• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

This is the reason why i will never come in the MGSV OT this close to release. People just don't know what is a spoiler and what not.

and yes new locations are spoilers.

opened the thread, read this at the top, said 'okay, then - i'm outa here', & away i go :) ...

thanks, man. i usually avoid ots for games i'm interested in until i'm at least most of the way through. you've reminded me why...

AmyS

Damn, I am really torn.

There are really four more games I want to get this year on PS4, not counting GTA V.

1. The Evil Within
2. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
3. Dragon Age Inquisition
4. Metro Redux

If I can only afford two of those games, which two should go with ?

Damn, I am really torn.

There are really four more games I want to get this year on PS4, not counting GTA V.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

The two new ones. TEW and DA:I should be the best two games on that list.

Yuterald

Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

I heard the Sleeping Dogs port/update is sort of ass-y. Not sure if that makes it any easier for you.

Sanctuary

I've never actually understood "Location spoilers" like its not spoiling anything if you don't know what the location holds, like if people were posting descriptions of whats going on in late game locations, i could see being upset, but seeing a mountain with buildings on it, doesn't really spoil anything

Some view it as bad as a boss shot.

Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

1&3

StuBurns

Banned
Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

Sleeping Dogs has questionable performance, and DAI will inevitably get a ton of DLC you'll be able to get in a GotY version if you wait a year.

antitrop

Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

Evil Within and Dragon Age, of course. Easy choice.

Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

Metro Redux because the Metro games are solid first person shooters and The Evil Within because why not.

MedIC86

Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

Really depends on what you like but if the reviews are good i would say The evil Within and DA inquisition.

Other games can be picked up cheap in a while.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Saw nbnt post the PS4 version in the screenshot thread:

15494604336_d7e35c45c1_o.jpg

That can't be what it looks like can it? The IQ is awful :(

Game has always kind of looked like ass, which makes it even more insane that it can't even run at a steady 30fps on an engine made for 60.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

You're asking about a game 99% of us haven't played yet, and another none of us have played.

I haven't played Sleeping Dogs, but Metro is really good value if you like first-person shooters with really thick, oppressive atmospheres. I was impressed by 2033, but I don't recommend Last Light.

If the thought of crawling around in dark spaces, managing resources, occasionally jumping out the shoot some monsters and periodically stopping by in Half-Life 2 style towns sounds like something you'd enjoy, Metro 2033 is a no-brainer. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
You're asking about a game 99% of us haven't played yet, and another none of us have played.

I haven't played Sleeping Dogs, but Metro is really good value if you like first-person shooters with really thick, oppressive atmospheres. I was impressed by 2033, but I don't recommend Last Light.

If the thought of crawling around in dark spaces, managing resources, occasionally jumping out the shoot some monsters and periodically stopping by in Half-Life 2 style towns sounds like something you'd enjoy, Metro 2033 is a no-brainer. :p

I didn't think it was possible to find this opinion. I liked 2033 but Last Light it is a much better game, even in Redux form.

Sanctuary

My Plasma thanks you.

And people still claim that's not a problem. Six months worth of MvC3 health bars at the top of my screen from a single five hour session, with SF4 meters forever on screen (but pretty much imperceptible) beg to differ.
Currently the Shadow of Mordor minimap is hanging around. Never ever had a problem with black bars though. Each section is trying to reach black levels, so it affects the "temp burn in" quite a bit differently than what most huds do. A single movie with black bars only requires maybe five to ten minutes of full screen viewing for me, or just two minutes of scroll bar to erase.

DA:I is going to be a nightmare.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think it was possible to find this opinion. I liked 2033 but Last Light it is a much better game, even in Redux form.

It's an unpopular opinion, but Last Light felt like 2033 with all the edges filed away. In 2033, you're just some guy trying to stay alive in the tunnels, and most of the power-brokers in the world don't -- give -- a -- fuck that you're around. I admire that.

2033 probably had lower lows than LL, but man, it had fucking range. The moments that worked were almost better because of it. LL was operated on one frequency at all times: just barely good enough.

This has kind of come out of nowhere for me. Haven't followed any of the announcements or discussion but after watching some gameplay, I'm in. I could use me some Mikami survival horror. Now I gotta decide on PS4 or PC.. hmm.

Miguel81

Damn, I am really torn.

1. The Evil Within
4. Metro Redux

No Alien? Or do you already have it?

I'd choose TEW and Dragon Age from that list.

And people still claim that's not a problem. Six months worth of MvC3 health bars at the top of my screen from a single five hour session, with SF4 meters forever on screen (but pretty much imperceptible) beg to differ.
Currently the Shadow of Mordor minimap is hanging around.

Yikes...this is the most serious reason to not buy a plasma, although it offers no motion blur,dark blacks,very bright whites and accurate colours.

Currently the Shadow of Mordor minimap is hanging around. Never ever had a problem with black bars though. Each section is trying to reach black levels, so it affects the "temp burn in" quite a bit differently than what most huds do. A single movie with black bars only requires maybe five to ten minutes of full screen viewing for me, or just two minutes of scroll bar to erase.

