• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

SDCowboy

So the argument here, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that you can't criticise media for being what its authors intended it to be?

The argument is one needs to go into a product review knowing exactly what its intentions are. The Evil Within is intending to be an old school throwback survival horror game. Docking points for it being old school doesn't make sense. It's like if you're a car reviewer...you don't go into a review for a Mustang expecting it to be a Lambo and then trashing the car because it isn't.

StuBurns

Banned
The argument is one needs to go into a product review knowing exactly what its intentions are. The Evil Within is intending to be an old school throwback survival horror game. Docking points for it being old school doesn't make sense. It's like if you're a car reviewer...you don't go into a review for a Mustang expecting it to be a Lambo and then trashing the review because it isn't.
What happens if the intention of a game is to shit it out banking on children's obsession with certain licensed proportions? Should everyone give the game a ten because that's exactly what it does?

Intention is completely irrelevant.

SDCowboy

What happens if the intention of a game is to shit it out banking on children's obsession with certain licensed proportions? Should everyone give the game a ten because that's exactly what it does?

Intentions are completely relevant. You giving an extreme and ridiculous example doesn't change that.

Xpliskin

From the streams I've watched, this really isn't a story driven game. It's action horror with an almost silent protagonist, jump scares, lethal encounters, tight resource management, virtually no plot and a lot of risk vs. reward exploration.

Story may not have been the adequate word.

What I meant was "level progression".

Now you know that when you'll be at part X you need to do Y and Z will happen.
You'll also be looking forward to cutscenes you've already watched.
There's also no more surprise elements as to new enemy appearances, their weak points and their behavior.

For example, I can already tell chapter 9 will be the most boring for me because I've watched all the footage about it (even the hour long playthrough) and I know what's in the rooms/what I need to do.

Example two would be in RE 4:
The sewer "bugs". Element of surprise going in blind is a lot better than having watched someone blast through them in advance.
Even Salazar sets it up quite nicely "I've let my bugs out for some exercises". You don't even know they're invisible at first.

This vs a game like destiny, where you do the mission structure is the same, just a different area.

I hope it's clear what I mean.

EDIT:

Stuburns... did you really just post that ?

Sanctuary

The hell? Your example is really bad and completely out of context.

Funnily enough, this just makes me even more excited.

I would have personally been happy with either approach. Although I still have doubt that it's "just like" RE4 in terms of action, even if you end up killing a whole lot of enemies. Unless pretty much all of the previews and current user reviews lied about ammo.

Up to chapter 10 and completely stuck on a boss. No clue what to do here.

By the way, the last few chapters have solidified the fact that this is Resident Evil 4.5 or whatever you want to call it. The first three chapters or so, where there's a heavy focus on stealth and limited ammo are a bit misleading really. Once you got past those it's pretty much action all the way apart from a few excursions into surrealism.

If any of you are going into this expecting anything other than Resi 4 with a couple of hours of stealth sections at the beginning, wind back those expectations or you're going to be disappointed. The only real difference is that this is far more consistently horror themed than Resi 4 was.

Funnily enough, this just makes me even more excited.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The argument is one needs to go into a product review knowing exactly what its intentions are. The Evil Within is intending to be an old school throwback survival horror game. Docking points for it being old school doesn't make sense.
I guess I just disagree.

I mean, my earlier point --- and I might have done a god awful job of describing it --- was that it didn't start at ten and then move down from there. The assessment was "I liked this game" or "I didn't like this game". You've experienced that feeling before, right? Then you work backwards. Why don't I like this? Now, depending on any number of things (the reviewers mood, what he ate for breakfast, the last time he had sex, whether he just got off the phone with mum, whether they still make that shampoo he likes) this qualitative "I feel this way about this game" may manifest itself in many different ways. But the assessment *is the same*.

It's like when you break up with someone. Or make friends with someone. You can't just logic your way into a healthy relationship. This is because there is an *emotional component*. The way we articulate these components are subject to change based on almost random variables, but the underlying truth is the same.

So a hypothetical reviewer that gives Halo a bad score because it doesn't play like GTA is doing a terrible job at saying "I didn't enjoy playing Halo", but pointing out to him that the way he's expressing himself is useless isn't going to change his assessment of the game. He didn't like Halo.

StuBurns

Banned
The hell? Your example is really bad and completely out of context.
No, it is not.

If you should only evaluate a product based on the intention of the product, lots of products are designed to be of a poor quality, to cash in on the gullible, to break so you need to replace them, etc.

The experience of the person reviewing is the only thing that matters. If someone doesn't like the old school aspects the design, they should say so, regardless of what Tango wanted the game to be.

