• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

antitrop

What the fuck.

I'm hoping they can get the 60fps definitive PC version up on PS4/XB1 sometime next year, after the REmake or whatever.

There really should be no excuse for not having played it. It's like Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. It's a game worth having an opinion on.

Stiler

I can't be the only one that didn't like RE4.

Mainly because I absolutely loved RE1 and 2 and felt 4 just took the series into a very "Action" oriented direction, not to mention the horrible horrible controls and other issues it had.

It didn't really scare me or give a sense of tension/fear that RE1/2 did for me.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm hoping they can get the 60fps definitive PC version up on PS4/XB1 sometime next year, after the REmake or whatever.

There really should be no excuse for not having played it. It's like Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. It's a game worth having an opinion on.
I've been wanting that shit on PS4 since it was announced. I need RE4 in 1080/60.

-MD-

I can't be the only one that didn't like RE4.

Mainly because I absolutely loved RE1 and 2 and felt 4 just took the series into a very "Action" oriented direction, not to mention the horrible horrible controls and other issues it had.

It didn't really scare me or give a sense of tension/fear that RE1/2 did for me.

I dislike it for that reason and consider it a poor RE game but on its own it's excellent.

I had no problems with the controls.

JayEH

I beat RE4 for the first time last month in anticipation for this game.

Side note, does anybody know what time on Sunday preloads usually go up on PSN?

The Hermit

tf54eNG.gif

(The actual line is "Where's everyone going? Bingo?", in case you've never played RE4, before)

I knew I wasn't going crazy, he never said tango in the original quote.

Stiler

I dislike it for that reason and consider it a poor RE game but on its own it's excellent.

I had no problems with the controls.

Well I played it on pc (not gamecube) and the controls were terrible for the pc port.

You couldn't use the mouse to aim.

Heh. I thought wanting Capcom to port RE4 to the PS4 would be a rather unpopular opinion given they've ported the game to who knows how many consoles/systems as of now.

It's good to see there is a market for this and I hope Capcom ports it over to the PS4...and then they can do the same with Resident Evil 0 and I would have succesfully triple dipped on each one RE1, RE4 and RE0 ;)

antitrop

Well I played it on pc (not gamecube) and the controls were terrible for the pc port.

I played the 2014 PC version with an Xbox One controller, I think I used Type B controls. Played perfectly.

I have this baseless theory that the new PC version is more or less a guinea pig that's being used to work all the 60FPS kinks out before re-releasing it on next-gen. Hopeful, I know.

I think they only haven't announced it yet, because they already have REmakester (??? WTF are we calling this thing?) in the pipeline.

-MD-

I played on PC too but used a dualshock 4. I play most stuff on a mouse but I knew it was a gamepad kinda game going into it.

Also played it back at launch with a gamecube controller and on 360.

StuBurns

Banned
Obviously Capcom have spammed RE4 over the years, but I'd happily dip again day one, no question. I want it on every generation.

-MD-

Obviously Capcom have spammed RE4 over the years, but I'd happily dip again day one, no question. I want it on every generation.

I'm just glad we're getting the GOAT Resident Evil game on PC finally next year. I've been waiting forever.

antitrop

Heh. I thought wanting Capcom to port RE4 to the PS4 would be a rather unpopular opinion given they've ported the game to who knows how many consoles/systems as of now.

It's good to see there is a market for this and I hope Capcom ports it over to the PS4...and then they can do the same with Resident Evil 0 and I would have succesfully triple dipped on each one RE1, RE4 and RE0 ;)

The PC version is definitive, and worth porting to current gen consoles, because it has the previously GameCube-exclusive shimmering effect or whatever the fuck it is (it looks much nicer than without), and it's the only version that's sixty eff pee ess (except for the rifle, boo).

-MD-

The PC version is definitive, and worth porting to current gen consoles, because it has the previously GameCube exclusive shimmering effect or whatever the fuck it is (it looks much nicer than without), and obviously sixty eff pee ess.

Shame about the rifle reload though.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
RE4, I remember it fondly <3 one of the first RE games I played.

I remember walking into EB and there was demo for RE4. They let you have it free with the preorder. I remember the map was completely different from the final version. It was a cloth map in the menu.

