• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

This is the reason why i will never come in the MGSV OT this close to release. People just don't know what is a spoiler and what not.

and yes new locations are spoilers.

How many OTs have successfully not posted a single thing that was even the tiniest bit spoilery a few days before release? It's just gotten worse thanks to all of the early releases. I don't particularly think that the screenshot is really a spoiler. I don't know at what point of the game it's act, nor the situation of that scenario. Now maybe if this thread had 10 - 20 new screenshots I'd start to worry.

Soundtrack so far is mostly quite with general ambient/creepy noises except for the save room song you hear from a far when a save room is near. When things get crazy you get the usual intense scary "oh shit" music. Nothing special though or amazing.

The classic RE's are way superior in soundtrack however this is not what this game is trying to be. The game is kind of like being inside of a rolling ball, it's a clusterfuck of things and environments you are going through. That's as much as I could say without spoiling anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

Does it compare this the above track?

:)

Nuke Soda

Saw nbnt post the PS4 version in the screenshot thread:

15494604336_d7e35c45c1_o.jpg

That can't be what it looks like can it? The IQ is awful :(

I am going to admit to my ignorance and ask what IQ is. What is IQ?

I'l just peak in here to complain about you guys.
I already got spoiled two times in this thread. TWO TIMES.

Fur fucks sake Shinobi, don't embed screenshots if they show new locations.

And NoirVisage, that gif you posted awhile ago was spoilery too. God dammit.

Me and others want to go blind into this game. I planned to visit this thread regurarly and I don't want it ruined by people who don't give a rat ass about spoiling people. In other OTs mods would ban you if you post spoilery stuff.

Just please think before you show something here.

/Rant off

Nuke Soda

Me and others want to go blind into this game. I planned to visit this thread regurarly and I don't want it ruined buy people who don't give a rat ass about spoiling people. In other OTs mods would ban you if you post spoilery stuff.

/Rant off

Ruvik is actually a bear the whole time. Boom.

That's the thing, I start having less fun as it goes. I think it peaks somewhere in the castle, though I'm not exactly sure where, and is on a steady decline after that-- though it never gets bad or anything. Just... less amazing as the fatigue begins to settle in. I think if the story reached a blistering climax in the castle I would think it's one of the greatest games of all time.

Being on a high the first time I played through it, yeah, I would say I felt that way too. The first time. But on replays I thought it started to settle in to me that it was maybe too long for its own good.

I'm guessing you guys are talking about RE4?

Yea, I was playing through it the other month and reached the mine cart part before stopping. I just got bored of shooting everything in sight and it really wasn't challenging anymore. I'll eventually get back to it because I haven't beaten it in years, but yea, RE4 is great but not the GOAT like some people make it out to be.

AsfaeksBR

Impressions and stuff

I'm that kind of monster that prefered Resident Evil 5 over RE4
don't kill me gaf ;_;
because of the combat and mostly because of the controller layout (which is the Preset 3 on RE4 HD, but I can't replay RE4 now because my 360 controller has a faulty LB so I still think RE5 > RE4).

I don't have this "RE4 is a Masterpiece" thinking, and I'm going to TEW because of the gameplay, the story and those "mindfuck moments" people are talking about.

Is this game for me?
I'm still getting it, but I need to know

Grief.exe

Me and others want to go blind into this game. I planned to visit this thread regurarly and I don't want it ruined by people who don't give a rat ass about spoiling people. In other OTs mods would ban you if you post spoilery stuff.

/Rant off

I skim any pre-release thread. I participate in some discussion, but as soon as someone starts discussing things that pertain to certain aspects of the game I move on.

Tough to miss the gifs and screenshots though.

I'm that kind of monster that prefered Resident Evil 5 over RE4
don't kill me gaf ;_;
because of the combat and mostly because of the controller layout (which is the Preset 3 on RE4 HD, but I can't replay RE4 now because my 360 controller has a faulty LB so I still think RE5 > RE4).

I don't have this "RE4 is a Masterpiece" thinking, and I'm going to TEW because of the gameplay, the story and those "mindfuck moments" people are talking about.

