• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

kodecraft

The black bars put me off from getting the PS4 version , PC it is then , despite my near ancient spec :(

I got a feeling playing with the black bars off will feel more unwanted than welcomed.

All the text, saving, and checkpoint icons are white therefore can be clearly seen on the black bar area that they reside. Now without the bars?...hmm.

I got a feeling playing with the black bars off will feel more unwanted than welcomed.

All the text, saving, and checkpoint icons are white therefore can be clearly seen on the black bar area that they reside. Now without the bars?...hmm.
Somebody can probably mod the text fairly easily.

Drewfonse

ya know, it's funny.

I'm watching suspiria right now and there's a THX optimiser embedded in it, so I ran through it.

I did adjust the levels slightly for colour and and contrast but they're still in the mid-80's.

I'm pretty familiar with the games and movies I own and how they should look. (argento, leoni, kubrick, carpenter, etc)

The settings that I used for over 2 years were boring and it always annoyed me, nothing stood out. I like where I have my settings and it's not like I haven't done research. Like I said earlier, my shit looks good.

I take my entertainment center seriously. Besides, you haven't seen it so unless you have the exact same television and house/light set-up as me, maybe you should can it and not worry about how I handle my living room, either that or come over and feast your eyes upon my baller ass setup. lol

now i'm just trolling.

OMG, Suspiria. That movie creeped me right the fuck out.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Suspiria is a classic, maybe more style than substance but that's basically the best Giallo horror films in a nutshell (yes, I do consider Suspiria to be a Giallo film despite being quite a bit different than typical Giallo). I think more films AND games could learn from Suspiria's use of lighting though, it's oddness gives it such a surreal feel that really adds a lot to the film. Love the colors and use of shadows in the film.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The healthcare guy on the news talked about obesity told everyone to stop playing video games. Those communists!

...This has to be the longest wait ever!!!!!

The good news is that I'm 30GB/37GB on the preload.

Same. Only saw it for the first time about 6 months ago but have watched it a few times since then and it's one of the best horror movies ever imo. I watched the first 20 minutes or so while high once and the music/sound in general evokes such an overwhelming feeling of dread, beyond anything else I've experienced except maybe the original Silent Hill games. Made a beat sampling the main theme from the film a while ago, though apparently it's already been done like half a dozen times before...

I'm really confident this game is going to be awesome at this stage and think it'll probably be pretty well received overall, but it's a case where even if it's received badly (which it doesn't look like it will be given the early reviews) I know I'll still enjoy the fuck out of it. Wish it was coming out on the 14th in Aus but oh well, Thursday isn't too far away. (edit: thought this was review thread)

Dusk Golem

Same. Only saw it for the first time about 6 months ago but have watched it a few times since then and it's one of the best horror movies ever imo. I watched the first 20 minutes or so while high once and the music/sound in general evokes such an overwhelming feeling of dread, beyond anything else I've experienced except maybe the original Silent Hill games. Made a beat sampling the main theme from the film a while ago, though apparently it's already been done like half a dozen times before...

Suspiria does have absolutely unique but effective music, not what you'd expect to be playing during a horror movie, but surprisingly effective.

This has set me to now be thinking what sort of movie references I'll be able to spot in Evil Within, as it seems to pull from horror movies quite a bit.

Suspiria is a classic, maybe more style than substance but that's basically the best Giallo horror films in a nutshell (yes, I do consider Suspiria to be a Giallo film despite being quite a bit different than typical Giallo). I think more films AND games could learn from Suspiria's use of lighting though, it's oddness gives it such a surreal feel that really adds a lot to the film. Love the colors and use of shadows in the film.

I'm really confident this game is going to be awesome at this stage and think it'll probably be pretty well received overall, but it's a case where even if it's received badly (which it doesn't look like it will be given the early reviews) I know I'll still enjoy the fuck out of it. Wish it was coming out on the 14th in Aus but oh well, Thursday isn't too far away. (edit: thought this was review thread)

Nice. Glad there are some other giallo/argento fans in here. As much as I love Suspiria, I think Deep Red is Argento's masterpiece. That movie is freaking awesome, great story too as Argento generally lacked in that department.

Dusk Golem

What are you hardcore guys gonna do if the game comes out and has terrible or mediocre reviews?

I was sold since I played the demo. And I collect horror games. I'm sure I have gone out of my way to buy much, much worse games than Evil Within. Play it, form my opinion while playing it, express it here on GAF. If I liked it, express how I liked it, what all I thought, who I think might like/dislike it.

