• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

mekes

It gets even better so much more man, lol you wouldn't believe it. I'm at chapter 7 now and I'm surprised if it would get better than this.
Apparently it does.

Ha! So far this game is proving to be everything I was hoping for. Nods to RE in specific places
Beginning of chapter 2, ha!!
but a new and fresh experience overall. It was a long wait, I remember being excited when news first broke of this game, then again with the first concept art. Have to say, so far very much worth the wait! I cant imagine what I'm in store for with this game, it has me guessing and on my toes.... :/

Bring it on tho!

Finsihed the game, Slasher?
Will your review be up at the end of the embargo? Or later?

I'll be finishing it today and putting my review together this afternoon. Doing a entire walkthrough and review before embargo is a pain in the ass. Won't be ever trying THAT again .lol

nilbog21

Banned
honestly if I was bethesda and I invested all this time and money to make a quality game, I wouldn't be giving away copies to a self-important clowns who can't be bothered to write more than "btw the boss battles suck..."

i don't understand the backlash ...

Gave Wolfenstein less than an 8/10, blacklisted

really dude?

J4g3r

I'm trying my best NOT to look at this screen...

iblwRtUUfXylRW.jpg

Grief.exe

Game unlocks in 23 hours on steam -_-
5pm tomorrow here, which suck major ballz (work)

The store page in the US shows it unlocking at 1 am Pacific time. If that unlocks prior to your region, then you can always VPN to unlock your game.

Steam unlock times are generally flat out wrong. The publisher can push the release through the registry at any time and the countdown timer is enerally configured incorrectly.

On another note, you vernacular is rather grating.

Squishy3

it really is the fucking worst when games don't unlock at the same time across everything

All signs point to shit. So far.
all signs point to we have no clue how it will run until people have it on their machines, let's jump to hyperbole when the hyperbole is warranted :p

greenfish

Banned
The store page in the US shows it unlocking at 1 am Pacific time. If that unlocks prior to your region, then you can always VPN to unlock your game.

Steam unlock times are generally flat out wrong. The publisher can push the release through the registry at any time and the countdown timer is enerally configured incorrectly.

On another note, you vernacular is rather grating.

Yeah I usually use VPN to play early. But this time I think the date is the same for USA/EU. When I loadup the USA store the dates are exactly the same, which is usually never the case.

On another note, you vernacular is rather grating

I had to look up "vernacular", thanks for teaching me a new word ;)

Grief.exe

whats the expected performance for this on PC?

Pretty dire.

Remaining hopeful though.

Who knows? We can only make assumptions right now as Bethesda is refusing to say just about anything about the PC version.

The only footage We have is from an older build by German youtuber Gronkh. I watched The entire section and the framerate was smooth, with excellent visuals, at 1440p.

Bethesda has admitted you can run this game at arbitrary 16:9 or 21:9 resolutions with the removal of the black bars, and the frame rate can be unlocked to 60. The latter was grudgingly admitted after a large campaign to demand information.

I just got some new Sony MDR-DS6500 surround headphones and ready to lose my shit to all the horror ambient sounds in the game.

Please tell me the game has some good sound effects and ambient audio.

it really is the fucking worst when games don't unlock at the same time across everything

all signs point to we have no clue how it will run until people have it on their machines, let's jump to hyperbole when the hyperbole is warranted :p

The fact that they have not optimized for 60fps and lack of pc info usually point to crap. Love to be proven wrong.

So, been playing this on PS4 since saturday from a copy a bought at a local shop that broke street date and I have to say... it's pretty great!!

I think i'm pretty far into the game (chapter
), so maybe I can give some impressions (disclaimer: the only resident evil games I've played are 4 and half of 5):

• The graphics are usually really nice (for a crossgen game). There is a problem with some textures loading up while in cutscenes, but is not that horrible (except for a time when some textures wouldn't load on a characters hair while in a cutscene, made for up for some hilarious effect). The lighting is on another level though, loved it. Sebastian's character model is pretty detailed too, though the rest of the characters are not as much. The effects on the creatures and enemies are pretty detailed though, which is pretty good since there are a lot of little details on them that make them even more gruesome (like spikes, nails, open cavities, etc.).

