• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

Criticizing TLOU on GAF will get you burned at the stake.

I have noticed that pre-release threads can turn into somewhat of a circle jerk as marketing and excitement get the best of people, with any criticisms being ostracized.
For example, when I criticized the new aiming viewpoint yesterday.

It's been that way with most highly anticipated games. Although they typically turn into "Gosh, this is easily the most amazing game of all forever infinity, 20/10!!!" after release until a few months later when subjectivity dies down and catches up with the more critical Gaffer.

I have noticed that pre-release threads can turn into somewhat of a circle jerk as marketing and excitement get the best of people, with any criticisms being ostracized.
Why single out TLOU?

DVCY201

You can add P.T. to that list as well.

Disappointed to hear that this is one of Mikami's inferior games on the tech side.

Windpower

Banned

what do you expect, people on this forum get kneejerk over every goddamn thing. only takes like a single sentence to go straight from "goat" to "omg worst piece of shit"

kick51

Banned
It's been that way with most highly anticipated games. Although they typically turn into "Gosh, this is easily the most amazing game of all forever infinity, 20/10!!!" after release until a few months later when subjectivity dies down and catches up with the more critical Gaffer.

yeah, I haven't actually stepped foot in one of these in a while and now I'm reminded why. The matching avatars, the pop-gaf level bitchiness towards anything critical of the game...it's a mess.

but it's funny that my comments about being just not excited enough to buy day 1 somehow imploded this shit. That was not what I was going for, but it's an interesting result. I forget how fragile the hyped psyche is.

edit: look at this fucking guy VVVV

Xpliskin

tumblr_mubw47LCIG1sh6py2o1_500.gif

loooool
dude, my sides hurt

I had this in mind
tumblr_m21z0ePmor1qfqzs8o1_500.gif

but that works too
playfulness is the best

But peeps, don't worry.
If this game isn't to my liking and I will let it know for sure.
Then hope that Tango Gameworks disperses into the abyss after the DLC is out.

It's just not very often that you see the creator of RE work on a horror game.

Okay, so I think I have my expectations perfectly in check for what TEW is gonna be:

A somewhat janky 15-20 hour action horror game with horrible voice acting, some texture pop in and extremely satisfying headshots, that has challenging, fun gameplay and a frame rate that drops a little too much here and there.

...Okay. I can deal with that.

Xpliskin

I know that's why i countered with Taken ;P

q19B9.gif

Okay, so I think I have my expectations perfectly in check for what TEW is gonna be:

A somewhat janky 15-20 hour action horror game with horrible voice acting, some texture pop in and extremely satisfying headshots, that has challenging, fun gameplay and a frame rate that drops a little too much here and there.

...Okay. I can deal with that.

It's time for crazy theories:

Post-release:

a) Tango adopts UE4
b) Tango fixes IdTech 5
c) Tango adopts IdTech 6, which means they have to move over all the stuff they added to IdTech 5. Coder hell, because milestones were not spread out so they didn't have time to do "things properly".
Delaying means you're scrambling.
d) Tango dies

We can all agree IdTech 5 needs to come back in a generation or two when storage read speeds are lighting fast, among other hardware factors that affect clipmapping/megatextures.

Which one do you bet on

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I preordered the game from Gamersgate, but the website isn't loading for me. Can someone else check if the website is up?

Nibel

q19B9.gif

It's time for crazy theories:

Post-release:

a) Tango adopts UE4
b) Tango fixes IdTech 5
c) Tango adopts IdTech 6, which means they have to move over all the stuff they added to IdTech 5. Coder hell, because milestones were not spread out so they didn't have time to do "things properly".
Delaying means you're scrambling.
d) Tango dies

We can all agree IdTech 5 needs to come back in a generation or two when storage read speeds are lighting fast, among other hardware factors that affect clipmapping/megatextures.

Which one do you bet on

e) Tango will do nothing

id Tech 5 is flawed from the ground up.

