• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

this animation

I mean, it probably won't be a dealbreaker for me, but good god. How does this happen.

He looks like he runs on mattresses. Plus the crouch walk is so stiff. The animations have always been the weakest part of the presentation IMO. Shame because Leon is so silky smooth and weighty in RE4.

Not gonna stop me from enjoying it, but things like that do bother me.

Sanctuary

Okay.

I think you enjoyed the game more than you let on and you hate yourself for that, so to save other potential victims you find a way to mention it's overrated nature on every other page hoping to dissuade them from the torment you endure through loving TLOU.
What a brave selfless soul you are!!

Nah. It was really one of those games that I didn't look back on and go "Why did I waste my money and time playing this shit?", nor did I think "Man, that was great, I can't wait to replay it in a few years". If nothing else, my good friend who is firmly stuck in modern AAA land and could never get into the RE games surprisingly enjoyed it. A lot.

On a side note, I need to replay Vanquish.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Okay, this may be a spoiler, but might not be? I'm not sure, it's music related.

My friend just linked me to something, I don't know if he's pulling my leg or what, but but it's supposedly a song from The Evil Within. The recording is in low quality and it's a pretty short loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ykntowfjO0

HOWEVER, the song sounds nothing like anything I've heard in TEW, it sounds like it's
a PSX horror game
song. Is it from something else, is it actually in Evil Within, and if it is, what does that mean?

God dang it, now I'm super curious.

-MD-

Wonder how long this will be?

My purchase will depend on how long the Julie chapters are.

Sounds like 15 hours average. For some reason I've always had it in my head the 2 DLC pieces will be 3 hours each but that's just a guess, we probably won't know for weeks/months.

Sanctuary

Okay, so this is not a spoiler, but might be? I'm not sure, it's music related.

My friend just linked me to something, I don't know if he's pulling my tail or what, but but it's supposedly a song from The Evil Within. The recording is in low quality and it's a pretty short loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ykntowfjO0

HOWEVER, the song sounds nothing like anything I've heard in TEW, it sounds like it's
a PSX horror game
song. Is it from something else, is it actually in Evil Within, and if it is, what does that mean?

God dang it, now I'm super curious.

Depending on how good it is, or what kind of impact it has on the current setting, that could be considered a spoiler.

He looks like he runs on mattresses.

I said earlier in the thread that it looked like he was walking over an air mattress or trampoline.

Well two weeks ago when it was on show at EGX the framerate wasn't great on the PS4 - didn't see the other versions. But considering it was so close to release it was a worry when playing that demo.

psychodino

Neo Member
Agreed, cant wait for tuesday. May stay up for the midnight release haha
At this point, review wise I'm expecting a lot of 6 through high 9s critic wise. From all I've seen, heard, played, read, it sounds like one of those games that won't be a game changer like REmake or RE4, but maybe more like Dino Crisis. Dino Crisis reviewed very all over the place back when it came out, and blended more action with horror to RE's formula. It was still a horror game, but more of an action direction than RE. However, it went on to find people who absolutely adored it and has become something of a cult classic.

I think Evil Within will be all over the place review wise, though I suspect maybe more centered around 8's. Some will dock it down for some jank the game has and some technical things. Some will rate it higher as they absolutely adored their time with the game and its different from a lot of games that release and really strike it out within certain niche groups. Some will dislike it for not going full-on old-school horror or not being super scary focused like Amnesia or Outlast (not saying that's my definition of super scary, but general opinion). Maybe for some it will have the adverse effect of being liked more by trying things different and with good pacing and design.

My prediction at this point is that the metacritic will probably be somewhere between 7.8 - 8.4, I think I personally am going to love it, and I think it's going to become like Mikami's other games like God Hand and Vanquish where people tell others it's so good and some crowning achievement that does really well at what it tries to be. Some flaws, but worth playing.

My prediction, at least.

PIRL0

Neo Member
performance update on xbox one version with update.. upto chapter 5 everything was fine but in chapter 6 the framrate dipped 5 or 4 times during conabt to mid or low 20s and once in a cut scene.. i hope Bethesda fixes this

Some non-spoiler gifs from very early in the game.

MadeupMealyEel.gif

DenseNervousDoe.gif

ImpoliteBiodegradableBlesbok.gif

PS4 version?

Sanctuary

We can all agree a game as ugly as this has no right dropping frames.

It's not all about graphics bro. Shadows are the real mind killer here.

Isn't that called like the collective unconscious or something? I think I remember my high school psychology teacher talking about some shit like that.

Not sure. According to this, no. Just seems like pattern recognition or simple associations to me. Sometimes things that have always been there just kind of start standing out more to the individual (mostly due to focus), and it appears as though said thing is somehow more prelevant than in the past. It could also just be a coincidece or the time of year etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious

Steez

Man, I feel so blessed that even as primarily a PC gamer, I don't care as much about occasional frame rate dips and muddy textures as you guys, lol.

And for the record: I'm going to play this on PS3.

