• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SHOOTEMBER Wrasslin' 2016 |OT2| Sometimes You Just Need to Shoot for a Double

Menome

I've been paid and now have the Network back just in time for Clash Of The Champions.

Still haven't watched Over The Edge '99 yet.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dream, The Sandow vs Eli Drake promo has highlighted to me that E-li Drake schools Sandow on the microphone. Which says to me that the TNA quality of promo is just of a greater quality than the WWE one when Sandow as supposed to be 'one of the good ones'

Mahonay

Banned
Dream, The Sandow vs Eli Drake promo has highlighted to me that E-li Drake schools Sandow on the microphone. Which says to me that the TNA quality of promo is just of a greater quality than the WWE one when Sandow as supposed to be 'one of the good ones'
Sandow's promos post-Mizdow were fucking terrible.

Is it just me or is the wet hair and goatee look just the absolute most blandest look out there in all of pro wrestling today? Rollins and Reigns just seem interchangable to me at this point after looking at them in succesion.

0e479d0558384ac2ac71ef260cad8194_th.jpeg

c0208611_57e4f606400ba.jpg

Rusev too.

It's like these fuckers believe in the whole Samson and Delilah story. Styles and Bryan circa Summer 13' is the best look if you want the long hair + facial hair combo and it ain't even close.

Menome

Menome's Predictions for tomorrow:

Alicia Fox
The Club
Cesaro
Sasha Banks
Roman Reigns
Kevin Owens

Go out and bet on the opposite now!

Menome

HIATUS FAVE FIVE:

5. Orange

4. Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

3. Detective versus Detectives

2. Mob Psycho 100

1. Great Teacher Onizuka (2012 drama)

None of those are the newly-released Female Prisoner No.701 collection.

I actually love enough wrestlers currently to do a real Fave Five.

AJ Styles
Samoa Joe
Chris Jericho
Charlotte
The Usos

Charlotte. The only real heel left on Raw.

gun_haver

I find it hard to do any kind of real fav five because I don't actually really give too much of a shit about in-ring performance. Sure, I like to watch Cesaro and AJ wrestle more than I like to watch Ambrose or Big Show, because it's more immediately exciting - but it leaves no lasting imprint on me at all, really, just to witness impressive pro wrestling. And honestly, half the time, I can't tell bad from good. I seriously don't see what is so good about Bret Hart vs Stone Cold at WM13. It's boring to me! So slow. I enjoyed D Bry's wrestlemania 30 run but I'm not like, astounded by his little kicks. What makes him so good? I could be made to understand it, but I'll never feel it.

To me the in ring stuff is like a passing curiosity. No matter the era - pre-Attitude era stuff I look into now, Attitude Era, the Lapsed Era (which I think is an appropriate name for Post WM17 - 20?? you choose, maybe it continues) and now.

Pretty much the only situations where I'll sit and watch a match all the way are a) if i'm watching it live and therefore cannot skip through it (in which case I'll just leave it on in the background) or b) in the rare case when I have emotional investment in the ongoing developments beyond just 'who wins'.

But b) only happens 6 or 7 times a year since I came back to wrestling in 2014.

I suppose there is also novelty that sometimes catches my eye - ie Shinsuke's first match in the WWE, very entertaining. Haven't really sat down like that and watched closely since though. Or the cruiserweight match on RAW - there's definitely more to see there before I've seen it all so I'll keep an eye on this.

The truth is, wrestling itself IS boring, the second you know it is fake. I don't watch wrestling, I follow it. I don't know why but the business of it continues to fascinate me - booking decisions, controversies, the anatomy of the shows from lighting to match stipulations.

I spend probably 1-2 hours total on a non-PPV week actually watching wrestling and probably about 10 hours reading about it. Today I spent half the afternoon going through the wikipedia page of every New Generation PPV.

It really is the weirdest thing. I wonder why I manage to be interested in the production of a television show I am not interested enough in to watch. It's only when things completely out of the ordinary happen that I need to tune in and see. An unexpected title change. The return of a suspended superstar, how will they be presented. Etc.

But wrestling? It's all the same. After I see two or three matches by any wrestler, I never need to see another one unless they're doing something nuts like jumping off Hell In A Cell. The whole storytelling thing - it's the same story in the ring every time. I really don't see what working a particular limb adds to it beyond a little extra verisimilitude.

Anyone else?

Adree

HIATUS FAVE FIVE:

5. Orange

4. Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World-

3. Detective versus Detectives

2. Mob Psycho 100

1. Great Teacher Onizuka (2012 drama)

Re:Zero and Mob Psycho are great. Re:Zero does an amazing job of giving you every shitty anime protag and then grinding him to pieces until he starts being good.

klonere

Banned
I find it hard to do any kind of real fav five because I don't actually really give too much of a shit about in-ring performance. Sure, I like to watch Cesaro and AJ wrestle more than I like to watch Ambrose or Big Show, because it's more immediately exciting - but it leaves no lasting imprint on me at all, really, just to witness impressive pro wrestling. And honestly, half the time, I can't tell bad from good. I seriously don't see what is so good about Bret Hart vs Stone Cold at WM13. It's boring to me! So slow. I enjoyed D Bry's wrestlemania 30 run but I'm not like, astounded by his little kicks. What makes him so good? I could be made to understand it, but I'll never feel it.

