• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

AI spotting you across the map is a concern. Dont pile on the guy for his views. I do not consider lack of ammo as a positive either.

I actually love RE4 and am getting this game because i have faith in Mikami.

I hope this game strikes the right balance of action and survival horror.

lack of ammo in a survival horror game not a positive?
Did you just start hearing about this game yesterday? All of this has been known since day uno mang.

I have a PC that could run this at the 1600p and 60 FPS. Am I crazy for considering getting this on PS4 anyways? I've been addicted to playing on my PS4. I have a nice TV and surround sound set up in my room. I'm going through chemo right now and am in a lot of pain and suffering. I think it would be easier laying in my bed to play this on my TV. But damn I'm a sucker for better performance. I'm also worried about PS4 having sub 30 FPS and running clunky :(

I don't think it's crazy to want to play comfortably. You could also set up your pc with your tv as a monitor and use a controller. I'm getting this on pc and am probably going to play through with my 360 controller.

I have a PC that could run this at the 1600p and 60 FPS. Am I crazy for considering getting this on PS4 anyways? I've been addicted to playing on my PS4. I have a nice TV and surround sound set up in my room. I'm going through chemo right now and am in a lot of pain and suffering. I think it would be easier laying in my bed to play this on my TV. But damn I'm a sucker for better performance. I'm also worried about PS4 having sub 30 FPS and running clunky :(

I always thought that comfortability is hands down the best thing to have when playing a video game. I would also go for the PS4 version. Stay strong man, I hope you beat that cancer's ass.

lack of ammo in a survival horror game not a positive?
Did you just start hearing about this game yesterday? All of this has been known since day uno mang.

Lack of ammo up to a certain point is fine. It just needs to have a good balance where its not completely frustrating.

Tambini

Guys don't shit on someone for giving impressions, official threads often turn into this sort of thing where negative opinions aren't welcomed

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Guys don't shit on someone for giving impressions, official threads often turn into this sort of thing where negative opinions aren't welcomed

I dislike it too, I like to hear different people's opinions on a game and don't think just because you may disagree with them it makes the point or view less valid.

The opinion sounded valid, not trolling, just a viewpoint of the game, and I find it interesting to discern why one feels a certain way.

Sevenfold

I mean Tango and Bethesda will tell you it's a design decision, just like they did for the black bars and 30 FPS. The reality is, this would be the only one I would accept with a straight face, though I would argue against its use.
I used Cheat Engine FOV fix on Mordor yesterday and it's a substantially better experience. Even as a couch and telly PC gamer a low FOV is like someone squeezing my brain while I play. RE4make took some serious brain un/re-wiring to get any good at again after years of fluid FPS and parkour games. The FOV and controls suck but the game shines through. I hope that's the case here.

I'm in the same boat, Mordor, FFXIII, The Evil Within, and Binding of Isaac...You best get Isaac too.

I would get Civ, but I don't want to get sucked down that rabbit hole right now.
I'm ready for Civ :D but please no more suggestions it's bad enough that I read about Bayonetta 2 today and don't own a WiiU. When this hobby get so expensive?

For those that complain about difficulty/lack of resources:

There's this game called "Resident Evil 6": you can even play with your buddy and have casual chats over the mic.

I also heard there are nude mods if you're into that.

0000347594.jpg

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the artist department did a fuckin' brilliant jobs on Ada Wongs arse.

"Verfügbar: 13. Oktober
Dieses Spiel wird in ungefähr 4 Stunden freigeschaltet"

So early unlock on Steam (Germany) after all. 4h to go. Too late to play today ...

Better go to sleep early

hyURc.gif

wtf movie is this from? pretty creepy!

also pre-ordered this at best buy (free $10 gift card!) so i'll pick it up tomorrow. don't give a shit about framerates as long as its playable. everything about the game seems pretty ace so far

antitrop

I'm sorry about that, get well as soon as possible. :(

You have got to find some way to get your PC video out to your TV. I'm not an expert at doing stuff like that, because my TV is within HDMI cable range from my PC tower. There has to be some easy way, right?

Lack of ammo up to a certain point is fine. It just needs to have a good balance where its not completely frustrating.
The point is to manage these things, stealth is an alternative most of the time, no one else mentions this as a negative because its expected, the way dude mentioned makes it seem like he doesn't know this is a survival horror game, and makes me suspect he's playing it gung ho..of course you'll want for ammo if you overkill every enemy you see.

its deserved when you're not even aware of what genre the game you're playing is in and knocking it for it.

