• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Bl@de

Oh man what a dilemma :S

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

Don't do it. It's always better to go in blind. Trust me. We know enough already. It's survival horror after all. You don't want to see it all and spoil it.

semi-spoilers (the trap room is in the trailers)

its very unnerving to crouch in a room with
a huge rotating blade that beheads anyone standing, in hopes that the haunted that are chasing you lose their heads.. only to have one crouch below the range of the blade and make a beeline straight towards you with the sole purpose of grabbing you and making you stand up..

Since I have made some critical posts of Slasher in this thread I want to make one thing clear. I don't think his review will suck. I have no doubt his enthusiasm is earnest and that he will be putting in his best effort at creating comprehensive and entertaining coverage of the game.

However, as far as using his review as a barometer of quality or an indication of how I'll feel about the game... well, I probably won't. Imagine if a "professional" reviewer working for a major outlet had spent months openly hyping themselves and others for the game, acting basically as a promoter despite having access to only the same public knowledge we all have. How would you feel about their review when it eventually came? So many GAFers gives reviewers so much shit, much warranted, plenty unwarranted, so I have to imagine that many would agree with me that acting as a hype-man AND reviewer is just kind of sketchy. Not like "he was paid to do all this" sketchy, but just "how should I evaluate his own evaluation of the game given his long-term emotional investment in the game?"

On a personal note, I feel it's the job of devs and pubs to sell me on a game and it's the consumer's role to push back and be skeptical. Marketing is adversarial for a good reason. I find it somewhat unappealing when gamers themselves take up the mantle of promoter even though they have no special information about the product beyond what we all have. It happened for Lords of Shadow, it happened for DmC, and I found it irritating then as well. So if I've come off as rude in my criticism in threads about this game, this is why.

I don't want to imply people shouldn't be excited about games. Hell, I wish I was able to get this excited about games that I hadn't yet played. But the fact remains that lots of us on GAF are excited about games and we don't all manifest that excitement by doing free PR work.

So that's probably the last I'll say on this subject, and I look forward to getting the game sometime this coming week.

It's no secret he's a youtube reviewer, he won't be the first or last reviewer in any capacity to be hyped for a game and to spread the word that its coming out (hint: IGN doesn't do any of that for free yet a lot of people pay attention to their reviews) The fact he's on Gaf is neither here nor there.

While you see some sense of impenetrable bias in the hype has for the game, I myself respect the passion and trust his point of view enough to look forward to an honest review from a fellow passionate fan of the Director and his previous works.

To note though, the reticule only appears when you have a gun equipped, it's gone when your gun is gone.

This is true and simple pushing O on PS4 puts it away.

PS4 version having like 25-30 second loadtimes going by that video...digital foundry article is gonna be fascinating

Interesting, was this a load of a whole new level? Cause I've never had that sort of load time on a death ever. Also just for fyi purposes, I'm using factory standard hard drive that came with my PS4.

Majora

I don't understand the reticule complaints. Just holster your gun and it goes. I really wouldn't recommend playing without a reticule on your first play through. It can be hard enough to aim with it on. That way surely lies frustration.

Arklite

Reviewers talking and playing a game at the same time doesn't make for the smoothest demo, but that video really did show what Mikami talked about in interviews relating to the game giving you just enough supplies to feel confident one moment, and then poor, injured and desperate the next.

greenfish

Banned
Hopefully, our Aussie/Kiwi friends get the game early.

Unfortunately GAF, Steam says it unlocks on the 15th in AUS/NZ. :( Just checked with my VPN.

Oh well, thanks anyways guys

Videogamer is not random. They are a really good british outlet. That's where Matt Lees also worked for a while for example.

Matt Lee the IDIOT who said Killer is dead is Misogyny personafied!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqVpD31LAfs

"Killer is Dead: Just Like Suda 51's Career" <--- that's what the prick choose for a title, i'm glad the DISLIKES speaks for themself.

That idiot can fuck off with his career. That video he made pretty much is beyond braindead and offers nothing but his own white knight agenda into the "review".

Still contemplating whether or not picking this up for PC or PS4.

Leaning toward PC since the game+DLC is $48 on GMG.

Why would you NOT go with the PC version?! I Unless your pc is ancient?

