• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

-MD-

Yeah I think we briefly talked about it. But I doubt anybody would appreciate like the old RE fans. Most people would throw the game away after the first cutscene.

EDIT: It was never really bad for me because when I played RE for the first time I didn't understand english yet and only read subtitles. So it seemed all very dramatic and not funny at all. There was no sandwich relief after the action...

I was very young when I played RE1, like 9-10 years old maybe but of course I let the voices slide as I didn't know any better.

However many years later it's a mixture of nostalgia and perfect terribleness, it's just so good.

Hopefully I suffer enough on survival difficulty.

Let's hope :)

Lucent

Resident Evil was the first game I played where they had voice acting in it and I was fairly young. I was blown away by that fact and never realized how "bad" the voice acting was until later. I was just like "wow. WOW! They talk!" lol

Sanctuary

I replied to someone awhile back about someone doing a new game on the level of RE1's legendary voices. Not sure if it was you or not but that'd be amazing.

Lol man. The first ten minutes of dialogue from RE are the best ever, along with the infamous sandwich.

Ah, well there was more of course. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41TAy7RfVI (the "forest" scene is fucking hilarious)

Another one that always stood out to me was when Jill says "Where on Earth have you been?". She seems to switch accents.

I have played two chapters (Xbox360 version) and chapter 2 atmosphere is amazing. Atmosphere and gunplay are great, but graphically, it varies from bad to decent. I don't know why they thought using this engine is a good thing, UE3 or CryEngine 3 are more capable and runs much better on last and current gen consoles. Cut scenes looks bad. Black bars are annoying too, I didn't feel this annoyed by them in Dragon's Dogma. I'm liking the game, but technical issues are dragging the game down.

Resident Evil was the first game I played where they had voice acting in it and I was fairly young. I was blown away by that fact and never realized how "bad" the voice acting was until later. I was just like "wow. WOW! They talk!" lol

I remember (at the time an almost young adult mind you) being genuinely scared at the line "Blood... I hope this isn't.... CHRIS' blood." Amazing how the industry and our standards have changed^^
M-M-Megaman. Need to stop Dr. Whiwwy^^

Sanctuary

I remember (at the time an almost young adult mind you) being genuinely scared at the line "Blood... I hope this isn't.... CHRIS' blood." Amazing how the industry and our standards have changed^^
M-M-Megaman. Need to stop Dr. Whiwwy^^

That line was so poorly delivered, and Barry was obviously so not all there, that all I could think was "Blood? I hope this is not MY blood!".

OMFG

Daffy Duck

Man, I feel so blessed that even as primarily a PC gamer, I don't care as much about occasional frame rate dips and muddy textures as you guys, lol.

And for the record: I'm going to play this on PS3.

From playing the PS3 version yesterday you're going to have a horrible time. The game was way too juddery for me.

Lucent

That line was so poorly delivered, and Barry was obviously so not all there, that all I could think was "Blood? I hope this is not MY blood!".

OMFG

lol! -Barry walks towards Jill, ignoring the decomposing giant snake he steps over- "Have you found anything interesting?!"

Man they had some bad lines in that game. Not just badly performed, but badly written.

I like how Barry examined that blood though. I was like um...are you just gonna look at it? Are you gonna be able to tell if it's Chris' blood by staring at it? Okay, I guess I'll wander off alone in this dark mansion after we JUST found blood on the ground.

From the earlier user impressions, I believe it's safe to say to play this on survival or Akuma mode to get the authentic experience just like TLOU.

Gurish

Hi guys! I wasn't here for the last couple of days, I have a couple of questions please:

1) How are the impressions on this game, is it going to be one of Mikami's greatest or i should lower my expectations?

2) Can i still pre order it on PSN with 10% discount? Can I preload it now?

Thank you all, if you can update me on anything important that I've missed in the last couple of days I'll appreciate it.

Sanctuary

lol! -Barry walks towards Jill, ignoring the decomposing giant snake he steps over- "Have you found anything interesting?!"

Man they had some bad lines in that game. Not just badly performed, but badly written.

I like how Barry examined that blood though. I was like um...are you just gonna look at it? Are you gonna be able to tell if it's Chris' blood by staring at it? Okay, I guess I'll wander off alone in this dark mansion after we JUST found blood on the ground.

