• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

kick51

Banned
Sounds RE4-like with some light nods to pre-RE4, as expected. Not as lame as RE5 or 6, but still an action game. Unfortunately, I've played RE4 too many times and have made myself very sick of it, so I'm not sure if I'll play this.

Sounds RE4-like with some light nods to pre-RE4, as expected. Not as lame as RE5 or 6, but still an action game. Unfortunately, I've played RE4 too many times and have made myself very sick of it, so I'm not sure if I'll play this.

ibp1cvonkMtiBi.gif

Zyae

WOT?

It's a new game...

Endo Punk

Wish there was a demo but depending on the reviews I will certainly purchase this game next week. I fully trust Mikami but don't quite trust Bathesda who could have interfered with the game. I just hope it delivers because it is right up my alley in terms of survival horror and action.

Nibel

i3IPIceZYjQMY.gif

(There is no "too much RE4")

So I've been a little out of the loop, sorry if this has been asked a bunch: you CAN remove the black bars on the PC version, correct? Any impressions on how this makes the game look? Leaning towards the PC version because of this.

Played the demo at PAX and those black bars were pretty darn big.

kick51

Banned
Well I understood what he was trying to say. He's assuming it will be a case of "series fatigue", even though he hasn't even played the game enough to know if it really is that close to RE4 or not.

Well, i'm not willing to spend $60 to find out and all the reviews/impressions can't go 10 words without mentioning RE4, so....I can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

VArghq9.jpg

Some quick and dirty thoughts from a couple hours with the PS4 version last night:

Good:
-Very creepy atmosphere
-Nice lighting from the environment and Sebastian's lamp
-Combat feels tight. Headshots are so damn satisfying and look brutal
-Playing on normal, supplies seem quite constrained
-Encounters with the Haunted are very tense
-Gloriously nasty deaths for poor Sebastian. I recommend dying at the first
Butcher
encounter

Bad:
-Framerate takes some pretty bad dives in spots
-Textures loading in frequently during cutscenes and area transitions, saw some really muddy textures as well
-Not positive it's a fact, but I noticed the reticle stays on the screen, even when not aiming. Options only allow either on or off, no auto-hide during exploration
-The 'skip' option that displays during cutscenes is obtrusive and immersion-breaking

Ugly:
-Voice-acting is awful
-Writing is stilted, in dialogue and journals
-Sebastian's animations are hit and miss. Most of the misses are already well-documented and haven't improved

Ghastly:
-Those goddamn black bars. Hate 'em. I really wish they could be turned off

I'm only just at Chapter 3, so obviously still very early. Despite some technical and creative setbacks, I think this game will be a strong return to form for the genre. Whether it's even up to par with or surpasses RE4 remains to be seen for me. I will say that I'm excited to keep playing and seeing how it pans out. I think the mainstream press won't be as kind to it, though. Get ready for those 6's and 7's.

Sanctuary

Well, i'm not willing to spend $60 to find out and all the reviews/impressions can't go 10 words without mentioning RE4, so....I can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.

I wasn't criticizing you. There's a lot of game series that I won't give a second look to because I'm either burnt out on the genre itself, or the series seems to just cannibalize itself.

Xpliskin

That chick is crazy hot, got that bitch followed on twitter fo sho doe.
tumblr_m5071i4NCn1qj3ir1.gif

This troll again, I'll play along.
Thanks for those excellent hands-on expressions. This game does suck ass. Share with us how you would make a scary game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Don't say that or you'll start believing it. They are two different worlds and ideas. Stop the hate it's only the 11th.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

Foggy

For some reason this isn't something I considered. Damn, that does sound a bit disappointing, as you said the entire reason that mechanic worked in REmake was because you were going through some of the rooms half a dozen times. Does it function differently or something though? Crimson heads wouldn't come back until much later iirc but if the enemies in TEW are on timers or something and they revive in real time then I could see it being semi-useful in that case.

Maybe I'm crazy and not remember it correctly, but I thought they came back much quicker than Crimson heads. I could have sworn I watched the main Twitch stream where gstaff "killed" a guy, ran around and picked up an item from the room, and then the dead guy popped back up and was really aggressive. I'm curious if anyone tested how this mechanic actually works.