It's cheaper on CJS cd keys

That's a little disappointing to hear. Who's the composer for this game, anyway? I'm super excited to arrive (or get near) to a save room so I can hear the game's save-room track. One of my favorite aspects of old RE games were their save-room pieces. I totally expected this game to have that "boring" tense/suspense moment music, but I'm hoping there's some decent ambient tunes tucked away somewhere on the OST.

Speaking of save-rooms (and I feel like I ask this every time I pop into an Evil Within thread), but does this game ONLY use traditional save-points? Or are there checkpoints (like in RE4) if you die between sections? I'm guessing it's the latter. Been playing Alien: Isolation and it's like 90% of the way to working the way I prefer save-rooms/stations to work, but it's not quite there yet. I'm getting this game regardless Tuesday evening after work, but it's probably what I'm most intrigued about, to be honest.

Yeah, it kind of is. As well as the save music being the same so far in every chapter. There are checkpoints when you reach certain places but there is also save points and as long as you're near the place, you can save as much as you want. The way you save/upgrade is pretty unique so I won't say how.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
You mean the quick-aim/shot mechanic? Worked great in RE6 and personally more games need them.

I understand the awkwardness of the reticule staying in the game, I thought there was an auto option for this. Maybe a patch will help with that,

Quick shot in RE6 auto-targets (IIRC), so you aren't wasting ammo. I'm assuming TEW uses traditional blindfire where accuracy is compromised in favor of immediately firing without taking the time to over-the-shoulder aim.

edit: if the reticle disappears when the gun is unequipped, I guess that's sort of good, although it seems like a real dumb idea not to have a gun equipped.

I don't understand the reticule complaints. Just holster your gun and it goes. I really wouldn't recommend playing without a reticule on your first play through. It can be hard enough to aim with it on. That way surely lies frustration.

Most people will want to holster it, I do it always, as much as I can because it takes away the HUD as well which it makes it so much more immersive.

Yuterald

Yeah, it kind of is. As well as the save music being the same so far in every chapter. There are checkpoints when you reach certain places but there is also save points and as long as you're near the place, you can save as much as you want. The way you save/upgrade is pretty unique so I won't say how.

Hmm, that's what I feel like I recall hearing/reading. Man, I still wish we could get a game like this built around that "run" mentality. Waiting for the day we get one of those 2-3 hour A-rank run games again, but I guess that ain't happening anytime soon. Oh well, this game looks/sounds really cool at least.

Grief.exe

It's cheaper on CJS cd keys

It is heavily recommended to never use CD key sites. Users often run into problems with region locked games, stolen keys, or chargeback where the keys are revoked from your account.

There are other issues as well, but buyer beware using those type of sites, even if you have used them in the past. They are banned sites on GAF, so refrain from talking about them here or recommending them due to the above issues.

greenfish

Banned
It is heavily recommended to never use CD key sites. Users often run into problems with region locked games, stolen keys, or chargeback where the keys are revoked from your account.

There are other issues as well, but buyer beware using those type of sites, even if you have used them in the past. They are banned sites on GAF, so refrain from talking about them here or recommending them due to the above issues.

Hmm wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting me know.

Where can I see a list of the sites that are banned on neogaf so I don't mention them again

Thanks

So looks like preload is not happening today :(

And tomorrow is maintenance day....

Fuck you Bethesda or Sony or both.

Why can xbox get a preload a week before ? We demand parity !

Edit: Preload is on. Crisis averted !

Resident Evil 4 has "terrible pacing" and "outstays its welcome" coming from a guy who loves Lords of Shadow. I can't even.

Lords of Shadow was a long game, but I thought it had a solid, story driven three act structure that was tonally consistent all the way through. The first three chapters were kind of slow, but I thought the rest of it was great. My complaint about RE4 is that it starts out with a solid horror theme, but keeps throwing in whacky, random elements and by the 2/3 point I thought it could have been wrapped up into a nice, tidy package. Maybe I'm just not making my point clear enough, I dunno. For example in RE4 for no reason other than "we can" they have this bizarre, random underground mine cart sequence. Lords of Shadow doesn't really deviate much from its established tone. You have the first third, which is about Gabriel's journey, then the second stretch which involves reaching the castle, and the final stretch which is about Gabriel's personal descent. RE4 just kind of keeps going.