The rope dialogue and scene right after is about as bad.
Barry: How about going down to check by yourself (wink wink)? I have a rope here.
Jill: Oh do you? Well then I'll try to go down using the rope!

Jill goes down using the rope that mysteriously drops down to her feet. Instead of tossing it back up like any fucking human with common sense would do, she waits for Barry to leave her alone to randomly rummage through this giant mansion in search of another rope. What's she going to do if Mr. Butterfingers drops the next rope?

JimPanzer

Hi guys! I wasn't here for the last couple of days, I have a couple of questions please:

1) How are the impressions on this game, is it going to be one of Mikami's greatest or i should lower my expectations?

2) Can i still pre order it on PSN with 10% discount? Can I preload it now?

Thank you all, if you can update me on anything important that I've missed in the last couple of days I'll appreciate it.

1. From what I get it's a good game, but that's it. Nothing extraordninary and with a few technical flaws here and there (framerate dips, animations, texture pop-ins). Definitely not one of his greatest (at least this is what I get from all the impressions)
2. You can still pre-order with the 10% discount, preload should start later today (11:19 AM, Sunday currently here)

The rope dialogue and scene right after is about as bad.
Barry: How about going down to check by yourself (wink wink)? I have a rope here.
Jill: Oh do you? Well then I'll try to go down using the rope!

Jill goes down using the rope that mysteriously drops down to her feet. Instead of tossing it back up like any fucking human with common sense would do, she waits for Barry to leave her alone to randomly rummage through this giant mansion in search of another rope.

But then you start to realize during the course of the game
that it was intentional, since Barry is clearly working under Wesker.

Sanctuary

But then you start to realize during the course of the game
that it was intentional, since Barry is clearly working under Wesker.

I know, but the entire scene is still just ridiculous. You know why it happens on Barry's end, but not Jill's. I'm not talking about hindsight either. The first time that scene happened I was rolling my eyes.

Bl@de

No matter what you guys say about the sandwich stuff. But the most fucking epic line is Richard when you discover him with Jill.

"This ... house is dangerous.There...are....terrible...DEMONS...ouuuch"

It should be a terrible moment. He's dying, he needs serum ... but that line is so hilarious I always burst out laughing.

Gurish

1. From what I get it's a good game, but that's it. Nothing extraordninary and with a few technical flaws here and there (framerate dips, animations, texture pop-ins). Definitely not one of his greatest (at least this is what I get from all the impressions)
2. You can still pre-order with the 10% discount, preload should start later today (11:19 AM, Sunday currently here)

Thank you very much, bummer about not being one of Mikami's greatest, i was hoping this one can kickstart survival horror again :(

-MD-

From the earlier user impressions, I believe it's safe to say to play this on survival or Akuma mode to get the authentic experience just like TLOU.

Survival is actually normal but yes I agree. Seems the real experience will unlock with nightmare/akumu.

I'm looking forward to that second playthrough.

Thank you very much, bummer about not being one of Mikami's greatest, i was hoping this one can kickstart survival horror again :(

Why do you need it to be the 'greatest' ? That makes it sound like we have good survival horror games all the time and so nothing short of greatest can bring back the genre.

Sanctuary

I hope this game doesn't have any sections that make you go WTF? like the sewer area in RE2. Because I'm not quite sure how that escaped notice. It's something that has always bothered me about the game. Like a huge wart on an otherwise unblemished face.

-MD-

I hope this game doesn't have any sections that make you go WTF? like the sewer area in RE2. Because I'm not quite sure how that escaped notice.

What do you mean? I recently replayed RE2, what was odd about the sewers?

I feel like we should play it first ourselves before throwing full trust in half a dozen dudes on the internet.

Sanctuary

What do you mean? I recently replayed RE2, what was odd about the sewers?

I'll have to see if I can find the footage, but it's when Leon and Ada are together (I think), and they run into the area with the ladders, catwalks and ventillation fans. They start at a specific ground level, go up a ladder, then go up another ladder, walk through the fan to drop down a ladder that looked to be exactly the same height as the one they went up, yet they are magically at ground level with the previous room.

And the reason I say it's ground level and not on a higher floor, is because when backtracking it connects to the door that led to the previous room.

