• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

Ysiadmihi said:
Alright, thanks :)

Still stunned that attackers in MP siege don't have a time limit. How could they have overlooked this?

I've only played one siege where I attacked in a drop in game. Don't like sieges all that much in the single player, normally just get a good army and auto resolve.

markot

Banned
Yeah, I hate attacking, its impossible to do without taking heavy losses unless you are like 20-1 >.<

..... although I dont have any siege units... which may explain it.

Otheradam

Does the box copy come with anything worth keeping? Like a nice manual or anything? If not, I might just get the digital version.

eznark

Banned
Otheradam said:
Does the box copy come with anything worth keeping? Like a nice manual or anything? If not, I might just get the digital version.

It does not, though the box looks nice on a shelf.

Any good digital sales for this game? I am thinking about just spending the whole 50 but usually there is some sale that I miss.

InertiaXr

GhostRidah said:
Sweet, but it seems like the limited edition features do not come with the amazon download, or at least they dont list it. Which is weird because the limited edition is the same price as the digital one.

Scroll down into the description, it lists the extra Limited Edition features that it comes with, and the page is named Shogun 2 Limited Edition. I think all of the initial run is Limited Edition so none of them are necessarily called Limited Edition, but come with the extra stuff. I bought mine off direct2drive for $40 and it is just called Shogun 2 there, but I did get the Limited Edition stuff.

InertiaXr said:
Scroll down into the description, it lists the extra Limited Edition features that it comes with, and the page is named Shogun 2 Limited Edition. I think all of the initial run is Limited Edition so none of them are necessarily called Limited Edition, but come with the extra stuff. I bought mine off direct2drive for $40 and it is just called Shogun 2 there, but I did get the Limited Edition stuff.
Thanks man

whoa 16gb

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Updates to Total War: SHOGUN 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Total War: SHOGUN 2
Multiplayer - Fixed a bug whereby winning a match made battle via the opponent conceding defeat did not register a win statistic or count towards the match made battle victory achievement.
Multiplayer - Fixed a bug that would see The Dishonourable Coward trait from being incorrectly awarded to players. The trait has also been reset for the entire player base.
Multiplayer - Fixed a bug that would see avatar costs incorrectly deducted from funds for a naval battle.
Multiplayer - Fixed instances where players were unable to fully upgrade their General’s Avatar skills.

It seems they fixed some of the matchmaking issues too.

Hari Seldon

Finally got a lot of time with the game last night. Damn it is pretty fun, although my first campaign playing the tutorial guys on Normal is way too easy. Took over my island like in the tutorial campaign, and took over the island to the west with an awesome sea invasion. I have like 50/50 Cheap Yari guys and Katana Samurai, plus like 6 archer units, and 2 cav units. I have 3 of the 5 trading ports so my economy is booming. Those trading ports seem to be the real key, and keeping that trade flowing is really the reason to have a Navy.

I have noticed that is a definite waste to have a bunch of provinces that can all produce units, so I'm trying to destroy buildings where I don't need to build units and put up the Sake Den - Market - Monastary trifecta.

I think I'm going to go Mongol style and go with an all Cav army soon just to screw around. Like 8 archer cav and the rest split between Yari and Katana Cav.

depths20XX

There's also a bug when in co-op campaign. Sometimes when your co-op partner gifts you units to control in battle they become uncontrollable, by either player. Happens fairly frequently too. I've also seen where my reinforcements come in and can't be controlled at all.

Kind of dissapointed that there seems to be very few times where you will actually engage in a field battle. Seems to almost always be sieges.

epmode

GhostRidah said:
Thanks man

whoa 16gb
Did they just give you a CD key to plug into Steam or do you have to download the game from Amazon before you see it?

Also: Can you confirm that the digital Amazon version is still the Limited Edition?

InertiaXr

Wow, this realm divide bullshit really ruins the game. It does not matter what you offer the AI, no matter how big you are or how small they are or their geographical location to you, they will declare war on you the next turn if you somehow get them to agree to peace. Every single time. Does anybody know if there are mods out to fix this or just get rid of it altogether? I would like to play another campaign but if I know I have to deal with this towards the end I won't bother.

