• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
if4tFZGAlv6bW.gif

try harder, your Kojima-sama is disappointed.

i0ezmggmbhsssdfixp.gif

greenfish

Banned
I actually don't worship Watch_Dogs at any point. All I'm saying is that if they don't play the game right, they won't get the full experience. If they don't get the full experience, how can I trust their review as trustworthy?

Same here, but they did play the game. Or (better) they played more of the game then anyone on neogaf, currently. Also their score wasn't bad, do you really belive that?

Sanctuary

Why do you people care so much about scores?

Can't speak for anyone else, but it's not about the score aside from seeing something like a 5/10 or 6/10 should give you a serious pause. I actually read or watch the contents of a review. The majority of 9+ games are wholly undeserving anyway.

What do you mean by "I don't trust"? It's their OPINION. You don't have to agree with it of course, but you don't trust them because they don't praise a game you worship????

I think it's more "I can't trust that my opinions will align with them",

Maybe you need to check yourself if at this point in the gen you still can't think of a single reason why a pc gamer who doesn't primarily game for rralistic graphics or particles would want to skip out on the joy that is the pc version of a game in favor of the copy couch version of the console he owns.

Huh? You mean I can't play the PC version, sitting on my couch using either a 360, PS3 or PS4 controller with my PC hooked up to my television? Goddamnit, I must be doing it wrong.

Alright, just reached chapter 5. Replayed the game again from beginning after reaching CH3 yesterday because the game has not been registered onto my gamertag and thus achievements as well as my save file kept bugging out but after removing my gamertag and downloading it again, everything got fixed. Just thought I would explain so you don't have to wonder how I got to CH5 in such a short time lol. I'll write my impressions about the game so far. First of all, damn, the game is getting crazier and crazier in terms of Story. One big blend of a cluster mindfuck. Relentless in it's tension and thick, gritty/dark as hell in it's atmosphere even when you think you're safe. Game reminds me alot of the movie Shutter Island, The Shinning mixed with Silent HIll, with a touch of the first Evil Dead. I find myself often de-equipping my weapon as much as I can so that the HUD goes away and it's really, really immersive.

I don't see the game playing like RE4, It may look like it but it plays differently judging from the past 4 chapters. Sebastian's aim sucks ass and even when you're sure you have a hit on the enemy, BANG, you missed and I died quite a few times like that on CH3 when the game opened up abit by putting
you in an environment similar to the village in RE4.
Only way to get better is to upgrade Sebastian in terms of things that affects his character or his weapons. The game is slow paced compared to RE4 even though you are going from point A to B, exploration is highly recommended to do so because you need dat green gel currency for upgrades, matches, ammo for weapons as well as handling enemies slowly because they don't die quickly. The game has this methodical approach in how you confront your enemies and traversing the environments because there may be traps put anywhere and you could use them to your advantage or get caught in them if you're not careful enough. There are also chests scattered around in the game and you can control the speed in which you open said chests. It is recommend to open it slowly so that you could disarm the trap if there is one inside the chest before opening it up completely. Pretty cool.

Just because you shoot an enemy in the head doesn't mean you are going to get a headshot so just be careful. You could shoot the head and all you're going to do is take off chunck or side of the enemies head only and he/she will still be coming to you in anger. There is alot of places you could hide in so if you felt that you're pretty much fucked, running and then hiding is the only option. You could upgrade yourself in getting a higher chance of critical hits but again, expensive as shit. I see the game having a high replay value because of this.

I am playing on Survival difficulty and you're pretty much dead in 2 - 3 hits depending on yhe state of your health. It's a tough game which is why I find myself after killing off a bunch of enemies, I head to save immediately because checkpoints are not friendly unless you are just wanting to go to your next objective without exploring and collecting things. You are also very limited in how many syringes(health), ammo as well as matches that you could carry. You could upgrade how much you could carry of said item but most of the upgrading is very expensive so I find myself focusing on things like Sebastian health bar, stamina when running and the like. So far I have only found one medical kit that I still didn't use because its written it has side affects so I'm worried lmao. All I'm using is the small syringes which doesn't fill your health alot to be honest.

I got through one cutscene that had a few hiccups at the end of CH3 and once or twice fps drop but nothing game breaking to be honest. Game is giving back to me so much more and I am enjoying my time with it so much. The game is nothing like the classic RE's(I really love the classics much more than RE4 and above), It is a much more slow paced, realistic, WAY DARKER and grittier RE4. RE4 compared to TEW is sunshine and rainbows at this point. I will write more impressions as I continue on the game. Highly recommend the game so far. This is what RE4, RE5 and RE6 should have been. The tension, horror and atmosphere is consistent and on point compared to those games (RE5/RE6 don't deserve to be mentioned even)

A pretty funny note I found about Sebastian, linked incase of people who don't want to be spoiled.

EDIT: Burning corpses so far doesn't stop the enemies from going away for good after getting back to a checkpoint from death. Maybe it has something to do with the difficulty. I still do it because if his head didn't pop off, he'll wake up immediately to haunt you so you need to act quick especially when there are more than 1 behind your sorry ass. This game also has the goriest death scenes of the main character lol.

