• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

J4g3r

Yeah its launching at midnight on PSN mate in the UK

THE HYPE IS REAL.

2rAkVqk.jpg

Sadist

Awesome, I'm invited to an event for the Evil Within! Got free admission to an amusement park which has a horrortheme this month. Apparently I'm going to play the game in a "scary" location. Also, free copy.

Yeah, but those guys are probably not press. They don't have to watch out for embargos, do they?

No, but any gameplay footage (photo or video) not authorized by bethesda is considered to break the rules of the embargo, as viewers will base their buying decisions on that

BPoole

So how likely is it that the PC version gets a 60fps fix that doesn't the speed of the game? I want to get this but I'm pretty firm on my 60fps+ or bust stance

Bl@de

So how likely is it that the PC version gets a 60fps fix that doesn't the speed of the game? I want to get this but I'm pretty firm on my 60fps+ or bust stance

Looking at other games ... very likely. Even if you have to use a sync command like in Wolf:TNO

Grief.exe

Gstaff confirmed the game would be able to be unlocked to 60 FPS. Though he wasn't perfectly clear on the issues that would arise when pressed.

greenfish

Banned
How to get cinematic experience:

forced aspect ratio
55 angle FOV
900p
30fps (very important, lower the better)

You get extra points if you smear vaseline on your monitor

25 hours left on steam, and the game was already uploaded to steam days/weeks ago.

Everyone is just waiting for the BYTES to unlock tomorrow just becuase (no reason)

Great stuff

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'm not sure if you're actually agreeing or not, but ZombiU was very much a Survival Horror game. The perspective doesn't really change that. It was no Dead Island. In fact, it's the last true Survival Horror game to come out until now.

I'm just challenging a more technical term to be given to the genre. I would like to see camera angles being mentioned inside genres, so we don't get a mass confusion. I think once that is done then we can tell which specific survival horror title is doing much better each generation.

I don't own a Wii U. I remember seeing footage of ZombiU, but my reaction was that it was just a title to throw a certain circumstance (or Zombies) at the player. Anymore a game does not carry over with its plot to make a triology or anything memorable. DayZ has a simple gameplay perspective and the same thing goes with the others (7 Days to Die). It just wants you to survive, nothing more.

THE HYPE IS REAL.

You have to go into data settings to see the real preload. It won't show its real status on that screen.

Steez

Awesome, I'm invited to an event for the Evil Within! Got free admission to an amusement park which has a horrortheme this month. Apparently I'm going to play the game in a "scary" location. Also, free copy.

Ha, that does sound awesome. Have fun, dude!

No, but any gameplay footage (photo or video) not authorized by bethesda is considered to break the rules of the embargo, as viewers will base their buying decisions on that

So back to my original point, how is banning those guys fantastic news? It's pretty much the opposite of that.

Yeah, but those guys are probably not press. They don't have to watch out for embargos, do they?

Twitch has deals with companies for embargo stuff. Review copies or not, anyone that has the game now either has it via Bethesda, or otherwise everything else is broken street dates/pirate copies.

Aces&Eights

Twitch has deals with companies for embargo stuff. Review copies or not, anyone that has the game now either has it via Bethesda, or otherwise everything else is broken street dates/pirate copies.

Yeah, the guys I was watching last night were all employees at gamestop, etc. Bethesda doesn't want the people who will be selling this game to cust to be advertising it early....in case they don't like it, I guess.

That said, what I saw was fantastic. This is RE4 on nextgen hardware. I watched about 2 hours of the first 3 chapters and was blown away at the atmosphere, level design and monsters. Really creepy and very RE4ish.

Yeah, the guys I was watching last night were all employees at gamestop, etc. Bethesda doesn't want the people who will be selling this game to cust to be advertising it early....in case they don't like it, I guess.

That said, what I saw was fantastic. This is RE4 on nextgen hardware. I watched about 2 hours of the first 3 chapters and was blown away at the atmosphere, level design and monsters. Really creepy and very RE4ish.

Yeah, I'll be really happy once embargo is over so I can talk about my time with the game on here more. Glad to know you enjoyed what you saw.

Sanctuary

I don't own a Wii U. I remember seeing footage of ZombiU, but my reaction was that it was just a title to throw a certain circumstance (or Zombies) at the player.

