• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

tei15

What are you hardcore guys gonna do if the game comes out and has terrible or mediocre reviews?

Who cares about reviews? Reviews never do justice to games. I care much more about the fact that The Evil Within is directed by one of the most talented guys in the industry than what some dudes on the internet think about the game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Who cares about reviews? Reviews never do justice to games. I care much more about the fact that The Evil Within is directed by one of the most talented guys in the industry than what some dudes on the internet think about the game.

Exactly. Who watches from a far?

Step into the light!

It's a point to care for a credible game designer. That makes sense. I don't see why people who knew great games then wouldn't have a liking to games now. It's not like we're stupid. If the guy who started in 2009 hates it, who cares? If the guy whose been gaming since the Atari 2600 hates it, who cares? We also don't see people trying to bring this genre back without calling out the entire industry or switching genres to play the easier game.

I think a lot of people pass on it because they can't justify a justifiable game.

When you go see a Steven Spielberg film, do you sit there asking everyone why they went to see it or why they even care? The same thing goes with video games. You can like something without critics and/or your friends enjoying it. If that developer brought something you like alive and made it playable then chances are you might like it again.

I must of dodged a bullet growing up with RE, jeez. Gaming doesn't always need to feel like this reverse 180 either. You know why most modern movies suck now? because they forgot about their past and what it did for them. You think horror games got to the level that they are now without Mikami's influence? I'm sure some of the PC crowd might feel different. lol

THEaaron

Completed Chapter 6 tonight. This is the best survival horror game I've played. The atmosphere is awesome and the encounters are really good. Love playing with the environment and some tricks to take out more enemies at once.

Can't stop playing it. After Chapter 3 or 4 there were so many scenes that could have been a piece of art. It's wonderful.

Lucent

Completed Chapter 6 tonight. This is the best survival horror game I've played. The atmosphere is awesome and the encounters are really good. Love playing with the environment and some tricks to take out more enemies at once.

Can't stop playing it. After Chapter 3 or 4 there were so many scenes that could have been a piece of art. It's wonderful.

=D

kodecraft

Nice!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I'm sure some people in the review thread would be interested in hearing your thoughts so far.

-MD-

Awesome.

Moofers

Those of you with the ps app or a ps4 can go watch somebody streaming it right now. He just finished chapter 7, clock said 6 hrs 28 mins. Just started chapter 8.

Hubble

Just buy this game to support survival horror please without reading reviews and just enjoy :p. More sales = more survival horror

-MD-

Just buy this game to support survival horror please without reading reviews and just enjoy :p. More sales = more survival horror

Agreed.

Support this game people, buy it. We all want more survival-horror games in the future.

Moofers

Yeah it's on twitch but I'm on my phone using twitch app, no idea how to link.

And you guys say "buy it to support survival horror!" Like there hasn't been a fucking overload of it lately.

Hubble

Yeah it's on twitch but I'm on my phone using twitch app, no idea how to link.

And you guys say "buy it to support survival horror!" Like there hasn't been a fucking overload of it lately.

The amount of horror titles last gen was dismal. We're lucky so far and can die a quick death without sales.

Moofers

You're joking right? Go ahead and list them for me.
Just in the past couple of years:

PT
RE6
RE Revelaitons
Zombi U
Outlast
The Evil Within
Alien Isolation
Dying Light (soon)
Before Dawn (soon)
RE Revelaitons 2 (soon)
Amnesia 2 (soon)

I'm probably forgetting some.

-MD-

PT
RE6
RE Revelaitons
Zombi U
Outlast
The Evil Within
Alien Isolation
Dying Light (soon)
Before Dawn (soon)
RE Revelaitons 2 (soon)
Amnesia 2 (soon)

Alright so 3 of those are survival-horor games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Alright so 3 of those are survival-horor games.

3 were actually survival horror games by the book. We should actually say, "3rd person survival horror". ZombiU and Outlast did their own thing. I know everything just adds up and no one wants to be specific, but those are not the same.

The "3rd person survival horror" genre has been a very hard game to do right. It's been done before, but the quality and enjoyment is hard to do.

Those other titles are more like simulated or first person horror, completely different. That's Fatal Frame's position.