Sanctuary

So a hypothetical reviewer that gives Halo a bad score because it doesn't play like GTA is doing a terrible job at saying "I didn't enjoy playing Halo", but pointing out to him that the way he's expressing himself is useless isn't going to change his assessment of the game. He didn't like Halo.

The reviewer shouldn't be reviewing the game in the first place then, because he's clearly incompetent to do so. Man, you could apply this to all kinds of media, not just games.

No, it is not.

If you should only evaluate a product based on the intention of the product, lots of products are designed to be of a poor quality, to cash in on the gullible, to break so you need to replace them, etc.

The experience of the person reviewing is the only thing that matters. If someone doesn't like the old school aspects the design, they should say so, regardless of what Tango wanted the game to be.

It really seems like you're trying too hard with binary logic here.

liquidtmd

Banned
No, it is not.

'50 Shades of Grey has sex in. I dont like sex. Points deducted??'

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The reviewer shouldn't be reviewing the game in the first place then, because he's clearly incompetent to do so. Man, you could apply this to all kinds of media, not just games.
Again, I guess I just disagree.

Like, I mean --- what am I trying to say --- I suppose it seems to me like what you're saying is that if you don't like this game, you shouldn't have a voice. I know that's not what you're saying, because that's crazy, but I suppose I've just lost the thread of this conversation.

Majora

Also, no offence but you guys need to stop acting like this game is going to be some misunderstood esoteric little flower, damned by reviewers who don't get it. I think most reviewers are going to get it just fine. It's Resident Evil 4 with three stealth chapters at the beginning. It's not old school survival horror. 90% of the time it's extremely similar to one of the most critically acclaimed action games if all time, only a bit jankier and not quite as good. But still very good. I'd expect a metacritic in the 80-85 range when all is said and done.

StuBurns

Banned
'50 Shades of Grey has sex in. I dont like sex. Points deducted??'
That's an odd comparison, because not liking sex, and not liking erotic novels isn't the same thing, but let's say you meant erotic novels, then yes, 'deduct points'. I do kind of agree with Sanctuary though, in that it's more a case that you shouldn't have been assigned an erotic novel to read in the first place.

If someone hates the old REs, they probably shouldn't be reviewing this game, but if they are, they should be honest to their own tastes while doing so.

"I didn't like this game, because of its random enemy spawns, janky controls and animations, and long load times made it a frustrating trial and error experience. But I understand that was the intetenion, so I'm gonna give it a 10/10 anyway"

Sanctuary

Again, I guess I just disagree.

Like, I mean --- what am I trying to say --- I suppose it seems to me like what you're saying is that if you don't like this game, you shouldn't have a voice. I know that's not what you're saying, because that's crazy, but I suppose I've just lost the thread of this conversation.

No, if you don't like the genre, you have no business critiquing a game that fits into that genre and leave it to someone who is either experienced with the genre or is at least more objective.
You can have all of the voice you like, but it just shouldn't be used in your "professional" review.

"I didn't like this game, because of its random enemy spawns, janky controls and animations, and long load times made it a frustrating trial and error experience. But I understand that was the intetenion, so I'm gonna give it a 10/10 anyway"

Actually, some of those complaints are pretty valid. I think it's simply a matter of the wording though that is ruffling feathers. What's funny though is that they actually liked the game overall. I think where this thread is going to explode is if a whole lot of reviews actually start complaining about "old school" and "no checkpoint" gameplay.

I couldn't resist and watched another stream for a couple of minutes (no idea which chapter). And holy shit, the atmosphere and the enemies reminded me of RE 4. My hype is reaching critical levels....

liquidtmd

Banned
Also, no offence but you guys need to stop acting like this game is going to be some misunderstood esoteric little flower, damned by reviewers who don't get it. I think most reviewers are going to get it just fine. It's Resident Evil 4 with three stealth chapters at the beginning. It's not old school survival horror. 90% of the time it's extremely similar to one of the most critically acclaimed action games if all time, only a bit jankier and not quite as good. But still very good. I'd expect a metacritic in the 80-85 range when all is said and done.

True.

I think people are just a bit narked here because we get so few harder 'old school' style horror games like this appears to be these days in comparison to shooty-bang dumb themed games - only to have reviewers criticise it for being so. If we had more games in this vein come through on a regular basis I dont think it would get mentioned

Lanrutcon

One thing I will spoil from the streams: dat engine. Good lord it needs to be retired. The moment there's any rapid scene transitions the texture pop in makes things look like marshmellow.

Finalow

What the fuck.
There really should be no excuse for not having played it.It's like Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros. It's a game worth having an opinion on.
now that's probably going a bit too far. I am simply not into survival horror games, so I haven't played a lot of those. and with "a lot" I mean something like less than 5.

