• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

JoeFenix

When the hell is this preload coming online on PSN?

I have a fairly slow internet connection and PSN is supposed to be down tommorow, I'll be incredibly pissed if I have to sit here watching the game download for 2 days because they couldn't be bothered to flip the switch on the preload.

antitrop

I loved this game's prologue because it eases you in on the stealth mechanics without telling you what to do exactly. Then again, I have been on a media blackout of this game for quite sometime now so I didn't know what to expect even.
I understand that Wolfenstein's prologue might be a bit too Call of Duty, for some, as it's fairly linear and set-piece heavy.

I think it sets up the contrast between the two time periods perfectly, though. It's really effective at communicating how things change between when BJ gets knocked out and wakes back up.

You have to play for almost an hour just to see the title card come up and I think it's remarkably effective. Really loved almost everything they did with that campaign.

Xpliskin

Preordered, it was only £44 with first class P&P, not too bad at all, last time I looked it was more than £50, which was making me wait it out.

I really hope you have fun.

About the frame dips, tango seems to be currently on it.

Got my hands on an unofficial changelog which I can't post, but 1.01 seems to contain performance fixes.
I'd bet money on a 1.02.

By the way, Tango replaced the physics module with Havok.
I don't know if machineGames did that.

Well, from what I saw is that it has screen tearing something that the next gen versions don't have. Put it this way, if the next gen versions have technical problems then who knows what the previous gen version has however, I won't tell you to buy or not to buy it as I haven't experienced it infront of me, I think I would wait for more impressions from people who have the PS3 version or reviews(on youtube or game sites).

Well, from what I saw is that it has screen tearing something that the next gen versions don't have. Put it this way, if the next gen versions have technical problems then who knows that the previous gen version has however, I won't tell you to buy or not to buy it as I haven't experienced it infront of me, I think I would wait for more impressions from people who have the PS3 version or reviews(on youtube or game sites).

thanks, i guess i'll wait then. I really wanna support mikami so i hope the game is good on ps3

StuBurns

Banned
I really hope you have fun.

About the frame dips, tango seems to be currently on it.

Got my hands on an unofficial changelog which I can't post, but 1.01 seems to contain performance fixes.
I'd bet money on a 1.02.

By the way, Tango replaced the physics module with Havok.
I don't know if machineGames did that.
Well at the very least it'll be interesting. PN03 is the only stain on his resume, he's earnt the blind purchase at this point.

Slasher might care whether or not someone gets banned in some kind of bizarre alternate dimension that isn't this one.

It's ok. In his world he doesn't care about a poster implying blatant lies and accusations and is more concerned about someone mentioning the word banned. Priorities ya know?

greenfish

Banned
Can't speak for anyone else, but it's not about the score aside from seeing something like a 5/10 or 6/10 should give you a serious pause. I actually read or watch the contents of a review. The majority of 9+ games are wholly undeserving anyway.

I think it's more "I can't trust that my opinions will align with them",

Huh? You mean I can't play the PC version, sitting on my couch using either a 360, PS3 or PS4 controller with my PC hooked up to my television? Goddamnit, I must be doing it wrong.

I agree that the majority of the 9/10 scores are mostly bs or paid reviews. But still it's hilarious how people take these scores to heart. It's like a 6.5 game is unplayable or 7.5 is pure garbage. What if the reviewer hates the game and decides to give a 4 for just that. But you love the game :)

Steam Europe game will unlock in 1 day and 15 hours. Are there earlier dates we can use in another country (vpn) ?

Thanks

Majora

Think I'm going to have to restart chapter 10 and save a load of bolts for the end of chapter boss. For the life of me I cannot see how I'm meant to defeat it with the supplies I have and the stamina meter I have. As soon as you shoot it once all hell breaks loose. I even contacted the guy who completed it on The Evil Within Forums and he said he basically just used a load of bolts to repeatedly stun it but I have no supplies to Make the right ones with. Kind of annoyed as chapter 10 is a long one.

No doubt an easy solution will emerge once the game is out but I'm going to have to throw my hands up and concede this one and try to cheese it. I've already spent about 2-3 hours on it.

Think I'm going to have to restart chapter 10 and save a load of bolts for the end of chapter boss. For the life of me I cannot see how I'm meant to defeat it with the supplies I have and the stamina meter I have. As soon as you shoot it once all hell breaks loose. I even contacted the guy who completed it on The Evil Within Forums and he said he basically just used a load of bolts to repeatedly stun it but I have no supplies to Make the right ones with. Kind of annoyed as chapter 10 is a long one.

