• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Audioboxer

It's not going to have Deadly Premonition levels of polish.

I know it'll be much better than DP lol (on polish front). But it does look a bit janky and last gen. Who am I kidding though, I enjoy EU RPGs like Gothic and Risen, and they are kings of jank.

I think I'm just uncertain of where the game sits, more RE survival horror, or more RE4 action. Think it's the former, but I've not done a lot of reading or watching till recent weeks.

Xpliskin

I'm getting excited for this game, but I'm going to hold off for the reviews.

Argh, to pre-order or not!

I have a feeling this will get panned in reviews, but so was DC recently and besides having to shelve it for online play just now, I enjoy the driving.

Give in.
Worst case you'll shell out 40$ for a great action-horror game with slight fps dips.

edit:
More like £38 :p ($60)

But yeah it's good timing for the release considering Halloween, and the PS4 having a pretty small library. I think there's this and LBP3 being the only other purchases of this year for me (just purchased DC).

Is that expensive in UK pound ? "38" sounds low. Then again I paid 42 EUR for my collector/pre-order/mikamiinside edition.

Audioboxer

Give in.
Worst case you'll shell out 40$ for a great action-horror game with slight fps dips.

More like £38 :p ($60)

But yeah it's good timing for the release considering Halloween, and the PS4 having a pretty small library. I think there's this and LBP3 being the only other purchases of this year for me (just purchased DC).

Sanctuary

I know it'll be much better than DP lol (on polish front). But it does look a bit janky and last gen. Who am I kidding though, I enjoy EU RPGs like Gothic and Risen, and they are kings of jank.

I think I'm just uncertain of where the game sits, more RE survival horror, or more RE4 action. Think it's the former, but I've not done a lot of reading or watching till recent weeks.

So far it seems like all cross gen games suffer from the same problem. Look at Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Watch Dogs, Thief, this and a handful of shooters. It's not really much different from all of the console to PC ports from last gen though.

Xpliskin

By the way I heard there's already a patch out, version 1.01 .

Bethesda, where's my changelog.

Performance affected ?
More patches coming ?

Lanrutcon

Been watching some German play through the game.

Calling it now: lots of disappointed folks and mediocre reviews because of inflated expectations.

Xpliskin

It isn't a full priced game?

If I got it right, I think It depends on where you buy it ?
That was the price at the local game shop chain for the boxed PC version.

Calling it now: lots of disappointing folks and mediocre reviews because of inflated expectations.

*super defense force activate*

I'm still hungover, so I'll just say this: whatever happens, I'm keeping this profile pic.

BUT

What do you get out of watching someone else play through the game

It's boring in my opinion, not saying the game will be citizen kane (there I used those words)

Sanctuary

Calling it now: lots of disappointed folks and mediocre reviews because of inflated expectations.

I just want a good game with an amazing atmosphere. Couldn't care less about the acting or actual story. Outlast wanted to be that game, except it was missing the actual gameplay element.

Lanrutcon

If I got it right, I think It depends on where you buy it ?
That was the price at the local game shop chain for the boxed PC version.

*super defense force activate*

I'm still hungover, so I'll just say this: whatever happens, I'm keeping this profile pic.

BUT

What do you get out of watching someone else play through the game

It's boring in my opinion, not saying the game will be citizen kane (there I used those words)

Depends on the game. Like, Aliens: Isolation doesn't look like my kind of thing, so I watched a Let's Play. Evil Within looks like my kind of thing (yay RE!), but I wasn't sure if I should buy it at full price so I watched a stream to see how the game is. I turn to third parties more and more these days to get accurate impressions of new games, since professional games journalism is a clusterfuck.

Depends on the game. Like, Aliens: Isolation doesn't look like my kind of thing, so I watched a Let's Play. Evil Within looks like my kind of thing (yay RE!), but I wasn't sure if I should buy it at full price so I watched a stream to see how the game is. I turn to third parties more and more these days to get accurate impressions of new games, since professional games journalism is a clusterfuck.

If you're looking for an RE game similar to RE1-3, you'll be very disappointed. I've watched hours of the game being streamed on twitch, and it's very similar to RE4, and even 5, and 6. It's got some horror elements, but it's very action oriented at times as well. Not going to tell you if my impressions are that the game is bad or not, since quality is subjective.. but keep your expectations in check.

