• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

What do you think of the soundtrack so far? It's one of the things I really wasn't following.

Soundtrack so far is mostly quite with general ambient/creepy noises except for the save room song you hear from a far when a save room is near. When things get crazy you get the usual intense scary "oh shit" music. Nothing special though or amazing.

The classic RE's are way superior in soundtrack however this is not what this game is trying to be. The game is kind of like being inside of a rolling ball, it's a clusterfuck of things and environments you are going through. That's as much as I could say without spoiling anything.

How connected do the levels feel? Is it like RE4, in that it feels like a cohesive environment, and something of a major journey, or is it more isolated and traditionally 'levels'?

There is some that obviously connect but then others it like... where am I now. It's hard to describe but it makes more sense when playing it.

Yeah, I know. I just felt like posting something sarcastic, and my mind railed at the prospect of someone who claims to game on PC as well not having a system that's at least more capable than a PS3.

Quiet, person who actually CAN play the game!
its all good, its only my extreme laziness that allowed my mind to instantly see that possibility.

Gbraga

Soundtrack so far is mostly quite with general ambient/creepy noises except for the save room song you hear from a far when a save room is near. When things get crazy you get the usual intense scary "oh shit" music. Nothing special though or amazing.

The classic RE's are way superior in soundtrack however this is not what this game is trying to be. The game is kind of like being inside of a rolling ball, it's a clusterfuck of things and environments you are going through. That's as much as I could say without spoiling anything.

Hm, I really like that idea of hearing the save room music when you're getting near, especially if the game is hard, it'll probably make you feel really good.

Sanctuary

Okay, I think after I beat the game I'm definitely going to watch Slasher's review. It doesn't sound like a professional review at all, but more like how you would actually communicate to another person face to face. It sounds like he's maybe looking at a list of points he wants to touch up on, but it doesn't sound like he's reading a script like most reviews.

The Evil Within's official twitter account retweeted his video a few weeks back.

In bed with Bethesda confirmed.

Is he using dragonskin?

Hm, I really like that idea of hearing the save room music when you're getting near, especially if the game is hard, it'll probably make you feel really good.

It makes me happy as fuck especially since I'm playing on the hardest difficulty that is available to me from the get go, the rest will unlock after beating the game once I am guessing. Usually when a save room is near, I tend to learn where it is if the environment is open up abit because that means I could go, take care of a few enemies then save and rinse/repeat because the checkpoint system is no joke if you're someone who likes to explore every nook and cranny.

Slasher is a genuine dude. He makes fantastic videos that are full of personality and extremely fair positives and negatives; unlike PewDiePie, who goes on an adventure to make every shitty game he plays look entertaining. Because of this, Slasher doesn't have fifty million subscribers and isn't likely being paid by any PR department to promote a game. He gets review copies, but not everyone who gets review copies gets them because they're being paid under the table to make a product look good regardless of its actual quality. Quick, find me a bunch of websites or evidence that Slasher's videos have had any measure of impact on this games' potential sales. Unlike some, or going by a lot of threads and discussions I see, Slasher actually enjoys videogames and enjoys being excited for them. This leads to his passion for creating personality-fueled content, regardless of how many Youtube followers he has.

Not everyone has a stick up their ass when it comes to entertainment. The amount of hyperbolic criticism I see for everything these days is disgusting at best. It's good to fairly criticize things, but I frequently see at least objectively good games or even movies being torn asunder by the most ridiculous claims and shit-tastic observations-- sometimes, even before they've been released. Just because Slasher isn't prone to being a negative clown doesn't mean that he's going to sugarcoat everything he's excited for; on the contrary, the more excited you are for something, the bigger the room for disappointment.

One of the things I hate the fucking most about this forum (and it's not just here) is that if you're wearing an avatar of something you like, or have a bunch of posts in a thread about something you like, some will flat-out ignore whatever it is you think because of assumed bias. I have a Revelations 2 avatar right now because I think the art is cool, but I better take it off if I find the game highly enjoyable, especially if opinions are mostly mixed to negative; I would be seen as a blind fanboy who will like anything despite the fact that I think for example that RE4 is a good but highly overrated game and that the original Revelations was pretty terrible. But hey, I'll love it no matter what because that's like, my avatar.

