• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shogun 2 |OT| This is Total War

Morn

Banned
I think I'm going to restart my campaign. I get to the point where they want you to take over a province, but the ones they tell me to do are either very far away or allied with the one I'm a vassal with and I can't take him out yet.

Trin3785 said:
Any idea why i would give my children as a hostage in this game?

It was common practice in the courts even in europe, it was a gesture of good will (or loyalty and submission). International law wasn't exactly well developed at that time and this was a way to ensure the respect of alliances or treaties.

Sweet, it isn't as buggy as Empire! :) Only 2 CTD since my last posts. Playing as Shimazu, mad fun.
Captured me the Black Ship with crap ship spam :)

Almighty

Trin3785 said:
Any idea why i would give my children as a hostage in this game?

I believe it makes it so you and the AI have to keep the agreement for 8 turns or the hostage dies.

More or less its a way to make it so you or the AI(mostly AI) think twice before breaking the peace agreement the turn after you made it.

InertiaXr

Just got this from direct2drive for $40, downloading 16GB from Steam now. I sure hope I am able to get some time to play tonight, I've heard nothing but good things about it and I think I will enjoy the melee/archers more than guns/artillery from Empire.

Veritas_

Morn said:
I think I'm going to restart my campaign. I get to the point where they want you to take over a province, but the ones they tell me to do are either very far away or allied with the one I'm a vassal with and I can't take him out yet.

I've had a similar encounter. I'm playing as the Chosokabe (on the Southeastern island) and I keep getting missions to hack my way through 50 different clans across Japan to take an isolated province on the Western edge of the mainland. Otherwise, the game is a blast. I'm really loving the simplified mechanics of siege battles - no need for ladders or rams, just climb up the walls.

Edit: Yeah, the Mori were killed off on something like turn 3, I did a triple-take.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Seems like it doing pretty well. First time I have ever seen a non-shooter at the top of the list.

5533559959_b8cbea09ce_b.jpg

Awesome. Came home today and BAM, my copy had arrived. Presently installing, then chores and the usual family rigmarole. But tonight...tonight I begin my Shimazu-powered consolidation and annexation of the Home Islands!

Very excited.

Full disclosure, I live in the old Shimazu heartland of Satsuma, in Ijuin. Five minutes from the shrine they all went to before marching off to Sekigahara (admittedly supporting the wrong side!). There's an epic statue of one particular Shimazu (Yoshihisa, I do believe) outside the train station around the corner.

Feel the Shimazu power!

Aon

Hojo clan are where it's at! You'll only take my castles with 10-1 odds!

Does anyone else find their castles virtually unassailable on the normal difficulty?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Put some more time into this tonight, very happy with it. AI is a lot better - not perfect, but I'm pleased. AI is also really aggressive though lawl. That or everyone else in Japan just loathes Date that much.

DrBo42

OttomanScribe said:
Everyone loves Shimazu! :D
mon_256.png

Anyone else marched their way across Japan forcibly converting them to Christianity? Tis mad fun.

Shimazu are pretty much the only logical choice. You're backed into the safety of the coast (at least by land) and you have some pretty good bonuses.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Damn this game straight up maxes out my GPU the entire time the game is running lol. 99% usage with everything maxed/turned on except DoF and SSAO @ 1920x1200 resolution.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Sickboy007 said:
It was common practice in the courts even in europe, it was a gesture of good will (or loyalty and submission). International law wasn't exactly well developed at that time and this was a way to ensure the respect of alliances or treaties.

By the Tokugawa period (Iemitsu, I think) it became enshrined into law for family and children to reside in Edo as well as for the damiyo to reside in Edo every six months. It was called sankin kotai, I do believe, so yeah this is just a prototype for that.

Once you become Shogun... boy, it ain't no picnic. Think I'll go back a few saves and wait until there's just two years left on my Campaign before taking Kyoto.

Wow! Just began my Shimazu campaign, had a good laugh busting up a peasant rebellion in Shibushi, where I had my wedding ceremony a few years back. It's great game. Running everything on ultra, plus a few tweaks like depth of field and whatnot. AA isn't yet available, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with my 5650 MobRadeon.

Big fan. Not much else I can say, really!

Pylon_Trooper said:
Wow! Just began my Shimazu campaign, had a good laugh busting up a peasant rebellion in Shibushi, where I had my wedding ceremony a few years back. It's great game. Running everything on ultra, plus a few tweaks like depth of field and whatnot. AA isn't yet available, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with my 5650 MobRadeon.

Big fan. Not much else I can say, really!
Apparantly AA will be unlocked with the DX11 patch in a few weeks time.

Anybody else found the Seven Samurai quotes? I've seen three so far (keep an eye out on the retainers for your Generals). I hope there's seven of them! :)

Slackbladder said:
Apparantly AA will be unlocked with the DX11 patch in a few weeks time.

