• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

Tongue

I have been loving this so far. I am shocked that it is mostly bug free on launch.

Arrow troops are crazy devastating, until the asshole AI runs 3 cavalry behind my lines and rolls them all up lol.

Orgun

I don't think there is a greater feeling than defending your castle against a much larger enemy force. :D So great.

Tongue

JWong said:
Is there a chart somewhere about units? Just trying to find out which is the strongest...

I have been meaning to look for one as well.

I'm not sure if the samurai versions of troops are worth it. They take for freaking ever to heal and take 2 turns to recruit. The peasant spear guys seem as effective, heal much faster, are dirt cheap, and I haven't really had to much trouble with their morale. I am very early in my first run though so things may change.

InertiaXr

Tongue said:

I'm not sure if the samurai versions of troops are worth it. They take for freaking ever to heal and take 2 turns to recruit. The peasant spear guys seem as effective, heal much faster, are dirt cheap, and I haven't really had to much trouble with their morale. I am very early in my first run though so things may change.

Yup, Samurai appear to be mostly worthless. They seem to be flat out worse to use in battle for me sometimes compared to the basic dudes, and the time they take to heal is way too long.

More than once I've had a unit of Yari Samurai go head to head with opponents Yari Ashigaru in nearly completely 1v1 battles and my guys get routed...how is this possible?

depths20XX

Tongue said:

I dunno, I think the samurai are worth it. I disbanded a bunch of my ashigaru and started recruiting mostly samurai. I've seen 3 units of yari ashigaru get fought off by one unit of my katana samurai. Of course it depends on the angles of attack and such. Ashigaru have their place but samurai get the job done.

Tongue

InertiaXr said:
Yup, Samurai appear to be mostly worthless. They seem to be flat out worse to use in battle for me sometimes compared to the basic dudes, and the time they take to heal is way too long.

More than once I've had a unit of Yari Samurai go head to head with opponents Yari Ashigaru in nearly completely 1v1 battles and my guys get routed...how is this possible?

Haha that needs to be tweaked then. I wonder if it's because the Samurai have a lot less troops than the Ashigaru? I also find the Samurai "run faster" ability to be less useful than the spear wall.

I also need to find a better tactic to take out castles. Right now I am softening them up by using all my arrows and then sending in the Yari guys. If the AI has equal numbers I am getting my ass handed to me.

You'll notice the difference later on for sure. Later on you'll be facing armies with lots of katana samurai. Yari ashigaru get chewed up by those guys. You'll still need to keep some around though. Bow ashigaru stay more useful later but they aren't as good against armoured units as bow samurai. For much of the early game ashigaru are fine though.

Tongue

depths20XX said:
I dunno, I think the samurai are worth it. I disbanded a bunch of my ashigaru and started recruiting mostly samurai. I've seen 3 units of yari ashigaru get fought off by one unit of my katana samurai. Of course it depends on the angles of attack and such. Ashigaru have their place but samurai get the job done.

I haven't tried the Swords guys yet, only the spear. Maybe thats where I am going wrong.

Tongue

Air Zombie Meat said:
You'll notice the difference later on for sure. Later on you'll be facing armies with lots of katana samurai. Yari ashigaru get chewed up by those guys. You'll still need to keep some around though. Bow ashigaru stay more useful later but they aren't as good against armoured units as bow samurai. For much of the early game ashigaru are fine though.

What does the composition of one of your later armies look like if you don't mind me asking?

I want to get a sense of where I should be heading in regards to army building.

InertiaXr

Tongue said:
I also need to find a better tactic to take out castles. Right now I am softening them up by using all my arrows and then sending in the Yari guys. If the AI has equal numbers I am getting my ass handed to me.

I never do siege battles, you can almost always siege the city your attacking and the enemy will come out and attack you on a normal battlefield usually within 2 turns or so.

depths20XX

Tongue said:
I haven't tried the Swords guys yet, only the spear. Maybe thats where I am going wrong.