Patroclos

Banned
MyEpitomeCliché;133882910 said:
Ghastly:
-Those goddamn black bars. Hate 'em. I really wish they could be turned off.

Thanks for the impressions. This is honestly holding me back, I expected bad voice acting and translation, doesn't feel right without those to me for survival horror, lol.

How is replay value? Challenge rooms or anything that lets you play with the weapons? Is new game+ just replaying it on a harder difficulty? So torn.

I never found the RE series scary. Manhunt was my scariest game ever by leaps and bounds, everything from the faux John Carpenter soundtrack to the feeling of being hunted was so fucking awesome in that game. The world was sadly not ready. End game spoiler;
Piggsy was fucking terrifying...

How would you compare the game to Manhunt? Anyone who has played?

Currently watching some streams; it's odd - with YouTube, the sound is constantly going in and out, and there's a lot of screen tearing (don't remember which version). While on Twitch, during gameplay, it keeps cutting from frame to frame. But the thing is it's being played live. How is that possible?

Gamefly just shipped my ps4 copy :D. Can't wait to play it, especially if driveclub servers are still down by tuesday lol.

Me too! I get so excited when they ship on Saturday because it means I should have it by release day. Except for Destiny. Which took an infuriating five-six days to ship. That's never happened before though so I'm chocking it up to a one-time error on the part of the postal service. If it happens again I'll be contacting their customer service. It's not Gamefly's fault (they sent Destiny the Monday before release) but it's burning through my subscription days for something that's supposed to ship in two days.

Majora

Chapter 5 was probably the best so far and a few bits were quite scary but the framerate in one of the big encounters was horrible. I'm not a framerate expert but I'd guess it was low to mid 20s for the entire battle. PS4 version. Pretty disappointed they couldn't get this even close to locked at 30.

jacobeid

Banned
Me too! I get so excited when they ship on Saturday because it means I should have it by release day. Except for Destiny. Which took an infuriating five-six days to ship. That's never happened before though so I'm chocking it up to a one-time error on the part of the postal service. If it happens again I'll be contacting their customer service. It's not Gamefly's fault (they sent Destiny the Monday before release) but it's burning through my subscription days for something that's supposed to ship in two days.

The same thing has been happening to me for several months. I live in Columbus and my shipping times from Kansas City and Seattle are actually faster than my primary center...in Pittsburgh...a three-hour drive away. Most recently with Forza Horizon 2, but I've had several titles I believed to be lost in the mail only to show up 7-10 days later.

Don't even bother with customer service. They're robots and don't help at all. Even after a two and a half week shipping time they basically told me to shove it.

Karak

Game is avaiable at GamesCastle Hamburg.

Played through to Chapter 9, currently played 5 hours. Playing on middle difficulty.

Ammo is quiet rare but when shit happens you always have things to kill these monsters. Playing the PS3 version... it's bad. Framedrops everywhere, resolution is crap, game looks... not that good, texture popups. :(

Monster designs are very nice, action is cool and the environments give you cool tools. Gore is 10/10, story is okaish and full of mindfucks.

I played every Resident Evil, Amnesia, Alien and many other Horror games or Survival games like the Last of Us. Shooting feels good, menus look good and the way to upgrade things is good too.

Game is a good 8/10, but nothing... GOTY worthy, but nice to play once imo (be reminded that I have not finished it yet).

Spoiler for monster type:

P.S.
I hate invisible enemies
Hey thanks for this. Game seems to be available many places actually. I may try to go pick up a copy this morning and test my luck.

Chapter 5 was probably the best so far and a few bits were quite scary but the framerate in one of the big encounters was horrible. I'm not a framerate expert but I'd guess it was low to mid 20s for the entire battle. PS4 version. Pretty disappointed they couldn't get this even close to locked at 30.

Oh no :(

Hearing about these frame rate issues is disappointing. What does it mean for the PC version :(

kick51

Banned
This troll again, I'll play along.
Thanks for those excellent hands-on expressions. This game does suck ass. Share with us how you would make a scary game.

