• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Xpliskin

Is it bad that it's the first time that I hear about videogamer.com and gameblogger.cn .
Then again, it's been a while I've followed a game's launch this close.

8/10 from random sites is good though, not that I put much faith into reviews. I liked TNO

Xater

Is it bad that it's the first time that I hear about videogamer.com and gameblogger.cn .

8/10 from random sites is good though, not that I put much faith into reviews. I liked TNO

Videogamer is not random. They are a really good british outlet. That's where Matt Lees also worked for a while for example.

antitrop

It's nothing to get all upset about. Don't tell me you've never swatted a bothersome fly! In essence, it's the same thing.

CZbeUPR.gif

-GJ-

Do we know how long this game is going to be? I have a friend who wants to get it, but he doesn't want to buy it full priced if it turns out to be really short (~6 hours or less).

I don't know about gameblogger.cn, but Videogamer review affects overal Metacritic score

I don't understand why you don't care about his opinion. Sure, slasher is a big fan of the genre and that may, subconsciously sway his judgement a bit, but I would take a honest opinion of someone who knows his stuff and has a true passion for the genre over some game "journalist" who probably sees reviewing games is not into as just a chore to make ends meet. He's not getting payed for this,and I'm sure he will point out flaws as he sees them.

Over the years I've grown weary of profesdional reviewers and came to value my peers' opinions a lot more. Another poster I always pay attention is Dusk Golem. People who know their stuff and share similar interests. Not saying there aren't professional reviewers like that, but it's been hard to trust media lately. Sometimes Gaf impressions are the best barometer,imo.

He doesn't have to watch my review, nor support my content. He is at least being honest which is what I have been this entire time. Though what I bolded is pretty much dead on. That's how I view it really. I like to know thoughts on others that have passion for the genres. Just like antitrop has a huge passion for FPS as example, I look forward to his thoughts on said genre. Horror games are one of my "things" but I won't force anyone to view my opinion. It's just that, and everyone has one. I took no offense either. What really boggles my mind though is that I'm one of the most laid back, and up front folks when it comes to my thoughts for games, etc and I don't take a "this game is holier then thou" approach. Yet you'd perhaps otherwise after the type of responses I've seen today towards me. It's actually a bit depressing and makes me rethink posting on GAF at all.

Since I have made some critical posts of Slasher in this thread I want to make one thing clear. I don't think his review will suck. I have no doubt his enthusiasm is earnest and that he will be putting in his best effort at creating comprehensive and entertaining coverage of the game.

However, as far as using his review as a barometer of quality or an indication of how I'll feel about the game... well, I probably won't. Imagine if a "professional" reviewer working for a major outlet had spent months openly hyping themselves and others for the game, acting basically as a promoter despite having access to only the same public knowledge we all have. How would you feel about their review when it eventually came? So many GAFers gives reviewers so much shit, much warranted, plenty unwarranted, so I have to imagine that many would agree with me that acting as a hype-man AND reviewer is just kind of sketchy. Not like "he was paid to do all this" sketchy, but just "how should I evaluate his own evaluation of the game given his long-term emotional investment in the game?"

On a personal note, I feel it's the job of devs and pubs to sell me on a game and it's the consumer's role to push back and be skeptical. Marketing is adversarial for a good reason. I find it somewhat unappealing when gamers themselves take up the mantle of promoter even though they have no special information about the product beyond what we all have. It happened for Lords of Shadow, it happened for DmC, and I found it irritating then as well. So if I've come off as rude in my criticism in threads about this game, this is why.

I don't want to imply people shouldn't be excited about games. Hell, I wish I was able to get this excited about games that I hadn't yet played. But the fact remains that lots of us on GAF are excited about games and we don't all manifest that excitement by doing free PR work.

So that's probably the last I'll say on this subject, and I look forward to getting the game sometime this coming week.

I don't get the fear of excitement. I try to get excited for any game I think I will love, hype is part of the fun. Going crazy over every new video of MGS, that is fun. None of that matters when the game hits. I don't understand anyone who pretends to enjoy a game, once the game starts it is a clean slate.

Now someones taste is the biggest determining factor, not how excited they are. Usually people get excited for games that suit their taste. I am pretty damn sure TEW is my kind of game, I am super hyped for it. Still wont mean anything if the game isn't good.

The most important thing to me with reader reviews has nothing to do with their enthusiasm, it is what kinds of games they enjoy, are their tastes aligned to mine.

Grief.exe

Videogamer a random site?

Also, this is important to note from that review

Note: the embargo for media that received The Evil Within from Bethesda is on October 14th, the day of release. As Bethesda declined to send us a review copy of the game (presumably due to the score we gave Wolfenstein: The New Order) we bought our own copy. As such said embargo does not apply, hence why the review is live now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Just saw a 28 second load time in the videogamer.net video. Jesus. :/

Forcing Tango to use IdTech really was a disastrous decision.