Yari samurai are actually not that good from what I've seen. They do well against cavalry but not really that great against yari ashigaru. They can be decent if you manage to charge with them and use that rush skill. Mostly I put my money in the sword wielding samurai.

Tongue said:
What does the composition of one of your later armies look like if you don't mind me asking?

I want to get a sense of where I should be heading in regards to army building.

Off the top of my head typically I have 3/4 cavalry units (mixture of katana\yari cavalry depending on enemies army), 3 katana units, 4 spear units and the rest archers. Seems to work quite well for me.

That is for late game though, ashigaru are fine if thats all your enemy is sending against you himself. Once you guys start going up against entire samurai armies you'll be wanting to replace most of your yari ashigaru.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
InertiaXr said:
I never do siege battles, you can almost always siege the city your attacking and the enemy will come out and attack you on a normal battlefield usually within 2 turns or so.

Siege is always better in my experience if you have a very archer heavy army, the enemy just stays inside and gets decimated. You dont even have to scale the walls until most everyone is dead. Ive lost no more than a couple hundred to enemy archers where as an actual pitched battle can be quite costly even if your tactics trump the enemies since youll have to deal with all of their forces coming against your instead of just the archers.

Also Im with Yari Ashigaru group, shield wall has been invaluable to me. I have had one line of yari ashigaru last quite long against 2-3 enemy units thanks to that where Yari Samurai or katana Samurai would crumble quite quickly under those kinds of odds.

JWong

Banned
How are the calvary types? Are bow calvary better than the other bow types? My daimyo can only recruit bow calvary on the go, but not bow infantry.

depths20XX

Air Zombie Meat said:
Off the top of my head typically I have 3/4 cavalry units (mixture of katana\yari cavalry depending on enemies army), 3 katana units, 4 spear units and the rest archers. Seems to work quite well for me.

Does siege weaponry or knocking down enemy walls ever become viable in this game? I kind of miss doing that.

depths20XX said:
Does siege weaponry or knocking down enemy walls ever become viable in this game? I kind of miss doing that.

Never used it and haven't seen the ai use it either unfortunately. If theres a big army in the the enemies castle I usually just besiege and within a turn or two they'll come out to attack. The campaign ai is really aggressive and they'll usually use thier armies in attack rather than defence so most of the provinces I captured were undefended after destroying their main army elsewhere. Just haven't really needed siege weapons. Do want to try them out in my next game though.

depths20XX said:

I've been using the european canons, just a single unit of them, in my seiging army. I find it helps greatly because it can VERY quickly take out gates, walls, and towers. It only takes 2-3 volleys from the canons to destroy any of those defenses, much faster than in Napoleon/Empire/Medieval. The canons are useless though on field battles it seems.

As for samurai vs arigashu I think it depends on what your clans strengths are. As shimazu I highly reccomend the Shimazu Katana Samurai, because once you get all the technology and bonuses you can really tear up any non-cavalry on the battlefield with them. I recruit a lot of arigashu bowmen and yari over the samurai counterparts because of the cost benefit.

Only used bow cavalry once, and I'm not sure how effective as archers they were, although the circle-tactic ability (i forget what its called), looks damn cool. They probably aren't as good as a group of real archers but with their speed they can make damn fine harrassment units.

anyone had this problem yet?

iwhjy.jpg

markot

Banned
Orgun said:
I don't think there is a greater feeling than defending your castle against a much larger enemy force. :D So great.
This, especially when its really close >.< I love defending in sieges, but I hate trying to take castles...

That said all my defences have been against rebels and co so far >.> id hate to see what a real army could do with siege weapons and what notses...

If you have a territory with a Holy Site you MUST make Buddhist Warrior Monks (unless you're Christian). The Morale and exp bonus makes them very powerful, particularly their archers as they have better range, accuracy and morale than any other archers (except Hero archers) and the Whistling arrows skill. In castle defences they're excellent, the extra range making all the difference, even if their unit number is less than a normal archer unit. Warrior Monk Naginata are also pretty good, though they do lack armour. Still, they have good morale and charge bonuses. They're both pretty reliable. I have an army of 5 Warrior Monk archers 4 Monk Naginata, 2 Katana Samurai and some Yari Cavalry and they're unstoppable.

