• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

2007 was a catastrophic year. Almost every WWE wrestler with any star power gets injured. Chris Benoit. Endless wellness violations. A swath of pro wrestling alumni start dying. TNA is so happy over signing Angle that they nearly torpedo their entire show and the first big cracks that led to their current situation start showing.

Recall

Backlash 2007 is a very special show and my own personal highlight of WWE in 2007. That 4 way main event is wild and it's so good in fact it helps you forget that Vince became ECW champ on the same show.

Recall

Said this one. Who has probably watched a lot more wrestling than most American wrestling fans

WCW and WWF were very difficult to watch, and were a poor year but I take it you were taking about the NJPW and AJPW goings on at the time?

Was SMW a thing in 93, I honest don't know?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really like 1993/1994 RAW, but it's also the period that attendance cratered in both WCW and WWE. Both did high school gyms during that period and didn't always sell them out. The double whammy of the sex scandal/steroids and end of all that entailed plus a massive restructuring of WCW lead to that.

1995 is probably the single worst year for both promotions creatively. ECW is actually quite nice that year though.

“WWE is a production,” Gowen said. “It’s a real, live, television production. They have stunt men come in and do things, especially in backstage segments. So, they had a stunt man take the bump for me, which was great. Right before the stunt man is about to take the fall, I’m standing up there watching them film it. Vince McMahon looks at me and he says, “You know, kid, if you want… you can take the bump. You can do it yourself if you want.” I said, “no thanks man.” I know I’m stupid but I’m not that stupid. I’m not going to fall down two flights of stairs in a wheel chair. I’m not trained to do that.”
Vince is a role model.

Vince is a role model.

I can't believe wwe had legit stuntmen. But then agian it would make sense considering that they have a lot of "security personnel" that come of the main entrance for specific story lines.

No wonder he was let go soon after. There is no room for cowards in World Wrestling Entertainment.

From what I've read, he left because he didn't know about the "unspoken rules" of the locker room.

Recall

2003 was by far the worst WWE year to the point I stopped watching until 2009. During that time I was 100% into my Indy wrestling mode.

CZW, ROH, IWA-MS, PWG, UWA and copious amounts of others. Hell I loved TNA from 2003 until 2005. 2003 to 2005 for NOAH was fucking incredible too.

It was the Christian vs Orton feud what dragged me back fully in to the WWE fold in 2011 along with ROH shitting the bed in 2009 and being truly awful and no longer satisfying to watch.

Nekofrog

Banned
watching clips from 98, it didn't matter how watered down or irrelevant goldust got, the shattered dreams setup and hit still got a huge pop even if the audience was bored in the match.

16 Wrestling Relatives that were never Acknowledged Onscreen (Slat Rock):

Randy Savage and Lanny Poffo
Sam Houston, Jake The Snake Roberts and Rockin' Robin
Jarry Lawler and the Honky Tonk Man
Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas
Rocky Johnson and the Wild Samoans
Barry O and Cowboy Bob Orton
Mike Rotunda (IRS) and Blackjack Mulligan
Brian Knobs and Greg Valentine (Knobs' married Valentine's sister)
Rikishi and Umaga
Undertaker and Michelle McCool
Mike Awesome and Horace Hogan
Road Warrior Animal and Johnny Ace
Verne Gagne, Greg Gagne and Larry Zbyszko (Zbyszko is the in-law of the Gagnes)
Dynamite Kid and British Bulldog
Dusty Rhodes and Jerry Sags (Dusty's brother in law)
Jerry Lawler and Brian Christopher

Awww son of a bitch /JR voice

I forgot to cancel my wwe subscription that I got for SummerSlam and now I'm in for the next month. Oh well. Time to check out clash of champions live then.

Recall

I woke up checked my podcast app and saw that there is no new lapsed fan :(

I don't really care for the 2 hours of fake emails but the other parts are what I need.

16 Wrestling Relatives that were never Acknowledged Onscreen (Slat Rock):

Randy Savage and Lanny Poffo
Sam Houston, Jake The Snake Roberts and Rockin' Robin
Jarry Lawler and the Honky Tonk Man
Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas
Rocky Johnson and the Wild Samoans
Barry O and Cowboy Bob Orton
Mike Rotunda (IRS) and Blackjack Mulligan
Brian Knobs and Greg Valentine (Knobs' married Valentine's sister)
Rikishi and Umaga
Undertaker and Michelle McCool
Mike Awesome and Horace Hogan
Road Warrior Animal and Johnny Ace
Verne Gagne, Greg Gagne and Larry Zbyszko (Zbyszko is the in-law of the Gagnes)
Dynamite Kid and British Bulldog
Dusty Rhodes and Jerry Sags (Dusty's brother in law)
Jerry Lawler and Brian Christopher
The Brian Christopher and King one is very funny. They did a great job in confusing the fan on that matter imo. I didn't know what to believe.

I don't want to see bad WCW, soo maybe around late 1999 early 00'? I'll feel it out but I definitely want to see as much as possible.

Can probably stop before then. Debatable on running up to the Wolfpac introduction, but it really goes from HOLY SHIT to "wut, why?" kind of quick. I guess the run up to Sting would make the most sense in terms of peak nWo.

But really, before '96 is even over look how watered down it gets:
Scott Norton
Buff Bagwell
Michael Wallstreet / IRS
Big Bubba Rogers / Bossman
VINCENT

Yes, they put Vincent in the hottest thing going.

Chono walking out in the nWo shirt was pretty bad ass though and that was '97

Now that I think about it, the only people who were in nWo that ever really felt like they embodied the whole thing were Hall, Nash and Steiner. Everyone else was kind of corny or not "cool" enough to fit it. And Hogan, while a GREAT heel turn, just put too much of the focus on himself and really brought down the group a bit.

It's the fortieth birthday of everyone's favorite CBO.

vkvVdke.gif

The more and more I revisit and keep up with the WWE, I can't even begin to imagine what the product would be like with 0 McMahon involvement (Vince, Shane, Steph, Haitch). No doubt about how much the helped build the product from Vince early on in the 80s up through the Attitude/Aggression/Invasion stuff. But man, just thinking about how radically different it would be without them is just hard. I feel like McMahon wrestling and the product is so ingrained at this point.

Zach

Fun fact #1: Unforgiven 2000 was exactly 16 years ago.

Fun fact #2: I'm down to the last six months of WCW. D: :D D: :D

Saw this posted on Scott Keith's blog even if it was just a link to a different site but it's a cool little article about some of the obscure belts WWE, WCW and ECW had.

WWE had a shoot belt before it was even cool.

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/obscure-wrestling-championships/
wlobscuretitles2.jpg

He actually passed away like two weeks ago.

I miss all of the old entities of championships. I wonder when they'll start adding lesser matches like those mentioned on the network.

Zach

For as much as Zach loves WCW no show is an A.
That's what the curve is for.

And I've said it many times: there are plenty of A+ matches, angles, wrestlers, moments, spots, etc. but something terrible or ridiculous always drags down even the best events.

In my opinion.

Top Bottom