You must be specific IMO This new generation wants to say "survival horror" and I think they're just being lazy about it. Modern survival horror shouldn't be combined now and it wasn't combined then either.

-MD-

3 were actually survival horror games by the book. We should actually say, "3rd person survival horror". ZombiU and Outlast did their own thing. I know everything just adds up an no one wants to be specific, but those are not the same.

The "3rd person survival horror" genre has been a very hard game to do right. It's been done before, but the quality and enjoyment is hard to do.

Those other titles are more like simulated or first person horror, completely different. That's Fatal Frame's position.

You must be specific IMO

Resource management is more important than camera angle. The only games in that list where you're required to manage ammo and resources are TEW, Alien & ZombiU (I hesitate to even call this survival-horror, haven't played this one).

The rest are either pure hide and seek/haunted house simulators or shootbangs. I'd be all for being more specific in our genre listings but gamers won't allow that to happen and I'm not going to try and start a trend, folks roll through and claim Revelations is survival-horror and I just roll my eyes. It's gonna stay this way for awhile.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Resource management is more important than camera angle.

The only games in that list where you're required to manage ammo and resources are TEW, Alien & ZombiU (I think, haven't played this one).

The rest are either pure hide and seek/haunted house simulators or shootbangs.

I beg to differ. A camera position determines mobility and direction of content. A first person camera only should be allowed to distinguish a particular scenario or place focus on objects in game. Once you turn the experience into a complete first person title then you are getting away from a lot of things IMO. You are now a FP horror game or you're a simulated FP horror game.

Now I agree with the "survival" aspect, but that would be genre specific. You have to give the title its rank based on camera position.

Mupod

Resource management is more important than camera angle. The only games in that list where you're required to manage ammo and resources are TEW, Alien & ZombiU (I hesitate to even call this survival-horror, haven't played this one).

The rest are either pure hide and seek/haunted house simulators or shootbangs. I'd be all for being more specific in our genre listings but gamers won't allow that to happen and I'm not going to try and start a trend, folks roll through and claim Revelations is survival-horror and I just roll my eyes. It's gonna stay this way for awhile.

Honestly I could argue for or against a lot of games regarding whether or not they're survival horror, but Zombi U shouldn't be up for debate. It definitely is even by the strictest definitions.

-MD-

I beg to differ. A camera position determines mobility and direction of content. A first person camera only should be allowed to distinguish a particular scenario or place focus on objects in game. Once you turn the experience into a complete first person game then you are getting away from a lot of things IMO. You are now a FP horror game or you're a simulated FP horror game.

Let's stack up Isolation and RE6, one is FP, the other is 3rd.

Alien Isolation you're shooting clones slowly walking toward you with a limited amount of ammo, click click oops you're dry so now you have to retreat, you're not invincible and you're at the mercy of the game to either have the enemies ease up off you or offer more resources. You're crafting items, tense the entire time and you're trying to survive through to the next area.

RE6, coming off a series that spawned the genre name in the first place you enter a room and 30 enemies swarm you, you don't need to escape or hide, you just strafe around shooting until everything on your screen is dead. Ammo management comes in the form of the player being bad because it's absolutely plentiful. Retreating isn't even an option because you feel like a god.

Even though Isolation is first person I'd say it's FAR more of a legit survival-horror game than something like RE6 or Revelations is. You have to have scares, item management and character vulnerability to belong in that camp. I'm no expert this is just how I've always looked at it, I use REmake as a baseline because that's the GOAT to me.

Honestly I could argue for or against a lot of games regarding whether or not they're survival horror, but Zombi U shouldn't be up for debate. It definitely is even by the strictest definitions.

I hadn't played it, I've heard over the years it was a legit survival-horror game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Alien Isolation you're shooting clones slowly walking toward you with a limited amount of ammo, click click oops you're dry so now you have to retreat, you're not invincible and you're at the mercy of the game to either have the enemies ease up off you or offer more resources. You're crafting items, tense the entire time and you're trying to survive through to the next area.