I try not to be too dramatic around here, but for me a big part of being a gamer is being excited for things that pique one's interests. If it turns out good, great. If it turns out bad, maybe next time. Therefore it does bother me extensively to see someone like Slasher being called out for being a paid-off fanboy simply because he's excited for the game and has made several Youtube videos about it; Youtube videos that not exactly millions of people saw. Being excited and showing that excitement and sharing in it with other people is one of the many awesome things about playing videogames and what I imagine to be the biggest reason why most people here signed up for this forum, or any other forum-- to discuss games or whatever, to share in excitement, and so on. If we can't do that without being called out for it, then what's the fucking point?

1060.gif

untitled-1foshn.gif

Okay, I think after I beat the game I'm definitely going to watch Slasher's review. It doesn't sound like a professional review at all, but more like how you would actually communicate to another person face to face. It sounds like he's maybe looking at a list of points he wants to touch up on, but it doesn't sound like he's reading a script like most reviews.

Exactly. I sit down, I go face to face with the camera and talk about the pro and cons. Very laid back and not over done. It's a review style I've recently started adapting and absolutely fiind it a joy.

Drewfonse

The problem with all that is most people are talking here without even having played the game lol. The game so far is really fucking good save for a few technical problems and that it doesn't look 4K HD ULTRA TEXTURES STRAIGHT FROM THE HEAVENS TO MY SCREEN

Keep the impressions coming, thanks

Your impressions are a pleasure to read Death Metalist, I look forward to hearing more from you.

Indeed very good posts. I think my biggest concern right now is solely on the performance quality. It doesn't sound like the smoothest game ever, but other things could make up for it.

Xpliskin

I hope so! But I think that's not going to be out for a while...
I will be winding back my expectations immediately. I guess more RE4 is always good, but it's not survival horror. So much for the "comeback" of the genre everyone keeps touting about.

Old-school minded,
159.gif

I need your steam name, PM.

-MD-

Exactly. I sit down, I go face to face with the camera and talk about the pro and cons. Very laid back and not over done. It's a review style I've recently started adapting and absolutely fiind it a joy.

I want more rhyming like you did in your Styx review.

MrBlonde

Can anyone tell me that has played it on the easy difficulty is it frustrating and do you die a lot? I am not normally into survival horror but I am a huge horror fan and want to give this game a try but dont want to be frustrated with it.

Can anyone tell me that has played it on the easy difficulty is it frustrating and do you die a lot? I am not normally into survival horror but I am a huge horror fan and want to give this game a try but dont want to be frustrated with it.

I would like to know this too.

I am very close to pre ordering but I think I will wait for PC impressions to come out, when does the embargo end?

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but this thread has so many pages and I don't want to search through it all:

How is the game technical-wise on PS4 if anyone's played it on there? Does it run well?

In your short time with the game, is it a must buy? Are you having fun?

It's a must buy for any horror fan who wants to go through a unique experience. Like for example in most horror games, your objectives, motives and everything is clear as day but till now with TEW, I can't even pin point where the fuck I am exactly lmao. I don't want to say any more so that I don't spoil but you'll be going through many interesting environments from the get go. Nothing is clear so far in terms of motives or what is actually going on in the game. Yes, I am having alot of fun mostly it's because I want to continue on and see what's going to happen next. It's a very intriguing game. However, it doesn't play like RE4 so far and I don't know if that will change later, I went more indepth in the last page with my impressions. I don't mind that but I am just putting it out there for the people who want to get it just because it maybe plays like RE4.

How effective is hitting a haunted with a bottle and going in for a kill? does it automatically become a stealth kill in that situation?

Watching a walkthrough on Youtube right now (just a bit of a peek) and I'm really digging what I'm seeing so far. The atmosphere is tremendous and the sound design is glorious. It seems highly immersive. I also think the game feels really... dangerous? I dunno, it's got that feel that RE4 had of a character being out of his league but even more so because Sebastian isn't this fearless, cocky badass like Leon.

Did DeathM.. Talk about the performance?
Solid?