• So far I've been playing this on a 5.1 surround sound system. The sound on this game is great. The music on the background is usually low or nonexistent, making the sound effects the dominant aspect on the whole sound mix. They've been accurate and spot on, having a wide mix of them, especially on the monster department. VA is competent, I especially like Rubik's VA.

• One of the things I'm loving about this is the complete MINDFUCK it is at times. Although it's being gradually explained (to some extent), the unpredictability of the scenarios, monsters and where will the game take you next is one of it's strengths. It has its fair share of psychological horror, and reminds of my favorite horror games, Silent Hill. It's grimy, dirty, dark and bloody. Although, it can be also beautiful, taking you to a (small location spoilers)
    church on a cliffside during a sunset (really)
    . That change can be from one chapter to another, so the game's always feeling fresh and not overstaying its welcome. The story is taking a nice turn right now, so I can't comment anymore on it until I'm done, but I have been reading every in game document I pick up thoroughly in hopes to uncover what the hell is going on! I just love the setting, premise of the game and its potential for horror.

• It's challenging. It can be a bit hard to get it, but once it clicks, it's awesome. The levels give you enough freedom to take on the challenges it whatever way you want: maybe going stealthier, or maybe going for grouping the enemies into a trap and then blowing the up together, or maybe going for clean headshots on the spot.

And on the fly, you realize the game also wants you question yourself: "Fight or flee?". Usually, I'm a fighter, but that has put me in trickier spots than I would've wanted. Not in not being able to shoot my way through, but in having no ammo left. I'm still not sure if the developers didn't calculate an estimated amount of ammo I should've had for some encounters or maybe I fought against way more enemies than I should've, but I've had a couple times when after a fight a had 0 bullets left, and after it, another encounter came. This resulted in me going in circles and breaking boxes while trying to avoid enemies and using every bit of bullets acquired in doing headshots and praying for them to give up. I even had to lure a couple of enemies out of being besides a contraption so that a could have enough time to "press x" fast enough to make it work. Even though this has happened to me a couple times and both times I've made it through, it could've been pretty much a bottleneck for some other softer players (although, the difficulty can be lowered mid game).

All in all, the gameplay is really satisfying, challenging and, at medium difficulty, still catered to the hardcore gamer. The encounters are always tense and add to that some diverse enemy types, hazards and locales, and the combat never lets up.
Right now, this game has exceeded my expectations. While I thought RE4 was great, I think this game has had a bigger impact on me so far. It's not the scariest game ever, but it's really tense and has a great pace. And, on my personal scale, I would put it as one of my GOTY contenders for the year. Can't wait to finish it tonight!!

A strong suite of the game, no doubt about that.
You will be happy.

Purchase justified!

yes_napoleon_dynamite.gif

So, [...]
[...]Right now, this game has exceeded my expectations. While I though RE4 was great, I think this game has had a bigger impact on me so far. It's not the scariest game ever, but it's really tense and has a great pace. And, on my personal scale, I would put it as one of my GOTY contenders for the year. Can't wait to finish it tonight!!

Yiss.

Squishy3

The fact that they have not optimized for 60fps and lack of pc info usually point to crap. Love to be proven wrong.
At least we actually have some information about it and while it's lacking standard PC port stuff, I expect it to run at a decent framerate and not have unexplained FPS drops or terrible performance all around like FFXIII has for me. Sub 30 fps regardless of if I'm running it at 720p, 4K, or 8K, and that's a 4 year old game.

-MD-

Good thing we don't have a single impression of the PC version to base that on.

They said months ago they were targeting 30fps. Lack of information is Bethesda's middle name.

I would put it as one of my GOTY contenders for the year.

Hot damn, this shit should be nearly unlocked when I wake up.

Can't wait.

Anung

Un Rama
Framerate is all over the place on PS4 and I'm finding the black boarders very distracting. Other than that I'm really enjoying it so far (4 chapters in)

Top Bottom