• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

I'm up to chapter 5 so far. Nearly 4 hours on the clock. So far so good. I don't know if I'd say it's any better than 'good' yet though. I know a statement like that in a hyped up thread will demand details of my gaming history, education, crime record and political allegiances.

The awesome thing about that is, even if you were to give all of those credentials, you wouldn't be believed by those that know the game is the super, excellent, GOAT (until the next GOTY), lifestyle changer that it is.

-MD-

I feel like a good example of this is the burning bodies mechanic. A clear throwback to REMake yet it doesn't quite work in this game. In REMake it worked because you were constantly going over the same parts of the mansion over and over again so there was a genuine sense of risk/reward and a sense of fear when returning to areas where you know you didn't burn the bodies. Here, you rarely retrace your steps. I have burnt bodies and then immediately questioned why because I know I'm on a linear path and I won't need to come back later. Even in the most open area, I think I might have gone over the same path 2-3 times at most and couldn't discern anything happening with the bodies I hadn't burnt.

For some reason this isn't something I considered. Damn, that does sound a bit disappointing, as you said the entire reason that mechanic worked in REmake was because you were going through some of the rooms half a dozen times. Does it function differently or something though? Crimson heads wouldn't come back until much later iirc but if the enemies in TEW are on timers or something and they revive in real time then I could see it being semi-useful in that case.

20% code doesn't seem to work for me

Works for me, I'm in the US though. OCTOBE-R20GMG-OFFERX

i just want this game...i hate all you people

I hate you too you bastard.

Majora

What version are you playing Majora? (to give us better context)

Oops, forgot to mention that! I'm on PS4. There's been the occasional texture pop-in, a few frame rate drops, some textures that are a big ugly and some nice lighting. It's mostly fine but probably lacking that subtle layer of polish most people expect from a modern AAA game.

Sanctuary

if the enemies in TEW are on timers or something and they revive in real time then I could see it being semi-useful in that case.

This is exactly how I assumed it would work. Otherwise, what the fuck is the point if you aren't even going to be around when they rise?
Wouldn't it be cool if a later area spawned a number of enemies based off of those you didn't previously burn? Hmm...

If this sounds a bit negative it's probably just because I'm inevitably holding it up to two of the best horror games ever made. It's a good game and I feel like it could get even better (though I actually thought Chapter 4 was the worst so far) but I also feel like maybe people should turn the hype down just a little to avoid being disappointed. Based on what I've played so far I see a lot of 7.5 to 8s but I feel like that could go up to 8.5-9s depending on how later levels go. Still a long way to go.
Being a huge horror vet myself, I appreciate this whole post you did. Very good impressions and quite different from my take on the game so far, but I'm prevented from really going into any detail due to embargo. What I can say I found interesting, is you found chapter 4 the worst, while I thought chapter 4 was pretty fantastic. I've played up until chapter 9 and I've felt every chapter has been either better or in equal amounts quality wise sans chapter 8. If anything, this does indeed showcase that this game will probably have some, good to amazing reviews/impressions from folks depending on what they are expecting and what they are taking away from the game.

Slasher, if you want to go back and replay a chapter what happens? Or even can you on the same playthrough, do you have to have multiple saves.

I haven't beaten the game so as for now it's just save games, BUT if you have a game saves anywhere in a chapter, there is a chapter restart. Maybe a chapter selection opens up once you complete it, I don't know.

For some reason this isn't something I considered. Damn, that does sound a bit disappointing, as you said the entire reason that mechanic worked in REmake was because you were going through some of the rooms half a dozen times. Does it function differently or something though? Crimson heads wouldn't come back until much later iirc but if the enemies in TEW are on timers or something and they revive in real time then I could see it being semi-useful in that case.

I had the same thoughts at first with the match mechanic... but if your comparing it to REmake, yes.... you will walk away disappointed. Since the game keeps you moving forward for the most part, the mechanic is truly there for crowd control and the "is it dead"? For example, when fighting larger group of enemies, it's the difference between unloading sometimes 4-5 rounds into 1 of say 3 enemies, but if you are able to get one to fall, throw a match quickly, it will burn him, solidifying that the enemy is indeed dead and possible sometimes getting the other enemies on fire as well. Sometimes you come upon bodies that your not sure if they are dead, and sometime bodies will get up. Do you light it or not. Granted also hangings bodies can be burned, bails of hay can be burned, oil slicks, etc.

Sanctuary

Ala MGS3? That'd be some shit

I slit so many necks man...I didn't know how the controls worked damnit :V

Thanks for ruining the entire game for me. I've actually never played MGS3 (played MG, MGS, MGS2, MGS4 lol...). Actually purchased the PS3 pack that has Peacewalker too. I've been meaning for ages to actually play them. Guess that's what I'll do today. But man, MGS4 just entirely burned me out on the series. Those fucking cutscenes, arrggghhh!.

This is exactly how I assumed it would work. Otherwise, what the fuck is the point if you aren't even going to be around when they rise?
Wouldn't it be cool if a later area spawned a number of enemies based off of those you didn't previously burn? Hmm...

Bish would love this i think.

My PS4 is still in the mail, so...

Did you buy a PS4 mostly for The Evil Within? If so,

damn_good_stuff_sir.gif

Sanctuary

Did you buy a PS4 mostly for The Evil Within?

Nah, I was actually going to buy it just for Bloodborne in Feb and possibly F2p Dogma, and whatever other exclusives come down the line. Just decided to go ahead and buy the system early because I wasn't going to buy a GTX 980 just to play this game. Picked up TEW with the system and going to leave it unopened until I see how the PC version runs on my GTX 780. If the game runs at 1080p/30fps with very few issues I'm just going to return the unopened game. Might seem scummy, but then this port might be as well.

