• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

antitrop

Shit, I don't even think I could get past the second level of Bayou Billy. That game kicked 8 year old me's ass up and down the block and around the corner.

Grief.exe

I hit the button on the new TV with a sound bar or headset. I start the console with the press of the DS4 Home button and then I'm in.

You could say you have that entire setup with PC, but you also have to figure there's some psychiatry behind a game console and a working TV. The PC experience can be just as good, but that's that.

I think it's good to have a taste of both worlds. I live in my world and play in theirs. They must have a product on the market for a reason.

Seems a viable answer, there is no arguing that configuring a PC on TV is more difficult initially. I just found your phrasing interesting for the initial post.

duessano

Everyone is spoiled and it's getting worse with each generation of player. We've already approached the entitled, immediate instant gratification gamer age. Whats next?

If our hands arent being held the entire time, if we dont have the most COMFY amount of supplies or power ups, if we dont have a fucking waypoint telling us where to go and what to do...then its negatives all around. If we dont have the option to make the protagonist a female. On and on and on and fucking on.

Each generation is getting more and more pussified with "gamers" wanting only Retarded Editions of games catering to the lowest common denomination of intelligence and patience.

Dude, calm down. They are paying their hard earned money for the game. The best choice would be multiple modes for hardcore "enthusiasts" like yourself. Some people just want to play a game, not stare at a game over screen for hours.

Everyone is spoiled and it's getting worse with each generation of player. We've already approached the entitled, immediate instant gratification gamer age. Whats next?

If our hands arent being held the entire time, if we dont have the most COMFY amount of supplies or power ups, if we dont have a fucking waypoint telling us where to go and what to do...then its negatives all around. If we dont have the option to make the protagonist a female. On and on and on and fucking on.

Each generation is getting more and more pussified with "gamers" wanting only Retarded Editions of games catering to the lowest common denomination of intelligence and patience.

This is a rational post

Andrew.

Banned
Dude, calm down. They are paying their hard earned money for the game. The best choice would be multiple modes for hardcore "enthusiasts" like yourself. Some people just want to play a game, not stare at a game over screen for hours.

I am calm. But negatives towards a game shouldnt be thrown that way if "reviewers" mismanaged their supplies and consider the game too hard because of it. I mean come on.

greenfish

Banned

But they aren't "hardcore" modes. What you're talking about should be what most of us calls a normal playsession. The best choice would be if the one's who can't handle the difficulty to play on easy/very easy.

Normal mode = hard, requires brain, required nimbleness

Easy mode = fallout 3, resident evil 6

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really wonder what state the game was in before it got delayed out of August if it is still hit by tech issues. Like man, that must have been ROUGH before.

SkylineRKR

You may well be right..
Maximum carnage spanked me, called my parents into the room and took THIER lunch money..

Have you played The Tick? Its possibly the worst most repetitive game ever made, and unbeatable simply because you were so bored you had no desire to finish it..

uh..that's not even the same thing, be serious. Its not about everyone liking this game for what it is or isn't, its about what it is and expecting it to be something else.

Hmm, no I don't think I played it.

Maximum Carnage took me over a month of controller throwing back then. But 16-bit and before it was all about memorizing. If you knew how to deal with every screen of mobs and where the power ups were, you could get further and further. For the last battle you had both spidey and venom, so essentially double life bar. Thats what I remember.

Today i'm a much worse gamer. I give up sooner, and look up strats. Probably because of a lack of spare time too, no use running in circles for hours. But a challenge is always welcome, I love the Soul series.

Bayou Billy though? Fuck me. And fuck that game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Seems a viable answer, there is no arguing that configuring a PC on TV is more difficult initially. I just found your phrasing interesting for the initial post.

I grew up with console. My PC was always a longer wait and I never got the games I wanted until 2006. Even then I was limited by an integrated graphics card. I switched and I came to this crossroads where I felt that I left the console out of my life. I wanted that back and the PS4 has made a very comfortable home room entertainment device. I still use my PC and it gets good when it's good. There's just something about having a system that feels right.

If it was anything like Bayonetta on PS3 versus 360 then I'd say switch.

MattyG

Banned
So I asked this in the Steam thread, but I figured that here is a better place to ask; Are you guys unlocking it with a VPN? If so, how does that work (I've never used a VPN before)? Are there any risks associated with it or is it a risk-free process?

