• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Sanctuary

For the record, I adore my 4 year old Panny Plasma. I haven't had any issues with permanent burn in. I was asking about the brightness setting because I like my picture a little bit brighter than what my TV is set to for games, I'd rather not tinker with the TV's settings to compensate for an overly dark game.

Bleh, I actually just read your reply and not what you were replying to. Don't most games with a lot of darkness come with adjustable gamma or contrast anyway?

It's not so much the value, it's how complete it feels. Mass Effect 2 is a weighty game, but for me, without the Shadow Broker DLC, it feels very hollow, and returning to games months later tends to be a shitty experience I find.

Obviously all wildly subjective.

I've heard a lot of crazy talk around here, but this...
I never felt that way about Mass Effect 2 until after I had already played LotSB. By that point it didn't matter.

Sayad

They might as well just push the PC release at this point...
Is this a thing? Have it ever happened on steam before.

Any way, watching some streams, I have a question for those who played the game("enemy type" spoiler).

Do you fight a lot of those invisible enemies through out the game? Such a bad design, I'm not against the idea of invisible enemies, but it seems like their implementation of it is horrible:
- Lack of clues in the environment about where they are
- Even around wet floors, the lack vertical vision thanks to the stupid super widescreen make it really hard to pin down where they are while trying to shoot(since once you aim chest high, the floor is out of your vision)
- Why do they re-disappear so fast after getting hit?! Looks really annoying
- The way they appear/disappear instantly looks horrible
- The stupid camera doesn't help
This is really turning me of more than anything right now.

Thanks for the suggestions (keep them coming).

I'm really leaning towards The Evil Within + Sleeping Dogs because if I don't buy and play SD soon if get it after I play GTA V in November, I probably won't enjoy SD nearly as much as I would if I play it before GTA V comes out.

I'm pretty sure GTA V is gonna destroy my experience with SD if I wait. The Evil Within however, seems like a must-have.

As for Dragon Age Inquisition, I think I can wait until January to play it, I'll want something at that time to hold me over until and Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 arrive in Feb.

Just be careful about SD, ive heard bad things about the port of it, so just keep that in mind when deciding

antitrop

Should we make the review thread now that four reviews are out and the embargo is 33 hours away?

I would wait until there are some reviews worth talking about.

I've read all 4 or whatever of the reviews, and they were all all pretty predictable and boring. Even if the scores were good, the content wasn't interesting to read.

For the record, I adore my 4 year old Panny Plasma. I haven't had any issues with permanent burn in. I was asking about the brightness setting because I like my picture a little bit brighter than what my TV is set to for games, I'd rather not tinker with the TV's settings to compensate for an overly dark game.

I keep the brightness down on mine, color and sharpness at max.

Started doing that just the other month and games/movies look significantly better. It's awesome.

Nibel

Man, this thread is currently exploding.

iboGRyMKCu7i5i.gif

Xpliskin

I'l just peak in here to complain about you guys.
I already got spoiled two times in this thread. TWO TIMES.

Fur fucks sake Shinobi, don't embed screenshots if they show new locations.

And NoirVisage, that gif you posted awhile ago was spoilery too. God dammit.

Me and others want to go blind into this game. I planned to visit this thread regurarly and I don't want it ruined by people who don't give a rat ass about spoiling people. In other OTs mods would ban you if you post spoilery stuff.

Just please think before you show something here.

/Rant off

This is the reason why i will never come in the MGSV OT this close to release. People just don't know what is a spoiler and what not.

and yes new locations are spoilers.

I feel you guys.
Luckily I always enter the threads expecting the worse. Random people posting screenshots/GIFs of the final boss (pro-tip).

"Spoiler" definition varies by individual.

Some people are oblivious that new areas/enemies/elements are spoiler material.
Or don't care enough about the game to think that way..
Yet somehow they feel like sharing it.
"Come on, screenshot showing an unforeseen element of the game and chapter 5+X isn't spoiler material. You're being too sensitive."

There's a TEW spoiler thread for this very purpose.

I feel sorry for you two, I don't know what that screen contained.
these threads should always be approached very carefully.

Be the spoiler-savy cat:
funny-gif-cat-peeking-window.gif

~Kinggi~

Banned
Was more hoping for pre-relase review build impressions since im pre-loaded like the rest of you. GMG was too attractive an offer. Surely someone out there has leaked info.

tenz0r

Damn, I am really torn.

There are really four more games I want to get this year on PS4, not counting GTA V.