Scoot2005

Banned
So my Gamestop just called and informed me they are doing a midnight release for this. Think I'm gonna go. Never been to one.

image.php

HOLY SHIT... That's quite the avatar change dude.

Sanctuary

I forget how fragile the hyped psyche is.

I can't really relate. Not in the need to defend at least, but I think my hype meter may be running on fumes for just about any game anymore. Most games do not come close to being as good as you imagined they would be. Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised, but most of the time it's not worth getting that worked up over.

Hype-induced, soul-crushing response to the actual release?

Assassin's Crud
Red Dud Redumption (*I actually wasn't that interested to begin with, but pretty much everyone on the planet assured me it was an experience like no other. I had no idea GTA + horses could be so boring, and that was an experience!)
Resident Evil 5/6 (*can 6 really count though when you knew it would be a shitpile ahead of time?)
Arkham City
FFXIII
Diablo 3
Bioshock Infinite
Skyward Sword
Mass Effect 3 (*not because of the endings)
Dead Space 3
Dark Souls 2

And from all accounts, of a game I never cared about anyway: Destiny.

well, which is it? survival horror or RE4? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah, I haven't actually stepped foot in one of these in a while and now I'm reminded why. The matching avatars, the pop-gaf level bitchiness towards anything critical of the game...it's a mess.

but it's funny that my comments about being just not excited enough to buy day 1 somehow imploded this shit. That was not what I was going for, but it's an interesting result. I forget how fragile the hyped psyche is.

get over yourself, you were getting jumped on because your reasoning was goofy, you've known since earlier in this very thread the pedigree of this game, why you suddenly forgot that and decided to announce you aren't getting the game because of something you've known for ages, is again, beyond all reason.

GMG codes activated, game is preloaded on my steam drive...

Now to play the waiting game...

And hope that there's some way to alter the aiming FOV. :p

I can't really relate. Not in the need to defend at least, but I think my hype meter may be running on fumes for just about any game anymore. Most games do not come close to being as good as you imagined they would be. Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised, but most of the time it's not worth getting that worked up over.

Hype-induced, soul-crushing response to the actual release?

Assassin's Crud
Red Dud Redumption (*I actually wasn't that interested to begin with, but pretty much everyone on the planet assured me it was an experience like no other. I had no idea GTA + horses could be so boring, and that was an experience!)
Resident Evil 5/6 (*can 6 really count though when you knew it would be a shitpile ahead of time?)
Arkham City
FFXIII
Diablo 3
Bioshock Infinite
Skyward Sword
Mass Effect 3 (*not because of the endings)
Dead Space 3
Dark Souls 2

And from all accounts, of a game I never cared about anyway: Destiny.

Disappointed by AC, RDR, RE5/6, AC, FF13, D3, Bio Inf, and Dark Souls 2? You should just quit gaming dude.

Awww yea, all aboard the circle jerk train!

Seriously though, I feel like I'll enjoy the game regardless of impressions. Mikami hasn't disappointed me aside from one game, which is damn stellar.

Bring on TEW! Helps that I'm getting the PC version that has the option of fixing up some of the more commonly cited issues (framerate, black bars if they get in my way, console commands, etc).

Do other ID Tech 5 games have texture filtering?

I've been playing it and have been one of THE most hyped people for the game and have still brought up the issues I see with it. As I always said I would. I don't think it's fair to think criticism is unwanted just because folks get their avatar made up for a game their excited for. Just saying :p I love discussion. I just can't discuss too much myself cause I'm under embargo. I'll have my review ready for the launch day as well as my walkthrough. I have things to say about this game. That's for sure.

Majora

On Chapter 6 now and this could very well be a lost chapter from RE4. Like, if they re-released a directors cut of RE4 and this chapter was in it no-one would bat an eyelid.