Is this game for me?
I'm still getting it, but I need to know

I think you answered your own question right there.

Enjoy it for what it is as I don't see it being overwhelmingly like RE4 or 5. For what it's worth, all the things above that you said interested you about the game are the same things Mikami would often mention in interviews.

I have a feeling that the current "status" of the world (Ebola, Daesh, Russia invading Ukraine etc.) will have a cooling effect on these kinds of games. There is enough terror and horror in the world so people wanting to escape it do not want to play these kinds of games.

Right?
Wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q

Does it compare this the above track?

:)

lmao, thanks for the laugh. This comment especially
" This makes me think of when I used to have an electric keyboard as a kid and would just hit all the keys randomly.. "
but seriously, the RE OST's are way superior than this game however that game is also designed way differently than this game so I can't compare. RE and TEW both do their own separate things, it's just that TEW's soundtrack is not it's strongest suite.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a feeling that the current "status" of the world (Ebola, Daesh, Russia invading Ukraine etc.) will have a cooling effect on these kinds of games. There is enough terror and horror in the world so people wanting to escape it do not want to play these kinds of games.

Right?
Wrong?

History shows wrong, horror actually gets more popular when horrific things happen in the world. Look up why zombie movies even got popular in the first place and the timing of the original Night of the Living Dead, or when old black and white monster movies started getting popular during the great depression.

Right?
Wrong?

Too bad for those that love horror/survival horror games and is going to miss it because it's a really good game with varied environments, enemies and other insane shit.

Right?
Wrong?

lol, NO!

Right?
Wrong?

Nah, ill play these games no matter what's happening, so from my standpoint i dont see it stopping anytime soon, just like horror films wont be stopping anytime soon either

History shows wrong, horror actually gets more popular when horrific things happen in the world. Look up why zombie movies even got popular in the first place and the timing of the original Night of the Living Dead, or when old black and white monster movies started getting popular during the great depression.

You are indeed correct!

Right?
Wrong?

Hahahahaha

Sanctuary

Yes ,but you have to take also into account the "cinematic" black bars like the order

A more relevant game (one that people have actually played) should be mentioned instead.
Dragon's Dogma. A handful of people bitched about the black bars, yet many talked about how they completely forgot about them after a while; myself included.

Aeana

This is the reason why i will never come in the MGSV OT this close to release. People just don't know what is a spoiler and what not.

and yes new locations are spoilers.
If you don't want to know stuff about a game, get out of the official thread. The onus is on YOU to avoid spoilers if you're more sensitive than the average person. Stuff like story reveals and things like that are protected, but when you're complaining at people for posting screenshots, it's time to back away instead of inconveniencing everyone else.

StuBurns

Banned
A more relevant game (one that people have actually played) should be mentioned instead.
Dragon's Dogma. A handful of people bitched about the black bars, yet many talked about how they completely forgot about them after a while; myself included.
Dragon's Dogma has black bars, but tiny ones by comparison.

Beyond Two Souls is the obvious example I guess.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
If you don't want to know stuff about a game, get out of the official thread. The onus is on YOU to avoid spoilers if you're more sensitive than the average person. Stuff like story reveals and things like that are protected, but when you're complaining at people for posting screenshots, it's time to back away instead of inconveniencing everyone else.

Thank you. It's awfully silly when someone who is taking great pains to go in "completely blind" rolls into a thread of free-wheeling discussion and expects people to bend to their personal needs. Going in completely blind is difficult, that's why more people don't do it. Not being able to participate in forum discussion is just part of that difficulty.

I've never actually understood "Location spoilers" like its not spoiling anything if you don't know what the location holds, like if people were posting descriptions of whats going on in late game locations, i could see being upset, but seeing a mountain with buildings on it, doesn't really spoil anything

I've never actually understood "Location spoilers" like its not spoiling anything if you don't know what the location holds, like if people were posting descriptions of whats going on in late game locations, i could see being upset, but seeing a mountain with buildings on it, doesn't really spoil anything

I disagree, but w/e. There's something really precious about being completely surprised when a new location is revealed in a game. (I do realize that I shouldn't be browsing the OT close to release if I want that to happen..)

Top Bottom