To me the in ring stuff is like a passing curiosity. No matter the era - pre-Attitude era stuff I look into now, Attitude Era, the Lapsed Era (which I think is an appropriate name for Post WM17 - 20?? you choose, maybe it continues) and now.

Pretty much the only situations where I'll sit and watch a match all the way are a) if i'm watching it live and therefore cannot skip through it (in which case I'll just leave it on in the background) or b) in the rare case when I have emotional investment in the ongoing developments beyond just 'who wins'.

I suppose there is also novelty that sometimes catches my eye - ie Shinsuke's first match in the WWE, very entertaining. Haven't really sat down like that and watched closely since though. Or the cruiserweight match on RAW - there's definitely more to see there before I've seen it all so I'll keep an eye on this.

The truth is, wrestling itself IS boring, the second you know it is fake. I don't watch wrestling, I follow it. I don't know why but the business of it continues to fascinate me - booking decisions, controversies, the anatomy of the shows from lighting to match stipulations.

I spend probably 1-2 hours total on a non-PPV week actually watching wrestling and probably about 10 hours reading about it. Today I spent half the afternoon going through the wikipedia page of every New Generation PPV.

It really is the weirdest thing. I wonder why I manage to be interested in the production of a television show I am not interested enough in to watch. It's only when things completely out of the ordinary happen that I need to tune in and see. An unexpected title change. The return of a suspended superstar, how will they be presented. Etc.

But wrestling? It's all the same. After I see two or three matches by any wrestler, I never need to see another one unless they're doing something nuts like jumping off Hell In A Cell. The whole storytelling thing - it's the same story in the ring every time. I really don't see what working a particular limb adds to it beyond a little extra verisimilitude.

Anyone else?

holy shit we found Jeff Gerstmann's GAF account

Anyone else?

e624a44810ab5b19e2b8aa23abc8e5cee6d1e7ed_hq.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
None of those are the newly-released Female Prisoner No.701 collection.
70s man, way too old for someone as hip as me.

Re:Zero and Mob Psycho are great. Re:Zero does an amazing job of giving you every shitty anime protag and then grinding him to pieces until he starts being good.

Orange is great, too.

Anything in my FAVE FIVE is better than anything wrestling has done in at least three years.

gun_haver

hahah I just started typing and keeeeeept going. It's a little bit playing devil's advocate but I do feel like that a bit. I'd be interested to hear some counterpoints, especially on the in-ring storytelling thing.

DMczaf

Anyone else?

Worktober is next month.

klonere

Banned
I mean there's not much counterpoint because you clearly aren't that interested in in ring work that much apart from spectacle. So any arguments will be about those little details or athleticism in a match aren't really gonna hold much water.

gun_haver

I mean there's not much counterpoint because you clearly aren't that interested in in ring work that much apart from spectacle. So any arguments will be about those little details or athleticism in a match aren't really gonna hold much water.

i just want it to be clear i'm not saying 'can't believe you idiots all give a damn about the in ring stuff', it's more that i feel left out, just not getting a certain kind of enjoyment out of it a lot of the time. and it's becoming clear to me that once wrestling gets you back...it's fucking got you, so i don't think i'm going anywhere any time soon.

imBask

Banned

Anyone else?

my wrestling fan attention span prevents me from reading all of this

I generally find much of WWE's in-ring output to be very samey, it's all so homogenised and with the squeaky clean production it doesn't do much for me these days. You want in-ring storytelling, watch something else.

Fox318

On the subject I've always cared way more about promos & storylines compared to the in ring wrestling.
I care about if the match has any heat, then the work rate, then the story.

For example Hogan Rock X8 is fucking amazing.

Creating those moments is why wrestling is great.

imBask

Banned
I care about if the match has any heat, then the work rate, then the story.

For example Hogan Rock X8 is fucking amazing.

Creating those moments is why wrestling is great.

but "moments" are usually carried by storylines and characters, not wrestling

at least that's how I see it and that's what I love

gun_haver

On the subject I've always cared way more about promos & storylines compared to the in ring wrestling.

Well yeah for me this is the case too - the issue with WWE right now is, the promos are very lacking across the board with a few bright spots. If the stories were more engaging then I'd watch more matches. I said I was playing devil's advocate a bit before because -, while it is true many matches people consider to be classics, I can't stay focused on - I know that the stimulus for that post was I was looking at the Clash of the Champions and thinking 'man I like Kevin Owens and Seth Rollins but this PPV looks pretty boring. Nothing interesting is going on', while realising the match quality will probably be high and I will be entertained in the moment while I am watching.

I get the impression it's a pretty common thing - adults who watch spending a lot of time reading dirt sheet rumours and backstage drama. It makes total sense - it just adds another layer of story onto what you see on screen because alone, y'know, Cesaro vs Sheamus isn't that interesting. The prospects for Cesaro's career if they aren't even gonna give him this though, that's a little bit of drama I can latch on to, all the while Cesaro remains a terrible promo with no actual gimmick beyond 'is a good wrestler'. And I like Cesaro!

It's interesting to me that a few of you are just like 'what the fuck?' to my post. I knew there were a bunch of guys in here who were all about the in ring, but I figured I wouldn't be the only one would would probably rank that 3rd on the list of reasons why you continue to watch/

Top Bottom