If anything I think Resident Evil 4 has terrible pacing. It's solid for about 2/3 but later into the castle and on it really outstays its welcome. Pacing means more than just how "fast" scenarios move by. So I'm not really sure what to make of that comment either way. As long as the slow stuff in Evil Within feels organic with the whole, I don't really mind the slower pace. What I didn't like about RE4 was how it just started getting so very random and just throwing whatever into the game because they could. I didn't think that was a good thing at all, and it ended up making the game feel extremely bloated and caused the tone to change way too much.

Resident Evil 4 has "terrible pacing" and "outstays its welcome" coming from a guy who loves Lords of Shadow. I can't even.

edit: oh my god also "extremely bloated."

~Kinggi~

Banned
That village looked awesome in the video. Really good stuff. I can see how a beefy PC would improve the game experience providing 60fps and fast loading times after a death. Would probably dramatically improve the fun.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Do we know how long this game is going to be? I have a friends who wants to get it, but he doesn't want to buy it full priced if it turns out to be really short (~6 hours or less).

The two completion times we have so far are 15 hours & 40 minutes, and 15 hours & 55 minutes.

I am betting some will complete it faster, some longer, it's looking like a 12-17 hour long game.

kodecraft

Resident Evil 4 has "terrible pacing" and "outstays its welcome" coming from a guy who loves Lords of Shadow. I can't even.

You'd be surprised at alot of gamers impulse buying games just because others like said games really well. But deep down they don't necessarily enjoy them. Vanquish comes to mind, RE4 has been said and I expect TEW to do the same.

That village looked awesome in the video. Really good stuff. I can see how a beefy PC would improve the game experience providing 60fps and fast loading times after a death. Would probably dramatically improve the fun.

I was hoping for this initially. I'm talking a 60fps experience. Also, since the consoles seem to have day one patches would the PC have it's patches? The PC is ported by a third-party studio meaning Tango themselves doesn't support the game, so would the third party studio apply the patches or is PC version of TEW s.o.l.?

JoeFenix

I don't understand why you don't care about his opinion. Sure, slasher is a big fan of the genre and that may, subconsciously sway his judgement a bit, but I would take a honest opinion of someone who knows his stuff and has a true passion for the genre over some game "journalist" who probably sees reviewing games is not into as just a chore to make ends meet. He's not getting payed for this,and I'm sure he will point out flaws as he sees them.

Over the years I've grown weary of profesdional reviewers and came to value my peers' opinions a lot more. Another poster I always pay attention is Dusk Golem. People who know their stuff and share similar interests. Not saying there aren't professional reviewers like that, but it's been hard to trust media lately. Sometimes Gaf impressions are the best barometer,imo.

I've already bought the game, I guess I should have clarified that I don't care about his opinion in terms of deciding if I should spend my money on the game or not.

When I'm done with the game and feel like sharing my thoughts then I'll be interested in hearing what other people have to say about it.

All I meant to express in my previous post was that I thought he was getting some unfair criticism for being passionate and excited about the game. He's really not doing anything out of line here.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You'd be surprised at alot of gamers impulse buying games just because others like said games really well. But deep down they don't necessarily enjoy them. Vanquish comes to mind, RE4 has been said and I expect TEW to do the same.

I was hoping for this initially. I'm talking a 60fps experience. Also, since the consoles seem to have day one patches would the PC have it's patches? The PC is ported by a third-party studio meaning Tango themselves doesn't support the game, so would the third party studio apply the patches or is PC version of TEW s.o.l.?

There is still an obligation to provide a good experience so having an outside studio involved doesnt necessarily mean fixes wont come. But im expecting very limited support on the performance side of things. Will have to rely on PC experts to provide tweaks and configs to get things working like always.

vg260

I'm just trying to guess if this game will have good replayability. I know it has a new game+, which is good, but is anyone who played this so far someone who only tends to play a single player game once and move on?

Also, given the apparent scarcity of in-game supplies, is the re-order bonus significant?

Yuterald

Soundtrack so far is mostly quite with general ambient/creepy noises except for the save room song you hear from a far when a save room is near. When things get crazy you get the usual intense scary "oh shit" music. Nothing special though or amazing.

The classic RE's are way superior in soundtrack however this is not what this game is trying to be. The game is kind of like being inside of a rolling ball, it's a clusterfuck of things and environments you are going through. That's as much as I could say without spoiling anything.

That's a little disappointing to hear. Who's the composer for this game, anyway? I'm super excited to arrive (or get near) to a save room so I can hear the game's save-room track. One of my favorite aspects of old RE games were their save-room pieces. I totally expected this game to have that "boring" tense/suspense moment music, but I'm hoping there's some decent ambient tunes tucked away somewhere on the OST.

Speaking of save-rooms (and I feel like I ask this every time I pop into an Evil Within thread), but does this game ONLY use traditional save-points? Or are there checkpoints (like in RE4) if you die between sections? I'm guessing it's the latter. Been playing Alien: Isolation and it's like 90% of the way to working the way I prefer save-rooms/stations to work, but it's not quite there yet. I'm getting this game regardless Tuesday evening after work, but it's probably what I'm most intrigued about, to be honest.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Note: the embargo for media that received The Evil Within from Bethesda is on October 14th, the day of release. As Bethesda declined to send us a review copy of the game (presumably due to the score we gave Wolfenstein: The New Order) we bought our own copy. As such said embargo does not apply, hence why the review is live now.

publishers do this? really?