ASIS

So with the release almost at hand. I want to do something a bit different. I want to play the entire game without reading a single piece of review or player impressions from now on, not even scores. I would like to see how different my view will be compared to the general consensus. If there are more people who are interested in partaking this experience. I could make a thread specifically for this. The thread will not be entered until you feel you are done with the game. You enter, immediately hit the reply button and write your impressions. after you do so you will then be allowed to read other people's impressions of the game and compare that with your own.

I think it will be an interesting experiment given how varied the impressions are. But I also understand that part of the fun of a game is sharing your thoughts while playing. So I would understand if people don't want to do this. Should that be the case. I'll still go along with this mentality but I'll just post my impressions in this thread.

Quoting for the new page, just for people to see :p

Sanctuary

Pre-ordered, and I'm going to do my best to just play and ignore reviews initially.

I don't understand the point of even caring about reviews of a game you've pre-ordered. Day one reviews are for games you're unsure of and didn't pre-order.
That's one benefit to PC gaming I guess. With sites like GMG, you can get 20% - 30% off of the normal price, so if you ended up "wasting" your money, at least you wasted less.

Honestly, the game will have to have some serious flaws for those who actually liked RE4 (more did than not), the previous RE games, Silent Hill and Dead Space to not like it. We aren't exactly drowning in options here.

Majora

Up to chapter 10 and completely stuck on a boss. No clue what to do here.

By the way, the last few chapters have solidified the fact that this is Resident Evil 4.5 or whatever you want to call it. The first three chapters or so, where there's a heavy focus on stealth and limited ammo are a bit misleading really. Once you got past those it's pretty much action all the way apart from a few excursions into surrealism.

If any of you are going into this expecting anything other than Resi 4 with a couple of hours of stealth sections at the beginning, wind back those expectations or you're going to be disappointed. The only real difference is that this is far more consistently horror themed than Resi 4 was.

-MD-

Q7qQRI3.png

lol

Sanctuary

skimmed it as google translate usually translates things poorly but seems like their main complaint was the game being too hard...

All I can say about that is:

Seriously, what the fuck happened to actual gamers in journalism? It's like they are all twenty somethings that didn't really get into games until last gen.

Sanctuary

They also claim that reload takes too long, but by all player accounts so far the reload time is roughly 12 seconds.

I noticed that when SlasherJPC mentioned it and thought it seemed way too long. Hopefully it's not that long on PC, or it gets reduced by at least a few seconds across all platforms with a patch.
I never played Wolfenstein, so I don't know how long the loading times were for that.

SDCowboy

See, this is the crap I complain about with many game reviews lately. Too many reviews are on what the game isn't rather than what it is. Docking points because the game is old school when it's supposed to be an oldschool game is just flat out idiotic.

-MD-

I noticed that when SlasherJPC mentioned it and thought it seemed way too long. Hopefully it's not that long on PC, or it gets reduced by at least a few seconds across all platforms with a patch.

12 seconds isn't bad, it's like 3 door animations in RE lol.

But yeah hopefully it's even shorter on PC.

I think 12 seconds is fine, it's enough for you to compose yourself and think up of another plan of approach.

Alternatively you can take it as the game is too damn engaging that anytime you're not playing feels like an eternity =p

Sanctuary

Look at what they did like though...

we love

It should not have been that RE5 , right?
Moods and incredible atmospheres.
Some passages extremely beautiful .
Mechanical interesting fight.
Several fights anthology boss!

I think the first comment is suggesting that this is what RE5 should have been. If you look at their pro's and con's together, it seems like it's going to be pretty fucking amazing...with some really rough spots.

SDCowboy

What on fuckety fuck.

Too oldschool - waaah waaah when you die you get punished for it?

This is one of the idiots who probably knock points off racers because 'derp theyre not open world'

What I don't get is what did they expect to happen when you die? Get warped to the next part? What game doesn't make you retry parts after death?

I'll have to see if I can find the footage, but it's when Leon and Ada are together (I think), and they run into the area with the ladders, catwalks and ventillation fans. They start at a specific ground level, go up a ladder, then go up another ladder, walk through the fan to drop down a ladder that looked to be exactly the same height as the one they went up, yet they are magically at ground level with the previous room.

