• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Are they doing a midnight launch for this at GS?

Check your area and ask. Some areas are holding midnight releases as enough pre-orders for the various games releasing that day (the two most notable being The Evil Within and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel).

Holy shit guys!

Amazon just shipped my game! Amazon just shipped me a brand new horror-themed third-person shooter with elements of stealth and survival that's directed by Shinji Fucking Mikami!

It's happening!

ibuXFCwSTDv2EG.gif

My hype is re-rising fast. I thought it had settled a bit.

And it's the final 24 hours now.

All of that sounds wicked, The Xtortionist.

So glad you can pick up enemy weapons. Haven't seen that one hit melee weapon yet! Got a bit to go on that video still.

A good example is the Axe can't remember if they use it efficiently in the vid though!

Skyzard

Banned
^lol

A good example is the Axe can't remember if they use it efficiently in the vid though!

They only talked about how it disappeared when they returned to the hub world and how they missed it...they had a zoomed-in slow mo of the guy holding the axe as a vintage memory heh.

23hours

Dusk Golem

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I thought that corpse was used as a pretty fucked up puzzle, I wonder how they'd get around that with no gore.

Sanctuary

I won't care at all. Reviewers don't know how to play video games anymore so I expect it.

Someone just sounds bitter that some recent releases they've enjoyed didn't get unanimous praise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911321

What are you hardcore guys gonna do if the game comes out and has terrible or mediocre reviews?

Finish it, and if there wasn't anything gamebreakingly bad about it, play it again in after Akumu unlocks.

This game met with lukewarm reviews and I liked it well enough, although I fully understood some of the complaints (which I shared...imagine that!).

Will I see any PC impressions before release day tomorrow? I would love to buy it now and preload it so I can play ASAP tomorrow but I can't do that if I don't know if 60fps breaks the game.

-MD-

Someone just sounds bitter that some recent releases they've enjoyed didn't get unanimous praise.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911321

I don't know what that's supposed to mean but holy shit I hadn't looked at the Bayo 2 thread, amazing scores.

Hahaha, you just kind of displayed exactly what the point of me linking that thread was. It's also probably the most common phenomenon on GAF too.

Wanna fill me in? I'm not even quite sure what game you referring to in your previous post that I was bitter about not getting unanimous praise but regardless of how a game reviews if I'm interested in it I will play it. Unless of course scores are 1-4 across the board which signals that it's a broken mess. TEW getting a 5 or a 6/10 won't make me enjoy it any less, Bayo 2 getting a 9 or a 10 won't make me enjoy it anymore, I would've played Bayo 2 if it had gotten a 5.

Sanctuary

I don't know what that's supposed to mean but holy shit I hadn't looked at the Bayo 2 thread, amazing scores.

Hahaha, you just kind of displayed exactly what the point of me linking that thread was. It's also probably the most common phenomenon on GAF too.

Sanctuary

Wanna fill me in?

So many people on this site claim that reviews don't matter and that they have zero influence on them, purchase decision or otherwise. Every time a game they like gets a score they don't agree with it's only because those reviewers suck at life and don't know how to play, or they just didn't play it at all.

Yet these very same people who claim reviews don't matter will constantly read reviews and review threads anyway. They will also chime in about how a specific game that they love that got near unanimous critical praise has all of the review scores it deserves, only to go right back to claiming reviews don't matter when the next game that they love has a different reaction from critics.

It's as though people feel insulted when scores are lower for something they had played and really enjoyed and high when they coincide like it's validating or invalidating their experience somehow. I've never actually understood this. If you went in blind or simply decided to pick up a game that was right around the "above average" mark and greatly enjoyed it, that's all that should matter right?

Dusk Golem

I am fortunate I don't have like, almost anything to do this week. Staying up all night so I can sleep all day so I can wake up and be up all night to play the game when it unlocks on Steam.

Today should also be the day when the launch trailer hits. I expect it to pop up somewhere in 9-12 hours.

-MD-

Every time a game they like gets a score they don't agree with it's only because those reviewers suck at life and don't know how to play, or they just didn't play it at all.

Recently in the case of Styx this is 100% true. Most reviewers are bad at video games, downright terrible even.

My reaction to the Bayo scores were simply because I had expected it to get 6's and 7's, seeing straight 9's and 10's surprised me.

It's as though people feel insulted when scores are lower for something they had played and really enjoyed and high when they coincide like it's validating or invalidating their experience somehow. I've never actually understood this. If you went in blind or simply decided to pick up a game that was right around the "above average" mark and greatly enjoyed it, that's all that should matter right?

The biggest reason low scores on a game I love bother me is because so many people put stock in review scores. If a meta score is under 75 it's a rental, if it's 85+ it's a must own. When I see a game I love get 6's and 7's I know it's going to cut into that game's sales and I'm likely not going to get a sequel. Twisted Metal likely suffered from having a 73 metacritic, that game was fantastic but I guarantee a couple hundred thousand people saw the average scores and went "nah, I'll pass". That shit bothers me. It's also infuriating to see a review go "this game is shit the platforming sucks, 4.5/10" and see people say "haha shit game, i knew this would suck" when in reality the platforming DOESN'T suck and the reviewer just fucking blows at his job. Lookin at you, Styx reviewers.