"what the fuck" all you want boys, but I give priorities to what I prefer and like more, survival horror is at the bottom of the list, right before racing games. thus never played RE4.

so why am I here. well, this game looks great. I also recently bought a PS4 with no games* (white is sexy - had to buy one in a couple of months for Bloodborne anyway) so I'm going to pick this up, even if it's not my genre. if it wasn't for other games I have yet to finish and Bayonetta 2 coming soon I'd have pre-ordered this and played it at d1. not sure when I'm going to play it now.

*it actually was destiny's bundle but eh, destiny is crap.

Sanctuary

I am simply not into survival horror games, so I haven't played a lot of those.

I give priorities to what I prefer and like more, survival horror is at the bottom of the list, right before racing games. thus never played RE4.

this game looks great.

What the fuck?

Anyway, if you end up liking this game, you should seriously consider getting RE4 for the PC when the texture project is finally done maybe next year.

Does anyone else's steam preload keep re-downloading the last gig or two every time you restart your pc/steam?

It has happened to me like 3 times already, for some reason it is back down to like 28 or 29 gigs and has to download the last few...

Yes, same thing has been happening to me.

Does anyone else's steam preload keep re-downloading the last gig or two every time you restart your pc/steam?

It has happened to me like 3 times already, for some reason it is back down to like 28 or 29 gigs and has to download the last few...

StuBurns

Banned
now that's probably going a bit too far. I am simply not into survival horror games, so I haven't played a lot of those. and with "a lot" I mean something like less than 5.

"what the fuck" all you want boys, but I give priorities to what I prefer and like more, survival horror is at the bottom of the list, right before racing games. thus never played RE4.

so why am I here. well, this game looks great. I also recently bought a PS4 with no games* (white is sexy - had to buy one in a couple of months for Bloodborne anyway) so I'm going to pick this up, even if it's not my genre. if it wasn't for other games I have yet to finish and Bayonetta 2 coming soon I'd have pre-ordered this and played it at d1. not sure when I'm going to play it now.

*it actually was destiny's bundle but eh, destiny is crap.
If you're such a Souls fan you'd buy a PS4 for Bloodborne, I think you might find a lot about the Survival Horror genre that resonates with you if you give them another try.

I've never played RE4. I don't know what I'm doing with my life, mates. I can't even look my kids in the eye anymore. My wife doesn't even think I'm a man anymore. Pls help

ok the first thing you have to do is play Resident Evil 4. Its on fourteen different platforms, so no excuses.

I go to sleep and come back in this thread to see chaos. Lol. It's interesting to see all this speculation and worry from folks when I'm playing this and have thoughts but can't talk about said thoughts. Tuesday needs to get here ASAP!

Preordered the PS4 version. I have been basically in a media blackout by accident outside of the early boxhead/girldemon stuff. I'm ready for some survival horror for halloween. I don't really have any expectations at all, I'm happy even if it is just a campy romp or something akin to a Silent Hill game.

I didn't really give Vanquish a fair shot even when I got it for free via PS+ just because the ''theme'' of the game felt really offputting to me. I'm happy Shinji is back to the ''roots''.

AsfaeksBR

By the way, the last few chapters have solidified the fact that this is Resident Evil 4.5 or whatever you want to call it. The first three chapters or so, where there's a heavy focus on stealth and limited ammo are a bit misleading really. Once you got past those it's pretty much action all the way apart from a few excursions into surrealism.

If any of you are going into this expecting anything other than Resi 4 with a couple of hours of stealth sections at the beginning, wind back those expectations or you're going to be disappointed. The only real difference is that this is far more consistently horror themed than Resi 4 was.

I was kind of worried because I knew there were various combat-oriented part, because I always like to have the maximum amount of ammo. Even in RE4 I disliked some of the fights because I spent more ammo than I retrieved killing the ganados.
But after reading this and also that some enemies drop 6 bullets, I'm a bit reliefed.

All I want is a game with great combat and a lot of explorarions. The story and graphics are complementary.

Q7qQRI3.png

I always wanted to see how game reviewers play the game when reviewing.
Yesterday I watch a gameplay from Dan Stapleton of Bad_Blood (you can find it at ign). Really, he played it like it was GTA. He didn't take the time to be stealthy like Watch_Dogs requires. And when e was spotted, he simply started to jump around to "avoid the bullets". At the end, he gave it a 6,8.

After seeing that, I don't trust any big-site reviewers anymore.

Sanctuary

ok the first thing you have to do is play Resident Evil 4. Its on fourteen different platforms, so no excuses.