Edit: I have to take some of this back. Although I'm at war with all of the remaining 9 clans, they all are dumb as shit and never send much of an attack force at me, and don't seem to collaborate with each other at all either. If the devs were able to get some good AI in these games it would be phenomenal.

epmode said:
Did they just give you a CD key to plug into Steam or do you have to download the game from Amazon before you see it?

Also: Can you confirm that the digital Amazon version is still the Limited Edition?
Dont think its the limited version, I don't see any of the bonus stuff.

I just bought it off there, got the code put it in steam and downloaded it off steam, easy and fast.

The giant bomb quick look got me interested in the game. I played the demo and it seemed pretty fun. Since I've never played a total war game (or any turned based strategy game really) is this the best in the series? I'll have to wait till it goes on sale if it is, or do you guys think Napoleon or something is more enjoyable?

InertiaXr

cuevas said:
The giant bomb quick look got me interested in the game. I played the demo and it seemed pretty fun. Since I've never played a total war game (or any turned based strategy game really) is this the best in the series? I'll have to wait till it goes on sale if it is, or do you guys think Napoleon or something is more enjoyable?

In all honesty the giantbomb QL was pretty poor, the guy playing didn't seem to have ever played before it was really bizarre. As for which game you'd like more, are you most interested in feudal japan and more of melee fighting or more interested in line infantry with firearms and based during Napoleon's reign?

I honestly think that this is the best place to start since it is top quality and has plenty of enhancements. But if the idea of playing as Rome with more variation in different sides appeals to you then Rome is also very good and should be a bargain. But the turn based strategy is less of a chore to manage in this game. Mainly since Japan is a less confusing map than others.

But different people seem to have their favourites. I played someone yesterday who was just really frustrated by not getting the feeling of the combat compared to Napoleonic era. Other people just hate not having the uber Heavy Cavalry of the medieval games. But all the cool people know that infantry heavy games like Rome and Shogun 2 are the best.

Does anyone else find navies in this game useless except for maybe ferrying around troops?

It is always preferrable to use that money per turn on ground forces, ships aren't gonna win you any wars, I find.

InertiaXr

Igor Antunov said:
Does anyone else find navies in this game useless except for maybe ferrying around troops?

It is always preferrable to use that money per turn on ground forces, ships aren't gonna win you any wars, I find.

I use all my naval power to control trade nodes. But yes the AI doesn't seem to use their navy to conduct naval invasions so there is no reason for players to have much of a naval presence either.

Lime

Just finished my first run on Normal as the Shimazu(sp?) clan. The 'Realm Divided' point wasn't as difficult as I thought though.

Nevertheless I feel like I should play more of this game, but it is too time consuming and too epic. It's much more fun than Empire (my last played TW game) and I am so glad that it was the sequel to the original Shogun that came out as enjoyable as it is.

This is most definitely the best game of 2011 so far.

Veritas_

I started a new campaign as the Shimazu, and got a crash to desktop before I ended my first turn. I relaunched the game, made the same actions, and it crashed again. Wat.

Someone try this,
Start a short campaign on normal as the Shimazu. Upgrade your farm and port, send your army into the nearby Ito (Purple crescent) territory and click on their standing army to scout it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Veritas_ said:
I started a new campaign as the Shimazu, and got a crash to desktop before I ended my first turn. I relaunched the game, made the same actions, and it crashed again. Wat.

Someone try this,
Start a short campaign on normal as the Shimazu. Upgrade your farm and port, send your army into the nearby Ito (Purple crescent) territory and click on their standing army to scout it.

Yeah I noticed this a few weeks ago. I just avoided clicking on the army after a few tries with the same repeated crash.

belier

I'm considering buying this game after playing the demo for about an hour. Don't like wasting my videogames' time on demos.
Just some quick questions:

- Is there any kind of preset formations, like the cavalry V-formation, but for the rest of units?
- Is that click and drag system the only way to dispose the units on the battlefield? I mean the orientation and positioning (number of rows). It's a bit difficult for me. Arrow goes crazy sometimes, along with not having two different units perfectly aligned.
- Is it possible to make a block with two units of different type, to make the to move as one but leaving a gap between them? Like archers in front, cavalry behind them.

I've read that it's more affordable this game than Empire or Napoleon. Is that true?
Is it worth limited edition?

How does this game compares with American Conquest or Cossacks series?

Thanks in advance.

