• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

StuBurns

Banned
And it's fine to think that. I don't think anyone is ridiculous for disagreeing. I just think it's full of bizarre padding which seemingly only exists to make the game longer. The game could have easily ended at the castle with a great story climax but instead you get out of the castle and there's... another big tower and a mine cart section and another big tower and a giant Salazar statue and then they decide that's not enough so they high-tail it to this random island full of mercenary zombies and shit and it goes from being one thing to this other thing and once you're there it just keeps going longer and longer and longer.

Sorry. I don't think that's good pacing. I think it's a severe lack of restraint. Again, I don't think pacing strictly means how fast something moves. Pacing encompasses a lot of different aspects.
I guess it depends on in what sense you're judging it. You mentioned a story climax, I think the story is terrible, in all the REs, and I don't care about it at all, so it's not a touchstone in the pacing to me. I think the encounters never let up in quality, so I never saw any of it as padding. It all feels very cohesive in game design, even if it's not in story.

It's probably the most consistent quality of any game its length I think. Maintaining those combat peaks with the traversal for around twenty hours is just mind blowing.

It's a difficult thing to discuss, because for many it's this pivotal point where one of their favorite franchises took a radical shift, and has never come back, and probably never will. It has a lot of contextual baggage in that sense, if it had been just a new IP, I think it wouldn't be such a controversial game, although also probably not such an influential one either.

That preload popping up is getting my hype to untold levels. I thought this was out like Wednesday or something. The hell have I been doing lol

Lucent

And it's fine to think that. I don't think anyone is ridiculous for disagreeing. I just think it's full of bizarre padding which seemingly only exists to make the game longer. The game could have easily ended at the castle with a great story climax but instead you get out of the castle and there's... another big tower and a mine cart section and another big tower and a giant Salazar statue and then they decide that's not enough so they high-tail it to this random island full of mercenary zombies and shit and it goes from being one thing to this other thing and once you're there it just keeps going longer and longer and longer.

Sorry. I don't think that's good pacing. I think it's a severe lack of restraint. Again, I don't think pacing strictly means how fast something moves. Pacing encompasses a lot of different aspects.

Eh, I loved every minute of it. It felt like a big adventure to me. At least environments were changing and stuff.

Matt Lee the IDIOT who said Killer is dead is Misogyny personafied!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqVpD31LAfs

"Killer is Dead: Just Like Suda 51's Career" <--- that's what the prick choose for a title, i'm glad the DISLIKES speaks for themself.

That idiot can fuck off with his career. That video he made pretty much is beyond braindead and offers nothing but his own white knight agenda into the "review".

To be honest, Matt Less is generally on point but I agree, that video is pretty stupid.

Pretty excited for my copy of The Evil Within! :D

I guess it depends on in what sense you're judging it. You mentioned a story climax, I think the story is terrible, in all the REs, and I don't care about it at all, so it's not a touchstone in the pacing to me. I think the encounters never let up in quality, so I never saw any of it as padding. It all feels very cohesive in game design, even if it's not in story.

It's probably the most consistent quality of any game its length I think. Maintaining those combat peaks with the traversal for around twenty hours is just mind blowing.

All of that is fair. What I was saying though was that I thought the story could have easily ended just as well at the end of the castle. The story obviously is shit, but I'm not necessarily talking about the quality of the narrative. The game design itself is fantastic, but the further it goes, the more I start to wear out and lose interest. I get that feeling of "just end already."

Eh, I loved every minute of it. It felt like a big adventure to me. At least environments were changing and stuff.

And that's a great thing. If someone likes it more than me, that just means they had a great time with it (as I too had a mostly great time with it). I'm not tearing the game a new asshole, just mentioning how I thought it overstayed itself.

Sanctuary

All of that is fair. What I was saying though was that I thought the story could have easily ended just as well at the end of the castle. The story obviously is shit, but I'm not necessarily talking about the quality of the narrative. The game design itself is fantastic, but the further it goes, the more I start to wear out and lose interest. I get that feeling of "just end already."

I can't remember the last time that I wanted fun to just end already. ;)

It's crazy I thought the opposite when I played it on the Gamecube the first time. I was just like "there's more? Yes!" lol

It was the game's version of the upside down castle.

Lucent

It's crazy I thought the opposite when I played it on the Gamecube the first time. I was just like "there's more? Yes!" lol

JoeFenix

PS4 preload is active for me on the East Coast 4850MB + 40GB install, 33 hours left till unlock.

These preloads are so dumb, you only let me download the BARE minimum to get started when the game unlocks but if I have a slow connection I'll only be able to play the first chapter before having to wait for the rest of the 40GB to download.

40GB on my connection takes 24 hours to download. Why not let me preload the entire thing instead?