Anybody else found the Seven Samurai quotes? I've seen three so far (keep an eye out on the retainers for your Generals). I hope there's seven of them! :)

Great to hear about the AA. Not that it's a hideous game, but a little smoothing would go a loooong way. I'll keep an eye out for the quotes!

Bust Nak

Muhaha. I have won the Uesugi short campaign on normal, after a few failed attempts. The key is not triggering the realm divided event until you are good and ready to steamroll the remaining objectives. I was bringing in 4000 koku a season before that, then went to negative after all the other clans rallied behind the old shogunate and cancelled their trade treaties.

Merino said:
How can you replace the CPU army in a drop in battle?
Didnt see any menu option for that anywhere.
If you want to go into others' campaign game, it's under matched games in multiplayer.

Morn said:
I had to take one region from an allied clan as my objective, sent in a monk to incite revolt. Then took the region from the rebels. That way you stay allied and only take a slight hit (-20 or so) on diplomacy clan relation.

Almighty

DrBo42 said:
Shimazu are pretty much the only logical choice. You're backed into the safety of the coast (at least by land) and you have some pretty good bonuses.

Yeah they seem to me at least to be the perfect clan to pick the first time. I also found their close proximity to a good chunk of the trade points very beneficial.

eznark

Banned
Played through the tutorial campaign (just because I want to play all the campaigns) and it was solid. Definitely a step up from some of their previous tutorials.

I also jumped into one online match. I had no real clue what I was doing so I only took like 650 men into battle. Turned out I was facing an army 2.5 times as large. I held my own for a bit with some fancy calvary and tried to trap him but the perfect view of the battlefield sort of kills any chance of that sadly. He ended up just grouping and rolling me. At low levels on even terrain it's pretty tough for a small force to defeat a larger one I guess since we have the same units and no special general skills. All in all it was a ton of fun and I really look forward to trying it some more.

Is there a way to concede the battle? We kind of putz around for 5-10 minutes watching my tiny force valiantly try to survive before the game ended the battle.

syoaran

OttomanScribe said:
Everyone loves Shimazu! :D
mon_256.png

Anyone else marched their way across Japan forcibly converting them to Christianity? Tis mad fun.

These were my go-to guys in Shogun 1, and will be in Shogun 2

falastini

Being a fan of strategy/RTS games I figured the Total War series was the logical next step. Unfortunately, my first attempt at the series was Empire, which completely turned me off to TW. So... I'm a little hesitant to jump in again. However, I did try the demo briefly and was pleasantly surprised.

Does anybody have experience with Amazon downloads? They have a digital version of the game for $39. I'm considering it.

gotee12

falastini said:
Being a fan of strategy/RTS games I figured the Total War series was the logical next step. Unfortunately, my first attempt at the series was Empire, which completely turned me off to TW. So... I'm a little hesitant to jump in again. However, I did try the demo briefly and was pleasantly surprised.

Does anybody have experience with Amazon downloads? They have a digital version of the game for $39. I'm considering it.
Shogun 2 is a steamworks game. Which means you'll download the game via Steam. Unless you buy retail which will install via DVDs and then register itself to you steam account. A dd purchase of Shogun 2 from Amazon should be nothing more than Amazon sending you the activation key that you will have to activate on Steam and then download via Steam...

Whilst trying to decide to get this game (I own Medievel 2, Empire & Napoleon), my computer crashes and dies. I don't know yet if its the motherboard, HDD or power source, but it's looking like I might have to post in the 'Build A PC' thread for a while before posting again in this one.

:(

eznark

Banned
Mr. Snrub said:
Just got Homefront but want to buy this next, always loved the Total War games. Anyone try the co-op campaign?

Stop copying me.

I'm waiting on MrBob's dumb ass to get the game installed but I think we're gonna give co-op a shot whenever he gets his act together.

eznark said:
Stop copying me.

I'm waiting on MrBob's dumb ass to get the game installed but I think we're gonna give co-op a shot whenever he gets his act together.

Bah! I think I'm gonna just on that Amazon deal for $40 soon. So many games I want to get this spring, killing me.

Almak

Ok, it looks like I’m going to need some help here guys. I am just not having any fun at all with the game so far.
I went through the tutorial campaign without any major issues and I do think that I grasp the main ideas of combat and overworld map mechanics but it seems like whenever I try an actual campaign, I always end up being completely steamrolled by the AI (even on the lowest difficulty).
The combat also seems a bit overwhelming to me. This is generally not the type of a strategy game I go to, so having so many pieces at play simultaneously with all the special abilities most of the units have and formations on top of that ends up being very intimidating to me.
Is there any advice you guys can give me? Is there anywhere specific I should start? I really want to like this game but it sure isn’t making it easy for me to do.

