• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

antitrop

Still not better than the legend
iZMHp4iKcSDXw.gif

We'll have to wait to get a GIF of The Evil Within's rifle reload from the PC version in 16:9 to really compare.

But yeah, close, but probably not better.

Grief.exe

It looks like Arkane Lyon will be using it for Dishonored 2.

BzvQHM3IAAAvxU7.png

The engine really is improving with each release, hopefully the engine will have enough iterations by the time we start seeing sequels pop up.

We'll have to wait to get a GIF of The Evil Within's rifle reload from the PC version in 16:9 to really compare.

But yeah, close, but probably not better.

Too bad we missed out on 60 FPS gifs of the rifles in RE4 UHD.

Varth

Strange, the review is still up. I wonder what's going on.

The doc that came with my code says embargo is on 6.01 AM CET tuesday 14/10. Someone blew his load too early?

Also, again: if someone is interested, I'm doing the locker map. I'm done with the middle row of the 9x3 one, will go for the middle row on the opposite side. If someone would like to concentrate on the other ones...

Lucent

Saw nbnt post the PS4 version in the screenshot thread:

15494604336_d7e35c45c1_o.jpg

That can't be what it looks like can it? The IQ is awful :(

Need Slasher or someone who's played it to say. Though watching streams on Live with PlayStation, the really good streams actually looked better than that to me. So I don't think so.

Sanctuary

Not for last gen it's not. Did he actually take that shot himself? If so, it just looks horribly compressed. Otherwise it just looks like what you would expect to see on the PS3.

800p for ps4 version...what does the PS3 version run at it

why does this game have worse animations than a damn near decade old game tho

idtech5 man

AsfaeksBR

The engine really is improving with each release, hopefully the engine will have enough iterations by the time we start seeing sequels pop up.

IdTech 5 is already dead. DooM is already using IdTech 6, and I remember I read that TEW was going to be the last game to use IdTech 5 (thankfully, because the engine is pure trash)

Not for last gen it's not. Did he actually take that shot himself? If so, it just looks horribly compressed. Otherwise it just looks like what you would expect to see on the PS3.
Yea he took it himself. He's always posted excellent quality shots before from his PS4, so I was a little confused it looked that bad.

The doc that came with my code says embargo is on 6.01 AM CET tuesday 14/10. Someone blew his load too early?

Also, again: if someone is interested, I'm doing the locker map. I'm done with the middle row of the 9x3 one, will go for the middle row on the opposite side. If someone would like to concentrate on the other ones...

Hey, not to bum you out but the lockers appear to be random in what they give out. I saved, opened a locker, reloaded, opened same locker and it was a different item completely.

Majora

Ok, so I'm midway through chapter 11 and I've got this nagging feeling that the game has lost its identity a bit. You know how Resident Evil 5 often felt like a retread of 4? Well in many parts so does The Evil Within. The first few chapters felt like it was doing its own thing. There were still strong Resi 4 vibes for sure but it did have a somewhat distinct flavour. The highlight for me is still probably chapter 3 with its big open multi-layered area to stealth around.

Since then it has, for the most part, gone totally RE4. Not just in terms of it being very action-orientated (although the downtime is probably a little more than RE4) but in terms of enemies, set-pieces, locations. The stealth component has essentially evaporated. The fingerprints of 4 are all over the game - perhaps a bit too much if I'm honest.

Even structurally it bears a heavy resemblance. Village - Castle - Island. There's no castle, and not literally an island, but thematically the game's levels do broadly progress in this way. The bit I'm on now is pure industrial themed with bits of cover and enemies shooting at me and dynamite being thrown at me - sound familiar? If I didn't know better I'd say the story was a madman's fractured memories of playing RE4 a decade ago.

It's varied for sure, but every other set-piece now I get this nagging in the back of my head like 'this sure feels familiar' and I realise it's essentially another enemy/environment/set-piece from 4 with a little twist. There are far worse things in life, of course, but it has resulted in a game that, for me, feels a bit like an extended homage, its overall flavour just a little too borrowed, good though it is.

I can't help but ponder if this was really the game Mikami intended at the outset. Were there cold feet about the viability of anything more old-school? Does even Mikami feel like he can't top his magnum opus?

I like it for sure and its a much better game than Resi 5, but like that game I don't feel like this indirect follow-up can quite emerge from its big brother's looming shadow.

Grief.exe

Looks compressed to me, or they are using an extremely low resolution DOF effect there.