1. The Evil Within
2. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
3. Dragon Age Inquisition
4. Metro Redux

If I can only afford two of those games, which two should go with ?

If you already played Sleeping Dogs & Metro before, I would go with The Evil Within and Dragon Age Inquisition. However, if you haven't played Sleeping Dogs or Metro yet, I would say Sleeping Dogs for sure. I never finished Last Light, and was entertained by 2033, but wasn't blown away or anything so I would have to say pass on that if it was competing for a spot between those four games. Dragon Age Inquisition would be my other game. Then again since you are getting GTA V, maybe having The Evil Within would be better since you will have more variety since Sleeping Dogs & GTA V have similar game play styles.

It's not so much the value, it's how complete it feels. Mass Effect 2 is a weighty game, but for me, without the Shadow Broker DLC, it feels very hollow, and returning to games months later tends to be a shitty experience I find.

Obviously all wildly subjective.

True. How long will it be before the first DLC? I know Xbox get it first so I'll have to wait. Doesn't bother me though.

Sanctuary

I keep the brightness down on mine, color and sharpness at max.

Started doing that just the other month and games/movies look significantly better. It's awesome.

What the hell kind of plasma do you own that requires max color and sharpness? Jesus Christ that sounds bad.

I might try that, thanks

And then you'll probably go back to where you initially had it. That sounds like a really bad way to (unprofessionally) calibrate a set.

At least get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V6LST0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is the TV I ended up with in 2009: http://www.wired.com/2009/04/pr_0422_thx_tv/ only paid $800 too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
See, this is the crap I complain about with many game reviews lately. Too many reviews are on what the game isn't rather than what it is. Docking points because the game is old school when it's supposed to be an oldschool game is just flat out idiotic.

I just got off work to see this? That's some pretty crap claims. If anything game designers should stop trying to make everything swift and modern. Trial and error is how we play. It's how we didn't just ease by in games. I think this is some real bs.

It's not going to revolutionize itself to be this completely new medium where you toss out what worked and what didn't. If they just want something faster go play FEAR or something.

Miguel81

A site that saved me some money. It just looked like an even more boring Outlast to me. Calling it now. VanOrd is going to 8 this game.

True. It's hard, requires patience, and there's not much shoot-bang.

It's a shame those two reviews convinced a lot of people to not buy Alien.

It is a shame. These are just freakin' opinions, and you should judge the game by playing it yourself. If it seems interesting to you, then go for it.

Gurish

Another review guys!

thisgengaming- 8/10

Pros
+Great atmosphere

+Intense encounters

+Varied levels

Mixed
+/- Stealth is good and bad in parts

Cons
-Long loading times

-Framerate issues

Wow, Idtech 5 is really gonna screw this game ha?
That really suck, back in 2005 Capcom was one of the pioneers in this industry regarding tech (as well as gameplay) so Mikami had an amazing engine to work with, now he has to do with this garbage, poor Mikami :(

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wow, Idtech 5 is really gonna screw this game ha?
That really suck, back in 2005 Capcom was one of the pioneers in this industry regarding tech (as well as gameplay) so Mikami had an amazing engine to work with, now he has to do with this garbage, poor Mikami :(

What's the sole focus of this claim? You can still play the game. What other games moves like butter with the same results currently? We didn't wake up one day and load times were extinct. They're complaining too much IMO. You want perfection, go make it yourself.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Seems fairly unanimous right now almost all the negatives can be attributed to engine jank. Loading times, camera angles, framerate. If these were non-issues i feel like it would be scoring 9+ across the board. Pls PC version save us.

Gurish

What's the sole focus of this claim? You can still play the game. What other games moves like butter with the same results currently? We didn't wake up one day and load times were extinct. They're complaining too much IMO. You want perfection, go make it yourself.
Hmm most of them looks better and performs better, with much better animations as well.

Is this a thing? Have it ever happened on steam before.

Any way, watching some streams, I have a question for those who played the game("enemy type" spoiler).

Do you fight a lot of those invisible enemies through out the game? Such a bad design, I'm not against the idea of invisible enemies, but it seems like their implementation of it is horrible:
- Lack of clues in the environment about where they are
- Even around wet floors, the lack vertical vision thanks to the stupid super widescreen make it really hard to pin down where they are while trying to shoot(since once you aim chest high, the floor is out of your vision)
- Why do they re-disappear so fast after getting hit?! Looks really annoying
- The way they appear/disappear instantly looks horrible
- The stupid camera doesn't help
This is really turning me of more than anything right now.

