• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

Mahonay

Banned
Scripting isn't the problem it's over scripting where people sound like robots reading off a page and the forced use of verbage and buzzwords that no normal person uses.
This is a much larger problem on RAW. It's not watchable to me at all at this point because it is so incredibly plagued with that shit.

klonere

Banned
This is a much larger problem on RAW. It's not watchable to me at all at this point because it is so incredibly plagued with that shit.

Damn, did you hear Sasha ROAST Charlotte? PRINCE CHARLES LMAO XD but then Charlotte fired back with da Sasha WANKS holy shit that's not PG!!!!!

I kinda feel like if Corgan wants to do a wrestling company at this stage he might be better off ditching TNA and just doing his own indie shows now and again. Have fun and probably make a small profit off small investment. A fun side thing to do now and again.

Unless being on TV is THAT important. But I just dont see TNA ever making money.

Kaladin

I kinda feel like if Corgan wants to do a wrestling company at this stage he might be better off ditching TNA and just doing his own indie shows now and again. Have fun and probably make a small profit off small investment. A fun side thing to do now and again.

Unless being on TV is THAT important. But I just dont see TNA ever making money.

Buying TNA and using it's assets to create something new would be a better bet.

Kaladin

Not when TNA is million of dollars in debt and has no sources of revenue other that selling the company.

The debt is something any buyer would have to consider in the purchase price.

You buy the company, rename it and start it off with a clean slate of debt and then use the assets in a smart way to create a new wrestling company for TV. If you have the capital, there are existing assets and contracts there that can be put to use and made into a decent wrestling company.

Best case scenario: WWE buys TNA for the tape library, takes whatever talent they want and then Corgan (or whoever) creates a new promotion with the guys left behind and tries to pick up where TNA left off.

Kaladin

Plus you have to deal with apathy. Outside of the hardys stuff no one gives a,shit about TNA. Every wrestling promotion has passed them by

That's why in any scenario, if it is bought by Corgan, WWE or a third party, it needs to be renamed and start from zero if you're buying it to keep it as a promotion.

TNA has to be done unless Dixie can pull of a hail mary and keep it alive past Bound For Glory.

Scripting isn't the problem it's over scripting where people sound like robots reading off a page and the forced use of verbage and buzzwords that no normal person uses.

It's over scripting, forced buzzwords and breaking kayfabe too often. Sasha is SO bad at this and it really brings down her character.

Sephzilla

if Miz drops the belt, he should definitely move on to the main event picture.

only issue is keeping Miz hot coming out of the match.

If I had to book it, Ziggler gets desperate and cheats to win. Miz beats the crap out of Ziggler post match, picks up the IC title, stares at it, and then throws it at Ziggler. walks off into the main event picture.

it's 50/50, but it's also WWE. keeping Miz strong should be the priority.

I'd have Miz beat Ziggler, keep the IC belt, and take it with him to the main event scene.

CHAMPION VS CHAMPION

Listening to Lapsed Fan Fox Edition and wow this really feels like history repeating itself. I didn't watch much of this era but a lot of things are being brought up that feel similar:

- Brand split
- Smackdown beating RAW
- Ratings of 3.1 being considered terrible
- Authority/Haitch
- Bringing belts into the brand split for the sake of pushing wrestlers

somedevil

John Pollock doing his Connor impression saying parts of promo from Nikki and Naomi last night was hilarious.

edit: Starts at 26:30

gun_haver

Smackdown is undeniably much better than Raw since the brand split and not just in a 'smarky' push the people we want to push kind of way. In fact, it's the the opposite. The people the internet wanted pushed are all on Raw, many of them getting pushes, and it isn't working because it feels exactly like Raw like before the brand split. It's hard to pin down the exact things that are causing this, at least for me, but it's definitely there. The people we had all given up on, or never even really thought about, are producing the most entertaining stuff I've seen since I came back to wrestling. It doesn't feel the way it was, at all.

The only segment I skipped this week was the 8 man tag and that isn't because I'm not interested in the feuds and characters going on there, it's just because it's a patented 'doesn't matter, fill time' kind of match. That's fine. The tag division is looking much stronger than it did even a month ago and there will be intrigue to come there, it was just on the backburner this week.

Miz/Ziggler, Cena/Style/Ambrose, Lynch/Bliss and even Orton/Bray are all hot feuds doing interesting and new things every week. This week Lynch/Bliss also took a backseat on the main show - but Becky delivered a very good promo on Talking Smack and I'm sure we'll get to this again next week.