But I know I shouldn't be talking shit about other games since I liked Lords of Shadow. My bad.

addyb

This looks great and I'm going in without knowing too much. I want a decent survival horror. Just need to get mordor finished.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
havent you beaten the game already?

Nope, I haven't even played it outside of what I have played at PAX. I've just been reporting others non-spoiler impressions and created the spoiler topic to get a necessary evil out of the way. I know some things, but been pretty okay at avoiding many other things.

Sanctuary

I'm staying clear of that.

It wasn't because of any spoilers. I mostly skimmed it anyway. I seriously do not let myself succumb to the massive levels of hype you can see on gaming forums, but holy shit; I may have made an exception.

You'd be surprised at alot of gamers impulse buying games just because others like said games really well. But deep down they don't necessarily enjoy them. Vanquish comes to mind, RE4 has been said and I expect TEW to do the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_polarization

Closely related to peer pressure.

But I know I shouldn't be talking shit about other games since I liked Lords of Shadow. My bad.

Fuck that noise. So what if it wasn't the "traditional" Metroidvania and played closer to a more skill based God of War? I happened to love LoS and to a lesser extent LoS2. The first LoS was better than GoW 3 anyway outside of production.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting me know.

Where can I see a list of the sites that are banned on neogaf so I don't mention them again

Thanks

There's no maintained list but if a site has been blacklisted the URL will be replaced with asterisks. E.g. CJS: http://www.****************/ To clarify, you won't cop a ban for discussing/mentioning key resellers, however recommending them as a purchase option is something that is discouraged for the reasons Grief mentioned.

You were always one of my favorite posters. Not anymore. :p

Well, you're still one of my favorite posters, so fuck you. :p

I understand how people feel about RE4 but I'm not afraid to share my more negative thoughts about the game. I think it's a pretty awesome game overall, but when I replayed it recently I was extremely fatigued and felt like it was way too long and could have been much tighter-- therefore, despite a pretty strong first half or so, pacing wasn't one of its stronger points to me.

StuBurns

Banned

I understand how people feel about RE4 but I'm not afraid to share my more negative thoughts about the game. I think it's a pretty awesome game overall, but when I replayed it recently I was extremely fatigued and felt like it was way too long and could have been much tighter-- therefore, despite a pretty strong first half or so, pacing wasn't one of its stronger points to me.
Blows my mind, it's literally the most perfectly paced game I've played.

Good for you, don't be afraid to share your thoughts no matter how crazy it maybe. :p

You are still a favorite don't worry.

Miguel81

If anything I think Resident Evil 4 has terrible pacing. It's solid for about 2/3 but later into the castle and on it really outstays its welcome. Pacing means more than just how "fast" scenarios move by. So I'm not really sure what to make of that comment either way. As long as the slow stuff in Evil Within feels organic with the whole, I don't really mind the slower pace. What I didn't like about RE4 was how it just started getting so very random and just throwing whatever into the game because they could. I didn't think that was a good thing at all, and it ended up making the game feel extremely bloated and caused the tone to change way too much.

Yeah, after the castle I was just slogging along. It just wasn't want I expected from RE, but at least I had fun for a portion of the game.

Blows my mind, it's literally the most perfectly paced game I've played.

And it's fine to think that. I don't think anyone is ridiculous for disagreeing. I just think it's full of bizarre padding which seemingly only exists to make the game longer. The game could have easily ended at the castle with a great story climax but instead you get out of the castle and there's... another big tower and a mine cart section and another big tower and a giant Salazar statue and then they decide that's not enough so they high-tail it to this random island full of mercenary zombies and shit and it goes from being one thing to this other thing and once you're there it just keeps going longer and longer and longer.

Sorry. I don't think that's good pacing. I think it's a severe lack of restraint. Again, I don't think pacing strictly means how fast something moves. Pacing encompasses a lot of different aspects.

Why would you NOT go with the PC version?! I Unless your pc is ancient?

My PC is rather recent.

I've just been picking up certain multiplatform games for PS4 just to play it more often.

Though I must say I'm very curious to see how it performs on PC given their recommendation specs.

Top Bottom