So reading the few reviews we have, its not as good as RE4, basically nothing is so that is understandable. But it sounds exactly like the kind of game I want to play but just not as well designed as RE4 was.

kodecraft

There is still an obligation to provide a good experience so having an outside studio involved doesnt necessarily mean fixes wont come. But im expecting very limited support on the performance side of things. Will have to rely on PC experts to provide tweaks and configs to get things working like always.

As someone new to the PC gaming experience......damn.

~Kinggi~

Banned

It sucks but it can be glorious too. Like the FF13 fiasco. Sucks but now its the best version hands down. Shadow of Mordor and Alien Isolation have been amazing out of the gate though, so good PC support is out there.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's really weird to me that the reticle is always visible, as though the designers think you'll want to use blind-fire fairly often. Given the lack of ammunition, it seems counter to the game's own aims. Blind fire is for machine guns in Gears or War, not pistols with 2 bullets. Can anyone who's played a fair amount comment on whether blind-fire is actual useful/viable so much so that it justifies shitting up the visual presentation of the game?

If anything I think Resident Evil 4 has terrible pacing. It's solid for about 2/3 but later into the castle and on it really outstays its welcome. Pacing means more than just how "fast" scenarios move by. So I'm not really sure what to make of that comment either way. As long as the slow stuff in Evil Within feels organic with the whole, I don't really mind the slower pace. What I didn't like about RE4 was how it just started getting so very random and just throwing whatever into the game because they could. I didn't think that was a good thing at all, and it ended up making the game feel extremely bloated and caused the tone to change way too much.

You were always one of my favorite posters. Not anymore. :p

Kosma

Banned
If anything I think Resident Evil 4 has terrible pacing. It's solid for about 2/3 but later into the castle and on it really outstays its welcome.

Im happy im not alone on this.

While I wouldnt say horrible pacing, I always felt the game should have been a bit shorter.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Im happy im not alone on this.

While I wouldnt say horrible pacing, I always felt the game should have been a bit shorter.

I have no problem with the idea that the island portion of the game is a bit long and less interesting than the previous two thirds. The idea that the game is overall badly paced and/or bloated with filler is absolutely fucking bonkers.

Well it's a bit of an exaggeration. Nearly all of my PC games have full support, and sometimes over and beyond support. Only a couple things in my account were shat out and left to die.

As Kinggi says though, even with support, modders will do things developers never even considered. It's one of the neat things about PC gaming.

I'm just hoping the 60fps unlock thing here doesn't wreck the game.

Arklite

Lmao at that door kick + face stomp + burn combo in the videogamer vid. Game is looking really tense with how tough everything seems.

kodecraft

It's really weird to me that the reticle is always visible, as though the designers think you'll want to use blind-fire fairly often. Given the lack of ammunition, it seems counter to the game's own aims. Blind fire is for machine guns in Gears or War, not pistols with 2 bullets. Can anyone who's played a fair amount comment on whether blind-fire is actual useful/viable so much so that it justifies shitting up the visual presentation of the game?

You mean the quick-aim/shot mechanic? Worked great in RE6 and personally more games need them.

I understand the awkwardness of the reticule staying in the game, I thought there was an auto option for this. Maybe a patch will help with that,

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I accidentally saw what was after the mansion demo area I played at PAX Prime and geeeehhhh. Spoiler, if you respond to this spoiler tag your reply;
There's this really cool section with all these traps and giant dolls heads where all these cage doors keep on rising from the ground and this giant monster made of blood particulars is marching after you through the bars of the cages and screeching things at you, it looked really cool. Basically had to escape while evading traps and the giant blood monster.

Tuesday can't get here soon enough.

You mean the quick-aim/shot mechanic? Worked great in RE6 and personally more games need them.

I understand the awkwardness of the reticule staying in the game, I thought there was an auto option for this. Maybe a patch will help with that,

There's an option to turn the reticule off...but then it will just be gone the whole game, even when you aim.

So you either A) have a reticule on the screen the entire game despite not having a lot of ammo and just seems really odd or B) no reticule at all

Sanctuary

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

The movie with some of the worst casting ever. People who are getting upset over people speaking British in Paris (AC: Unity) have obviously never seen that movie.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-lost-humanity-18-a-table-of-doritos

facepalm completly facepalm

Randy PITCHford is not a gaming journalist but he fits in the same category, figuere that one out.

That article, wow. It basically described Hollywood. 1Up had an animated piece like that around 2010 - 2011.

StuBurns

Banned
There's an option to turn the reticule off...but then it will just be gone the whole game, even when you aim.

So you either A) have a reticule on the screen the entire game despite not having a lot of ammo and just seems really odd or B) no reticule at all
Seems like a bizarre oversight, however, persistent reticule it surely will be for me.

kodecraft

Cool, sounds like a 'no reticule' experience for me then.

Seems like a bizarre oversight, however, persistent reticule it surely will be for me.

To note though, the reticule only appears when you have a gun equipped, it's gone when your gun is gone.

Top Bottom