• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

J4g3r

54 minutes to go, UK GAF - GET READY!

a_word_from_the_director.jpg

I've beaten all of those games as well, and I think Blaster Master was really up there in terms of difficulty. However, apparently the hardest game I've beaten was Solomon's Key. I didn't actually realize that it was supposed to be that hard until reading about it online recently. The one game that I actually fucking hated playing, but finished anyway was Deadly Towers.

But what do you mean "sitting down for a month"? I think the longest it took me to complete a game was a week. Unless it was an RPG, I felt like most were way too short and I would just chain rent games back to back. Although I think you might actually mean something other than simply beat when you say master?

I never played Solomon's Key, I'll have to look for that one.

Yeah, I certainly don't mean taking a month to beat something. I was much the same, I'd buy maybe 2 games a year and rent one a month or so and usually always beat them within the rental window. Now I usually rent multiple games a month and hardly buy anything. There are a lot fewer games made nowadays that even require or reward mastery, but ultimately yeah that's what I was getting at - getting to the point where you clear the game without getting hit, develop playstyle techniques for different situations, make up challenges for yourself. Of course, you need to find games that are worth the commitment in the first place. I'm sure you could take some time and become quite proficient with Mass Effect 3 for instance on some technical level, but I kinda doubt it'd be as ultimately rewarding as mastering something from Platinum or a Cave shooter or something.

yeah but dat butt tho

anyway, looking forward to playing this tonight. good all.

Will we escape this discussion without a gif being posted

I suspect not

Taruranto

Finished on PS3. Took me 15 hours.

Overall meh, can't say I really enjoyed it. Game is basically RE4 with a modernized design and Silent Hill 1-2 aesthetics.

Pacing felt erratic, there was no real sense of progression, especially in the first 5 chapters
you constantly jump from place to place
SH is one of my favorite series so I don't mind things being "confusing" but things felt frustrating more than anything. I kinda liked the middle chapters, though.
Hi, Spencer Manor.

Story was kinda shitty, then again, I think Mikami is an excellent game designer, but not really too much of a writer, so it was expected. DLC will pretty much necessary, story-wise.

A lot of scripted, chase sequences with 1HKO mechanics, which I really dislike.
Including the final boss.

Checkpoints made the "survival" element kinda weak, you died? No problem, you are restating from 5 seconds ago. Sometimes I even intentionally died when I realized I wasted too many resources. Not like I get any penalty from it.

Really baffling since the game also has "normal" save rooms, though I guess checkpoints were necessary given the linear nature of the game and how much shit can 1HKO you (Sliding death traps out of fucking nowhere! I hope you are fast enough to aim to the switch as you fall)

Ammo was indeed scarce, which was nice, although there was never a sense of "resource management" since generally the game will give you all the items you need for the yet another scripted situation/horde of enemies. It also has "you can't have more than xxx of that item" thing which I hate. If I'm good and I managed to not waste ammunitions why should I be penalized?

Dunno what to make of the stealth mechanics, kinda half-assed, especially coming from Alien:Isolation.

TL;DR RE4 with modern AAA design and SH visuals. It even has an XP ability system!

Squishy3

Anyone have a VPN guide handy for an American unlocking European time zones?
The FlyVPN freetrial page has everything there, but it's pretty straight forward. Download the client, exit Steam first and open it again after you connect to the VPN, then switch to offline mode after it finishes unlocking the game, the trial username and password are on the free trial page and the password periodically changes and it'll be updated on that page when it does change. The free trial servers have a capacity and a 20 minute usage limit so only connect around when it's time to unlock but you may have to keep logging in to get in because the server is full.

I've connected to UK servers with two different VPNs, started Steam, but the store page still says unlocks in 6 hours.

Anyone else getting the same or know what I'm doing wrong?

Xpliskin

I've connected to UK servers with two different VPNs, started Steam, but the store page still says unlocks in 6 hours.

Anyone else getting the same or know what I'm doing wrong?

UK also have a midnight unlock ~ 50 minutes.

The trick a few pages back was for xbox, to download the game from the indian(I think?) store, unlock it then play if offline.

DukeBobby

Finished on PS3. Took me 15 hours.

Overall meh, can't say I really enjoyed it. Game is basically RE4 with a modernized design and Silent Hill 1-2 aesthetics.

