• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Drewfonse

What the hell kind of plasma do you own that requires max color and sharpness? Jesus Christ that sounds bad.

And then you'll probably go back to where you initially had it. That sounds like a really bad way to (unprofessionally) calibrate a set.

At least get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V6LST0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the TV I ended up with in 2009: http://www.wired.com/2009/04/pr_0422_thx_tv/ only paid $800 too.

I think that I have the model right below this. Or maybe I have this one, I can't remember. I absolutely love the TV. You're right, most games do have a brightness setting, but some games don't. I love it when I go into a game's brightness menu, only to find a "adjust your TV's brightness setting until you can only see blahblahblah". Seriously?

Driveclub is my most recent purchase, and it doesn't have an adjustable brightness.

Sanctuary

I thought Alien was a flawed masterpiece, but i completely understand why someone would think it was awful and that is fine, but it really does irritate me how neither of these reviewers seemed to grasp core gameplay mechanics.

Did you actually read or watch the Gamespot review? Because he very clearly understands the game mechanics, and even praises them. That wasn't the issue VanOrd had.

edit: I had never actually bothered to read or watch the IGN review until now since I normally just ignore the site altogether. The main complaint from VanOrd is the same complaint from Mccaffrey: pacing.
They both seemed to have actually loved the core aspects of the game, especially the first half or so.

vg260

Has anyone asked what would make the Tech 5 engine better?

What do you mean exactly? It's kind of moot though for this game though.

I think it's fair to say some annoying technical and performance issues can be attributed to the engine used. I don't know why this engine was used, but, if the game might have run better on other engines, it is a little disappointing to think about. Even more so when the biggest cons seem to be more performance related, and not gameplay related.

StuBurns

Banned
Has anyone asked what would make the Tech 5 engine better? Mikami couldn't of sat there messing around for months on an engine. He's got to know something for sure. I think what gets me is that we imagine hell to just break lose. Did Bethesda just fund him the Tech 5 because they own id?

We don't necessarily have the horror genre to where it was on the PS2 either. I can't imagine this plethra of indie hits or sleeper titles running away with the grand prize either. That's what upset me about the whole thing in the first place. I'd rather go back a decade than sit with something new and believe a generation didn't influence nothing.
Have you played PT? I think it's a perfect example of what technology can bring to the horror genre beyond what previous generations were capable of. There's a far greater sense of place, of being grounded in this horrible environment. It's very affective.

Frillen

I have a Panasonic Viera X Series 42".

There's really no reason to explain myself in detail other than the simple fact that, uh...I like the way it looks, ha.

None of my roommates have complained, in fact, they've noticed the difference as well.

actually, here are my exact settings, I was wrong, I have the brightness up slightly.

viewing mode- dynamic
contrast - 100
brightness - +7
colour - 100
sharpness - 100
tint - 0
colour balance - warm
vivid colour - on

My shit looks awesome, also have 5.1 for the added depth.

Don't knock it till you've seen it, lol.

Color should be 50 and Sharpness <25.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
What do you mean exactly? It's kind of moot though for this game though.

I think it's fair to say some annoying technical and performance issues can be attributed to the engine used. I don't know why this engine was used, but, if the game might have run better on other engines, it is a little disappointing to think about. Even more so when the biggest cons seem to be more performance related, and not gameplay related.

I played both Rage and Wolfenstein. The game wouldn't run at first (either one), so I had to do a little tuning with the graphical options. I don't think it's been used a lot. I heard so many great things about it, but I haven't really seen anyone do more than Wolfenstein. It seems like it's just getting older and older. I personally like the Tech 5 engine more than I do the Cryengine to be honest. I think it feels better.

Have you played PT? I think it's a perfect example of what technology can bring to the horror genre beyond what previous generations were capable of. There's a far greater sense of place, of being grounded in this horrible environment. It's very affective.

Oh yeah. I deleted save after save to do it all. I think that's working because Kojima knows how to make a game work from the point of extinction. He made the MGS games replayable after so many years. He can entertain you. He took you away from a 3rd person perspective for a teaser. It was like we were actually in a house. I can only think that someone of his caliber could do something like that.

Everything else though? The other horror games haven't caught that memorable feeling IMO. You could go back to SH2 or even 4 and find things scarier than say what's running at 1080p. New games want to open doors and turn off lights. That stuff isn't scary no matter how good it looks. PT however took just about every element and pushed it. It didn't just slap you in a face like a haunted house. Look at the new PT trailer. Where the kid is getting his head sucked by this giant creature thing. That's about where games need to go to feel fresh. That new sense of hell in horror. They have to hit that spot.