Gbraga

There's only like 20 story missions in the entire game. Just finish them, nobody says you have to do all the filler collectathons.

But the story missions so far are kinda terrible >_>

I'm in the same place with you (kinda). Yesterday i got my copy and today i'm in the second map (the open fields with grass). I hope that i'll finish it tomorrow (or Monday evening), so i can start playing The Evil Within at late afternoon of Monday.

I'm not even in the second map. :C

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Release day wizards stand together! Is there pride in waiting anymore? Companies have sort of thrown the ball with you tubers and such. Just say to yourself, "I'm on YouTube" and enjoy that early copy. Oh well I work weekends either way.

Sanctuary

Sorry, Demon's F2p Dogma

Release day wizards stand together! Is there pride in waiting anymore?

Do you mean pride in waiting on playing, or pride on being able to keep yourself on a blackout until release day? I sure as hell wouldn't be posting anything if I was able to play it now. It sucks that there's no parity among the playerbase, but there hasn't been for a while. At least Ubisoft gets it, and wouldn't force the majority to wait while early copies are being played all over Youtube at 30fps.

Mendrox

Game is avaiable at GamesCastle Hamburg.

Played through to Chapter 9, currently played 5 hours. Playing on middle difficulty.

Ammo is quiet rare but when shit happens you always have things to kill these monsters. Playing the PS3 version... it's bad. Framedrops everywhere, resolution is crap, game looks... not that good, texture popups. :(

Monster designs are very nice, action is cool and the environments give you cool tools. Gore is 10/10, story is okaish and full of mindfucks.

I played every Resident Evil, Amnesia, Alien and many other Horror games or Survival games like the Last of Us. Shooting feels good, menus look good and the way to upgrade things is good too.

Game is a good 8/10, but nothing... GOTY worthy, but nice to play once imo (be reminded that I have not finished it yet).

Spoiler for monster type:

P.S.
I hate invisible enemies

Mendrox

Excellent.

Wtf, I think you're going much faster than average.

I am good player so I don't need much time for games. And for everyone else.. Yes! I am collecting everything I can find and I search through everything.

Also... playing with my mum who was way more hyped for this game than me lol

Edit: Who is that woman in that Gif?!?!?!

Lerozz

... Playing the PS3 version... it's bad. Framedrops everywhere, resolution is crap, game looks... not that good, texture popups. :(

Playing on the same platform and have to say that I don't see it as being that bad. I expected worse. Certainly, it cannot compete with visual fidelities of a, say, Last of Us but it looks solid. Frame rate (up to Chapter 4) is alright, a little tear here and there, shadows look like crap obviously and the pop ins can be annoying (the car radio and the cranes, tzzzz) but that is to be expected, it is id Tech (remember Rage ?).

Can anyone confirm if enemies suddenly re-appear in areas that you have cleared before ? No, I did not make noise to attract them from somewhere else and did not forget to burn them. In another occasion I was out of matches and the corpse was just gone after I came back a short while later (stealth kill = insta-death even without burning ?).

kodecraft

Ok, so I've now finished the 3rd chapter and the game is getting really good.

The game starts of a bit janky; Your walking animation is strange, there's a lot of texture pop-in (especially in the cutscenes) and the graphics have a "last-gen in high-res" feel to them, loading takes a while, you got to get used to the weird aspect ratio and you sometimes feel like you're fighting the controls. I didn't like the game after chapter 1 and I thought this would turn out to be a 5/6 out of 10.

Things start to get going after that: The setting gets a lot more interesting, there are some nice call-backs to old Mikami games (RE1, RE4, SotD, Remake) and you start to get more freedom in how you approach combat. In chapter 2, stealth is a viable option, but it's not always clear when the enemies see you and the aspect ratio of the game doesn't help.

You get used to it, start collecting points that go toward HP (I love the way they justify leveling-up in the game) and try different ways of dealing with enemies. This will help you a lot in chapter 3: This is when the game really kicks off and you are constantly outnumbered while running low on ammo/resources. This is when you find new weapons, start to use the traps against the enemies, hide from them under beds/in closets and start to think very tactically. Chapter 3 ends with a nice RE4-moment.

So far, the game is a great survival-horror/terror experience. I can see this game getting reviews anywhere from 6s to 9s, depending on the reviewer. If you focus on the problems of the game, or if you don't like replaying 15min of a level because you died shortly before a checkpoint, than it's more towards the lower end. If you play through the first hour, make an effort to learn the game's systems in chapter 2/3 and get hooked by the terrific atmosphere, than this could very well be a 9.

Thanks for the impressions but SotD is NOT a Mikami game, people really want to call it this.

Playing on the same platform and have to say that I don't see it as being that bad. I expected worse. Certainly, it cannot compete with visual fidelities of a, say, Last of Us but it looks solid. Frame rate (up to Chapter 4) is alright, a little tear here and there, shadows look like crap obviously and the pop ins can be annoying (the car radio and the cranes, tzzzz) but that is to be expected, it is id Tech (remember Rage ?).

Can anyone confirm if enemies suddenly re-appear in areas that you have cleared before ? No, I did not make noise to attract them from somewhere else and did not forget to burn them. In another occasion I was out of matches and the corpse was just gone after I came back a short while later (stealth kill = insta-death even without burning ?).

Stealth kills do indeed kill the enemy for sure.

I am good player so I don't need much time for games. And for everyone else.. Yes! I am collecting everything I can find and I search through everything.

Interesting difference in time. I'd consider myself a good player as well and explored everywhere also and not even close to that time for me. Perhaps you just got lucky with your enemy placement and ammo drops. Either way, glad to know your enjoying it, but I think most people won't have the same time as you when they get to chapter 9.

Top Bottom