ASIS

So with the release almost at hand. I want to do something a bit different. I want to play the entire game without reading a single piece of review or player impressions from now on, not even scores. I would like to see how different my view will be compared to the general consensus. If there are more people who are interested in partaking this experience. I could make a thread specifically for this. The thread will not be entered until you feel you are done with the game. You enter, immediately hit the reply button and write your impressions. after you do so you will then be allowed to read other people's impressions of the game and compare that with your own.

I think it will be an interesting experiment given how varied the impressions are. But I also understand that part of the fun of a game is sharing your thoughts while playing. So I would understand if people don't want to do this. Should that be the case. I'll still go along with this mentality but I'll just post my impressions in this thread.

-MD-

I'll have to see if I can find the footage, but it's when Leon and Ada are together (I think), and they run into the area with the ladders, catwalks and ventillation fans. They start at a specific ground level, go up a ladder, then go up another ladder, walk through the fan to drop down a ladder that looked to be exactly the same height as the one they went up, yet they are magically at ground level with the previous room.

Lol well if that's true I definitely didn't catch it. Sounds funny though.

Gurish

Why do you need it to be the 'greatest' ? That makes it sound like we have good survival horror games all the time and so nothing short of greatest can bring back the genre.

Because If we want the genre to get back to its glory days we need a AAA game quality wise that will drive the masses, if this game would get a 9.5 for example in MC and will win loads of GOTY awards more people will have to try it and it can rejuvenate the entire genre, it wont happen if it's just OK.

BTW what are the complaints from people's impressions about this game?
At this point i just hope it's a good survival horror game for someone who likes the genre.

Bl@de

So with the release almost at hand. I want to do something a bit different. I want to play the entire game without reading a single piece of review or player impressions from now on, not even scores. I would like to see how different my view will be compared to the general consensus. If there are more people who are interested in partaking this experience. I could make a thread specifically for this. The thread will not be entered until you feel you are done with the game. You enter, immediately hit the reply button and write your impressions. after you do so you will then be allowed to read other people's impressions of the game and compare that with your own.

I think it will be an interesting experiment given how varied the impressions are. But I also understand that part of the fun of a game is sharing your thoughts while playing. So I would understand if people don't want to do this. Should that be the case. I'll still go along with this mentality but I'll just post my impressions in this thread.

Count me in. I always do it like that because people tend to get crazy about little stuff I don't even care. Its just the way I played re4 for the first tome. I want to give TEW the same approach.

Although I certainly will stumble over 1-2 scores when I read about other games. Thats hard to avoid. Because I usually need around 2-3 weeks until I finish a 15h game

ASIS

Count me in. I always do it like that because people tend to get crazy about little stuff I don't even care. Its just the way I played re4 for the first tome. I want to give TEW the same approach.

Although I certainly will stumble over 1-2 scores when I read about other games. Thats hard to avoid. Because I usually need around 2-3 weeks until I finish a 15h game

Obviously some circumstances cannot be avoided. And these rules bear no consequences if you break them. But at least we can put an effort to not click TEW centered threads for instance, stop reading about news, etc. Reducing the information should be very easy, even if one cannot completely eliminate it.

Sanctuary

Lol well if that's true I definitely didn't catch it. Sounds funny though.

Ok, this is actually that part in reverse order I think before it's Leon with Ada escaping together through the same area. And it's not that the ladder seemed the same size as the second they went up, it's less than half the size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiyxwrou0-8&feature=player_detailpage#t=1340

Notice how fucking high up Ada is on the catwalk and the ladder she climbed down to reach it compared to the small ladder she first climbed up. Now watch as she goes down the catwalks, down the second ladder and is magically almost floor level with where Leon is...who wakes up, then runs to the bridge then croc area that leads to where Ada is, even though he never went up or down any ladders.

This ALWAYS bothered me, and I've never seen anyone else mention it. The only explanation is that all of the floors are on a very steep incline, but the camera angle makes them look level. Yeah right.

Bought it for Witcher 3 actually, this game just made me buy it sooner.

Still think anyone skipping the game due to minor technical issues is a joke. Really couldn't give two shits if someone cancelled their preorder, I'll enjoy the game for them instead.

Witcher 3. Rrrrriiiggghhttt.