Really? For simply being turned off by impressions and reviews so far and not being 100% aboard the hype train? You realize that it's bad to blindly worship the game too. It's apparently to the point where you've lost objectivity and start calling people "troll" because they're not right there next to you spinning every potential flaw and cumming over every trailer and making cute little uniform avatars advertising the game. And now a pre-requisite of not being impressed is that you have to be able to come up with a better horror game...amazing.

I waited to read impressions and reviews before commenting on it, like people would ideally do before signing their souls over. I'm going to keep reading them through post-launch and maybe eventually play the game, when I get the need for a horror TPS again. Did I say it's a bad game or post a million times antagonizing the thread? Is it really bad to factor in the comparisons to RE4 that everybody else who has written impressions so far has mentioned? No, I didn't and it's not.

So, please, don't call me troll, fanboy.

Don't say that or you'll start believing it. They are two different worlds and ideas. Stop the hate it's only the 11th.

how was my comment even remotely hateful?

Really? For simply being turned off by impressions and reviews so far and not being 100% aboard the hype train? You realize that it's bad to blindly worship the game too. It's apparently to the point where you've lost objectivity and start calling people "troll" because they're not right there next to you spinning every potential flaw and cumming over every trailer and making cute little uniform avatars advertising the game. And now a pre-requisite of not being impressed is that you have to be able to come up with a better horror game...amazing.

I waited to read impressions and reviews before commenting on it, like people would ideally do before signing their souls over. I'm going to keep reading them through post-launch and maybe eventually play the game, when I get the need for a horror TPS again. Did I say it's a bad game or post a million times antagonizing the thread? Is it really bad to factor in the comparisons to RE4 that everybody else who has written impressions so far has mentioned? No, I didn't and it's not.

So, please, don't call me troll, fanboy.

how was my comment even remotely hateful?
dude, its made by Mikami, how you expect NOT to hear about RE4 is beyond the most advanced reasoning.

Grief.exe

New update to the RE4HD project is impressive to say the least.

http://re4hd.com/

Bad:
-Framerate takes some pretty bad dives in spots
-Textures loading in frequently during cutscenes and area transitions, saw some really muddy textures as well

The textures are just IdTech5 in a nutshell, I am surprised they are having performance problems with all of the consolations they have made.

Ghastly:
-Those goddamn black bars. Hate 'em. I really wish they could be turned off

First thing I'm going to do is remove the black bars and unlock to 60 FPS.

Other dude with the game (mohdfikree) posted a review and score on the official site, i'll post the last part but he breaks it down in categories and gives a final score which i won't post (go read the review and see for yourself):

"The Evil Within is a survival horror game old school Resident Evil fans have been asking for, but still not sure if newcomers will appreciate the game. There were frame rate issues and some visual looked washed out in some (or most depending on what system you’re playing with) moments. The gameplay mechanic could have done better, but it was still decent to play with. The game’s sound design was excellent and so is the soundtrack. The game’s length as long and I appreciated that. Had a great and weird experience with The Evil Within and I look forward for its DLC."

Dude, it's made by a japanese designer/director

They would put boss-fights in their ramen too if it was somehow possible

that was too funny.

Choppy framerate has always been a concern of mine since they first showed footage. It has always looked poor in places and it seems it hasn't been fixed in the final version which is a shame.

Grief.exe

Try to remember what thread you're in and on what forum. Just be glad this isn't TLOU, or you would probably be receiving death threats by now.

Criticizing TLOU on GAF will get you burned at the stake.

I have noticed that pre-release threads can turn into somewhat of a circle jerk as marketing and excitement get the best of people, with any criticisms being ostracized.
For example, when I criticized the new aiming viewpoint yesterday.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I thought about that as well. But the chance of getting it early made the decision a bit easier. That and also the added reasons above. Getting it another time on a sale seems to be a given.

Edit: Languages can be changed in the option menu but the choices are the same (German, French, Spanish, Italian).
Thanks for confirmation. I received it today as well and didn't even open it. I'll either sell it or return it. :-/

Exr

My exact feelings as well. Was really excited for this when the partnership was announced but footage of the game has killed a bit of my hype. More impressions please people.

Top Bottom