And the reason I say it's ground level and not on a higher floor, is because when backtracking it connects to the door that led to the previous room.

Whogivesashit.gif

Xpliskin

-Much die, not like.
-No objective marker, what is this ? 1999 ?

If you're looking for an RE game similar to RE1-3, you'll be very disappointed. I've watched hours of the game being streamed on twitch, and it's very similar to RE4, and even 5, and 6. It's got some horror elements, but it's very action oriented at times as well. Not going to tell you if my impressions are that the game is bad or not, since quality is subjective.. but keep your expectations in check.

I did the same for Destiny. But for a story and surprise driven game like this it kindof ruins the experience, even if you do decide the buy it later on.

The director himself said "RE1-3" era mechanics do not please modern audiences. This is why the game doesn't try to do that.
It was in a PCGamer interview iirc.

Quoting for the new page, just for people to see :p
I wish I could join you but I fear it's already too late.

Sanctuary

Whogivesashit.gif

Whyfuckingbothercommentingthen.gif

Had you actually read the previous posts, all I said was that I hope there wasn't any RE2 level design blunders like that.

People tend to grasp surface-level, tangible details when critiquing media. What they've typed is "I don't like the game because reasons X and Y". And, yeah, you might refute the reasons listed, but the "I don't like the game" is undeniable. Successfully refuting X and Y only reveals a lazy writer, it doesn't inherently imply any emotional dishonesty.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that dinging a game in a review for not being something is often just an inarticulate way of describing an emotion. So don't rage against reviewers too hard, in that sense. I mean, call them out for being questionable writers who didn't give you much to think about, but don't act like pulling those lines from the review would have resulted in a different qualitative assessment of the game. It'd only have resulted in different words supporting the same assessment.

Am I making sense? I'm tired.

Not really. The reviewer is criticizing the game for being what it wanted to be in the first place. That's beyond translating "a feeling" into text. It's like reviewing an FPS when you don't like the genre and saying that because it's an FPS your overall opinion/score is going to be lower.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
See, this is the crap I complain about with many reviews lately. Too many reviews are on what the game isn't rather than what it is. Docking points because the game is old school when it's supposed to be an oldschool game is just flat out idiotic.
People tend to grasp surface-level, tangible details when critiquing media. What they've typed is "I don't like the game because reasons X and Y". And, yeah, you might refute the reasons listed, but the "I don't like the game" is undeniable. Successfully refuting X and Y only reveals a lazy writer, it doesn't inherently imply any emotional dishonesty.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that dinging a game in a review for not being something is often just an inarticulate way of describing an emotion. So don't rage against reviewers too hard, in that sense. I mean, call them out for being questionable writers who didn't give you much to think about, but don't act like pulling those lines from the review would have resulted in a different qualitative assessment of the game. It'd only have resulted in different words supporting the same assessment.

Lanrutcon

I did the same for Destiny. But for a story and surprise driven game like this it kindof ruins the experience, even if you do decide the buy it later on.

From the streams I've watched, this really isn't a story driven game. It's action horror with an almost silent protagonist, jump scares, lethal encounters, tight resource management, virtually no plot and a lot of risk vs. reward exploration.

SDCowboy

I think you may have missed my point. It's not a couple of lines or that one review. Too many game reviews lately are about what a game isn't rather than what it is, with the latter being what a review is supposed to be about. There's too much this game ISN'T this and that, and not enough this game IS xyz. A review is supposed to be on what a game or product IS. Reviewing on what something isn't is just sloppy reviewing. That's like a car review saying a Honda Accord is crap because it's not a Rolls Royce.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not really. The reviewer is criticizing the game for being what it wanted to be in the first place. That's beyond translating "a feeling" into text. It's like reviewing an FPS when you don't like the genre and saying that because it's an FPS your overall opinion/score is going to be lower.
So the argument here, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that you can't criticise media for being what its authors intended it to be?

Sanctuary

You realize, it's pretty silly to get worked up over negatives that you find to be a positive, especially when what they considered to be positive is pretty fucking important.

Top Bottom