I'm hoping its a good pc port. That's what I'd like to play it on and not the PS4 if possible. If a 780 won't play this well, steam sale is fine too. I'm waiting for Witcher 3 to get a new card, like a sane person.

gelf

Yeah I think we briefly talked about it. But I doubt anybody would appreciate like the old RE fans. Most people would throw the game away after the first cutscene.

I talked about this with someone here too. I think if you made it clear its a parody it could work. It could be the horror genres Blood Dragon. Though if making it myself I'd make the humour more deadpan then that game.

Phew i just finished Shadow of Mordor, now my full attention is with the game

If I had to call critic complaints right now:

-Game is too hard
-Checkpoints are unforgiving
-Technical issues (pop-up, some occasions of slow-down)
-Archaic design choices
-Silly/ridiculous plot with hammy/bad voice acting
-Uninspired

Watch it happen.

I can understand technical issues and i'm really concerned but i don't get all the others.

Uninspired? in what way?

Regarding the plot part i'm also a bit concerned since none of Mikami previous work was focused on a good plot but with this game it's actually the first time i'm interested in the lore and the enemy/boss design and origins.

ArchAngel

Wow, the more I play, the better it gets. I always loved Mikami games when you level up your abilities and play NG+.
I can feel the Leveldesign gets better and better to me :)

Had no problems with checkpoints. Everything so far is just seconds or 1-2 minutes back after you die.

Wow, the more I play, the better it gets. I always loved Mikami games when you level up your abilities and play NG+.
I can feel the Leveldesign gets better and better to me :)

Had no problems with checkpoints. Everything so far is just seconds or 1-2 minutes back after you die.

Are there weapon upgrades? And if there are is it visible on the gun?

-MD-

This ALWAYS bothered me, and I've never seen anyone else mention it.

I read what you wrote and watched it 4 times but I don't see anything that stands out there, I must be blind or something.

Witcher 3. Rrrrriiiggghhttt.

7HSKjB3.png

Sanctuary

I read what you wrote and watched it 4 times but I don't see anything that stands out there, I must be blind or something.

Look at my edit, watch from the point where Ada goes up the first ladder to when Leon meets up with her. She drops down twice the height she went up, drops down about that same distance a second time, then Leon wakes up, runs entirely level with the area Ada first started out in prior to moving up the first ladder and magically ends up level with where she ended up.

Notice, she's standing at the upper section of the catwalk/bridge that Leon lowers to cross to reach her.

-MD-

Look at my edit, watch from the point where Ada goes up the first ladder to when Leon meets up with her. She drops down twice the height she went up, drops down about that same distance a second time, then Leon wakes up, runs entirely level with the area Ada first started out in prior to moving up the first ladder and magically ends up level with where she ended up.

Holy hell that's observant, I never would have caught that. He only went down 1 level and she went down 2 but they ended up in the same room, pretty funny.

Sanctuary

Holy hell that's observant, I never would have caught that. He only went down 1 level and she went down 2 but they ended up in the same room, pretty funny.

He never actually went down a single level. He does that three foot drop or whatever initially, but he has to climb that again to reach the bridge.

Because If we want the genre to get back to its glory days we need a AAA game quality wise that will drive the masses, if this game would get a 9.5 for example in MC and will win loads of GOTY awards more people will have to try it and it can rejuvenate the entire genre, it wont happen if it's just OK.

The 'masses' these days aren't the same masses that were in the old RE/SH era, gaming in general has gotten pretty big.

At best you can hope for is a Soul Series level of success among the gaming enthusiasts.

And speaking of like the souls series...

BTW what are the complaints from people's impressions about this game?
At this point i just hope it's a good survival horror game for someone who likes the genre.

For most parts the main complains seem to be on the technical side of the game.

Sanctuary

Oops you're right, wow.

Yeah, I mean I still love the game to death, but that was seriously a "how the fuck did no one notice this during developement?" moment when everything else seemed to connect so well.
Mikami may not have directed that, but come on...it's Mikami and he most certainly saw the final version before it went gold.

Audioboxer

Argh, to pre-order or not!

I have a feeling this will get panned in reviews, but so was DC recently and besides having to shelve it for online play just now, I enjoy the driving.

Top Bottom