• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Any word on the 360 version? Aside from some tearing and inferior resolution, is it comparable to the XB1/PS4 version?

Well, we got these pictures if they are anything to go by.

TRfIi3jl.png

gvVEeUyl.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Geoff Keighley is a better games journalist with his Final Hours series than most of the rest of the "journalists" put together. Final Hours of Titanfall was a phenomenal read and was absolutely worth paying money for. That was some straight up embedded games journalism.

I don't care what his college degree is in.

His E3 coverage is also professional and on point. I'm a big fan of Keighley.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Soooooooooooooooooo

Based on the last couple of pages I've gathered the following:

Slasher's review will suck because he already made up his mind long before the game released?

Since I have made some critical posts of Slasher in this thread I want to make one thing clear. I don't think his review will suck. I have no doubt his enthusiasm is earnest and that he will be putting in his best effort at creating comprehensive and entertaining coverage of the game.

However, as far as using his review as a barometer of quality or an indication of how I'll feel about the game... well, I probably won't. Imagine if a "professional" reviewer working for a major outlet had spent months openly hyping themselves and others for the game, acting basically as a promoter despite having access to only the same public knowledge we all have. How would you feel about their review when it eventually came? So many GAFers gives reviewers so much shit, much warranted, plenty unwarranted, so I have to imagine that many would agree with me that acting as a hype-man AND reviewer is just kind of sketchy. Not like "he was paid to do all this" sketchy, but just "how should I evaluate his own evaluation of the game given his long-term emotional investment in the game?"

On a personal note, I feel it's the job of devs and pubs to sell me on a game and it's the consumer's role to push back and be skeptical. Marketing is adversarial for a good reason. I find it somewhat unappealing when gamers themselves take up the mantle of promoter even though they have no special information about the product beyond what we all have. It happened for Lords of Shadow, it happened for DmC, and I found it irritating then as well. So if I've come off as rude in my criticism in threads about this game, this is why.

I don't want to imply people shouldn't be excited about games. Hell, I wish I was able to get this excited about games that I hadn't yet played. But the fact remains that lots of us on GAF are excited about games and we don't all manifest that excitement by doing free PR work.

So that's probably the last I'll say on this subject, and I look forward to getting the game sometime this coming week.

Since I have made some critical posts of Slasher in this thread I want to make one thing clear. I don't think his review will suck. I have no doubt his enthusiasm is earnest and that he will be putting in his best effort at creating comprehensive and entertaining coverage of the game.

On a personal note, I feel it's the job of devs and pubs to sell me on a game and it's the consumer's role to push back and be skeptical. Marketing is adversarial for a good reason. I find it somewhat unappealing when gamers themselves take up the mantle of promoter even though they have no special information about the product beyond what we all have. It happened for Lords of Shadow, it happened for DmC, and I found it irritating then as well. So if I've come off as rude in my criticism in threads about this game, this is why.

I don't want to imply people shouldn't be excited about games. Hell, I wish I was able to get this excited about games that I hadn't yet played. But the fact remains that lots of us on GAF are excited about games and we don't all manifest that excitement by doing free PR work.

So that's probably the last I'll say on this subject, and I look forward to getting the game sometime this coming week.

However, as far as using his review as a barometer of quality or an indication of how I'll feel about the game... well, I probably won't. Imagine if a "professional" reviewer working for a major outlet had spent months openly hyping themselves and others for the game, acting basically as a promoter despite having access to only the same public knowledge we all have. How would you feel about their review when it eventually came? So many GAFers gives reviewers so much shit, much warranted, plenty unwarranted, so I have to imagine that many would agree with me that acting as a hype-man AND reviewer is just kind of sketchy. Not like "he was paid to do all this" sketchy, but just "how should I evaluate his own evaluation of the game given his long-term emotional investment in the game?"

Very respectful and understanding post. I will say though that, I do youtube for a hobby, I don't make bank off it and I consider it a way to show my enthusiasm for games I'm excited for and stay involved with the community. For games I'm really hyped for, I sometimes go above and beyond (see my Alan Wake like action video or RE5 review for examples) It's just a way for me to have fun editing, have discussion with folks, and have a good time. I wish I could say there is some ulterior motive, but there isn't. If I can't have fun with my own personal channel? Why keep doing it? That's the whole point, I have that creative freedom. I think it would be more dishonest to people to hide my excitement for said game, at least folks know how I'm approaching it. Leave it to them to judge my thoughts on the game accordingly after that. I don't hide anything.

Also embargo is still a go, Bethesda knows about the streams and is actively trying to shut them down they say.

Good score. UK press are usually more strict.

Note: the embargo for media that received The Evil Within from Bethesda is on October 14th, the day of release. As Bethesda declined to send us a review copy of the game (presumably due to the score we gave Wolfenstein: The New Order) we bought our own copy. As such said embargo does not apply, hence why the review is live now.

lol

Could we start a review thread or is it too early ?

All of this is fair and totally reasonable and I'm sure he would agree. As for me, the only review I care about is mine, and you're saying you're getting the game regardless, so whether or not his review is something you agree or disagree with... it's just someone's review in the end. I don't personally use anyone's review as a barometer, or even the conglomerate because I honestly just don't really trust anyone or a group of people enough to speak for how I'm personally going to feel about something. I'm getting a PS4 in a few weeks (!!!) along with this game and Destiny, and I have a friend who has put in over 60 hours into it yet is trying to tell me to not buy it at any cost because it's empty and there's no content. And I'm sure that may be true by his standards, but the fact that he's put in so many hours speaks in volumes between his idea of a good game with a lot of content and mine.