Miz has become possibly the most interesting part of the show, after years of being nothing but a boring nuisance. John Cena delivered a fantastic speech on Talking Smack that makes it very plausible that he would be the legitimate and over face in a feud against a heel Dean Ambrose - it is leaning on reality heavily and working it into a hot feud. I can see a very good Cena/Ambrose singles feud in the near future. It is a shame Cena is going to depart for a few months after the PPV because a full heel turn by Ambrose in the triple threat leading to a hardcore style grudge match against Cena at TLC is where this really should go.

AJ Styles is positioned correctly as the champ although he does need a proper singles feud soon with somebody else. I'm not sure who that could be but I suppose Orton is the best candidate after he is through with Wyatt.

Getting to Wyatt - he is by far the most boring part of SD on an average week, and even this week when he was actually talking he was boring as ever, but the horror movie skits were a lot of fun and gave this feud some new life that it absolutely doesn't deserve to have at this point.

The closest thing to an afterthought on the show is Nikki/Carmella, and even this is moderately interesting because of the situations of these two characters. With any luck, they'll have a good match at No Mercy and it will elevate Carmella.

Smackdown has taken a roster of rejects, has beens and never would bes and made almost every one of them entertaining. It shouldn't be as good as it is, but it is.

If there is one thing, and it isn't a criticism, that I'm disappointed in with Smackdown is that it doesn't have more people on the roster. At this point, I think they could even make Jack Swagger interesting given a little bit of time. Right now nthough, you've got a situation where almost nothing is being wasted. Sure, a few guys like Apollo Crews could potentially have a lot of upside, but he's got time.

And the most important thing is - when Smackdown ends, I'm thinking about what is going to happen next. When Raw ends, I'm thinking about what else I could have been doing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bray continually being a cartoon character went from being amusing to just annoying really fast.

It's going to look REALLY thin in the top babyface department when you have nothing but Ambrose and Orton and Cena's out of the picture. I don't know where Shinsuke Nakamura fits into their long-term plans but it makes no. fucking. sense. that this guy is performing for 200 people a night while getting paid like he's performing for 10,000.

cordy

Banned
So the superstar ratings came out for 2K17. LOL.

AJ Styles - 89
Andre The Giant - 80
Alundra Blaze - 87
Arn Anderson - 86
Asuka - 85
Bayley - 86
Becky - 83
Big Cass - 84
Big Show - 83
Bo Dallas - 67
Braun Strowman - 78
Bray Wyatt - 87
Bret Hart - 90
Carmella - 70
Cesaro - 88
Charlotte - 86
Jericho - 87
Jericho 01 - 92
Axel - 68
Daniel Bryan - 89
Dean Ambrose - 90

Edge - 90
Finn Balor - 88
Goldberg - 92
Hunter Hearst Helmsley - 78
Usos - 84
Kane - 79
Kane 98 - 89
Kevin Owens - 86
Lita - 87
Nikki Bella - 84
Randy Orton - 88
Randy Savage - 91
Razor Ramon - 88
Ric Flair - 91
Roman Reigns - 89

Rock - 92
Rock 01 - 91
Sami Zayn - 86
Samoa Joe - 87
Sasha Banks - 86
Seth Rollins - 93

Shawn Michaels - 89
Shinsuke Nakamura - 86
Stone Cold Steve Austin - 95
Sting - 87
Sting 91 - 87
Sting 99 - 90
Stunning Steve - 83
Triple H - 89

Triple H 01 - 93
Trish Stratus - 87
Undertaker - 93
Undertaker 01 - 93
Undertaker 91 - 91

The people the internet wanted pushed are all on Raw, many of them getting pushes, and it isn't working because it feels exactly like Raw like before the brand split.

Yup. This really exposes how bad the writing is for Raw. They seem to be actually trying to do something different with Smackdown and it's working.

AJ Styles - 89
Andre The Giant - 80
Alundra Blaze - 87
Arn Anderson - 86
Asuka - 85
Bayley - 86
Becky - 83
Big Cass - 84
Big Show - 83
Bo Dallas - 67
Braun Strowman - 78
Bray Wyatt - 87
Bret Hart - 90
Carmella - 70
Cesaro - 88
Charlotte - 86
Jericho - 87
Jericho 01 - 92
Axel - 68
Daniel Bryan - 89
Dean Ambrose - 90

Edge - 90
Finn Balor - 88
Goldberg - 92
Usos - 84
Kane - 79
Kane 98 - 89
Kevin Owens - 86
Lita - 87
Nikki Bella - 84
Randy Orton - 88
Randy Savage - 91
Razor Ramon - 88
Ric Flair - 91
Roman Reigns - 89