DA:I is going to be a nightmare.

How old is your plasma?

HUD's usually never stick around on mine. Mine is about 2 years old and is much better than the first plasma I bought. I'm still really cautious about burn in though. I use the scrolling bar quite often.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Partner life gauge? Sadness.

I don't think you'll have to worry that much about it. All I'll say from what I know is that it's nothing like you might be expecting if you're thinking of.

This is seriously a minor spoiler, but still a spoiler, so I'm gonna spoiler mark it, about the partner life guage:
There are certain sections of the game you'll run into Joseph/Juli, your two cop friends you enter the facility with at the beginning. They're their mostly to help you, two examples being of being in the fight with you against enemies or taking a sniping position and giving you assist. They can take damage and may request if you'd be willing to drop them a health line, but from what I've heard how they're handled and their AI is actually very good, and they often are doing things separate to your objective anyway, and aren't there the whole game or anything.

Sanctuary

How old is your plasma?

HUD's usually never stick around on mine. Mine is about 2 years old and is much better than the first plasma I bought. I'm still really cautious about burn in though. I use the scrolling bar quite often.

2009 Panasonic. The SF4/MvC issues could have been avoided with a little more diligence. Hell, I'd put in ten hour sessions of Demon's Souls within the first week of owning the TV, and the hud elements remained a while, but they went away in about a month. For games with a lot of static shit on screen, I need to start actually using a timer for long sessions for the scroll bar. Normally I just watch shows on Netflix or mkvs that usually fill up the screen to help remove the after images. It saddens me that Panasonic left the plasma market, because I was going to buy another in a few years. Samsung is nice and all, but they don't really compare.

The extra babysitting is annoying, but I would never trade it for an LCD. I wouldn't even trade it for most of the current 4k sets. I'm waiting for OLED to actually catch up as well as becoming affordable.

AmyS

Thanks for the suggestions (keep them coming).

I'm really leaning towards The Evil Within + Sleeping Dogs because if I don't buy and play SD soon if get it after I play GTA V in November, I probably won't enjoy SD nearly as much as I would if I play it before GTA V comes out.

I'm pretty sure GTA V is gonna destroy my experience with SD if I wait. The Evil Within however, seems like a must-have.

As for Dragon Age Inquisition, I think I can wait until January to play it, I'll want something at that time to hold me over until and Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 arrive in Feb.

Drewfonse

Yikes...this is the most serious reason to not buy a plasma, although it offers no motion blur,dark blacks,very bright whites and accurate colours.

For the record, I adore my 4 year old Panny Plasma. I haven't had any issues with permanent burn in. I was asking about the brightness setting because I like my picture a little bit brighter than what my TV is set to for games, I'd rather not tinker with the TV's settings to compensate for an overly dark game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
If you don't want to know stuff about a game, get out of the official thread. The onus is on YOU to avoid spoilers if you're more sensitive than the average person. Stuff like story reveals and things like that are protected, but when you're complaining at people for posting screenshots, it's time to back away instead of inconveniencing everyone else.

Wait, are you saying it is ok to post unofficial screenshots let's say from the end level when there are no story spoilers? if that is the case then i guess im more sensitive to spoilers than the average person and it's indeed time to back away.

2009 Panasonic. The SF4/MvC issues could have been avoided with a little more diligence. Hell, I'd put in ten hour sessions of Demon's Souls within the first week of owning the TV, and the hud elements remained a while, but they went away in about a month. For games with a lot of static shit on screen, I need to start actually using a timer for long sessions for the scroll bar. Normally I just watch shows on Netflix or mkvs that usually fill up the screen to help remove the after images. It saddens me that Panasonic left the plasma market, because I was going to buy another in a few years. Samsung is nice and all, but they don't really compare.

The extra babysitting is annoying, but I would never trade it for an LCD. I wouldn't even trade it for most of the current 4k sets. I'm waiting for OLED to actually catch up as well as becoming affordable.

Yea, the first one I had was a 2009 panasonic. I remember the sales clerk telling me when I bought my new one that burn in prevention had greatly improved in newer models.

So bummed to hear that panasonic no longer makes plasmas, I love mine and had planned on getting another when that time rolls around.

My first plasma, I fell asleep which watching 'Dead Alive' and had the friggin dvd menu burned in for a few days, I think I left the scrolling bar on for probably at least 2 days straight, ha.

StuBurns

Banned
Fuck waiting a year. Inquisition is over 100 hours long. If that is not a good value regardless of DLC nothing is.
It's not so much the value, it's how complete it feels. Mass Effect 2 is a weighty game, but for me, without the Shadow Broker DLC, it feels very hollow, and returning to games months later tends to be a shitty experience I find.

Obviously all wildly subjective.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wait, are you saying it is ok to post unofficial screenshots let's say from the end level when there are no story spoilers? if that is the case then i guess im more sensitive to spoilers than the average person and it's indeed time to back away.
I think screens of crazy, out of left field areas should be considered spoilers but the one you're upset about is exactly the sort of thing I expected out of this game and I've barely even looked at footage.

Top Bottom