PS: At the end were not that quick, the questions... :p

You can make a whole army move as one if you form an army group (CTRL+1 on selected units for example) There's also preset army formations if you use that option as well.

You can have them move in smaller increments by using the little buttons in the bottom left corner of the screen. There's also buttons there to increase or decrease the number of rank and file. That's very helpful if like me you're very anal about the look of your armies.

Some companies have their own individual skills, the cavalry you mentioned can form wedge. yari ashigari can spear wall, arquebus can fire by ranks.

"How does this game compares with American Conquest or Cossacks series? "

It doesn't really, those two were more traditional isometric RTS's with base building. This is a turn based empire builder with 3d battles.

It does compare in that it's a bloody good game like cossacks and AC though. :)

fizzelopeguss said:
That's very helpful if like me you're very anal about the look of your armies.
Its the best and also the worst part of the series. It just adds so much overhead in terms of time you spend on a single battle that you just start to auto resolve all of the ones that aren't important or would have your army lose.

belier

fizzelopeguss said:
You can make a whole army move as one if you form an army group (CTRL+1 on selected units for example) There's also preset army formations if you use that option as well.

You can have them move in smaller increments by using the little buttons in the bottom left corner of the screen. There's also buttons there to increase or decrease the number of rank and file. That's very helpful if like me you're very anal about the look of your armies.

Some companies have their own individual skills, the cavalry you mentioned can form wedge. yari ashigari can spear wall, arquebus can fire by ranks.

"How does this game compares with American Conquest or Cossacks series? "

It doesn't really, those two were more traditional isometric RTS's with base building. This is a turn based empire builder with 3d battles.

It does compare in that it's a bloody good game like cossacks and AC though. :)

Thx a lot. I'll give another try tonight before buying it.

Some good mods that deal with realm divide etc over at twcenter.net.

Naval invasions tend to happen in the later game for me, and they happen quite a bit. Far back from the frontlines, too.

belier

Got it yesterday...
About to begin SP campaign or whatever it is...

Are all the factions the same?
Starting with the Chocolates from the demo, is a handicap as they are in an island?

Thanks in advance...

Mr_Brit

Banned
belier said:
Got it yesterday...

Starting with the Chocolates from the demo, is a handicap as they are in an island?

Thanks in advance...
I'd start with Shimazu as they seem to be the easiest going from what other people in the thread have said.

Lime

SnakeswithLasers said:
Any word on whether this runs better than Empire? My computer "should" be ok, but I only play these for the campaign, and while http://www.systemrequirementslab.com said that I met the Empire recommended reqs, the game lagged horribly on campaign map.

It is *more* technically demanding than Empire, but it seems much better optimized.

belier said:
Got it yesterday...

Thanks in advance...

Chocolates are godly, they're the archer faction and i'm sure their bow ships get an upgrade as well.

Either shimazu or chosokabe are similar in their goals in that you really want to conquer the whole of kyushu (the far west isle) as it has very fertile land. (great for lots of castle and market upgrades)

Lime said:
It is *more* technically demanding than Empire, but it seems much better optimized.
Hmm... Thanks. Has the demo proven to be pretty indicative of the final product as far as performance? A lot of times there is a huge difference...

InertiaXr said:
I use all my naval power to control trade nodes. But yes the AI doesn't seem to use their navy to conduct naval invasions so there is no reason for players to have much of a naval presence either.

I was playing as the Chosokabe (sp?), conquered my island and hopped on to the big island and shatter the Hattori

Then the Iwagawa (sp?) launch a massive naval invasion. I was only able to stave off defeat by blockading their ports and whittling down their army bit by bit. In the end I was able to reclaim all my lost territory, but the whole affair utterly bankrupted.

snakes: No, the demo performs far, far worse than the full version. I couldn't get away with running the demo on medium, but the full version runs like hot butter.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Had an opponent waste all of his funds on matchlock samurai and then whined the whole game about not having enough funds while my bow monks easily outranged them.

bjb

Banned
Archers are way too OP right now.

Definitely see this being addressed in the next title update.

belier

bonesmccoy said:
snakes: No, the demo performs far, far worse than the full version. I couldn't get away with running the demo on medium, but the full version runs like hot butter.

Which comp do you have?
Which settings are you using?
I'm playing with default settings and, when in the heat of a battle, framerate goes to hell...

Top Bottom