Well we all know you love the game, that was set in stone months ago.

Regardless of if I love the game or not, every game has issues. If you think I'm going to cookie cutter sugar coat shit just for blind excitement, your wrong. So keep on, keeping on if it makes you feel better. The things I'll point out are def going to be what's legitimately WRONG with the game. Otherwise it's all just opinions and shit whether it comes to story, va, expectations on gameplay, etc. So why that makes my thoughts on the game invalid to you, I don't know but it doesn't make others, and as long as I articulate my reasons and thoughts, and people can understand where I'm coming from in said review, that's all that really matters. So please.... just chill.

Now this is true. I wish I got paid moneyhats to promote a game for months ;_;

And really? This should be a bannable offense. Moneyhats for months? Who got paid for being excited and making content on a game? Not me. So please stop the blind accusations, you make yourself look extremely foolish. If you have THAT much of a focus on me, let me take a picture for you, it will last longer.

1eoTjAFIXXqsU.gif

StuBurns

Banned
I think the biggest complaints are going to come from the technology, which is kind of not Tango's fault, which is unfortunate.

Steez

Seems like the PS3 version has a lot of screen-tearing on cutscenes, a lot of pop-ins, poor textures and loading is 20-30 secs....

I mean, yeah, you should expect stuff like this. The last gen version is obviously going to be inferior to the current gen version.

hwy_61

Banned
Just an FYI: if you preorder this game from Kmart, you'll get $35 in shop your way reward points(free membership). The only thing is that they have a really shitty rep for shipping games in a timely manner. Some people who preordered destiny didn't get it till a month after. US only I believe.

Mutombo

Intentions are completely relevant. You giving an extreme and ridiculous example doesn't change that.

To mingle in the intention discussion without playing the game;

intentions should be a part of the 'text'. Whether you're watching a film, playing a game or reading a book, the intentions should be clear while consuming the game, film, book, etc.

An artist has failed if he has to explain the art's intentions. It's his job to nudge the player/viewer into the right set of mind.

So are intentions relevant? Of course. But they are inherent to the text (I use text in an academic sense, by the way). And you can definitely fault a text if it doesn't do what it intends to do. But intentions are open for interpretation, and they definitely affect the way a game is played.

Xpliskin

Now this is true. I wish I got paid moneyhats to promote a game for months ;_;

Platinum games, get at me. I'll make sure Bayonetta 2 sells over 10k by the end of the year

I'm sure this and that "HD" REmake will bring the janky idiosyncratic Japanese game back in style

Accusing of PR snitching.

I think this guy is against "idiosyncratic Japanese games" in general.

Or just plain fucking annoying. Seriously, get the fuck out.

Majora

I seriously can't defeat the chapter 10 boss :(

Has anyone else who has the game gotten this far yet/beaten it? I can't figure out a tactic at all. It's ok til you get the first hit in and then it's just utterly relentless no matter what I try to do.

Drewfonse

I go to sleep and come back in this thread to see chaos. Lol. It's interesting to see all this speculation and worry from folks when I'm playing this and have thoughts but can't talk about said thoughts. Tuesday needs to get here ASAP!

8.5/10 confirmed. Maybe 9/10.

Huh? You mean I can't play the PC version, sitting on my couch using either a 360, PS3 or PS4 controller with my PC hooked up to my television? Goddamnit, I must be doing it wrong.
IF you can get it to start I'm sure you can champ, but you assume much, not everyone will go through the effort how ever small you may feel it is when an easier solution is available.

Disappointed that the thread is heading in this direction instead of discussing the game and impressions of people who played the game which are quite a few now.

bunk-the-wire.gif

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I go to sleep and come back in this thread to see chaos. Lol. It's interesting to see all this speculation and worry from folks when I'm playing this and have thoughts but can't talk about said thoughts. Tuesday needs to get here ASAP!

"I know something you don't know but I can't talk about it yet" is obnoxious when it comes from games journalists and it's a little obnoxious in this context, too. Your posts since getting the game almost sound like self-promotion for your coming review. As if we are on the edge of our seats wondering whether you think it's good. Can't wait to find out whether it's GOAT or merely GOTY material.

"I know something you don't know but I can't talk about it yet" is obnoxious when it comes from games journalists and it's a little obnoxious in this context, too. Your posts since getting the game almost sound like self-promotion for your coming review. As if we are on the edge of our seats wondering whether you think it's good. Can't wait to find out whether it's GOAT or merely GOTY material.

Put yourself in my shoes. What else do you want me to say? There is no obnoxiousness to it and I could care less about folks looking at my review. I'll talk up a storm in the threads once it releases with discussion. It's not liking I'm going to spam my video review over and over and over. Come on now. I have rules to follow, simple as that.