My first was the original. I rented it quite a few times.

Revelations was the best RE since 4.

That's saying absolutely nothing though.

Yeah I was gonna say that lol, so you got me there. Kinda sad honestly, that's why in a way I hate 4, because it started the action oriented trend of the series. I'll always be a old school RE fan. Definitely getting that REmake HD day one on pc. At least I can look forward to that.

-MD-

Yeah I was gonna say that lol, so you got me there. Kinda sad honestly, that's why in a way I hate 4, because it started the action oriented trend of the series. I'll always be a old school RE fan. Definitely getting that REmake HD day one on pc.

+1

OH GOD, if RE4 ever gets announced for PS4 ill gladly buy it for like the billionth time (Gamecube, Wii, PS2, and PS3)

How does RE4 holds up on PS3? I've been seriously thinking to buy it this december since it's been far too long since I played it and I no longer have my GC version. Would you recommend it?

10+ years ago we'd all be begging for something like this. Dodge use to mean a game was easier to play. It's safe to assume this is better than Blue Stinger and some of us were anticipating that game.

There's such a large facet of what you can throw into a group of games. You should just accept a certain element as a new breed instead of grouping everything together.

BLUESTINGER!!!!!!!

So glad this is finally coming out though, been wanting a true successor to RE4 for a long time. The latest trailer makes the various traps and environments looks incredibly tense. So many horrible things to dodge and avoid! The head hallway is neat.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hmmmm, never played it. I've heard mixed things. I'm sure the PC version has to be cheap and patched up, by now.

It's a handheld RE. It is episodic and it's about average. I wouldn't force you to play it. I do however think the second one might have more going for it. Early 2015 isn't much of a wait either.

-MD-

It's a handheld RE. It is episodic and it's about average. I wouldn't force you to play it. I do however think the second one might have more going for it. Early 2015 isn't much of a wait either.

I'll probably end up checking out the sequel eventually but mostly cause it has Claire and Barry in it. Definitely won't be full price though. $5-10 is my limit for modern Resident Evil.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I had a very in-depth discussion about the tone, pacing, and other stuff about the game with a horror-loving friend who got the game early and has played it almost all the way through to completion. He didn't need to talk about how the game plays as I already knew that from the demo, but I want to paraphrase some points of conversation about the game (no spoilers, just general things).

We were talking about Mikami's games up until now, and what they have in similar and what they have in difference. In particular, we talked about Mikami's horror games, probably understandably. Resident Evil 1, REmake, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil 4. I've always felt that all four/three have some things in common, but all were also very different games that focused on completely different things (except RE1 and REmake, for obvious reasons).

So I was asking as he's late in the game both what he thought of it and what sort of game he thinks it is. His answer was interesting, to the point I want to paraphrase it.

In basic, he says it's like a modern game with old-school tendencies. That was his first reply, and I asked him what he meant by that. He went into it deeper saying that the game at many times has less to do with old-school survival-horror than the game let's on. It has the sort of mechanics that gamers are used too from modern trends; Stealth capabilities and sometimes reliance, crafting things, free movement and camera, some cinematic set-pieces. But it blends these with some old-school game design and theory. Ammo is scarce, the enemies are tough, not everything is trying to be super realistic with things like items are unrealistically large or very game-y situations and environments, the game isn't throwing a ton of enemies at you all the time to keep you entertained. And then this mixed in with the sort of things you expect from a Mikami game, like hammy dialogue, excellent pacing and design, atmosphere.

He also said something interesting. The game shifts tones and moods multiple times through its going time. He's in Chapter 13 right now. He says there's moments that it harkins more to the old school survival-horror of yesteryear, moments that feel more novelty as being designed like old-school horror games. There's moments more designed like Resident Evil 4, with a lot of enemies, encounters and design. But there's a lot of other stuff in there also. There's moments that seem more surreal and like a nightmarish version of the world, ala something like Silent Hill. There's parts that feel more action-y and something in line with Gears of War or F.E.A.R.. And there's other parts too.