Err, no. Everything about the game felt like playing Resident Evil from a first-person perspective. Having to look at the WiiU screen for your inventory (game didn't pause when looking through the inventory) gave it a somewhat higher level of tension if you were not already prepared ahead of time. The main issue with the game was the reliance on the dreadfully boring cricket bat if you were wanting to conserve ammo. It was functional, but good lord was it unimpressive to swing, and you had to swing it a lot.

greenfish

Banned
Have you never preordered a PC game before?

No never in my life. Altough I ressurrect in various bodies, there's 12 of us.

THE GAME IS DONE, ENOUGH WITH THE OBSOLETE BS ABOUT RELEASING GAMES ON A TUESDAY/FRIDAY, RELEASE DIGITAL MEDIA WHEN CODE IS READY, PERDIOD.

STEAM have done a lot for PC, but the days when you could just buy a game and play it was better. STEAM is an evil DRM when it comes to release dates.

Audioboxer

Really glad I pre-ordered this to jump in day 1 now. Seems like a proper horror game with the usual spoonful of jank that comes with it :p

I mean the SH/old RE games are classics, but any sort of tank controls these days and you'd be scoring a 6-8. I don't mind if the gameplay/presentation lets this game down a little, as long as the content is good. Wanting to play a more action focused horror game anyway, like a Silent Hill, as opposed to running/hiding (Alien/Outlast).

No never in my life

THE GAME IS DONE, ENOUGH WITH THE OBSOLETE BS ABOUT RELEASING GAMES ON A TUESDAY/FRIDAY, RELEASE DIGITAL MEDIA WHEN CODE IS READY, PERDIOD.

STEAM have done a lot for PC, but the days when you could just buy a game and play it was better. STEAM is an evil DRM when it comes to release dates.

It's not really Steam's call when to release the games. It's the publishers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Err, no. Everything about the game felt like playing Resident Evil from a first-person perspective. Having to look at the WiiU screen for your inventory (game didn't pause when looking through the inventory) gave it a somewhat higher level of tension if you were not already prepared ahead of time. The main issue with the game was the reliance on the dreadfully boring cricket bat if you were wanting to conserve ammo. It was functional, but good lord was it unimpressive to swing, and you had to swing it a lot.

You actually remembered the plot?

When I decide to get a Wii U I'll pick it up.

Grief.exe

No never in my life. Altough I ressurrect in various bodies, there's 12 of us.

Steam and Valve have nothing to do with release dates. The publishers and developers push the release through the registry themselves.

Steam is DRM when the product is forced to use STEAM otherwise no playing.

If this game didn't have STEAM, you could get the game from the store and play instantly

Many games can be downloaded and run without the client entirely.

Sadist

It would have been nice to have more melee weapons besides a cricket bat, but man did I feel threatened while playing ZombiU. Favourite big publisher horror game. Next to the Wii make of Fatal Frame II.

Come on the Evil Within...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yes, but that was entirely secondary just like it has been with practically every game since the first Resident Evil.

Character development helped. I don't know about everyone else, but the characters were always somewhere doing something. Their arrival was always a surprise to me. I always pictured one character doing this and that during each game. Which made RE that much more enjoyable.

greenfish

Banned
Steam and Valve have nothing to do with release dates. The publishers and developers push the release through the registry themselves.

Many games can be downloaded and run without the client entirely.

Then the publishers should let everyone game when code is uploaded and let everyone else wait for physical media to arrrive (tuesday/friday)

All the recent games i've purchased have been steam only, as in you're required to use steam to play the game (unlock) even if I have the physical media in front of me.

The Evil Within, if I buy the game in the store right now, I can't play until tomorrow because it's required by steam.

That's not the case with consoles.

I have the Retail version delivered to my door just a few hours ago. Have a soundtrack, fancy artwork, whopping 4 DVDs to install and all my keys in front of me.

Thing is .. even though i have basically everything here, upon installation i get a warning "This game is not officially released yet and therefore cannot be unlocked".

Are you guys serious? Might aswell could have delivered tommorow then. Stop the teasing already. You got my money, so let me enjoy. :(

Top Bottom