• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
What is everyone's favorite combination of the Best Friends?

I really dug Liam and Pat in Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden.

481px-Wat.jpeg

Mikami can't even decide on what makes a game "Survival Horror". Oh, Mikami called a duck a rabbit, therefore you cannot argue that it's not a rabbit!
Is everything just black or white in your world of opinions?

TBH, I don't even care what a game is called as long as I'm enjoying it
He's the father of survisurvival horror, if he says his new game is a return to survival horror that's what it is, this isn't opinion this is common sense, you name your children whatever the heck you want, call me out of my name and I'd get man suplex you.

By replying you're not exactly mentally ignoring me bud. And your opinion is definitely in the minority when it comes to that game, which is generally considered to be his weakest game. You can't be categorically wrong about a fact.
I'm not sure if you're serious about any of that, but that game is a classic action game that played by its own rules, i can't help it if you got your behind rocked in the first encounter with an enemy and instead of conceding to your lack of skill at its mechanics feel your opinion invalidates those who have beaten and loved the game like myself.
Mikami did not make the first horror game. He did not even make the first horror game with prerendered backgrounds and a locked camera angle of a 3D environment.
I'm talking about Survival horror. Seriously.

When they're done well they can be anything but cheap. Part of the reason why Dead Space is so effective is because it built tension around the player expecting something to jump out of the shadows at all time. When a jump scare finally happens, it's a cathartic release of all the dread the player experienced and a great segue to action.

I'm not actually against an occasional jump scare, they're just......easy. When I think back on a horror experience, whether that be a game or movie, and think "Was that good horror?", it's not the jump scares I go to, especially if they're overused. Like, a jump scare has to be GOAT status for me to not mentally dispose of it. A thick, oppressive, lasting atmosphere and tension is much more impressive and important to me.

You'd think that, but you also have some purists swear up and down The Last of Us isn't survival horror, despite its low ammo and monsters because "reasons". Or basically anything that isn't RE1-3/Silent Hill because "reasons".

For me The Last of Us wasn't anything close to horror. The main "reason," as you say, is the environmental design didn't in any way convey a sense of dread, nor did any enemy outside of the clikers. It had (light) elements of horror, for sure. So does a game like Metroid. But not many people go around calling it a horror game of any sort. And they're right, just as those who say TLOU isn't horror are right.

Sanctuary

He's the father of survisurvival horror, if he says his new game is a return to survival horror that's what it is, this isn't opinion this is common sense, you name your children whatever the heck you want, call me out of my name and I'd get man suplex you.

Man, you really are hopeless. The genre didn't just manifsest in 1996 either, it just became majorly mainstream and refined. He's the father of modern Surival Horror, not the father of the genre itself.

I'm not actually against an occasional jump scare, they're just......easy. When I think back on a horror experience, whether that be a game or movie, and think "Was that good horror?", it's not the jump scares I go to, especially if they're overused. Like, a jump scare has to be GOAT status for me to not mentally dispose of it. A thick, oppressive, lasting atmosphere and tension is much more impressive and important to me.

I have only truly been scared by a one horror movie. The original Halloween. To a lesser extent Demons, but for much different reasons. Otherwise, it's all about the jump scares to get a reaction out of me. When I look back at a movie, it's more about a) did it have a captivating atmosphere and b) was the story/premise good and c) was the acting above B grade, Barbie Doll shit?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

They're also best when done sparingly, like the ending of Dead Space or something out of nowhere like the Oven Man.

Dunno if you played Outlast but it was a good example of a game that pretty much constantly had GOTCHA moments with jump scares.

The other fella with the game will have a review up sometime tomorrow:

"Finally! Just finished The Evil Within for the Playstation 4. The game took me 15 hours and 40 minutes (15:40:06) with 73 deaths (yes, you will die A LOT) to finish my first playthrough.

I'm now gonna sleep. My first draft review will be up either today night or tomorrow evening."