Pacing felt erratic, there was no real sense of progression, especially in the first 5 chapters
you constantly jump from place to place
SH is one of my favorite series so I don't mind things being "confusing" but things felt frustrating more than anything. I kinda liked the middle chapters, though.
Hi, Spencer Manor.

Story was kinda shitty, then again, I think Mikami is an excellent game designer, but not really too much of a writer, so it was expected. DLC will pretty much necessary, story-wise.

A lot of scripted, chase sequences with 1HKO mechanics, which I really dislike.
Including the final boss.

Checkpoints made the "survival" element kinda weak, you died? No problem, you are restating from 5 seconds ago. Sometimes I even intentionally died when I realized I wasted too many resources. Not like I get any penalty from it.

Really baffling since the game also has "normal" save rooms, though I guess checkpoints were necessary given the linear nature of the game and how much shit can 1HKO you (Sliding death traps out of fucking nowhere! I hope you are fast enough to aim to the switch as you fall)

Ammo was indeed scarce, which was nice, although there was never a sense of "resource management" since generally the game will give you all the items you need for the yet another scripted situation/horde of enemies. It also has "you can't have more than xxx of that item" thing which I hate. If I'm good and I managed to not waste ammunitions why should I be penalized?

Dunno what to make of the stealth mechanics, kinda half-assed, especially coming from Alien:Isolation.

TL;DR RE4 with modern AAA design and SH visuals. It even has an XP ability system!

Thanks for the impressions.

It looks like this game is going to be pretty polarizing, as expected.

UK also have a midnight unlock ~ 50 minutes.

The trick a few pages back was for xbox, to download the game from the indian(I think?) store, unlock it then play if offline.

Yeah i mentioned that trick a few pages back. worked for destiny and diablo.

I got home, read some framerate impressions, and bought it on pc though. So idk still if that is still in play for xbox or not. Havent heard anyone trying it.

So....uhhh...THAT SAID.....has anyone been able to successfully VPN into somewhere its gonna unlock earlier/when is that unlock? Using steam i mean.

Squishy3

Yeah i mentioned that trick a few pages back. worked for destiny and diablo.

I got home, read some framerate impressions, and bought it on pc though. So idk still if that is still in play for xbox or not. Havent heard anyone trying it.

So....uhhh...THAT SAID.....has anyone been able to successfully VPN into somewhere its gonna unlock earlier/when is that unlock? Using steam i mean.
The UK version unlocks in 48 minutes.

Squishy3

Which VPN?
I personally use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ but I obviously use it for more than just unlocking stuff on Steam early.

Can using a VPN get you banned? And would Hola do it or am I misunderstanding what a VPN is?
I've never heard of anyone getting banned for it, but there's always some sort of risk that comes with doing this sort of thing. For Steam it has to be a desktop VPN client, Hola only works for stuff like accessing sites and videos that aren't available in your region.

Anung

Un Rama
This games tone is all over the place. One mission it feels RE4 and the next it goes all Silent Hill. Jarring in a good way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Debug list was posted in the pc thread and it actually seems pretty cool. Fps unlocks, infinite ammo and god modes, aspect ratio, slowdown and free camera. Old school shit.

Grief.exe

Important bits

R_swapinterval <NUMBER>
  • Sets the FPS lock. Note that the numbers below are negative.
  • -2: This is the default, set to 30 FPS. This is the officially supported frame rate
  • -1: This sets the FPS limit to 60. Fully playable, although there may be quirks (we’re going to fix these).
  • 0: This fully unlocks the FPS. We do not recommend playing above 60. We will not fix any issues above 60.

Toggledebugcamera
  • Separates the camera from Sebastian so you can freely move around the

R_forceaspectratio <NUMBER>
  • Sets the aspect ratio. Default is 2.5, which is our official aspect ratio.
  • 0 is full screen, but not ideal. 1.8 or 2 is probably most comfortable for those who don’t want bars.

Can using a VPN get you banned? And would Hola do it or am I misunderstanding what a VPN is?

Nope.

Valve only frowns on using a VPN to buy games on another Region's Steam store to exploit their regional pricing.

Anung

Un Rama
Saw your avatar. Does it have a vibe similar the original alone in the dark at all? Is there a Lovecraft vibe?

Nothing explicitly Lovecrafty about it yet. It does have stealth mechanics based on running and hiding from enemies (some of which are quite strong) so you could say there are similarities to AITD

Top Bottom