If I was a Bayonetta fan I'd be pumped, with scores like that they have a real shot at actually getting a 3rd entry.

Edit: In my very first post I said I wouldn't care at all, I meant it wouldn't affect my opinion of the game at all. It will bother me if it flops critically and in turn flops in sales and once again the genre goes into hiding for another decade. That would bother me quite a bit.

Dusk Golem

So many people on this site claim that reviews don't matter and that they have zero influence on them, purchase decision or otherwise. Every time a game they like gets a score they don't agree with it's only because those reviewers suck at life and don't know how to play, or they just didn't play it at all.

Yet these very same people who claim reviews don't matter will constantly read reviews and review threads anyway. They will also chime in about how a specific game that they love that got near unanimous critical praise has all of the review scores it deserves, only to go right back to claiming reviews don't matter when the next game that they love has a different reaction from critics.

Reviewers honestly do not influence my purchases, but I do take some stock into them. They make no influence on my purchasing decisions because I buy games that interest me, even bad games, as many games others find bad I enjoy (even though I recognize many of them as bad games), and I collect horror games in particular, and like to support devs.

But if there's a game I have interest in, I am curious of the general consensus, this includes critically and maybe most importantly critically, as people to put value in certain review places/people/general consensus.

But there's something of a broken public view of reviews these days that's basically everyone's fault (gamers, critics, publishers) that have caused gamers to not trust reviewers, review scores to be enflated and scores like 6-7s, or even 8s being viewed as meaning the game is 'bad', and a number of other issues entirely that just combine to make the scene of reviews both interesting but also overly important, yet at the same time, dramatic and personal.

I don't know how to describe it, but basically in my view where game reviews are in the now, the overall scene of game reviews is severely flawed due to a number of smaller problems that have developed over time with the video game review scene.

Dusk Golem

A bit careful with the spoiler thread, I have posted some legitimate spoilers in there. I haven't actually looked at most of them, but I know they're spoilers. I kind of just copied and pasted most the images outside of unlockables.

I almost never bring up I'm streaming on NeoGAF, but yes I'll be streaming the moment I get this on GAF. I guess since this is a super anticipated title for me I'll bring it up here when I'm about to start.

Be playing the PC version, I stream several horror games a month, and do commentate but I don't particularly try to be funny. Still, not a stream style for everyone but it's how I do things and I've had a lot of fun doing it, and viewership has grown recently because of it. Also do it now exclusively on Hitbox.

Skyzard

Banned
It's gotten to the point were most gamers in their 20s+ have played enough games to have an opinion they trust.

Reviewers don't always play games for the same reason consumers do.

It's their job to write about it. There are time limits, pressures to press on with a game even when you're not in the mood. Different game genres being suitable for different people. And then having to talk about how they think other people will experience the game as opposed to purely their impression.

For example, most review sites employ a nintendo guy to take care of those reviews because they know it takes an oddball to enjoy them that much and give them good scores with a straight face. But not all genres have their guys at these places.

Quick look at some gameplay videos, a few impressions from people who've played enough of the game to talk about it with reasons and I'm usually good.

A bit careful with the spoiler thread, I have posted some legitimate spoilers in there. I haven't actually looked at most of them, but I know they're spoilers. I kind of just copied and pasted most the images outside of unlockables.

I almost never bring up I'm streaming on NeoGAF, but yes I'll be streaming the moment I get this on GAF. I guess since this is a super anticipated title for me I'll bring it up here when I'm about to start.

Be playing the PC version, I stream several horror games a month, and do commentate but I don't particularly try to be funny. Still, not a stream style for everyone but it's how I do things and I've had a lot of fun doing it, and viewership has grown recently because of it. Also do it now exclusively on Hitbox.

I see, given that twitch funtcionality is built in for PS4, that's what I'll be using.

I'm actually new to this streaming stuff myself, so I expect the first few tries to be a bit hit and miss if I'm honest.

Sanctuary

Recently in the case of Styx this is 100% true. Most reviewers are bad at video games, downright terrible even.

I had thought about asking you this before (even though you don't really know me, and would have to simply take my word on it), but then just decided not to. But since this has come up again; what if I had purchased Styx blindly and had ended up getting entirely frustrated for the same reasons?

Age isn't really everything, but I think I can safely say I'm pretty fucking experienced in gaming, and I happen to gravitate towards those that are more technical. The majority of the last gen games that I've played were rarely a challenge if not playing on the higher or highest difficulties and more than that bored me to death not because I wasn't good at them, but because I'd seen it all before countless times already.

My reaction to the Bayo scores were simply because I had expected it to get 6's and 7's, seeing straight 9's and 10's surprised me.

Right, but if you're convinced that reviewers suck at gaming, why should you bother to take notice about what they are saying? I certainly don't care about the opinions of people I have no respect for. Why would you be surprised at the scores? Even though it scored higher than you might have expected, it still shouldn't matter since reviewers don't matter.