I'm looking forward to Slasher's review simply because I think he's outgoing and funny, and knowing how much he's been interested in the game, well, I'm eager to find out what he thinks about it, written in stone or not, not because I'll be using it as a buying decision. My mind is already made up in that regard. I think sometimes people just do videos and reviews to help pass the time or express themselves.

JoeFenix

He's a dude making youtube videos, think of his review as his opinion. An opinion you know comes from a guy who was hyped about the game he's reviewing prior to release.

There you go, he's not being held to any standards here, he's just some fan giving his opinion. There is nothing wrong with that. There's no conflict of interest here at all unless he's not disclosing certain things. But having seen him talking about the game for the past couple of months it's pretty clear that he's just a fan who made videos, got some attention from Bethesda PR and ended up with a review copy a week early because of it.

I do agree that he's been subtly plugging his upcoming coverage a little bit too much though the past couple of days but whatever. I'm not going to watch his videos because I don't really care about his opinion (no offense) at the end of the day but it sucks to see a truly passionate fan get railed on for no real reason.

One of the the most interesting things about famed Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikimi's latest is how much it feels like Silent Hill. While the influence of past Capcom classics is obvious - it plays like a cross between Resi remake's slow-burn horror and resource management while effortlessly slipping gears into the slasher-terror of Resi 4's action - The Evil Within's paranormal setting gives the director free reign to play with notions of reality in a way that resembles Team Silent's best.

This makes me feel things.

Is this the first review of the game?

Videogamer Review - 8/10

Pros:

Wonderful environments
Superb Gunplay

Cons:

Sags in the middle
Story never really gets going

One of the the most interesting things about famed Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikimi's latest is how much it feels like Silent Hill. While the influence of past Capcom classics is obvious - it plays like a cross between Resi remake's slow-burn horror and resource management while effortlessly slipping gears into the slasher-terror of Resi 4's action - The Evil Within's paranormal setting gives the director free reign to play with notions of reality in a way that resembles Team Silent's best.

Holy shit.

Xater

The 22 min videogamer video seems pretty good. Just listening not really watching but the footage does look good.

for me it was more me hearing what they have to say beyond the review and some of these statements do sound promising. On a technical level the game still seems a bit lackluster tbh.

Ok. Here's parts of Videogamer review i found interesting

Your foes - whose tactics are essentially the same as the ganados in Resi 4 - work perfectly in these dreamscape worlds: they just keep coming.

Mikami, more than perhaps anyone, understands that the secret to gunplay and enemy encounters is crafting weapons that are actually tools, with specific functions, not just bang-bang power fantasies. The Evil Within's environments are cramped, dangerous, and oppressive. But they're also that to your enemies. Best laid plans will often go wrong, but the maxim remains: use your weapons and items wisely.

Failure to do so will result in death, and you'll probably die a few times anyway as a matter of course. Enemies are tough and intelligent, moving in packs and swarming the player, using melee and ranged weapons to box Sebastian in. Their resilience - a well-placed shotgun shell to the face sometimes isn't enough - is at the heart of their danger. In a nod to Resi remake's Crimson Heads, one of the few times players will feel safe is after burning downed foes. Even then, matches are at a premium.

There's a satisfaction to combat that feels distinctly Mikami - every encounter is a test, a potential last stand, and it takes true skill to come out alive. Choices have to be made - do you use the various tricks and traps against your enemy, or break them down into ammo for your multi-purpose bow? It's up to you, which makes combat so much fun.

It's these elements that drag you through a game that is, on the face of it, exhausting to play. Even when it isn't at its best, you'll want to press on. It sags considerably in the middle, unable to match Resi 4's superb pacing and letting some rather uninspired environments get in the way.

Ok. Here's the full Videogamer review and the bolded parts are the ones i found interesting

If anything I think Resident Evil 4 has terrible pacing. It's solid for about 2/3 but later into the castle and on it really outstays its welcome. Pacing means more than just how "fast" scenarios move by. So I'm not really sure what to make of that comment either way. As long as the slow stuff in Evil Within feels organic with the whole, I don't really mind the slower pace. What I didn't like about RE4 was how it just started getting so very random and just throwing whatever into the game because they could. I didn't think that was a good thing at all, and it ended up making the game feel extremely bloated and caused the tone to change way too much.

Ateron

He's a dude making youtube videos, think of his review as his opinion. An opinion you know comes from a guy who was hyped about the game he's reviewing prior to release.

There you go, he's not being held to any standards here, he's just some fan giving his opinion. There is nothing wrong with that. There's no conflict of interest here at all unless he's not disclosing certain things. But having seen him talking about the game for the past couple of months it's pretty clear that he's just a fan who made videos, got some attention from Bethesda PR and ended up with a review copy a week early because of it.

I do agree that he's been subtly plugging his upcoming coverage a little bit too much though the past couple of days but whatever. I'm not going to watch his videos because I don't really care about his opinion (no offense) at the end of the day but it sucks to see a truly passionate fan get railed on for no real reason.

I don't understand why you don't care about his opinion. Sure, slasher is a big fan of the genre and that may, subconsciously sway his judgement a bit, but I would take a honest opinion of someone who knows his stuff and has a true passion for the genre over some game "journalist" who probably sees reviewing games is not into as just a chore to make ends meet. He's not getting payed for this,and I'm sure he will point out flaws as he sees them.

Over the years I've grown weary of profesdional reviewers and came to value my peers' opinions a lot more. Another poster I always pay attention is Dusk Golem. People who know their stuff and share similar interests. Not saying there aren't professional reviewers like that, but it's been hard to trust media lately. Sometimes Gaf impressions are the best barometer,imo.

Top Bottom