I've only run into them a few times around the time they showed up. After that nothing. Also use a flash arrow, reveals, stuns, and then can stealth kill.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hmm most of them looks better and perform better, with much better animation as well.

That's eye candy and it's the sole focus to why games cost millions and developers close shop. Just because he turns the way you want doesn't make it a good game. That's the staple in most games before you got HD graphics.

The edged smooth graphics is just glorified anymore. It's a support to a game. It doesn't always make the game better. Hence why classical games get HD editions. They're still jagged polygons, but they toned up 1 or 2 things.

StuBurns

Banned
That's eye candy and it's the sole focus why games cost millions and developers close shop. Just because he turns the way you want doesn't make it a good game. That's the staple in most games before you got HD graphics.
Do you have any reason to believe this game was abnormally cheap?

It got took down because of copyright. Seems Bethesda are doing this for all Youtube videos uploaded before the release date.

Ah I see. It seems like they're using the word copyright wrong.

Seems fairly unanimous right now almost all the negatives can be attributed to engine jank. Loading times, camera angles, framerate. If these were non-issues i feel like it would be scoring 9+ across the board. Pls PC version save us.

Seems like it. I honestly just hope the frame rate is fine. From this thread it seems to be better than the build I played on but yeah...this is probably gonna stop this game from being as good as it should. Frame rate really bothers the shit outta me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Do you have any reason to believe this game was abnormally cheap?

I'm talking as a whole. PS1 era and PS2. I'm saying this feels like someone bashing on RE1 or RE2 because of the PS1 graphics and animations. They ain't perfect, but I'm not pointing them out because the game has a lot of enjoyment.

That's like someone claiming Leon's backing up animation in RE ruined the entire game for them. You have some minor things to get over. I haven't played TEW yet because it's preloading, but I'm not going to look for two animations with a gun or something unless they are god awful. From what I have seen, that's not my problem here.

All I want is for this game to run right. That means booting, menu, enter game, etc. That's all I want.

Sanctuary

True. It's hard, requires patience, and there's not much shoot-bang.

The funny thing about replies like this, is that it might just be that you're more easily entertained. Outlast was in no way "hard" and it didn't require all that much patience. Tolerance is more like it, but fortunately it wasn't that long of a game. By all accounts, Alien is almost double that.

Gurish

I'm talking as a whole. PS1 era and PS2. I'm saying this feels like someone bashing on RE1 or RE2 because of the PS1 graphics and animations. They ain't perfect, but I'm not pointing them out because the game has a lot of enjoyment.

We are not in PS1 and PS2 era anymore, standards are higher.

I'l just peak in here to complain about you guys.
I already got spoiled two times in this thread. TWO TIMES.

Fur fucks sake Shinobi, don't embed screenshots if they show new locations.

And NoirVisage, that gif you posted awhile ago was spoilery too. God dammit.

Me and others want to go blind into this game. I planned to visit this thread regurarly and I don't want it ruined by people who don't give a rat ass about spoiling people. In other OTs mods would ban you if you post spoilery stuff.

Just please think before you show something here.

/Rant off

Blame yourself, or god.
00182484.0001.jpg

But seriously, that Gif is on Bethesda's website, ( and the enemy is not what you think it is) I took it down myself as a courtesy you can blame the person who decided to qoute it for having to see it. The OT is going to contain some promotional stuff now and again, it'd be unrealistic to think people aren't going to share some of that stuff for the sake of people who want to go in blind..the OT is the last place you want to be if that's the case..hard to have a discussion about what you can't see.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I think loading times are gonna be the #1 killer of the game fun. If its as hard as they say then dieing and loading all the time is gonna take its toll. Which will just magnify people thinking the game is too hard etc.

FYI, I saw some people earlier complaining about not downloading the full game for the PS4 version on pre-load.

It actually is downloading the full game, once you've downloaded the initial 5gb just hit options/information on TEW and it will show it's dl'ing 5/37gb. It's kind of misleading but you will be able to download the whole game before launch.

Just thought I'd let people know.

Xpliskin

The funny thing about replies like this, is that it might just be that you're more easily entertained.

Jesus. I think you need to relax.
You're like a mad dog barking at everybody.

God forbid someone has a different opinion than yours.

You had a bad week or something ?

Topic:

IdTech 5 may not be the only factor contributing to the game's technical flaws.