Xater

OMatt Lee the IDIOT who said Killer is dead is Misogyny personafied!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqVpD31LAfs

"Killer is Dead: Just Like Suda 51's Career" <--- that's what the prick choose for a title, i'm glad the DISLIKES speaks for themself.

That idiot can fuck off with his career. That video he made pretty much is beyond braindead and offers nothing but his own white knight agenda into the "review".

Wow am I glad I came back to see this gem. A true showing of colors with a really dumb post. Bravo!

Sanctuary

If you haven't played the game, how would you know he understands the gameplay mechanics?

Because I've been following his reviews ever since he first started working for Gamespot, and the majority of the time he knows what's going on. He was actually very vocal on the Gamspot forums for a long while before he was even hired. He's also pretty much the only person on Gamespot I'll give the time of day to.

So basically you don't.

This doesn't even make any sense. I know that he knows what he's talking about as far as how I view games even if I don't necessarily agree with some of his actual opinions. The guy was definitely a gamer first and not just some Joe scrub hired off the street to write PR fluff. You're basically saying that I have no idea about who I've found to be almost completely reliable with views that match my own. I've been gaming since the 80s, so it's not like I'm new to how reviews work, their value, or lack thereof.

As I mentioned earlier, it just looked like another version of Outlast. I've already played Amnesia and Outlast, and neither were stellar in the actual gameplay department. Atmosphere and tension can only do so much, especially if it's broken for too long.

Because I've been following his reviews ever since he first started working for Gamespot, and the majority of the time he knows what's going on. He was actually very vocal on the Gamspot forums for a long while before he was even hired. He's also pretty much the only person on Gamespot I'll give the time of day to.

So basically you don't.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm sure you boys didn't just tag along so we could sing Kumbiya together at some boyscout bonfire.

Then again...

Maybe you did.

Wow, that VideoGamer video was excellent, pretty much exactly what I want from this game. It's long as hell, but not too spoilery imo because they make very little progress overall. Anyone who is curious about the general flow of combat should watch it. There's so many different strategies to use, it's fucking insane.

My copy arrives tomorrow, i can't wait more.

giphy_zpsbbecde99.gif

Dusk Golem

Wow, that VideoGamer video was excellent, pretty much exactly what I want from this game. It's long as hell, but not too spoilery imo because they make very little progress overall. Anyone who is curious about the general flow of combat should watch it. There's so many different strategies to use, it's fucking insane.

You're going to make me tempted to watch it.

Stop with that spoiler stuff!

Indeed, the scene where Sebastian, Joseph, and Kidman team up with Ruvik to go get drinks and drive around the city dancing was one of the best parts.

You´re kidding right? You know you have a TV capable of showing great picture quality, and you choose to destroy it like this? Why have a fairly good TV and not using it properly? This just makes me sad...and the picture must look horrendous :(

oh lord, get over yourself.

Dusk Golem

I'm going to say this again, I think we should make the review thread before reviews hit. Since when reviews hit, many of us will already be playing it (midnight release in areas, unlocks on Steam a minute before reviews embargo, etc.).

I would make the review thread but not sure if someone else really wanted to do it, I recall someone saying they wanted too? We do have four small site reviews, no big sites will review it until the embargo time, which is now 32 hours away.

You're going to make me tempted to watch it.

It's an encounter that's already been previewed
(the village)
, there's no story stuff, and the encounter isn't even completed over the course of the video. If anything, it'll really get your juices flowing for strategy in the game. I found myself constantly thinking "well, they could have done this here, and that there, etc". This game is going to offer a ton of ways to be creative and save ammo.

-MD-

I'm going to say this again, I think we should make the review thread before reviews hit. Since when reviews hit, many of us will already be playing it (midnight release in areas, unlocks on Steam a minute before reviews embargo, etc.).

I would make the review thread but not sure if someone else really wanted to do it, I recall someone saying they wanted too? We do have four small site reviews, no big sites will review it until the embargo time, which is now 32 hours away.

I'll be too busy playing to care enough to maintain it so hopefully someone steps up.

Lucent

FYI, I saw some people earlier complaining about not downloading the full game for the PS4 version on pre-load.

It actually is downloading the full game, once you've downloaded the initial 5gb just hit options/information on TEW and it will show it's dl'ing 5/37gb. It's kind of misleading but you will be able to download the whole game before launch.

Just thought I'd let people know.

Yep. At first I was like "5gb? Wtf?" Then I checked the options and saw it was still downloading.

It's an encounter that's already been previewed
(the village)
, there's no story stuff, and the encounter isn't even completed over the course of the video. If anything, it'll really get your juices flowing for strategy in the game. I found myself constantly thinking "well, they could have done this here, and that there, etc". This game is going to offer a ton of ways to be creative and save ammo.

is there a link to the video review that still hasn't been taken down?

Top Bottom