I had a very in-depth discussion about the tone, pacing, and other stuff about the game with a horror-loving friend who got the game early and has played it almost all the way through to completion. He didn't need to talk about how the game plays as I already knew that from the demo, but I want to paraphrase some points of conversation about the game (no spoilers, just general things).

We were talking about Mikami's games up until now, and what they have in similar and what they have in difference. In particular, we talked about Mikami's horror games, probably understandably. Resident Evil 1, REmake, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil 4. I've always felt that all four/three have some things in common, but all were also very different games that focused on completely different things (except RE1 and REmake, for obvious reasons).

So I was asking as he's late in the game both what he thought of it and what sort of game he thinks it is. His answer was interesting, to the point I want to paraphrase it.

In basic, he says it's like a modern game with old-school tendencies. That was his first reply, and I asked him what he meant by that. He went into it deeper saying that the game at many times has less to do with old-school survival-horror than the game let's on. It has the sort of mechanics that gamers are used too from modern trends; Stealth capabilities and sometimes reliance, crafting things, free movement and camera, some cinematic set-pieces. But it blends these with some old-school game design and theory. Ammo is scarce, the enemies are tough, not everything is trying to be super realistic with things like items are unrealistically large or very game-y situations and environments, the game isn't throwing a ton of enemies at you all the time to keep you entertained. And then this mixed in with the sort of things you expect from a Mikami game, like hammy dialogue, excellent pacing and design, atmosphere.

He also said something interesting. The game shifts tones and moods multiple times through its going time. He's in Chapter 13 right now. He says there's moments that it harkins more to the old school survival-horror of yesteryear, moments that feel more novelty as being designed like old-school horror games. There's moments more designed like Resident Evil 4, with a lot of enemies, encounters and design. But there's a lot of other stuff in there also. There's moments that seem more surreal and like a nightmarish version of the world, ala something like Silent Hill. There's parts that feel more action-y and something in line with Gears of War or F.E.A.R.. And there's other parts too.

He would say that the game doesn't feel exactly like an old-school horror game, but it also feels more like an old-school horror game than most anything that's released recently. He also interestingly says the game shifts more into a horror tone in its second half. There's still action, and over-the-top moments, but he says there's more parts in the second half of the game that tones things down and the game gets weirder. And moments the atmosphere is absolutely oppressive and tense.

However, he said if you want to try and imagine it, basically imagine some recent video game trends (not all, as the game lacks things like QTEs, cover-based shooting, etc), turned it into a horror game that harkens back to various styles it's had in the last 15 or so years, but with Mikami charm.

He likes it a lot, but he thinks the game will be the type people are at first going to want a straight up sequel or something similar to RE4 or REmake and they're going to be disappointed with what is, but if they can let that go there is an excellent, a little janky, but well designed and paced game here that gets better and better the deeper into it you go. He thinks it will find an audience and that it's going to really strike with some players, but is really uncertain how it's going to do with reviewers and mainstream audiences.

This is very interesting, thank you.

The way I hope this goes is that TEW is so well designed it has to review well. Yes there will always be outliers but if this game is any where close to the level of perfect design that RE4 had it should be reviewed high. But it needs to be WOW. And from what you wrote it doesn't sound like your friend is doing backflips for what he played.

Obviously this game cannot replicate that feeling of playing RE4 for the first time, that was a true game changer but it should be a game that blows the player away at how well designed it is.

liquidtmd

Banned
Man, I feel so blessed that even as primarily a PC gamer, I don't care as much about occasional frame rate dips and muddy textures as you guys, lol.

It is disturbing to see a few frame dips (not specifically in this thread per se) become 'OMG lazy fucking devs / It super distracts me, its just become no buy / Im gonna wait till its $2'

A team of creatives have worked diligently for years to make a product which could be the best game ever and a few graphical dips within the 15 hour + product is enough for some gaffers to write off the whole thing.

The real horror will be this game's reviews. I expect a lot of 6 and 7. some 8 and a few 9. I expect it to sit between 72 to 78 on Metacritic.

And you know what ? I'm still buying it. I already know why this game will be criticized. You can bet that some people will criticize the plot, claiming that the game isn't original, taking things from a lot of games such as Resident Evil 4 (lol). And of course, the technical aspect.

And you know what ? I'm still buying it.

Sanctuary

That was easily the strangest post I've read in this thread all day.

It is disturbing to see a few frame dips (not specifically in this thread per se) become 'OMG lazy fucking devs / It super distracts me, its just become no buy / Im gonna wait till its $2'

A team of creatives have worked diligently for years to make a product which could be the best game ever and a few graphical dips within the 15 hour + product is enough for some gaffers to write off the whole thing.

You can't rationally agree with the PC recommendations just to run it at 1080p. We haven't actually seen it yet on a 3gb or less card, but at 30fps and 1080p those recommendations just scream "bad optimization in general" and "bad port of a badly optimized game on a shit engine".