People are having framerate issues? That's weird...a friend of mine playing the Xbox One version was telling me he's pleased with the performance and that it doesn't dip very often, even in intense sequences...

vg260

Seriously. The snark level is unwarranted.

There is such a thing as too limited where it could negatively affect the game, even for the genre. It needs to be balanced properly, and it remains to be seen where this lies in this game for most.

Mononoke

Banned
I always thought that comfortability is hands down the best thing to have when playing a video game. I would also go for the PS4 version. Stay strong man, I hope you beat that cancer's ass.

Thanks for the kind words. I forgot that I could hook up my PC rig to my TV. So I might see if I can hook it up. I'm pretty physically tired so I'm not sure I can get under my PC desk and move around wires. But I'll see if I can do it in an hour.

I appreciate your guys advice though. Makes me feel less bad should I choose comfort given my situation. Sounds dumb. But it's nice to get encouragement for something small like this.

Patroclos

Banned
I caved and watched the new trailer, well most of it. http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3317064/dive-world-evil-within-new-trailer/

I stopped before the end and it would be spoilerish to those sensitive but it does a great job of explaining the different aspects the game consists of. They emphasized stealth heavily. Also puzzles and the environment.

I'm super stoked now after seeing the stealth. It looked similar to hiding and surviving in Manhunt so that has me pumped.

Skyzard

Banned
Damn, sorry to hear that Azula, get well soon.

For what it's worth we're not sure how good the PC port will be. Chances are 60fps won't be shit hot and you won't get 1600p without a million GB of VRAM (4 for 1080p apparently).

We'll find out for sure soon enough.

greenfish

Banned
Some of you would literally cry at games like Ninja Gaiden Black/II!!!!!

Find the game too frustrated? Then lower the difficulty to easy or very easy. Just don't ask the devs to neuter the game for everyone else.

I want slap the reviewers who gave alien isolation a minus because it's "frustrated or hard"

greenfish

Banned
Damn, sorry to hear that Azula, get well soon.

For what its worth we're not sure how good the PC port will be. Chances are 60fps won't be shit hot and you won't get 1600p without a million GB of VRAM (4 for 1080p apparently).

We'll find out for sure soon enough.

This game does not in anyways require 4GB VRAM for 1080p.

If that's the case then this is by FAR the worst PC port in gaming history.

Xpliskin

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the artist department did a fuckin' brilliant jobs on Ada Wongs arse.
This I can agree on. datass.jpg

The thing is, a negative point for him was "too hard + lack of resources".

Saying this in the OT of the first game in ages to try to bring that old school feeling back won't generate positive reponses.

Sooo I went through the first two chapters on that x360 copy at my sis' while waiting for masterrace midnight unlock.

Only thing I'll say is those that liked REmake backgrounds will be heaven, me included.
I think the only time I'll run in the game will be when I have to or I'll die..

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

I got it on PS4 because I paid $500 for a new HDTV this year, plus the PS4 has been a very comfortable system for games. Plus you can buy Day 1 digital and have it installed without doing anything other than starting the game.

These thumbstick grips work great too (link). I bought a VGA or monitor cord to HDMI and I've tried getting my PC to run. I haven't had the best of luck. Google might have better options and methods of doing that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
People are having framerate issues? That's weird...a friend of mine playing the Xbox One version was telling me he's pleased with the performance and that it doesn't dip very often, even in intense sequences...

Well hopefully your friend is just not very sensitive to the issue, or it's going to be a real surprise kick in the balls for PS4 players.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think this game is pretty mediocre

Now i'm only a hour in but so far

Pros:
Good atmosphere and music
Controls pretty well

Cons:
Shit AI, can see you from across the map
Too hard, game doesnt give you enough resources to succeed
Shooting isn't satisfying, camera is far too zoomed in

I'll keep playing but i can see this getting middling reviews
Also in before 'get better at games newb'

Like fuck can they, I have to be within 15 feet before the blind bastard notices I've just taken out two of his mates and is now doing an Irish jig in front of him.
Bad AI but for the opposite reasons, and I've died once
disarming a bomb
which was my fault, game is actually a bit on the easy side.
Game is fantastic so far despite being a little easy.