IdTech 5 is already dead. DooM is already using IdTech 6, and I remember I read that TEW was going to be the last game to use IdTech 5 (thankfully, because the engine is pure trash)

We are really saying the same thing, you are just using arbitrary numbers.

Strange, the review is still up. I wonder what's going on.

Note: the embargo for media that received The Evil Within from Bethesda is on October 14th, the day of release. As Bethesda declined to send us a review copy of the game (presumably due to the score we gave Wolfenstein: The New Order) we bought our own copy. As such said embargo does not apply, hence why the review is live now.

Majora

Yeah that whole level does not look good even of PS4. In the daytime the game looks flat as hell and that particular level had lots of aliasing and blurry textures.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yes I took it meself. And no it's not horribly compressed. I use my capture card to take BMPs and convert them to JPG using Alo81's guide, there is no visible compression here, this is how that area looks. (to be clear, the blurry foliage is the result of a focus-like effect that blurs the edges of the screen all the time, you can see it in my other screenshots)

So my copy arrived early from GameStop for PS4 and it's great so far. Only on chapter 2 but it feels like RE4 with its scarce ammo. Bodies don't stay dead you have to use matches to burn them for example.

As for the graphics the letter boxing is a bit disorienting at first because you are rotating the camera More than usual more to see around you because of the lack of screen estate. I guess I'll get used to it. The game is locked at 30fps at 1080p. I haven't noticed any dips bar once or twice when you enter the area and first take control of the character.

Shadows are great and would say they are high setting if it was PC. The game drips with atmosphere and each shot has had a lot of work put in almost like a painting. I like it so far.

Loading could be a bit better it's about 10-15 second wait if you die and reload. Also I noticed some texture pop in for a split second when the camera changes but this only appears to be in cutscenes when it focuses on something else. In gameplay it's fine but it happens sometimes in cutscenes. Guess it's because of Unreal Engine.

Story seems intriguing and there is lots of visual clues and details you can notice in the detailed environments which is cool. Almost like it's telling a story from what you are seeing.

Sanctuary

Yes I took it meself. And no it's not horribly compressed. I use my capture card to take BMPs and convert them to JPG using Alo81's guide, there is no visible compression here, this is how that area looks. (to be clear, the blurry foliage is the result of a focus-like effect that blurs the edges of the screen all the time, you can see it in my other screenshots)

That's some Dark Souls 2 levels of "ugh" going on there. I mean, I actually like the aesthetics, but the graphics are pretty fucking awful.

StuBurns

Banned
Footage is under direct embargo, the written review may not be due to the purchasing method.

I really don't know the legal ramifications here, you just asked why the written review was up.
I asked why it was 'still' up, after the video was pulled. And a publisher can't embargo video content if they're not even sending the outlet the game, and as they're blacklisted, they have no reason to respect a request to pull the video either.

How exactly does that explain them pulling the video review?

Because Bethesda can't control what their website posts, but they can put copyright strikes on videos on youtube due to embargo. As for the information they gave with copies, all footage, reviews, streaming,etc is off limits till release day.

That's some Dark Souls 2 levels of "ugh" going on there. I mean, I actually like the aesthetics, but the graphics are pretty fucking awful.

It looks better in motion but not that better. I noticed the darker or night levels look way better than the day. I bet i'm not the only one who has that feel but aside from that, I am enjoying it very much.

StuBurns

Banned
Because Bethesda can't control what their website posts, but they can put copyright strikes on videos on youtube due to embargo. As for the information they gave with copies, all footage, reviews, streaming,etc is off limits till release day.
Oh, so the video is still on their site. Makes sense.

Sanctuary

It looks better in motion but not that better. I noticed the darker or night levels look way better than the day. I bet i'm not the only one who has that feel but aside from that, I am enjoying it very much.

Dark Souls was nothing to look at in the graphics department overall (yes, I've seen the exaggerated 4k screenshots that no one was actually playing the game at), especially on the consoles. It didn't really matter though, because the game in motion doesn't look the same as a super or shitty screenshot. Despite what super mega resolution, my eyes are better than your eyes people claim. The game used a lot of darkness too, so a lot of the low res textures were covered up.

Dark Souls 2 on the other hand had all of the issues of Dark Souls graphically, with less occlusion.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This is the reason why i will never come in the MGSV OT this close to release. People just don't know what is a spoiler and what not.

and yes new locations are spoilers.

ThisOne

Anybody have a link to a stream? Seems like streams on Twitch are getting shut down pretty quickly although I was able to watch one for awhile yesterday.

Top Bottom