No doubt an easy solution will emerge once the game is out but I'm going to have to throw my hands up and concede this one and try to cheese it. I've already spent about 2-3 hours on it.

This makes me really excited. So far, I am going through CH5 and it is the scariest chapter by far because of one very particular thing and i'm low in both ammo and health.

uyqLdeD.gif

DVCY201

Old-school minded,
-snip-

I need your steam name, PM.

There needs to be more old-school minded games in the industry. Are you asking me? Because, I don't play on my PC (laptop, but I do have steam). I think TEW would cripple it, haha.

Amazon hasn't shipped my copy :( I think I'm going to go buy it in store on Tues, I don't want to wait longer than I have to.

Yup, most gaming journalists who aren't really journalist (no degree) get paid in either money or promotion packages in form of new hardware, vacation etc

Perfect example is Geoff Keighley or Randy PITCHford

What the hell are you talking about? When's the last time Geoff Keighley or Randy Pitchford reviewed a game? Link me to a review either one of them wrote.

You're talking nonsense.

antitrop

Geoff Keighley is a better games journalist with his Final Hours series than most of the rest of the "journalists" put together. Final Hours of Titanfall was a phenomenal read and was absolutely worth paying money for. That was some straight up embedded games journalism.

I don't care what his college degree is in.

Soooooooooooooooooo

Based on the last couple of pages I've gathered the following:

Slasher's review will suck because he already made up his mind long before the game released?

Alien: Isolation is the true survival horror game released in recent memory.

TEW is a great action game with nods to old RE and SH, but doesn't blow the doors off the genre.

Gbraga

I don't get why Keighley gets so much crap from people. He's not really a journalist, never was, I always saw him more as a host, and a pretty good one, actually.

The whole Doritos Pope thing is funny as hell, so I'm not complaining, but him being criticized for "journalist integrity" because of that was always dumb.

Soooooooooooooooooo

Based on the last couple of pages I've gathered the following:

Slasher's review will suck because he already made up his mind long before the game released?

Alien: Isolation is the true survival horror game released in recent memory.

TEW is a great action game with nods to old RE and SH, but doesn't blow the doors off the genre.

You also gathered that Sony hates us with no preload.

StuBurns

Banned
Geoff Keighley is a better games journalist with his Final Hours series than most of the rest of the "journalists" put together. Final Hours of Titanfall was a phenomenal read and was absolutely worth paying money for. That was some straight up embedded games journalism.

Very true, all of those articles are great. HL2 one is an amazing read.

greenfish

Banned
Same thing when people type soony, or M$. Some think that shit is hilarious.

I don't find anything hilarious about Randy PITCHford or his fiasco. Maybe you do.

Anyways let's stay on topic guys and clowns!

Steam Europe game will unlock in 1 day and 15 hours. Are there earlier dates we can use in another country (vpn) ?

antitrop

I don't get why Keighley gets so much crap from people. He's not really a journalist, never was, I always saw him more as a host, and a pretty good one, actually.

The whole Doritos Pope thing is funny as hell, so I'm not complaining, but him being criticized for "journalist integrity" because of that was always dumb.

He's a self-proclaimed journalist and his Final Hours series is categorically "journalism", but I've always thought of him as a host as well. The first time I ever saw him was in the mid-2000s on G4TechTV when he hosted the show G4TechTV.com with Tina Wood and Laura Foy. Decent show. But he was just a cable television show host, that's really all I saw him as, at the time.

Snowballo

One question: buying the game right now (PAL PSN) can I start to preload it?
It should be playable in two days right?
Thanks.

Nobody knows?

Gbraga

He's a self-proclaimed journalist and his Final Hours series is categorically "journalism", but I've always thought of him as a host as well. The first time I ever saw him was in the mid-2000s on G4TechTV when he hosted the show G4TechTV.com with Tina Wood and Laura Foy. Decent show. But he was just a cable television show host, that's really all I saw him as, at the time.

Well, if he considers himself a journalist, then nevermind me.

I should give his Final Hours stuff a read some time, people seem to like it.

Yup. Keighley gets so much unwarranted negativity. He's amazing and is a great public face for the industry.

And he's a brilliant writer.

stn

Any word on the 360 version? Aside from some tearing and inferior resolution, is it comparable to the XB1/PS4 version?

Top Bottom