Man, you really are hopeless.
That ain't my name and you know it!
I WARNED YOU MANG!

IKEwRjR.gif

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The other fella with the game will have a review up sometime tomorrow:

"Finally! Just finished The Evil Within for the Playstation 4. The game took me 15 hours and 40 minutes (15:40:06) with 73 deaths (yes, you will die A LOT) to finish my first playthrough.

I'm now gonna sleep. My first draft review will be up either today night or tomorrow evening."

That ain't my name and you know it!
I WARNED YOU MANG!

IKEwRjR.gif
Don't listen just cause it's a review. There's a reason behind quality and it's not spoiling another person's experience.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey Dusk, about my time. Finished chapter 6 with 5:29 on the clock, so yeah...almost at the 6 hour mark.

Yup, been hearing from a few people chapter 6 is significantly longer than the previous chapters. At the same point, the other players time was 6:06:27.

MattyG

Banned
Do you guys think the season pass will get region locked at launch? I want to get one from a trader, but I won't have the money until Tuesday or wednesday.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Another player who got the game a few days ago (but been light on details, but definitely has it, posted some gameplay and unboxing and stuff) finishes the game (PS4 version for this one).

I have only truly been scared by a one horror movie. The original Halloween. To a lesser extent Demons, but for much different reasons. Otherwise, it's all about the jump scares to get a reaction out of me. When I look back at a movie, it's more about a) did it have a captivating atmosphere and b) was the story/premise good and c) was the acting above B grade, Barbie Doll shit?

It's not that they don't get a reaction out of me, they can, but that's my problem. LOUD NOISE AND THING HAPPENING ON SCREEN is boring. You shut the light off and concentrate on anything long enough and you can be startled like that. But the key word is "startled." It's a fleeting feeling. A car horn going off unexpectedly as you walk by can accomplish the same thing.

Unease and/or tension, on the other hand, are impressive as hell. If something can immerse me to the point that I get uncomfortable with its methods, that's what I remember above all. And not uncomfortable in the sense that I'm disgusted (like eye horror uggggh), but just uncomfortable in the weird, twisted atmosphere. David Lynch's work, for example, is better at this than damn near all traditional horror media.

They're also best when done sparingly, like the ending of Dead Space or something out of nowhere like the Oven Man.

Dunno if you played Outlast but it was a good example of a game that pretty much constantly had GOTCHA moments with jump scares.

Constant jump scares just makes me numb. I start thinking too much about the experience and become detached. Like in a game I'll start thinking about how large the intervals between scares were, and how devs designed the environment to try and trick me, etc. If it starts feeling too artificial, my brain checks out like that Simpsons gif where Homer's mind floats away.

Sanctuary

I start thinking too much about the experience and become detached. Like in a game I'll start thinking about how large the intervals between scares were, and how devs designed the environment to try and trick me, etc. If it starts feeling too artificial, my brain checks out like that Simpsons gif where Homer's mind floats away.

I can't think of the last time over the last decade where this wasn't an issue for me. Prior to Demon's Souls that is. Praising that game (and to a lesser extent Dark) for anything anymore has almost become cliche, but it really was so absolutely amazing with its atmosphere and sense of "oh fuck, what's around the corner?" gameplay. And hell, a good portion of the time after you saw what was around the corner, it was like "okay, now what do I do?".

Not since the original King's Field did I get so caught up in a game.

It's not that they don't get a reaction out of me, they can, but that's my problem. LOUD NOISE AND THING HAPPENING ON SCREEN is boring. You shut the light off and concentrate on anything long enough and you can be startled like that. But the key word is "startled." It's a fleeting feeling. A car horn going off unexpectedly as you walk by can accomplish the same thing.

Unease and/or tension, on the other hand, are impressive as hell. If something can immerse me to the point that I get uncomfortable with its methods, that's what I remember above all. And not uncomfortable in the sense that I'm disgusted (like eye horror uggggh), but just uncomfortable in the weird, twisted atmosphere. David Lynch's work, for example, is better at this than damn near all traditional horror media.