On my first "successful" campaign I made the mistake of thinking that I simply had to take and hold Kyoto for four rounds to win. Once I had enough strength I made my move and took it easily.

Then of course the entire country turned on me including my vassal. I still consider it a win though because I have been able to repel every attacking army for nearly ten turns thanks to my ungodly archer units and the Kyoto Moat of Doom.

Next time I'll just capture 30 or so provinces so I can lose a couple before gaining complete control over the shogunate.

markot

Banned
BannedEpisode said:
On my first "successful" campaign I made the mistake of thinking that I simply had to take and hold Kyoto for four rounds to win. Once I had enough strength I made my move and took it easily.

Then of course the entire country turned on me including my vassal. I still consider it a win though because I have been able to repel every attacking army for nearly ten turns thanks to my ungodly archer units and the Kyoto Moat of Doom.

Next time I'll just capture 30 or so provinces so I can lose a couple before gaining complete control over the shogunate.
Taking over too much territory causes the 'realm divided' event which essentially mean the shogun puts a hit out on you and all the clans pretty much declare war on you >.<

markot said:
Taking over too much territory causes the 'realm divided' event which essentially mean the shogun puts a hit out on you and all the clans pretty much declare war on you >.<

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Thats tricky.

Volodja

My first short campaign came to an end; the last 10 turns were basically me pressing next turn without doing anything because I messed everything up too much to do more than just skipping ahead.
I tried taking an island that had been isolated the entire game, no contact with any other region outside of trade, they never met any enemy, I land on their shores and the next turn 20 units of archers, yari ashigaru and cavalry at nonsense levels attack me. The numbers were close, the result wasn't, a slaughter, not even 1 man left for me.
Every other clan around me had at least 1 doom stack of those while I didn't. Bad planning on my part on many things, especially considering that the huge amount of resources and research I invested for Warrior Monks didn't pay off one bit, maybe I was using them in the wrong way.
Maybe I should start using some Sword units to reinforce the line after the enemy charges, Monks cost too much and it's quite difficult to get to the buildings that give them bonus experience.

Flambe

Ysiadmihi said:
I've been doing this for generals that mostly defend towns. They usually end up as the absolute last line of defense so I figure it's good to make them as durable as possible.

I think I'm going the opposite route, I'm crazy-focusing my bloody Daimyo into a God-emperor wannabe :lol
+10 charge? Yes please, and the troops gotta respect the leader kicking ass and taking names =D

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Kyaw said:
Does anyone play this game online? Last time i checked out online, i couldnt find any rooms... o_O

I haven't seen a single game on the room list, so I'm assuming there is a bug. I can get matches through matchmaking almost instantly though.

One thing I've noticed is that if I don't see any chat rooms listed, I won't be able to connect to anyone. It's like the game is disconnected from the servers without telling you. The only solution I've found is to restart the game.

bollocks to all the bluster from samurai fanboys who think katanas can cut cars in half. You see just how primitive the japanese were at war when a glorious portuguese carrack blasts the fuck out of 2 stacks of my crappy bow and arrow ships.

/black ship QQ

Ysiadmihi

Banned
General deaths seem way too important in multiplayer. I had nothing but a group of bow ashigaru left and my general against 5 units. I was able to kill the enemy general with mine and 4 units routed from a melee with my archers. It was pretty cool but I felt guilty getting a win out of that.

To those of you out there who feel bitterly betrayed by Empire, like I do, let me say I spent a few hours with this game yesterday and absolutely love it. The game is gorgeous, has the depth without the complication and an amazing interface. Let Creative Assembly make it up to you.

JWong

Banned
I don't get how reinforcements work. You get the full affect of reinforcements when you sim the battle, but when you manually get into a battle, your reinforcements don't really come.