Grief.exe

I grew up with console. My PC was always a longer wait and I never got the games I wanted until 2006. Even then I was limited by an integrated graphics card. I switched and I came to this crossroads where I felt that I left the console out of my life. I wanted that back and the PS4 has made a very comfortable home room entertainment device. I still use my PC and it gets good when it's good. There's just something about having a system that feels right.

If it was anything like Bayonetta on PS3 versus 360 then I'd say switch.

Well with Bayonetta it was either framerate dips or massive tearing, respectively.

With The Evil Within, its double the framerate out of the box and then higher fidelity settings. The PC install is significantly larger, so that should at least confirm higher resolution textures.

I am calm. But negatives towards a game shouldnt be thrown that way if "reviewers" mismanaged their supplies and consider the game too hard because of it. I mean come on.

Let me just say... the game does make you feel pretty fucked after lot of encounters. Usually though, I end up finding just enough bullets, etc. If I don't, I find traps, or other means of taking the enemies out. I've never truly been boned at this point but damn does the game do a great job of making you feeling pretty...damn...fucked. At every corner.

kpaadet

Only in this day in age is "too hard" a fuckin CON

Jesus fucking christ at "gamers" these days

Let's get something straight, there are different kinds of hard, one being like the Souls games where 95% of the time its the players fault for dying and then there is the other kind. Games were the camera is the worst enemy or enemy placement is cheap or its having performance problems making crucial timing almost impossible. I havn't played TEW so maybe its fine but from the preview video I have seen it look very janky and unpolished. Just saying just because someone complains about it being "too hard" dosn't mean they're filthy casuals.

maneil99

Well with Bayonetta it was either framerate dips or massive tearing, respectively.

With The Evil Within, its double the framerate out of the box and then higher fidelity settings. The PC install is significantly larger, so that should at least confirm higher resolution textures.

Or multiple languages

Can't think of the hardest game I've ever beaten. I mean, Battletoads NES was annoying, but still like a one night game if you stuck with it, and it was easier solo than with a partner. Contra without the Konami code or Rygar were pretty bad. So were Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. Blaster Master was the hardest thing I'd ever played at the time and that took me months to finish. I seem to remember Spelunker and Solar Jetman really pissing me off.

It's not just newer players though, I think a lot of us have gotten soft honestly, but that's because most of us prefer to eat bites of 15 different games instead of sitting down for a month and mastering one. Back when I was 12, my parents didn't buy me shit, so I'd have months to replay everything I owned. Provided the game isn't completely broken, difficulty is really just a matter of how much time and dedication it takes to accomplish whatever you've decided you want to with the game.

Laconic

Banned

I went PS3 and Wii last gen. But the PS3 version of Bayonetta was clearly inferior to the Xbox version. It was what it was.

I'm happy enough with the naming conventions of this game, that I might just Day-1 it in order to support such properly crafted wordplay.

Resident Evil > Inherent Evil > Evil Inside > Evil Within.

So Choice. (tm)

antitrop

Fuck Bayou Billy!! That game drove me nuts as a kid.

boxart was fuckin sweet

avuyNyfl.jpg

and it was like the only game other than duck hunt I had that used the light gun

Hmm, no I don't think I played it.

Maximum Carnage took me over a month of controller throwing back then. But 16-bit and before it was all about memorizing. If you knew how to deal with every screen of mobs and where the power ups were, you could get further and further. For the last battle you had both spidey and venom, so essentially double life bar. Thats what I remember.

Today i'm a much worse gamer. I give up sooner, and look up strats. Probably because of a lack of spare time too, no use running in circles for hours. But a challenge is always welcome, I love the Soul series.

Bayou Billy though? Fuck me. And fuck that game.

After barely getting anywhere in Demon souls (3 bosses and 800 deaths) I knew not to attempt either of the Dark games, the day they offer a $50 invincibility patch with the ability to fly..I'm there!

The camera?

ha ha, that's actually exactly what he meant!

Grief.exe

1 and a half hours for me to go on Steam...

Is that not what it says for US folk?

I've been leaving MD a countdown for when he's back.

Looks like midnight Eastern for US folk, which is about 7 hours for now.

Of course, it is irrelevant as those in the know will just use a VPN unlock anyways.

Skyzard

Banned
Looks like midnight Eastern for US folk, which is about 7 hours for now.