I can't remember the last time that I wanted fun to just end already. ;)

That's the thing, I start having less fun as it goes. I think it peaks somewhere in the castle, though I'm not exactly sure where, and is on a steady decline after that-- though it never gets bad or anything. Just... less amazing as the fatigue begins to settle in. I think if the story reached a blistering climax in the castle I would think it's one of the greatest games of all time.

Being on a high the first time I played through it, yeah, I would say I felt that way too. The first time. But on replays I thought it started to settle in to me that it was maybe too long for its own good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

And then you finally hit the credits and it's like

oh yeah, here's mercenaries. And pro mode. and a hundred different things to unlock. Regardless of how TEW ends up I feel like I should just write yearly checks to mikami for the sheer amount of value I got out of that game.

Ateron

He doesn't have to watch my review, nor support my content. He is at least being honest which is what I have been this entire time. Though what I bolded is pretty much dead on. That's how I view it really. I like to know thoughts on others that have passion for the genres. Just like antitrop has a huge passion for FPS as example, I look forward to his thoughts on said genre. Horror games are one of my "things" but I won't force anyone to view my opinion. It's just that, and everyone has one. I took no offense either. What really boggles my mind though is that I'm one of the most laid back, and up front folks when it comes to my thoughts for games, etc and I don't take a "this game is holier then thou" approach. Yet you'd perhaps otherwise after the type of responses I've seen today towards me. It's actually a bit depressing and makes me rethink posting on GAF at all.

Don't let those comments get to you man! I appreciate the work you've been doing in this thread. This game needs more exposure and I'm happy to see that there still are people out there with genuine interest for the genre. I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow. I'm not expecting another RE4 in terms of production values, but something tells me it's gonna be special. If not, it happens. But I'm really optimistic about the game.

Sanctuary

That's the thing, I start having less fun as it goes. I think it peaks somewhere in the castle, though I'm not exactly sure where, and is on a steady decline after that-- though it never gets bad or anything. Just... less amazing as the fatigue begins to settle in. I think if the story reached a blistering climax in the castle I would think it's one of the greatest games of all time.

I already understood what you had written. I was just poking fun at your insanity.

Being on a high the first time I played through it, yeah, I would say I felt that way too. The first time. But on replays I thought it started to settle in to me that it was maybe too long for its own good.

Is that even fair though? I thought first time experiences were the most important anyway. There are very few games that I've actually wanted to replay, even if I thought that single playthrough was fantastic.

Strange, the review is still up. I wonder what's going on.

What does it matter; can Bethesda force a removal of a non spoiler review on a site that they never gave a review copy to in the first place?

RE4 island sometimes gets some shit but I don't get it. A lot of the best parts of the game is on the island. The best boss battle of the game, Krauser is on the island. It is one of the best boss battles as well. The Mike setpiece is one of the most exciting moments of the game. Regenerators are the creepiest enemies in the game and introduce a nice twist to the combat.

Lucent

Well, that might've been part of it. But I became so good at the game that even doing more playthroughs didn't feel that long to me. I went to Professional mode not long after my first and I was so effecient at killing the enemies that I ended up with quite a faster time and had a ton more ammo than even on Normal. Was crazy.

And then you finally hit the credits and it's like

oh yeah, here's mercenaries. And pro mode. and a hundred different things to unlock. Regardless of how TEW ends up I feel like I should just write yearly checks to mikami for the sheer amount of value I got out of that game.

Yep. Really would like to see some added modes to TEW but I'm sure I'll get enough replayability out of it. But yeah RE4 had a ton of content for a game of its type. I love that the HD version came with both of Ada's side games, too. I actually found those to be fun.

RE4 island sometimes gets some shit but I don't get it. A lot of the best parts of the game is on the island. The best boss battle of the game, Krauser is on the island. It is one of the best boss battles as well. The Mike setpiece is one of the most exciting moments of the game. Regenerators are the creepiest enemies in the game and introduce a nice twist to the combat.

There's still no enemy that surpasses the regenerators and iron maidens for me. First time I saw a regenerator I was like "what the fu--" and it went stretch armstrong style and grabbed me from 2 miles away* and bit my neck and I was like "HOLY SHIT!"

*may be an exaggeration

zoukka

RE4 defies the laws of game design. How such a long action game can stay so fresh and offer new challenges from the first minute to the last is a godly achievement.

It's still not surpassed in action genre by any other game.

RE4 defies the laws of game design. How such a long action game can stay so fresh and offer new challenges from the first minute to the last is a godly achievement.

This. It is something that should be studied and analyzed by all action game designers.

Is that even fair though? I thought first time experiences were the most important anyway. There are very few games that I've actually wanted to replay, even if I thought that single playthrough was fantastic.