Darkkn

Almak said:
The combat also seems a bit overwhelming to me. This is generally not the type of a strategy game I go to, so having so many pieces at play simultaneously with all the special abilities most of the units have and formations on top of that ends up being very intimidating to me.
Is there any advice you guys can give me? Is there anywhere specific I should start? I really want to like this game but it sure isn’t making it easy for me to do.

Some tips:

- You can pause battles and give commands at your will(speed controls are on top of radar map)
- Use skirmish mode for archers and put another unit like yari behind bowmen. When enemy is close to engaging your bowmen, they retreat and enemy clashes with your yari instead.
- Cavalry eats bowmen. In mid stages of the battle there is usually opportunities to engage bowmen while avoiding any yari or samurai.
- Don't be too hasty to engage, if you have more bowmen shooting at them than they have at you, feel no rush to engage and let enemy come at you.
- Generals rally ability is really good and you can easily cruise your general close to engaged troops that might need morale boost, use ability and then get out.
- Sandwich enemies. Yari are good at taking on charging enemy forces but you should also sandwich enemy by maneuvering katana or cavalry units at their back side.

schragnasher

Neo Member
With regards to combat difficulty it might be helpful to start off making some small battles in the custom battle mode. Like 6 or 7 units. Or play small 5k pts multiplayer battles. Using a full army of different units can be very crazy at first.

Also take your time. Battles like these are not fast like in SC2. Take your time and use formations. Act like a real general would. Stay in the back, direct your troops and keep together.

Also check out the little controls under the portrait in the lower left corner. Select all your troops and hold down the buttons there. Very helpful to move formations, it will streamline alot of what you likely are having issues with.

Mrbob

eznark said:
Stop copying me.

Hahaha, I got the game from Amazon but I also have a new hdd that I'm going to install. Currently backing stuff up on my old hdd and will install Shogun 2 once I have the new one up and running.

Bust Nak

Almak said:
Some simple advice to get you going.

Go to custom battles and give you and the AI the same army. Watch what the AI do and match them. Make sure you use the general's rally ability if any of your units have flashing white flags, this is the most single important special ability you need to learn. Once your melee troops are engaged in a mass blob. Get your archers to target their general. If you get him to run or kill him, you can get a chain rout.

Next level up would be positioning and morale, a longer line of melee troop (ashigaru spearmen in a wall formation is great for this) can tie up two enemy units for a short while, freeing one of your unit to run around the enemy. Give yourself lots of room while moving round, so your outflank unit don't clip the enemy and get into melee too soon, and also leave room to build up speed for the charge bonus once you are behind them. You should be able to beat an equal unit match up. Keeping your general close will boost you units' morale too.

Next level up would be the rock paper scissors-ish gameplay. Swords beat spears, spears beat cavalry, carvalry beats archers (by getting into melee quickly) archers beats no-one in melee but you need them to deal damage at range.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What is the deal with the tactical battle camera in this game? I seem to remember all other Total War games limiting how far you could move the camera around, depending on what your troops could see. In Shogun 2, I can move it all over the battlefield. I looked in the options and didn't see the ability to limit camera view.

Is that aspect just gone now?

DrBo42

Woah woah WHAT? There's a co-op campaign? How the fuck did I miss that? Alright if one of you is down let me know, drbo on Steam.

Sethos

Banned
DrBo42 said:
Woah woah WHAT? There's a co-op campaign? How the fuck did I miss that? Alright if one of you is down let me know, drbo on Steam.

Was even in Empire and Napoleon as well, although was patched in later in Empire.

DrBo42

Sethos said:
Was even in Empire and Napoleon as well, although was patched in later in Empire.
Empire was my first Total War. Played it for 4 hours and then uninstalled. Haha. Shogun has definitely won me back though.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
FlyinJ said:
What is the deal with the tactical battle camera in this game? I seem to remember all other Total War games limiting how far you could move the camera around, depending on what your troops could see. In Shogun 2, I can move it all over the battlefield. I looked in the options and didn't see the ability to limit camera view.

Is that aspect just gone now?

Yea it's gone, but troops that aren't in your FOV don't show up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've really got to dig into this soon. Rift has been taking up all of my gaming time recently, and I almost forgot I had this pre-ordered!

Really enjoying this, AI seems way, way more aggressive than in previous games.

Playing as Shimazu (like everyone else it seems) and was really surprised to find Hojo landing a large army on the west of my island. Managed to set up and ambush and slaughtered them. It's nice to do ambushes actually could never pull them off in previous games.

How are you guys going about defending the main island? I was thinking I'd need three good size fleets, one for the south-east, one for the north and one for the west to guard the trade spots.

Top Bottom