Rock - 92
Rock 01 - 91
Sami Zayn - 86
Samoa Joe - 87
Sasha Banks - 86
Seth Rollins - 93

Shawn Michaels - 89
Shinsuke Nakamura - 86
Sting - 87
Sting 91 - 87
Sting 99 - 90
Stunning Steve - 83
Triple H - 89

Triple H 01 - 93
Trish Stratus - 87
Undertaker - 93
Undertaker 01 - 93
Undertaker 91 - 91

In comparison to the ratings of everyone else the ones you highlighted don't seem that bad. Nakamura is a 96. AJ Styles should be higher. Reigns seems to be getting fucked considering how unstoppable they make him on TV. WWE TV keeps him at a 95.

Heroman

Banned

AJ Styles - 89
Andre The Giant - 80
Alundra Blaze - 87
Arn Anderson - 86
Asuka - 85
Bayley - 86
Becky - 83
Big Cass - 84
Big Show - 83
Bo Dallas - 67
Braun Strowman - 78
Bray Wyatt - 87
Bret Hart - 90
Carmella - 70
Cesaro - 88
Charlotte - 86
Jericho - 87
Jericho 01 - 92
Axel - 68
Daniel Bryan - 89
Dean Ambrose - 90

Edge - 90
Finn Balor - 88
Goldberg - 92
Usos - 84
Kane - 79
Kane 98 - 89
Kevin Owens - 86
Lita - 87
Nikki Bella - 84
Randy Orton - 88
Randy Savage - 91
Razor Ramon - 88
Ric Flair - 91
Roman Reigns - 89

Rock - 92
Rock 01 - 91
Sami Zayn - 86
Samoa Joe - 87
Sasha Banks - 86
Seth Rollins - 93

Shawn Michaels - 89
Shinsuke Nakamura - 86
Sting - 87
Sting 91 - 87
Sting 99 - 90
Stunning Steve - 83
Triple H - 89

Triple H 01 - 93
Trish Stratus - 87
Undertaker - 93
Undertaker 01 - 93
Undertaker 91 - 91
These ratings make no sense
I'm mean HHH = Shawn the fuck.

ReiGun

Dean Ambrose has been catching it from all sides these last couple of months. Shit on by Austin and Cena, fans starting to turn on him, and even got dudes on Raw taking (albeit in jest) pot shots at him.

And I can't say it's entirely undeserved. Dean's matches haven't been the best of late, and you really get a sense that he doesn't care. But I do wonder how much of it is resting on his laurels, and how much of it is feeling like the work he does do goes unnoticed. You definitely got that feeling during his promo on Talking Smack last week and in his Steve Austin interview.

Cena was dead wrong when he said Ambrose is still "trying to figure it out." Dean was over as fuck when the Shield broke up. Hell, he was over as fuck just a few months ago. He's still over, though not as much. The difference between Dean and Seth/Reigns is that while they headed off to the main event scene, Dean was hanging out in the mid-card. The other two became the company's pet projects and Dean was just kind of left behind.

And the truth is, all three have failed to an extent. They pushed the button too soon and too hard on Reigns and now it's too late to go back. Rollins lost time due to injury and the booking around him has been atrocious. And with Dean, they did nothing of note with him for so long that when they finally decided to do something, he no longer gave a shit.

The point is I don't think Dean has been entirely wrong in the things he's been saying. Neither were Cena or Austin, but mostly talking about Dean specifically. If you try to apply the "you're not working hard enough" spiel to the whole locker room, it comes across as bullshit because ain't shit happening for these dudes without the machine behind them. And the machine, as we are all aware, ain't exactly running smoothly these days.

Tagyhag

Dayum they made Heenan a 96, that's surprising.

...And Strowman a 78 while Bray is an 87.

I'm done bitching, it's Yuke's after all.

There is almost nothing out if line with those ratings. Of course Dean is so high with how strong he's booked. Of course Nak isn't that strong when he hasn't interacted with the main roster yet.

gun_haver

Interesting ratings if you take them to be an indication of the company's opinion of them a few months ago, which they probably are more or less. I'd imagine this is something WWE feeds into heavily to the developers.

A cool way to keep a WWE game feeling fresh throughout the year without spending much money would be to have those ratings be dynamic according to current booking - so, for example, having Owens jump up a bit to 89, having Styles jump up to 90-91, having Bayley go down to 83, Sami go down to 82, etc.

I dunno where Miz was but he's probably jumped up a few points by now, too.

Just keeping it in line with current power rankings.

Top Bottom