It's the woeful life of being a huge horror enthusiast, and liking things like Silent Hill Downpour (it wasn't perfect and had some big flaws, but I enjoy it, it was the closest thing to an old-school horror game from last console generation, but that's another topic entirely).

It's the woeful life of being a huge horror enthusiast, and liking things like Silent Hill Downpour (it wasn't perfect and had some big flaws, but I enjoy it, it was the closest thing to an old-school horror game from last console generation, but that's another topic entirely).

Siren: Blood Curse would like a word with you, sir

Gbraga

What are you hardcore guys gonna do if the game comes out and has terrible or mediocre reviews?

I'm not sure if I'm a hardcore guy, but I don't really care. Nier has mediocre reviews and it's one of the greatest gems of the last generation to me.

But I'm also fair. If the negative reviews are justified and I agree with them after playing, I'll say so. And I also wouldn't bash on them not having even played the game, like a lot of people like to.

LOL THEY GAVE THIS GAME I'M EXCITED ABOUT A 6? LOLOLOL GAMES JOURNALISM. This kind of shit is irritating.

Dusk Golem

Nice. Glad there are some other giallo/argento fans in here. As much as I love Suspiria, I think Deep Red is Argento's masterpiece. That movie is freaking awesome, great story too as Argento generally lacked in that department.

I was on a Giallo horror trip more recently watching a lot I had never seen before, but been a fan of them for a while. Deep Red is very good, I don't have a personal favorite, Argento always has to come up though as he has some fantastic films under his belt.

I will say that Deep Red had one of the better twists in a Giallo horror film in my opinion, some very fun deaths, and while movies typically don't scare me, that scene with the fucking walking laughing doll scared the shit out of me when I first watched it. The way it moved, suddenness of it, and how weird it was made me take a few moments to register what just happened.
Totally called where the killer was actually going to come, though. The doll caught me off-guard, though.

Suspiria does have absolutely unique but effective music, not what you'd expect to be playing during a horror movie, but surprisingly effective.

This has set me to now be thinking what sort of movie references I'll be able to spot in Evil Within, as it seems to pull from horror movies quite a bit.

I'd be extremely surprised if Mikami was specifically influenced in any way by, 'The House by the Cemetery' but the gore in TEW and some settings definitely match aspects of the film. Same could be said for many films though but italian horror is extremely visceral, much more so than slashers from the 1980's.

Fulci is a master of gore and atmosphere. His movies are campy as all get out but really entertaining if that's your type of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIiJeCpCgY

The Beyond is insane as well, also done by Fulci.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vltPK0IfP4M

Absolute classics as far as italian horror go.

Dusk Golem

Siren: Blood Curse would like a word with you, sir

Siren: Blood Curse is fantastic, and a fantastic horror game with some legitimately creepy, tense, and scary moments, but it's hardly designed like an old-school horror game. It's a stealth-horror game that tired quite a few things new for horror games when it came out in the early 2000s, and Siren: Blood Curse evolves those mechanics from the additions added in the second game.

Actually, I am happy you brought up Siren though, as I think Evil Within somewhat reminds me of it. Not exactly, but I think it's one of the horror games I feel probably slightly inspired this game that hardly ever gets mentioned in TEW topics. The fact that stealth plays such a big role is one thing, but how the Haunted act and move and how they can keep on coming back to life very heavily reminded me of the Shibito of Forbidden Siren.

Foggy

My dude, Friday the 13th and garden-variety slashers have way more in common with giallos than Suspiria does. Also, I'd argue that the style is the substance as it makes the movie one of the most pure horror experiences of all time.

Suspiria's probably my favorite horror film of all time.

I'd be extremely surprised if Mikami was specifically influenced in any way by, 'The House by the Cemetery' but the gore in TEW and some settings definitely match aspects of the film. Same could be said for many films though but italian horror is extremely visceral, much more so than slashers from the 1980's.

Fulci is a master of gore and atmosphere. His movies are campy as all get out but really entertaining if that's your type of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbIiJeCpCgY

The Beyond is insane as well, also done by Fulci.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vltPK0IfP4M

Absolute classics as far as italian horror go.

Fulci's zombie has the only scene in movies that I can't watch...
The splinter through the eye....just THINKING about it makes me shiver to this day and I saw it years and years ago

The first time I saw Suspiria the music is what drew me in more than anything else - it's hard to explain but it's almost like the main theme has this twisted sort of 'magnetism' to it where it really gets into your head in a way that nothing else I can think of comes close to doing.