RE6, coming off a series that spawned the genre name in the first place you enter a room and 30 enemies swarm you, you don't need to escape or hide, you just strafe around shooting until everything on your screen is dead. Ammo management comes in the form of the player being bad because it's absolutely plentiful.

Even though Isolation is first person I'd say it's FAR more of a legit survival-horror game than something like RE6 or Revelations is. You have to have scares, item management and character vulnerability to belong in that camp.

I hadn't played it, I've heard over the years it was a legit survival-horror game.

That's where control and movement come into play. The FPS feel isn't focused on movement unless the actual screen is in the way of the enemy. You have more of a focus on the screen without having to move the character around. In RE6 you have to position yourself to jump, pick up ammo, and to shoot. You define more of the survival horror aspect with actually controlling the character in RE6.

In AI, from what I've seen it is more about getting out of the way of the alien. Sure it's survival horror, but consistently ducking and hiding isn't the case with RE. You have to confront the enemy regardless. You have to find a way to dodge everything if you don't. AI feels like there is a large stealth game underneath a horror FPS.

You can't get very far playing any RE as a stealth game.

I finished all campaigns with Re6. I need to get around to Alien. I feel that either way it is, but RE just like Silent Hill defined the 3rd person side by the character movement alone.

Dusk Golem

24 hours until the game unlocks on Steam and review embargo goes up.

It's almost here! It's so close!

ExcitableGrimGopher.gif

maneil99

PT
RE6
RE Revelaitons
Zombi U
Outlast
The Evil Within
Alien Isolation
Dying Light (soon)
Before Dawn (soon)
RE Revelaitons 2 (soon)
Amnesia 2 (soon)

PT is not survival horror, neither is RE6, Outlast, Alien, Dying Light, Amnesia, or Until Dawn

Dusk Golem

Here is the weirdest article I think I've read about The Evil Within. Apparently from someone reviewing it, but being careful not to break embargo rules and no spoilers at all.

Is The Evil Within too terrifying?

I've heard from a lot playing it that it's not scary. I think the game has good atmosphere from what I played that can tense you up and unnerve you, but wasn't really scared except during one unintentional startle moment (not scripted, was my own fault), and the first time Ruvik appeared (his music is pretty creepy). The game more felt oppressive and moody than scary, but then again I've only played the demo.

Awesome thanks.

Sounds like I'm going to have a tough time to begin with. I hate depending on melee in third person.
Ordinarily mêlée is a desperation tactic..but get your hand on an enemies dropped weapon.. that one hit melee weapon kill is boner inducing, it works on a clustered group if you aim it fight, otherwise projectile weaponry is your friend.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

RE6, coming off a series that spawned the genre name in the first place you enter a room and 30 enemies swarm you, you don't need to escape or hide, you just strafe around shooting until everything on your screen is dead. Ammo management comes in the form of the player being bad because it's absolutely plentiful. Retreating isn't even an option because you feel like a god.

Even though Isolation is first person I'd say it's FAR more of a legit survival-horror game than something like RE6 or Revelations is. You have to have scares, item management and character vulnerability to belong in that camp. I'm no expert this is just how I've always looked at it, I use REmake as a baseline because that's the GOAT to me.

Zombi U is probably one of the purest survival horror games we've had in a decade.

Awesome thanks.

Sounds like I'm going to have a tough time to begin with. I hate depending on melee in third person.

Tactics that aren't melee (spoiler'd so you tacticians out there can devise your own strats)

Firearms
Firing at legs then burning them when they fall over
Kicking a door into them and burning them when they fall over
Burning the environment to also burn enemies
Leading enemies into explosive traps
Manually triggering mechanical traps
Stealth
Throwing a bottle at an enemy to stun then, then stealth killing them

Did I miss any?

Skyzard

Banned
My hype is re-rising fast. I thought it had settled a bit.

And it's the final 24 hours now.

All of that sounds wicked, The Xtortionist.

Ordinarily mêlée is a desperation tactic..but get your hand on an enemies dropped weapon.. that one hit melee weapon kill is boner inducing, it works on a clustered group if you aim it fight, otherwise projectile weaponry is your friend.

So glad you can pick up enemy weapons. Haven't seen that one hit melee weapon yet! Got a bit to go on that video still.

Top Bottom