Milestone frequency requests by bethesda also need to be considered.

I remember that the early demos were so bad the game glitched hilariously in a behind-closed door showing.

Maybe an interview can shed some light on how much bethesda taxed Tango Gameworks.

Fallout : New Vegas comes to mind.

StuBurns

Banned

That's like someone claiming Leon's backing up animation in RE ruined the entire game for them. You have some minor things to get over. I haven't played TEW yet because it's preloading, but I'm not going to look for two animations with a gun something unless they are god awful. From what I have seen, that's not my problem here.

All I want is for this game to run right. That means booting, menu, enter game, etc. That's all I want.
I don't see how any of that relates to the point of the discussion. Firstly, the point I believe he was making was the results would be better with a different engine, and that part of RE4's huge impact was its technology, which at the time was incredible for a console game.

And a game running right also means literally running right, performance wise, which is yet to be established across all platforms, and is a point of concern for some.

I'm not overly bothered by the game's visuals, but I don't think it's strange to wish it'd been made on a rival technology, because the results are really below par.

What the hell kind of plasma do you own that requires max color and sharpness? Jesus Christ that sounds bad.

And then you'll probably go back to where you initially had it. That sounds like a really bad way to (unprofessionally) calibrate a set.

At least get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V6LST0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have a Panasonic Viera X Series 42".

There's really no reason to explain myself in detail other than the simple fact that, uh...I like the way it looks, ha.

None of my roommates have complained, in fact, they've noticed the difference as well.

actually, here are my exact settings, I was wrong, I have the brightness up slightly.

viewing mode- dynamic
contrast - 100
brightness - +7
colour - 100
sharpness - 100
tint - 0
colour balance - warm
vivid colour - on

My shit looks awesome, also have 5.1 for the added depth.

Don't knock it till you've seen it, lol.

Sanctuary

Jesus. I think you need to relax.
You're like a mad dog barking at everybody.

God forbid someone has a different opinion than yours.

What's with all of these "opinion" replies that don't even read what's being discussed in the first place? You might want to actually look at what I was replying to. He gave a snarky remark as though the game is for the more "sophisticated and refined" gamer as though I'm just too stupid to "get it".

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't see how any of that relates to the point of the discussion. Firstly, the point I believe he was making was the results would be better with a different engine, and that part of RE4's huge impact was its technology, which at the time was incredible for a console game.

And a game running right also means literally running right, performance wise, which is yet to be established across all platforms, and is a point of concern for some.

I'm not overly bothered by the game's visuals, but I don't think it's strange to wish it'd been made on a rival technology, because the results are really below par.

Has anyone asked what would make the Tech 5 engine better? Mikami couldn't of sat there messing around for months and years on an engine. He's got to know something for sure. I think what gets me is that we imagine hell to just break lose. Did Bethesda just fund him the Tech 5 because they own id?

We don't necessarily have the horror genre to where it was on the PS2 either. I can't imagine this plethra of indie hits or sleeper titles running away with the grand prize either. That's what upset me about the whole thing in the first place. I'd rather go back a decade than sit with something new and believe a generation didn't influence nothing. It's not even that, that formula works. It's proven to work. It's not like we get these games annually like AC.

I wish Rage would of just of been better. Rage did this and I think we all know it.

It is a shame. These are just freakin' opinions, and you should judge the game by playing it yourself. If it seems interesting to you, then go for it.

I thought Alien was a flawed masterpiece, but i completely understand why someone would think it was awful and that is fine, but it really does irritate me how neither of these reviewers seemed to grasp core gameplay mechanics.

Xpliskin

What's with all of these "opinion" replies that don't even read what's being discussed in the first place? You might want to actually look at what I was replying to. He gave a snarky remark as though the game is for the more "sophisticated and refined" gamer as though I'm just too stupid to "get it".

It's cool, it's just that everytime a post of you shows up there's a negative/aggressive/conscending tone to it.

So maybe you had a really bad week.

Salmon

I have a Panasonic Viera X Series 42".

viewing mode- dynamic
contrast - 100
brightness - +7
colour - 100
sharpness - 100
tint - 0
colour balance - warm
vivid colour - on

My shit looks awesome, also have 5.1 for the added depth.

Don't knock it till you've seen it, lol.
You´re kidding right? You know you have a TV capable of showing great picture quality, and you choose to destroy it like this? Why have a fairly good TV and not using it properly? This just makes me sad...and the picture must look horrendous :(

Top Bottom