battles have not been as big in enemy numbers as RE4 yet but I just had one which was getting there. The sway of the reticle and limited stamina meter means you never feel as powerful as Leon but you still feel an order of magnitude more powerful than you ever did in REMake.

Being harsh, I would say that if Mikami aimed to bring fear and terror back to horror, as he himself did claim, he hasn't really succeeded. The game kind of falls between two stools. It doesn't inspire the sense of sheer dread, claustrophobia and vulnerability that REMake did but neither does it capture the balls to the wall rollercoaster of action and set pieces that Resi 4 did. It kind of wants to have its cake and eat it but ends up not quite capturing the highest points of either of his previous masterpieces.

I feel like a good example of this is the burning bodies mechanic. A clear throwback to REMake yet it doesn't quite work in this game. In REMake it worked because you were constantly going over the same parts of the mansion over and over again so there was a genuine sense of risk/reward and a sense of fear when returning to areas where you know you didn't burn the bodies. Here, you rarely retrace your steps. I have burnt bodies and then immediately questioned why because I know I'm on a linear path and I won't need to come back later. Even in the most open area, I think I might have gone over the same path 2-3 times at most and couldn't discern anything happening with the bodies I hadn't burnt.

The story is played pretty straight on the whole. I'm not finding it especially compelling or well-written but it doesn't seem like a disaster. As with all the gameplay observations I brought up before, I think time will tell with this aspect.

Technically, the framerate is mostly steady but it has dropped from 30 occasionally. Graphics are a mixed bag and the camera can be a touch awkward in tight spaces but it's not a game breaker.

If this sounds a bit negative it's probably just because I'm inevitably holding it up to two of the best horror games ever made. It's a good game and I feel like it could get even better (though I actually thought Chapter 4 was the worst so far) but I also feel like maybe people should turn the hype down just a little to avoid being disappointed. Based on what I've played so far I see a lot of 7.5 to 8s but I feel like that could go up to 8.5-9s depending on how later levels go. Still a long way to go.

J4g3r

I just got back from food shopping and they had the boxes out for the game so thought I would try my luck, even a bribe wouldn't work. :(

This is going to one long weekend without having this to play...

Slasher, if you want to go back and replay a chapter what happens? Or even can you on the same playthrough, do you have to have multiple saves.

Top Bottom