Definitely, but I don't think it's unfair to criticize something on second glance. I see movies all the time that I either liked or disliked more on successive viewings as either pros or cons begin to develop upon further inspection.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Seems like we have another solid review for the game before the embargo

readersgambit - 8/10

PROS
- Great Atmosphere
- Terrifying Enemies

CONS

- Buggy
- Frustrating Camera Angles

IT_HAS_BEGUN!!!.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If anything I think Resident Evil 4 has terrible pacing. It's solid for about 2/3 but later into the castle and on it really outstays its welcome. Pacing means more than just how "fast" scenarios move by. So I'm not really sure what to make of that comment either way. As long as the slow stuff in Evil Within feels organic with the whole, I don't really mind the slower pace. What I didn't like about RE4 was how it just started getting so very random and just throwing whatever into the game because they could. I didn't think that was a good thing at all, and it ended up making the game feel extremely bloated and caused the tone to change way too much.

nicholas-cage-laughing.gif

Lucent

When's the embargo lifted?

When Monday becomes Tuesday.

NEO0MJ

Replayed it this year in preparation for this and it's still so good. Most shooters still don't have enemies as well designed as the Ganados, how crazy is that?!

Gbraga

These preloads are so dumb, you only let me download the BARE minimum to get started when the game unlocks but if I have a slow connection I'll only be able to play the first chapter before having to wait for the rest of the 40GB to download.

40GB on my connection takes 24 hours to download. Why not let me preload the entire thing instead?

It does.

Go to the Evil Within icon, press options and information. It's download all the 30 something GBs.

antitrop

As I said before, Krauser was a highlight of the game for me, single-handedly justifying the island's existence.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I suspect my main issue with it is that it's not as aesthetically pleasing IMO as the rest of the game. I have never liked industrial environments in the RE series (or any video game really; they often strike me as a cheap cop-out in terms of assets and level design), but fortunately RE4 still manages to keep things visually varied within that setting. Also the parts with turrets and machine gun guys can wear a little thin for me. But you're absolutely right that they put some of the highlights of the game in the island section

Outside the few complains that review described the game I hope TEW is. Sounds fantastic.

Yep. The bugginess is a shame, but if the horror elements, gameplay and atmosphere are that good, I'll have little to complain about.

You know, unless it has bad pacing or something.

I suspect my main issue with it is that it's not as aesthetically pleasing IMO as the rest of the game. I have never liked industrial environments in the RE series (or any video game really; they often strike me as a cheap cop-out in terms of assets and level design), but fortunately RE4 still manages to keep things visually varied within that setting. Also the parts with turrets and machine gun guys can wear a little thin for me. But you're absolutely right that they put some of the highlights of the game in the island section

I love the Regenerators and the Krauser standoffs for sure.

Sanctuary

Skimming through the past reviews on that site has led me to believe that on planet Earth, the score was actually 7/10. Their reviews are super inflated with all the usual suspects.

Dark Souls 2 a 10? Jesus Christ. It's an 8 at best. I read the actual review too, which consisted of three paragraphs worth of...nothing. I'm not sure what ot actually believe with the content of their TEW review, because it basically read like everything I wanted to see.

http://www.videogamer.com/reviews/?direction=desc&type=review&order=score

Skimming through the past reviews on that site has led me to believe that on planet Earth, the score was actually 7/10. Their reviews are super inflated with all the usual suspects.

Dark Souls 2 a 10? Jesus Christ. It's an 8 at best. I read the actual review too, which consisted of three paragraphs worth of...nothing.

DS2 is fantastic, 9 for sure, my GOTY so far.

Sanctuary

DS2 is fantastic, 9 for sure, my GOTY so far.

It's well above the average game for sure, but it's actually not that great if you compare it to Demon's and the first Dark; neither of which were 10/10, but really fucking close. It has a whole lot of issues. I've said in other threads that it's going to be sad if Dark Souls 2 ends up as my GOTY, because so far it is.

Look at what I linked too if you haven't. Might put things into perspective.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls 2 a 10? Jesus Christ. It's an 8 at best. I read the actual review too, which consisted of three paragraphs worth of...nothing. I'm not sure what ot actually believe with the content of their TEW review, because it basically read like everything I wanted to see.

The problems in the design of Dark Souls 2 don't become readily apparent until it has been seen on a wider scale. IE RPG mechanics, level design, and SL online issues.

It's well above the average game for sure, but it's actually not that great if you compare it to Demon's and the first Dark; neither of which were 10/10, but really fucking close. It has a whole lot of issues. I've said in other threads that it's going to be sad if Dark Souls 2 ends up as my GOTY, because so far it is.

Look at what I linked too if you haven't. Might put things into perspective.

So they use 10 frequently,I have no issue with that if it is consistent. Pretty much every game on that list is a 9 or higher for me so there is a correlation there. I have no clue why LA Noire is there though... (oh it keeps going, thats a whole lot of 10s, but mostly games I would give 9s too. But I see what you mean, maybe adjust the scores one point down to get to what most would use)

Nuke Soda

Seeing all those 10 sort of reminds me of how I get a little excitable and will call this game or that the best game evah OMG, but luckily for me I am not a critic. :)

God forbid someone has a different opinion than yourself.

Top Bottom