Of course, it is irrelevant as those in the know will just use a VPN unlock anyways.

Thank you for the headsup!

Ok then I can give reports on how well it runs on PC not too long from now [1 hour and 28 minutes from this edit it will unlock here in UK on steam]. Maybe I will stream it too (that's for me more than anything tbh, helps dampen the scares).

Specs:
780 Ti sc (3GB VRAM)
4770K at 4.4 GHz
16GB ram.

SkylineRKR

boxart was fuckin sweet

and it was like the only game other than duck hunt I had that used the light gun

It had great potential. Lovely graphics and a mash up of Double dragon, driving and lightgun. Mad City, the original JP version, is actually a good game, its very fair. Its shocking how the sadists of Konami US butchered that game.

Sanctuary

What does this even mean? All I had to do was plug in an HDMI cable. If you're talking about setting up Windows and everything else that goes along with it, just have the PC hooked up to where your monitor, mouse and keyboard desk are and then move it?

If you only have one PC and you also like to browse forums a lot, then there's that. Weight and also having a good spot to place it near your TV is another, but if anything, you could always just get up to a 25 ft HDMI cable if your PC is at least in the same room. I know people are going to have their reasons, but a lot of them boil down to just not wanting to fuck with it.

Grief.exe

I went PS3 and Wii last gen. But the PS3 version of Bayonetta was clearly inferior to the Xbox version. It was what it was.

I'm happy enough with the naming conventions of this game, that I might just Day-1 it in order to support such properly crafted wordplay.

Resident Evil > Inherent Evil > Evil Inside > Evil Within.

So Choice. (tm)

Point being that, though the PS3 version of Bayonetta was inferior, this seems to be an even larger divide between the two versions.

Of course that depends entirely on your hardware, I would argue that it isn't exactly expensive to have more powerful components then the new consoles at this point.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I just
came across the woman? with loads of legs, run mother fucker was the first thing that came to mind
The bitch was right behind me all the time, so tense....damn
and now its gone all Silent Hill up in this bitch, Shinji you are horrors Hideo Kojima.
this game is awesome.
Note: people who have seen trailers will know about what's in the spoiler, nothing revealing.

If I unlock with a VPN, do I need to stay on the VPN to play my game? I've never used one before.

Though I may just have you UK folks have a go at it first and tell me how it runs.

stufte

If I unlock with a VPN, do I need to stay on the VPN to play my game? I've never used one before.

Though I may just have you UK folks have a go at it first and tell me how it runs.

I believe you can vpn unlock, go offline and play it offline until it would unlock in your region.

I believe.

antitrop

It had great potential. Lovely graphics and a mash up of Double dragon, driving and lightgun. Mad City, the original JP version, is actually a good game, its very fair. Its shocking how the sadists of Konami US butchered that game.

"I'd rather go down to Louisiana and wrestle gators in real life than play this game."
- The Angry Video Game Nerd

Sanctuary

Can't think of the hardest game I've ever beaten. I mean, Battletoads NES was annoying, but still like a one night game if you stuck with it, and it was easier solo than with a partner. Contra without the Konami code or Rygar were pretty bad. So were Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2. Blaster Master was the hardest thing I'd ever played at the time and that took me months to finish. I seem to remember Spelunker and Solar Jetman really pissing me off.

It's not just newer players though, I think a lot of us have gotten soft honestly, but that's because most of us prefer to eat bites of 15 different games instead of sitting down for a month and mastering one. Back when I was 12, my parents didn't buy me shit, so I'd have months to replay everything I owned. Provided the game isn't completely broken, difficulty is really just a matter of how much time and dedication it takes to accomplish whatever you've decided you want to with the game.

I've beaten all of those games as well, and I think Blaster Master was really up there in terms of difficulty. However, apparently the hardest game I've beaten was Solomon's Key. I didn't actually realize that it was supposed to be that hard until reading about it online recently. The one game that I actually fucking hated playing, but finished anyway was Deadly Towers.

But what do you mean "sitting down for a month"? I think the longest it took me to complete a game was a week. Unless it was an RPG, I felt like most were way too short and I would just chain rent games back to back. Although I think you might actually mean something other than simply beat when you say master?

Its a race between the game unlocking and my download.

I have about 2 hours left and it unlocks in around 1 hour 20 mins... Download (and unpacking) Gods lend me your energy.

Top Bottom