Some of it is possibly a little overfamiliar by now given that RE5 heavily plagiarised RE4 as well though. I don't think I really needed another boss fight against
another giant chainsaw dude

Drewfonse

Good impressions so far. I'm liking what I'm hearing, other than the frame rate issues and perpetual aiming reticle. Those make me want to projectile vomit. I've heard enough to prepare myself for some of the game's shortcomings. Hype in check,

I will enjoy this game.

Awww yea, all aboard the circle jerk train!

Seriously though, I feel like I'll enjoy the game regardless of impressions. Mikami hasn't disappointed me aside from one game, which is damn stellar.

Bring on TEW! Helps that I'm getting the PC version that has the option of fixing up some of the more commonly cited issues (framerate, black bars if they get in my way, console commands, etc).

Do other ID Tech 5 games have texture filtering?

Not sure that I love *all* of Mikami's work, but he does have a pretty damn good pedigree. He made RE2, RE3, RE4, Onimusha Warlords, DMC, Godhand, and Vanquish. That's enough for me to overlook the titles on his resume that I didn't think were very good.

Not sure that I love *all* of Mikami's work, but he does have a pretty damn good pedigree. He made RE2, RE3, RE4, Onimusha Warlords, DMC, Godhand, and Vanquish. That's enough for me to overlook the titles on his resume that I didn't think were very good.

Overall, general rule of thumb is if Mikami is director, it will be great in my eyes.

don't forget VJ, MML2, SOTD, and PN03

Drewfonse

If it makes you feel better, my sweet ass black cat had her TEW avatar effect disappear mysteriously. She is still hyped for the game, but is no longer cumming over every mention of it.

You forgot Halo, Super Mario Sunshine, Grabbed By The Ghoulies, Pacman CE, and Robotech: Battlecry

Xpliskin

If it makes you feel better, my sweet ass black cat had her TEW avatar effect disappear mysteriously. She is still hyped for the game, but is no longer cumming over every mention of it.

Out of curiosity, what sound does that make ? the cat I mean.

Cause you're hot n your cold, you're yes then you're no. You're in then you're out.

Grief.exe

The XIII port was bad but runs just fine. This might have performance issues.

FFXIII does have random, unexplainable, framerate dips. Most of the fidelity issues are getting grinded out by Durante at the moment.

I've been on a 100% blackout, so the framerate dips noticeably on PS4 ?

SlasherJ what about XO ?

EDIT: Welp, Digital Foundry is going to have a field day with this.

Dips on XBO and PS4 despite the already reduced framerate and resolution, locked to 30 FPS on PC.

They are going to have a blast with this one.

I was laughed at for my apparently joke posts about the new aiming viewpoint yesterday.
I will add however that my order is still on hold and reading the new impressions is making me somewhat glad i held off, permanent black bars and aiming reticle, together with frame rate problems and close up zoom in aiming does not sound great to me.
I should also add that i live in the uk, so the game will be about £25 in a few weeks anyway. Go ahead gaf burn away.

Hey, they are having a midnight release for Borderlands: The Prequel. I'm getting that as well. Will they let me pick this up too? Or do I have to wait?

Sanctuary

Hey, they are having a midnight release for Borderlands: The Prequel. I'm getting that as well. Will they let me pick this up too? Or do I have to wait?

Who is they, and do they hate money? If you're picking up a physical copy, they would probably be releasing all new titles at midnight. That's what they do around here anyway.
For a place like Gamestop, the big deal about a midnight release is simply that they are staying open two or three hours later than normal business hours.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Man, that first chapter did not leave a great impression. Awful, awful stealth section. Ugh.

The second.. and then the third.. tho..

leonardo-dicaprio-got-wolf-of-wall-street-drug-inspiration-from-youtube-video.gif

Dat tension, dat atmosphere.. So SO good. It actually reminded me of Bloodborne.

Yes there is some jankiness, and the aiming is ehh.. But everything else is really good, at least so far.

Top Bottom