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The real horror will be this game's reviews. I expect a lot of 6 and 7. some 8 and a few 9. I expect it to sit between 72 to 78 on Metacritic.

And you know what ? I'm still buying it. I already know why this game will be criticized. You can bet that some people will criticize the plot, claiming that the game isn't original, taking things from a lot of games such as Resident Evil 4 (lol). And of course, the technical aspect.

And you know what ? I'm still buying it.

If I had to call critic complaints right now:

-Game is too hard
-Checkpoints are unforgiving
-Technical issues (pop-up, some occasions of slow-down)
-Archaic design choices
-Silly/ridiculous plot with hammy/bad voice acting
-Uninspired

Watch it happen.

-MD-

Says the guy who just bought a new graphics card to play the PC version of this game.

iammaduncomfortable2vfdf3.gif

Bought it for Witcher 3 actually, this game just made me buy it sooner.

Still think anyone skipping the game due to minor technical issues is a joke. Really couldn't give two shits if someone cancelled their preorder, I'll enjoy the game for them instead.

Sanctuary

Bought it for Witcher 3 actually, this game just made me buy it sooner.

Still think anyone skipping the game due to minor technical issues is a joke. Really couldn't give two shits if someone cancelled their preorder, I'll enjoy the game for them instead.

I didn't actually know which game you purchased it for (I actually assumed if anything it was TW3 and this was just a happy coincidence). I do wonder though if you would have the same outlook if you had not been able to get a new card.

Bl@de

"bad port of a badly optimized game on a shit engine".

It's a japanese studio tinkering with id tech 5 and bethesda is publishing it ... what did we expect? I am happy if this doesn't blow up my computer or being like the RE4 port (the original one with no mouse support, broken lightning and all the glory).

-MD-

I didn't actually know which game you purchased it for (I actually assumed if anything it was TW3 and this was just a happy coincidence). I do wonder though if you would have the same outlook if you had not been able to get a new card.

I would. I played TLOU at launch and never once griped about the technical issues and that game was 26 frames a lot of the time.

I also fully planned on doing my first playthrough of TEW on a 2GB 660ti, my 970 came a week early and I was only notified about it yesterday.

Edit: I shouldn't have used the word preorder in my previous post, I don't fault anyone for not preordering the game. I was talking about people (if any, was just responding to liquidtmd) that have made up their mind to skip the game already because of said issues.

At this point, review wise I'm expecting a lot of 6 through high 9s critic wise. From all I've seen, heard, played, read, it sounds like one of those games that won't be a game changer like REmake or RE4, but maybe more like Dino Crisis. Dino Crisis reviewed very all over the place back when it came out, and blended more action with horror to RE's formula. It was still a horror game, but more of an action direction than RE. However, it went on to find people who absolutely adored it and has become something of a cult classic.

I think Evil Within will be all over the place review wise, though I suspect maybe more centered around 8's. Some will dock it down for some jank the game has and some technical things. Some will rate it higher as they absolutely adored their time with the game and its different from a lot of games that release and really strike it out within certain niche groups. Some will dislike it for not going full-on old-school horror or not being super scary focused like Amnesia or Outlast (not saying that's my definition of super scary, but general opinion). Maybe for some it will have the adverse effect of being liked more by trying things different and with good pacing and design.

My prediction at this point is that the metacritic will probably be somewhere between 7.8 - 8.4, I think I personally am going to love it, and I think it's going to become like Mikami's other games like God Hand and Vanquish where people tell others it's so good and some crowning achievement that does really well at what it tries to be. Some flaws, but worth playing.

My prediction, at least.

This is all pretty much what I'm thinking too. I expect a lot of 8's, a few 9's and a small handful of lower scores.

Bl@de

If I had to call critic complaints right now:

-Game is too hard
-Technical issues (pop-up, some occasions of slow-down)
-Archaic design choices
-Uninspired

Watch it happen.

jup ... just how I like it. 10/10 ... although I doubt someone will ever reach classic RE1 voice acting glory (which I love, takes off the tension from alle the spooky things^^).

-MD-

although I doubt someone will ever reach classic RE1 voice acting glory.

I replied to someone awhile back about someone doing a new game on the level of RE1's legendary voices. Not sure if it was you or not but that'd be amazing.

-MD-

Is
Nightmare
difficulty unlocked straight away? I might very well make that my first playthrough.

It's unlocked after you finish on survival or casual, unfortunately.

-Game is too hard
-Archaic design choices

These are all positives to me but yeah that's a given.

Bl@de

I replied to someone awhile back about someone doing a new game on the level of RE1's legendary voices. Not sure if it was you or not but that'd be amazing.

Yeah I think we briefly talked about it. But I doubt anybody would appreciate like the old RE fans. Most people would throw the game away after the first cutscene.

EDIT: It was never really bad for me because when I played RE for the first time I didn't understand english yet and only read subtitles. So it seemed all very dramatic and not funny at all. There was no sandwich relief after the action...

Top Bottom