Solid in most places and average in some. The game has technical issues no doubt as well as a few disappointing textures/aliasing going on in the game. Then again, I am playing the X1 version so the PS4 version should be better in that regard however these things don't bother me but I know it can bother alot of people. Here's hoping with patches things turn out perfect but don't hold your breath for that.

EDIT: I think the game would have been much better in that regard if it was next gen only.

It's a must buy for any horror fan who wants to go through a unique experience. Like for example in most horror games, your objectives, motives and everything is clear as day but till now with TEW, I can't even pin point where the fuck I am exactly lmao. I don't want to say any more so that I don't spoil but you'll be going through many interesting environments from the get go. Nothing is clear so far in terms of motives or what is actually going on in the game. Yes, I am having alot of fun mostly it's because I want to continue on and see what's going to happen next. It's a very intriguing game. However, it doesn't play like RE4 so far and I don't know if that will change later, I went more indepth in the last page with my impressions. I don't mind that but I am just putting it out there for the people who want to get it just because it maybe plays like RE4.

Linear experience? Or open?
Thanks for the response

How effective is hitting a haunted with a bottle and going in for a kill? does it automatically become a stealth kill in that situation?

Haven't tried it. It's an achievement/trophy lol but I will do so I could answer you. All I used the bottles for is to throw them and get the enemy to watch that place for abit so I could sneak in for the kill. I am glad they put in toggle for crouching, I hate holding and especially in this game you'll be crouching a whole damn lot if you're being careful which you will be because ammo is scarce and that's me telling you that with 3 weapons in hand so far with one of them having different types of ammo to it. Then again, I'm playing on survival difficulty so who knows how scarce the ammo is on the other difficulties.

Haven't tried it. It's an achievement/trophy lol but I will do so I could answer you. All I used the bottles for is to throw them and get the enemy to watch that place for abit so I could sneak in for the kill. I am glad they put in toggle for crouching, I hate holding and especially in this game you'll be crouching a whole damn lot if you're being careful which you will be because ammo is scarce and that's me telling you that with 3 weapons in hand so far with one of them having different types of ammo to it. Then again, I'm playing on survival difficulty so who knows how scarce the ammo is on the other difficulties.

Also not sure if you know
but if you use a flash arrow when there is the invisible enemies, they become visible and can be stealth killed from behind
it's a good strategy to have.

so how good or bad is the ps3 version? that's the only thing i have right now so i would like to know if it's okay to get it now or wait until next year and get it on ps4

ArchAngel

Chapter 9 ... people will like it, I don't. Too random deaths sometimes (won't explain any further ^^).
Hope the last third of the game beats everything so far :D

Also not sure if you know
but if you use a flash arrow when there is the invisible enemies, they become visible and can be stealth killed from behind
it's a good strategy to have.

I just started encountering them and they are damn scary, I fucking hate them LOL but at the same time I love the challenge and looking with eagle eye concentration, seeing where they are exactly
. Yup, I knew about that thanks to the loading screen hints lol it's a very good strategy but then again you can't even carry alot, only
2 - 3 arrows.
Unless you upgrade but I am focusing on Sebastian much more than the weapons.

I just started encountering them and they are damn scary, I fucking hate them LOL but at the same time I love the challenge and looking with eagle eye concentration, seeing where they are exactly
. Yup, I knew about that thanks to the loading screen hints lol it's a very good strategy but then again you can't even carry alot, only
2 - 3 arrows.
Unless you upgrade but I am focusing on Sebastian much more than the weapons.

Yep. Agreed. :D

The "this type of post I don't like should be a bannable offense" trend is quite possibly the lamest thing ever. Grow up.

I think you need to check yourself. Accusing someone of money hating isn't something to be posting and is nothing like "I don't like this post" type of banter. If you don't know the difference, I don't know what else to tell you.

Much like my current favorite game of the year.

I love Wolfenstein's prologue. People ragged on it hard.

I loved this game's prologue because it eases you in on the stealth mechanics without telling you what to do exactly. Then again, I have been on a media blackout of this game for quite sometime now so I didn't know what to expect even.

Top Bottom