Andrew.

Banned
Everyone is spoiled and it's getting worse with each generation of player. We've already approached the entitled, immediate instant gratification gamer age. Whats next?

If our hands arent being held the entire time, if we dont have the most COMFY amount of supplies or power ups, if we dont have a fucking waypoint telling us where to go and what to do...then its negatives all around. If we dont have the option to make the protagonist a female. On and on and on and fucking on.

Each generation is getting more and more pussified with "gamers" wanting only Retarded Editions of games catering to the lowest common denomination of intelligence and patience.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
we went through this earlier in the thread, but pointing out "it's meant to be like that" won't make someone any less frustrated with the game

the premise of people calling that out seems to be "everyone will like this game if only they knew what it's meant to be" and that's absurd, guys.

Grief.exe

In your situation, I would just do whatever is most convenient for you. Don't want to go through needless work if you just want to play.

You can always pick up the PC version down the line when you want to do a replay.

I got it on PS4 because I paid $500 for a new HDTV this year, plus the PS4 has been a very comfortable system for games. Plus you can buy Day 1 digital and have it installed without doing anything other than starting the game.

To be honest, these reasons seem like a stretch.

New TV - don't you want to show it off with the best visuals?
Comfy - Seems like a wash as both can be hooked up to your TV. Bonus points for using your DS4 as a wireless mouse.
Digital - Buy, preload, start the game. That easy.

These thumbstick grips work great too (link). I bought a VGA or monitor cord to HDMI and I've tried getting my PC to run. I haven't had the best of luck. Google might have better options and methods of doing that.

Why not just a regular HDMI cord? VGA causes some bottlenecks at this point.

I've beaten Maximum Carnage, and Battletoads on the GB. I got this.

But if its Bayou Billy level of difficulty, them i'm fucked.
You may well be right..
Maximum carnage spanked me, called my parents into the room and took THIER lunch money..

Have you played The Tick? Its possibly the worst most repetitive game ever made, and unbeatable simply because you were so bored you had no desire to finish it..

we went through this earlier in the thread, but pointing out "it's meant to be like that" won't make someone any less frustrated with the game

the premise of people calling that out seems to be "everyone will like this game if only they knew what it's meant to be" and that's absurd, guys.
uh..that's not even the same thing, be serious. Its not about everyone liking this game for what it is or isn't, its about what it is and expecting it to be something else.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In your situation, I would just do whatever is most convenient for you. Don't want to go through needless work if you just want to play.

You can always pick up the PC version down the line when you want to do a replay.

Comfy - Seems like a wash as both can be hooked up to your TV. Bonus points for using your DS4 as a wireless mouse.

I hit the button on the new TV with a sound bar or headset. I start the console with the press of the DS4 Home button and then I'm in.

You could say you have that entire setup with PC, but you also have to figure there's some psychiatry behind a game console and a working TV. The PC experience can be just as good, but that's that.

I think it's good to have a taste of both worlds. I live in my world and I play in theirs. They must have a product on the market for a reason.

Patroclos

Banned
I've beaten Maximum Carnage, and Battletoads on the GB. I got this.

But if its Bayou Billy level of difficulty, them i'm fucked.

Maximum Carnage. Yikes. Fucking brutal. My girlfriend in college bought me that. She used to say You never even finished that game I bought for you."

Mononoke

Banned

I think I might just do that. Unfortunately I've been having to deal with the treatments on my own as I don't have any close family and most of my friends moved after college or after getting married. So it's been tough physically. I think I'll just buy it on PS4 now just to enjoy the game with everyone and go back to play it later on PC for superior performance. God knows I could use the distraction. And I've really been looking forward to this. I can't thank you guys enough. I know it sounds silly. But it means a lot to get your guys support and opinions. I was feeling bad about skipping PC version and now I don't. :)

Edit: I would be interested in hooking up my PC to my TV. I might still consider it. But I'm physically ill and exhausted. And so i might just opt out for PS4 for now. But ill look into hooking up my PC to my TV later. I just feel better about opting out for comfort thanks to you guys. I'm a gaming enthusiast and usually care about the best petromance. It pains me to pass up the PC version. But I just want to play the game. I really need this distraction.

Top Bottom