I got Deep Red on blu ray a while back, I think I need to watch it again to truly appreciate it, was a bit distracted when I watched it the first time. Definitely stronger in the story department though haha.

Also holy shit at the mention of Siren: Blood Curse, I originally bought it on PSN early last year and only played the first 3 chapters and just revisited it in the last week and it's insane. I knew it was pretty good before but had underestimated how genuinely scary it is, at times it's up there with Silent Hill 1-4 levels of creepy. The Fly Shibito fucked with my head worse than anything else, I didn't know there were variations like that. The sounds they make are really disturbing as well as their general movements and "presence" in the game just completely messing with my head.

What's worse is that about an hour after first discovering the flying shibito, a fucking winged cockroach suddenly appeared on the arm of my couch like 5 inches from me so I jumped up and thankfully it didn't start flying around before I killed it, but yeah, weird timing as I hadn't seen one in a long time and then happened to see it after those things had really gotten under my skin in the game. :(

The "maggot shibito" are also incredibly disturbing. I think I'm on episode 7 now, gave it a rest for a few days. As much as I think TEW will be awesome, I'm not expecting it to be Siren: Blood Curse level of scary.

Fulci's zombie has the only scene in movies that I can't watch...
The splinter through the eye....just THINKING about it makes me shiver to this day and I saw it years and years ago

Yea dude, that scene is insane.

Just slowly creeping closer...and closer...and closer...lol

Dusk Golem

I recalled that there were some shots in the Adam Sessler, "Inspiration of Evil," videos of the collection of films they have at the Tango Gameworks office for study/inspiration. So I went to go get screencaps.

They're titles are mostly in Japanese, a few you can make out. I also just noticed their collection includes Xbox 360 and PS3 games. I wonder what films and games they researched for The Evil Within?

Tango_Collection1.png

Tango_Collection2.png

Tango_Collection3.png

Lernaean

Banned

I know it's a Mikami game, and i know it's a horror game, so it's a certain buy for me already. Now if it ranges from good to masterpiece, then that's a plus.
It does look a bit rough at some points, but i know that won't spoil the fun. And i don't really care about reviews anyway. I mean i do, it's nice to see something you like get critical acclaim, but if it's a bad review, it doesn't really affect me.

B-Dex

Let's hope Mikami's latest is better than Argento's.

The first time I saw Suspiria the music is what drew me in more than anything else - it's hard to explain but it's almost like the main theme has this twisted sort of 'magnetism' to it where it really gets into your head in a way that nothing else I can think of comes close to doing.

I got Deep Red on blu ray a while back, I think I need to watch it again to truly appreciate it, was a bit distracted when I watched it the first time. Definitely stronger in the story department though haha.

As much as I think TEW will be awesome, I'm not expecting it to be Siren: Blood Curse level of scary.

Yea, an italian prog-rock band called Goblin did the majority of the music for Argento's films. Great stuff. Deep Red is definitely a slow burn at times and the directors cut on bluray can be jarring because some scenes are in full italian but it's a really great movie. Total package when it comes to horror/suspense. Great sense of mystery too.

I gotta agree with your last statement there, Siren: Blood Curse is a truly terrifying game at times. I really need to play through it again.

I watched some gameplay of this, and holy fucking shit I can't wait for the atmosphere. So much of it reminds me of a mixture of Resident Evil, old school horror and new-school conventions.

I think we might be in for two really great horror games, Alien: Isolation was incredible and I hope this will be just as good if not better.

Yea, an italian prog-rock band called Goblin did the majority of the music for Argento's films. Great stuff. Deep Red is definitely a slow burn at times and the directors cut on bluray can be jarring because some scenes are in full italian but it's a really great movie. Total package when it comes to horror/suspense. Great sense of mystery too.

I gotta agree with your last statement there, Siren: Blood Curse is a truly terrifying game at times. I really need to play through it again.

Fun Fact, Goblin also did the soundtrack for George A. Romero's Dawn of The Dead.

I love a lot of Dario Argento and Lucio Fulci's movies, actually if you haven't another great heady film is Cemetary Man, alongside really out there stuff like El Topo and The Holy Mountain.

Guerrilla

so if I preload this digitally I only get the fighting chance pack? So only some items, no extra content?

I don't know if that is enough incentive to preload this before the reviews are out :/

Nuke Soda

The review thread has turned into an argument of the merits of a poorly written Wolfenstein: The New Order review, just another day on gaf lol.

Top Bottom