Hahaha. I had to reread his post to see if that had actually been edited in. And how about those cyclopes?

I still do. Well, kind of...

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/demons-souls-review/1900-6231961/

Or maybe I'm just a VanOrd fanboy.

Never cared for IGN.

greenfish

Banned
If I was a reviewer i'd give any ubisoft/gearbox game a 4 out of 10

why?

*they downright lie about features, they downgrade pc versions
*terrible ports
*a lot of people on their company seems to suffer from very low IQ (evident when devs are quoted about fps and cinematic effects
*ass creed
*jade r
*randy PITCHford (good name)

Why do you people care so much about scores? Just play the game and find out yourself? This is why demos should always be available.

What if meta reviews gives this a 9/10 but YOU end up disliking it?

I was kind of worried because I knew there were various combat-oriented part, because I always like to have the maximum amount of ammo. Even in RE4 I disliked some of the fights because I spent more ammo than I retrieved killing the ganados.
But after reading this and also that some enemies drop 6 bullets, I'm a bit reliefed.

All I want is a game with great combat and a lot of explorarions. The story and graphics are complementary.

I always wanted to see how game reviewers play the game when reviewing.
Yesterday I watch a gameplay from Dan Stapleton of Bad_Blood (you can find it at ign). Really, he played it like it was GTA. He didn't take the time to be stealthy like Watch_Dogs requires. And when e was spotted, he simply started to jump around to "avoid the bullets". At the end, he gave it a 6,8.

lol
[/QUOTE]

What!?!?

What do you mean by "I don't trust"? It's their OPINION. You don't have to agree with it of course, but you don't trust them because they don't praise a game you worship????

Arkanius

What are the best deals for the pre-order of the game right now?
GMG?
W/T/S thread?

And what is the state of the PC port... 30fps locked?

I go to sleep and come back in this thread to see chaos. Lol. It's interesting to see all this speculation and worry from folks when I'm playing this and have thoughts but can't talk about said thoughts. Tuesday needs to get here ASAP!

Well we all know you love the game, that was set in stone months ago.

About what everybody not named -MD- expected, I imagine

djshauny

Banned
I can't be the only one that didn't like RE4.

Mainly because I absolutely loved RE1 and 2 and felt 4 just took the series into a very "Action" oriented direction, not to mention the horrible horrible controls and other issues it had.

It didn't really scare me or give a sense of tension/fear that RE1/2 did for me.

I feel the exact same way.

Finalow

If you're such a Souls fan you'd buy a PS4 for Bloodborne, I think you might find a lot about the Survival Horror genre that resonates with you if you give them another try.
I'd say that you don't need to be a huge Souls games fan to buy a PS4 for Blooborne, because ya know, that game is going to be gotg etc. I'm sure a lot of people will regardless of being big fans or not.

anyhow I'll take the suggestions of this thread and play RE4 when I get the chance.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'd say that you don't need to be a huge Souls games fan to buy a PS4 for Blooborne, because ya know, that game is going to be gotg etc. I'm sure a lot of people will regardless of being big fans or not.

anyhow I'll take the suggestions of this thread and play RE4 when I get the chance.

What the fuck?

AsfaeksBR

What!?!?

What do you mean by "I don't trust"? It's their OPINION. You don't have to agree with it of course, but you don't trust them because they don't praise a game you worship????

I actually don't worship Watch_Dogs at any point. All I'm saying is that if they don't play the game right, they won't get the full experience. If they don't get the full experience, how can I trust their review as trustworthy?

Maybe you need to check yourself if at this point in the gen you still can't think of a single reason why a pc gamer who doesn't primarily game for rralistic graphics or particles would want to skip out on the joy that is the pc version of a game in favor of the copy couch version of the console he owns.

Xpliskin

Well we all know you love the game, that was set in stone months ago.

About what everybody not named -MD- expected, I imagine

Jesus christ.

This prime troll here.

Make us happy and get the fuck out of threads like these.

Your posts are prime crap posts. And yet again targetting MD.

-MD-

Jesus christ.

This prime troll here.

Make us happy and get the fuck out of threads like these.

Your posts are prime crap posts. And yet again targetting MD.

He does seem to have a bit of a crush on me. He makes it a habit of calling out Slasher at every opportunity as well.

Guy's bitter.

He does seem to have a bit of a crush on me. He makes it a habit of calling out Slasher at every opportunity as well.

Guy's bitter.

Now this is true. I wish I got paid moneyhats to promote a game for months ;_;

Platinum games, get at me. I'll make sure Bayonetta 2 sells over 10k by the end of the year

Top Bottom