The biggest reason low scores on a game I love bother me is because so many pretty put stock in review scores. If a meta score is under 75 it's a rental, if it's 80+ it's a must own. When I see a game I love get 6's and 7's I know it's going to cut into that game's sales and I'm likely not going to get a sequel. Twisted Metal likely suffered from having a 73 metacritic, that game was fantastic but I guarantee a couple hundred thousand people saw the average scores and went "nah, I'll pass". That shit bothers me.

That's just been an escalating issue with the "gaming public" with each new explosion of the medium's popularity. First in the late 90s and then in the mid 2000s. You can't change how people make purchasing decisions, so you may as well get used to it just like you can't change people that post with the spelling and grammar skills of someone who did not make it beyond the sixth grade. There are a whole lot of games that I've really enjoyed that I'll probably never see a sequel to, but that's life. The "gaming industry" as a whole is just radically different now, and it's also all many twenty-somethings and below know. Not to imply that all twenty-somethings fit into this category, but that seems to be the typical age group of those that do flybys in regards to reviews.

Awesome video thanks.

Sounds like I'm going to have a tough time to begin with. I hate depending on melee in third person. Can't wait though it looks really good.

Running away is better than melee-ing in the game, trust me. Takes like 5 - 10 punches to kill one enemy lol. I know their patterns though, two punches, move away from their strike then go back in for 2 more punches, rinse and repeat.

Running away is better than meeling in the game, trust me. Takes like 5 - 10 punches to kill one enemy lol. I know their patterns though, two punches, move away from their strike then go back in for 2 more punches, rinse and repeat.

Welp, i hope that's not the case for Survival, Nightmare, and Akumu modes...

Audioboxer

The game is straight up SP isn't it, no stupid MP component? How does NG+ work as well?

Waiting for my pre-order to ship still!

Dusk Golem

The game is straight up SP isn't it, no stupid MP component? How does NG+ work as well?

Yup, absolutely no multiplayer.

New Game+ allows you to play the game again on the difficulty you've beaten the game on and lower difficulty with all the weapons/upgrades/unlockables you've obtained, but not on higher difficulties. So for example, if I beat the game on Normal, I can then play New Game+ on Normal and Easy, but not on Hard and Akumu.

Game also has unlockables for doing things, and there's a chapter select in New Game+.

-MD-

100% single player.

NG+ (I believe) lets you carry over equipment/skills/unlockables into a 2nd playthrough on an equal or lower difficulty setting.

Once you complete the game on casual/survivor (easy/normal) you'll unlock nightmare/akumu (hard/
1 shot kill
) modes.

Edit: b10

Sanctuary

3 were actually survival horror games by the book. We should actually say, "3rd person survival horror". ZombiU and Outlast did their own thing. I know everything just adds up and no one wants to be specific, but those are not the same.

I'm not sure if you're actually agreeing or not, but ZombiU was very much a Survival Horror game. The perspective doesn't really change that. It was no Dead Island. In fact, it's the last true Survival Horror game to come out until now.

Yup, absolutely no multiplayer.

Fuck. I hope it's not too late to get my money back on both copies.

mekes

Only minutes in, is it too early to say I love it?!

Scene is set perfectly. Love the bluntness of the lines, it is kind of cheesy, but it has that RE Mikami feel to it, from the lines, to the characters to the camera work. In a way I feel like I'm playing a PS2 era AAA, but one that would be on level in terms of presentation for today.

Morue

I'll ask again: people who have preordered on amazon uk, has your game been sent yet?
Mine is 'not yet dispatched' and is to arrive on the 15th or 16th :(

I need to play this game asap, I think I've just been unwillingly spoiled by a moron on big plot points T-T

Only minutes in, is it too early to say I love it?!

Scene is set perfectly. Love the bluntness of the lines, it is kind of cheesy, but it has that RE Mikami feel to it, from the lines, to the characters to the camera work. In a way I feel like I'm playing a PS2 era AAA, but one that would be on level in terms of presentation for today.

It gets even better so much more man, lol you wouldn't believe it. I'm at chapter 7 now and I'm surprised if it would get better than this.
Apparently it does.

Xpliskin

I am the Train.

thomas.gif
Jack-Nicholson-YES-horny.gif

I'll ask again: people who have preordered on amazon uk, has your game been sent yet?
Mine is 'not yet dispatched' and is to arrive on the 15th or 16th :(

I need to play this game asap, I think I've just been unwillingly spoiled by a moron on big plot points T-T

Retail shops will have it by midnight/tomorrow.
Unless shipping is instant, just cancel it and go grab your copy.

artsi

Any chance activating this in Steam inside the next 12 hours with VPN? It's 14th in here soon, but it seems like the unlocking happens in the morning.

Xpliskin

I can't, I'm in France and I want to play with English voices :'(
Fuck you Bethesda for not including them in all versions!!

Ahh yes that FIGS thing again to stop cross-region swapping.
Didnt' think about that.

Amazon.de won't work either.

I don't know if there are import (online) shops In France.

That's kindof bullshit I have to say.

Top Bottom