He would say that the game doesn't feel exactly like an old-school horror game, but it also feels more like an old-school horror game than most anything that's released recently. He also interestingly says the game shifts more into a horror tone in its second half. There's still action, and over-the-top moments, but he says there's more parts in the second half of the game that tones things down and the game gets weirder. And moments the atmosphere is absolutely oppressive and tense.

However, he said if you want to try and imagine it, basically imagine some recent video game trends (not all, as the game lacks things like QTEs, cover-based shooting, etc), turned it into a horror game that harkens back to various styles it's had in the last 15 or so years, but with Mikami charm.

He likes it a lot, but he thinks the game will be the type people are at first going to want a straight up sequel or something similar to RE4 or REmake and they're going to be disappointed with what is, but if they can let that go there is an excellent, a little janky, but well designed and paced game here that gets better and better the deeper into it you go. He thinks it will find an audience and that it's going to really strike with some players, but is really uncertain how it's going to do with reviewers and mainstream audiences.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I had a very in-depth discussion about the tone, pacing, and other stuff about the game with a horror-loving friend who got the game early and has played it almost all the way through to completion. He didn't need to talk about how the game plays as I already knew that from the demo, but I want to paraphrase some points of conversation about the game (no spoilers, just general things).

We were talking about Mikami's games up until now, and what they have in similar and what they have in difference. In particular, we talked about Mikami's horror games, probably understandably. Resident Evil 1, REmake, Dino Crisis, and Resident Evil 4. I've always felt that all four/three have some things in common, but all were also very different games that focused on completely different things (except RE1 and REmake, for obvious reasons).

So I was asking as he's late in the game both what he thought of it and what sort of game he thinks it is. His answer was interesting, to the point I want to paraphrase it.

In basic, he says it's like a modern game with old-school tendencies. That was his first reply, and I asked him what he meant by that. He went into it deeper saying that the game at many times has less to do with old-school survival-horror than the game let's on. It has the sort of mechanics that gamers are used too from modern trends; Stealth capabilities and sometimes reliance, crafting things, free movement and camera, some cinematic set-pieces. But it blends these with some old-school game design and theory. Ammo is scarce, the enemies are tough, not everything is trying to be super realistic with things like items are unrealistically large or very game-y situations and environments, the game isn't throwing a ton of enemies at you all the time to keep you entertained. And then this mixed in with the sort of things you expect from a Mikami game, like hammy dialogue, excellent pacing and design, atmosphere.

He also said something interesting. The game shifts tones and moods multiple times through its going time. He's in Chapter 13 right now. He says there's moments that it harkins more to the old school survival-horror of yesteryear, moments that feel more novelty as being designed like old-school horror games. There's moments more designed like Resident Evil 4, with a lot of enemies, encounters and design. But there's a lot of other stuff in there also. There's moments that seem more surreal and like a nightmarish version of the world, ala something like Silent Hill. There's parts that feel more action-y and something in line with Gears of War or F.E.A.R.. And there's other parts too.

He would say that the game doesn't feel exactly like an old-school horror game, but it also feels more like an old-school horror game than most anything that's released recently. He also interestingly says the game shifts more into a horror tone in its second half. There's still action, and over-the-top moments, but he says there's more parts in the second half of the game that tones things down and the game gets weirder. And moments the atmosphere is absolutely oppressive and tense.

However, he said if you want to try and imagine it, basically imagine some recent video game trends (not all, as the game lacks things like QTEs, cover-based shooting, etc), turned it into a horror game that harkens back to various styles it's had in the last 15 or so years, but with Mikami charm.

He likes it a lot, but he thinks the game will be the type people are at first going to want a straight up sequel or something similar to RE4 or REmake and they're going to be disappointed with what is, but if they can let that go there is an excellent, a little janky, but well designed and paced game here that gets better and better the deeper into it you go. He thinks it will find an audience and that it's going to really strike with some players, but is really uncertain how it's going to do with reviewers and mainstream audiences.

oh...i see what's happening here. This is interesting. Yeah thats it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'll probably end up checking out the sequel eventually but mostly cause it has Claire and Barry in it. Definitely won't be full price though. $5-10 is my limit for modern Resident Evil.

You should be supporting them more. The addition to Claire has always benefited the series. She is their saving grace after Leon has been in the spot light for so long.

Top Bottom