Also, I found that simming sieges is more effective than trying to do it. I tried so many times to get a decent victory in one siege, but it was too difficult. Then I tried to sim it and got heroic victory.

Mr_Brit

Banned
How do you repeair buildings after you have captured a town? The strongholds in two of my captured provinces(I only have 5 in total lol) aren't getting fixed for some reason.

gotee12

I would love it if some of you Total War vets could share your battle replay files with us noobs. Getting to watch your battles from various angles in the replay theatre would help a lot!

depths20XX

Mr_Brit said:
How do you repeair buildings after you have captured a town? The strongholds in two of my captured provinces(I only have 5 in total lol) aren't getting fixed for some reason.

Click on the stronghold then hit the repair button in the bottom left area.

Clott

Need some help gaf, so far I have been doing just fine and conquered the top 4 regions of the island. At this point I would like to invest into the navy and I just signed a trade agreement but the game warns me I have to protect the trade route, so how would I go about protecting this?

InertiaXr

Clott said:
Need some help gaf, so far I have been doing just fine and conquered the top 4 regions of the island. At this point I would like to invest into the navy and I just signed a trade agreement but the game warns me I have to protect the trade route, so how would I go about protecting this?

Pirates or enemy factions will roll ships up into your ports and blockade them and you can't trade in or out of those. In previous games you and enemies could blockade trade routes anywhere along them between ports, but I've yet to see that happen in Shogun 2 in particular.

Clott

InertiaXr said:
Pirates or enemy factions will roll ships up into your ports and blockade them and you can't trade in or out of those. In previous games you and enemies could blockade trade routes anywhere along them between ports, but I've yet to see that happen in Shogun 2 in particular.

So the key is to keep my military might on the trade route? How can naval warfare supplement my land campaign?

InertiaXr

Clott said:
So the key is to keep my military might on the trade route? How can naval warfare supplement my land campaign?

Naval warfare doesn't seem like a big deal so far, especially in Shogun 2. It could be in Empire due to the huge multiple continents you were looking to conquer, but with Japan being mostly 1 huge island the only real reason I use any ships is to protect my trade ships. The AI doesn't use many ships in my experiences so far, it's more of a simply nuisance than anything else.

Damn, I left it till the very last turn before victory conditions expire to take Kyoto but apparently you need to hold Kyoto for a year for it to count. Would have moved sooner if I'd known. Oh well, time to do a new campaign with another clan.

InertiaXr said:
If you mean "pirating" on the trade routes where the flag of a fleet shows crossed swords, I have seen that and you can do it yourself if you attack the trade route of an enemy. You seem to get more revenue doing this now than you did in Empire too.

Orgun

I'm having some serious christian rebellion issues at the moments, wish I had never opened those ports. Oh well, it's fun putting them to the sword and it means more exp for my generals :)

Bust Nak

JWong said:
I don't get how reinforcements work. You get the full affect of reinforcements when you sim the battle, but when you manually get into a battle, your reinforcements don't really come.
You can only have 20 units at a time. Once some routs off the field, the reinforcements will arrive. You can manually retreat your units with a button, say archers units that have ran out of arrows.

If I remember right and it hasn't changed for this game then flaming arrows lower morale more than regular arrows but their main purpose is to set wooden stuff on fire. I think that they are also decent for firing at infantry units camping in the woods in this game.

Just started trying out the avatar battle stuff in the game and enjoying it but, man, the matchmaking is broken. Isn't recording stats properly, sometimes gets a bug where it searches for a game for ever and other times gets a bug where it finds a match then just throws you right into a battle with no chance to select an army.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
More Fun To Compute said:
If I remember right and it hasn't changed for this game then flaming arrows lower morale more than regular arrows but their main purpose is to set wooden stuff on fire. I think that they are also decent for firing at infantry units camping in the woods in this game.

Alright, thanks :)

Still stunned that attackers in MP siege don't have a time limit. How could they have overlooked this?

Top Bottom