Slasher is a genuine dude. He makes fantastic videos that are full of personality and extremely fair positives and negatives; unlike PewDiePie, who goes on an adventure to make every shitty game he plays look entertaining. Because of this, Slasher doesn't have fifty million subscribers and isn't likely being paid by any PR department to promote a game. He gets review copies, but not everyone who gets review copies gets them because they're being paid under the table to make a product look good regardless of its actual quality. Quick, find me a bunch of websites or evidence that Slasher's videos have had any measure of impact on this games' potential sales. Unlike some, or going by a lot of threads and discussions I see, Slasher actually enjoys videogames and enjoys being excited for them. This leads to his passion for creating personality-fueled content, regardless of how many Youtube followers he has.

Not everyone has a stick up their ass when it comes to entertainment. The amount of hyperbolic criticism I see for everything these days is disgusting at best. It's good to fairly criticize things, but I frequently see at least objectively good games or even movies being torn asunder by the most ridiculous claims and shit-tastic observations-- sometimes, even before they've been released. Just because Slasher isn't prone to being a negative clown doesn't mean that he's going to sugarcoat everything he's excited for; on the contrary, the more excited you are for something, the bigger the room for disappointment.

One of the things I hate the fucking most about this forum (and it's not just here) is that if you're wearing an avatar of something you like, or have a bunch of posts in a thread about something you like, some will flat-out ignore whatever it is you think because of assumed bias. I have a Revelations 2 avatar right now because I think the art is cool, but I better take it off if I find the game highly enjoyable, especially if opinions are mostly mixed to negative; I would be seen as a blind fanboy who will like anything despite the fact that I think for example that RE4 is a good but highly overrated game and that the original Revelations was pretty terrible. But hey, I'll love it no matter what because that's like, my avatar.

I try not to be too dramatic around here, but for me a big part of being a gamer is being excited for things that pique one's interests. If it turns out good, great. If it turns out bad, maybe next time. Therefore it does bother me extensively to see someone like Slasher being called out for being a paid-off fanboy simply because he's excited for the game and has made several Youtube videos about it; Youtube videos that not exactly millions of people saw. Being excited and showing that excitement and sharing in it with other people is one of the many awesome things about playing videogames and what I imagine to be the biggest reason why most people here signed up for this forum, or any other forum-- to discuss games or whatever, to share in excitement, and so on. If we can't do that without being called out for it, then what's the fucking point?

Sanctuary

IF you can get it to start I'm sure you can champ, but you assume much, not everyone will go through the effort how ever small you may feel it is when an easier solution is available.

Yeah, I know. I just felt like posting something sarcastic, and my mind railed at the prospect of someone who claims to game on PC as well not having a system that's at least more capable than a PS3.

Disappointed that the thread is heading in this direction instead of discussing the game and impressions of people who played the game which are quite a few now.

bunk-the-wire.gif

Quiet, person who actually CAN play the game!

Slasher is a genuine dude. He makes fantastic videos that are full of personality and extremely fair positives and negatives

Hmm, your plant-speak has me wanting to check out some of his video reviews now. I've honestly not seen any by him yet.

DVCY201

Up to chapter 10 and completely stuck on a boss. No clue what to do here.

By the way, the last few chapters have solidified the fact that this is Resident Evil 4.5 or whatever you want to call it. The first three chapters or so, where there's a heavy focus on stealth and limited ammo are a bit misleading really. Once you got past those it's pretty much action all the way apart from a few excursions into surrealism.

If any of you are going into this expecting anything other than Resi 4 with a couple of hours of stealth sections at the beginning, wind back those expectations or you're going to be disappointed. The only real difference is that this is far more consistently horror themed than Resi 4 was.

I will be winding back my expectations immediately. I guess more RE4 is always good, but it's not survival horror. So much for the "comeback" of the genre everyone keeps touting about.

Gurish

Just pre-ordered the game from PSN, hope it turns out well, i took a risk here not waiting for reviews, don't disappoint me Mikami!

bunk-the-wire.gif

you impressions were appreciated, I was glad to hear the tension was there, I hope the OP compiles and links them in the OT.

StuBurns

Banned
I will be winding back my expectations immediately. I guess more RE4 is always good, but it's not survival horror. So much for the "comeback" of the genre everyone keeps touting about.
Kojima got yo back.

I think it was always more about the return of horror in action games, rather than survival horror itself.

-MD-

Quick, find me a bunch of websites or evidence that Slasher's videos have had any measure of impact on this games' potential sales.

The Evil Within's official twitter account retweeted his video a few weeks back.

In bed with Bethesda confirmed.

Xpliskin

Embargo dude.
People in this thread want to hear Slasher's impressions, it's not like he's forcing it.

Yes, that's kinda how every single prerelease OT works. Come back in a few days where more people can actually discuss the game.

Well, maybe then said people shouldn't judge too quickly? In any case though, we have more than a few people here who are going through the game. Hopefully they come in and post more of their impressions as well.

StuBurns

Banned
But..but, I am posting impressions and uh, uhm well you can ask me anything you want to know about the game. Just now going through CH5.
How connected do the levels feel? Is it like RE4, in that it feels like a cohesive environment, and something of a major journey, or is it more isolated and traditionally 'levels'?

Top Bottom