Preach breh. Jump scares can fuck off.

Lerozz

Ugh, there are several streams online right now and i'm so tempted to watch ( .__.)

Watching the 360 one. Looks like so much fun. The image quality is meh though but I suppose that (apart from it being last gen) is due to the stream (menus look blurry etc.).

Good to see it runs well. It's just like RE4. Very nice.

Finally got it. Now the long wait for the 7.5GB update till it finishes. Feel free to PM whatever you want to know about the game and i'll answer all of your questions in the spoiler thread with pictures (if you asked for them) and the like.

Lerozz

Confirming for anyone still doubting: there is no english dub in the Austrian version.

System language English (for me by default) sets it to French.

Let the installation commence.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Confirming for anyone still doubting: there is no english dub in the Austrian version.

Unfuckingbelievable.

What happens if you set your console to english and then start the game?

Lerozz

Unfuckingbelievable.

What happens if you set your console to english and then start the game?

See above: sets it to French.

So the usual with 4 languages German, French, Spanish and Italian seems to be the case as with most other Bethesda releases in mainland Europe.

Annoying certainly but from the streams I could gather that the dub is not that bad. It also seems to be a game that I might double dib so I might get the UK or US version sometime along the way.

Streams: there are by the way 24 up and running over at Twitch at the moment. I think they just don't care about closing them anymore. So everyone on the fence, just go and have a look.

JimPanzer

See above: sets it to French.

So the usual with 4 languages German, French, Spanish and Italian seems to be the case as with most other Bethesda releases in mainland Europe.

that's really bad, I probably would have skipped the game if I had no access to the english version via US PSN.

Lerozz

that's really bad, I probably would have skipped the game if I had no access to the english version via US PSN.

I thought about that as well. But the chance of getting it early made the decision a bit easier. That and also the added reasons above. Getting it another time on a sale seems to be a given.

Edit: Languages can be changed in the option menu but the choices are the same (German, French, Spanish, Italian).

Man, everybody streaming gets stuck at the same part - and it's one of the most boring action sequences i have ever seen in a video game. I am just hoping that these streams aren't indicative of the game as whole.

Also, why does this game look so bad visually? Isn't it running on the RAGE engine?

Broke down and watched a bit of a stream. Think they were in chapter 6.
I saw him face off with a chainsaw enemy after getting locked in an area (this encounter setup is so RE4 it hurts :D...and dat huge green gel pickup on his corpse :DDDDDD) and navigate a broken bridge.
Looks fucking amazing. Also, dat nearby save room music and dose skippable (what I presume are) real time cutscenes. ugggghhhhh I WANT IT NOW

derwalde

so there wont be any possibility to play with englisch voices and german subtitles?_?

Man, everybody streaming gets stuck at the same part - and it's one of the most boring action sequences i have ever seen in a video game. I am just hoping that these streams aren't indicative of the game as whole.

Also, why does this game look so bad visually? Isn't it running on the RAGE engine?

I think "Bad" is the wrong adjective. "Uneven" may be more accurate. The character models look great and some of the lightning looks simply fantastic, but then they will pass by a doorframe that has a really oddly poor texture on it or something to that effect. ID Tech 5 was an odd engine when released and time has not been too kind to it, but it is still a far cry from "bad."

Vaiim

Well mine came from Gamestop (UK) now:
zM0aQFI.jpg

Can't play until release anyway, yay Steam! But with all the worrying PC-port info that's turned up in the last few days, I'll probably just wait for some solid info on the stability of 60fps first, and find out whether my graphics card will be able to scrape by on 1080p.

Fingers crossed we get some good news on it, else it'll be returned, and picked up for £5 in a sale at some point :(

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Apparently I heard some impressions over the local PS4 group that the game isn't so scary.

Top Bottom